Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

Project CARS 2_20171206141016.jpg Project CARS 2_20171202202916.jpg MP0XU2MXMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XU9TXMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XUP7XMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XUPZXMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XU8AYMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XUFHYMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XUOLYMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XU4QYMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XUT1YMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XU1VYMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XUTDZMIHAAASWE_.jpeg MP0XUH7YMIHAAASWE_.jpeg

Was doing some laps at Oulton Park, pre patch, quite a lot of pop up in the trees. Now that's all gone, looks better, I'm only on a 1080i TV though.

How can I remove the mirror that's appeared, when cockpit view, with track map on, wasn't there before.:boggled:

How can I remove the mirror that's appeared, when cockpit view, with track map on, wasn't there before.
I think this is what you are after John.
Hit pause while on track (or from the main options menu) and select edit HUD. You're then going to need the controller to switch to the interior view settings and click on the mirror to highlight it. I think it's the ∆ key to bring up further options amongst which is to turn the mirror off. Remember to come back down and hit save.

I've done the reverse in that I've turned the cockpit mirrors off and left the virtual one on. The cockpit mirrors tend to be a bit blurry and disabling them might save a few more FPS for use elsewhere.

If that's not what you're after - ignore me. :P

The visuals I think are much improved using the enhanced setting (pro). It's actually in the virtual mirror that it's very obvious, there's no pop down(?) now.
The sound is also somewhat more balanced too, I've had a re-tweak, and there's more rumble than before which is better. It seems strange but I'd recommend turning down the players engine volume. Perhaps as much as half way or even below. I set all the sliders to zero and gradually increased each one until each set of sounds was about right. The engine volume tends to overpower all the rest losing much of the more subtle effects - including the kerb rumble.
If anyone wants the settings I'm currently using I'll post them up.

How's your butt now @Sick Cylinder - is it being kicked? The LFE output channel probably won't come out of your TV headphone socket.

Thanks for posting that Joe - it was very interesting and informative. I probably won't be able to use the new feature for several reasons: you can have up to 16 racers, but they have to be decided on before round 1. In my experience full rooms normally need 22-24 members - you normally get 10-12 regular drivers with the rest being reserves who don't compete in all the rounds - normally a few people will leave before the end of the series and need to be replaced. The new feature doesn't allow you to add new drivers if people leave the series

Also, the Administrator has to be present to start each round - you can't have a Deputy Host. The points system used is the F1 system, which is different to the one we use so I would need to go in and manually change all the points. I think there are too many limitations for the new feature to be usable by our room.

[QUOTE="John Wells, post: 12101099, member: 149752"]Was doing some laps at Oulton Park, pre patch, quite a lot of pop up in the trees. Now that's all gone, looks better, I'm only on a 1080i TV though.

How can I remove the mirror that's appeared, when cockpit view, with track map on, wasn't there before.:boggled:[/QUOTE]

I've also noticed that the mirror has appeared, but for now I've decided to leave it on - can't have too many views of the fast guys about to lap me!

I haven't noticed anything different about the visuals - they look good, but to me they looked good before.

[QUOTE="IfAndOr, post: 12101190, member: 247631"]The sound is also somewhat more balanced too, I've had a re-tweak, and there's more rumble than before which is better. It seems strange but I'd recommend turning down the players engine volume. Perhaps as much as half way or even below. I set all the sliders to zero and gradually increased each one until each set of sounds was about right. The engine volume tends to overpower all the rest losing much of the more subtle effects - including the kerb rumble.
If anyone wants the settings I'm currently using I'll post them up.

How's your butt now [USER=179535]@Sick Cylinder
- is it being kicked? The LFE output channel probably won't come out of your TV headphone socket.[/QUOTE]

Please share your sound settings @IfAndOr I haven't noticed any difference in the sound personally. I haven't been able to check my Shakers and Buttkicker yet, but hopefully will do soon. In theory the LFE signal should come through the TV headphone socket with no problem - if the signal is stereo the LFE should be split across both channels and only separated out if the signal has a dedicated .1 channel. If I can't get a decent LFE signal I will need to purchase a second surround sound amp (one with a dedicated .1 output) and split the optical audio signal or get an amp with an HDMI input and split that. It is very frustrating that the PS4 has so few connection options compared with the PS3 - I used to use all the outputs at once on the PS3 - HDMI to the TV, optical to the surround sound amp and stereo to the Buttkicker amps.

I recently had a chat with @Skip7950 - He asked me to pass on his regards to John Wells, IfAndOr and all other Racers. He is hoping to be fit enough to start racing again during 2018. Get well soon Skip - there will always be a place in "Sick's Race Room" for you![/user]

Tonight will be my debut wheel race – thankfully Oulton is one of my favourite tracks so hopefully won't be too embarrassing!
My Playseat Challenge got delivered literally just as the patch arrived for download... since then I've mainly been driving the Ginetta Junior in my career mode (great learner car) but I did have a few laps in the DBR1 at Spa Historic for a bit of fun. The Aston's straight-ahead steering deadzone is so much more pronounced on the wheel, and although it's quite difficult the constant challenge makes the car so enjoyable to drive. Looking forward to tonight's race...

A brief report from today’s race:

The tires were far from their optimal tire pressure. Maybe it was the track or SMS modified something on the tire model. But when they got above 30psi, or anything above 28 actually, the car became much twitchier, up to the point that my fastest lap in qualifying was my first one. I tried to go back to pits to start with cold and deflated tires but for some reason I had 89 kg of fuel after going back to pits... In any case, it could have been the track, not allowing any break for the tires.

In race I tried to overcome this, but I really struggled for consistency. @Napalm_LT showed great consistency and pace throughout the whole race.

Apologies again to @Sick Cylinder for misreading his intentions when letting me pass. Happy you didn’t get a contact warning.

I am a bit disappointed on myself due to the amount of minor (and some not so minor) mistakes I have made on this race. I wish I have done better on my home track.

Last, the penalties. Way too harsh. Had a few warnings where I needed to almost get the car to a halt. A lot of people are complaining on SMS forums so it’s likely they’ll revise them for patch 4. In any case, something to get used to in the meantime.

Results from Oulton Park

View attachment 698837

Can't get how lap times is calculated :) Table shows my fastest lap was 0,7 slower than @IBZ6L20VT, but in my fastest lap I was slower 0,7 at T1, 0,48 at T2 and 0,54 at T3, so whole lap should be slower for 1,7 seconds :)
This race was much better than I expected, did practice on Sunday and after 40 min. I still hadn't lap time :).

@John Wells I don't know if I touched again you in qually (hope no?). I saw in the mirror you spined, so sorry again if it was due to me.

Race Report - Round 11 of 12 - Oulton Park International

I knew this round would be a big challenge - and it was! In qualifying I got to within a second or so of my best time, which was good enough for 5th. I was hoping to improve further, but slipped off the track and my session finished with the car upside down! The car felt normal on the grid, but unfortunately when the race started it speared right, right, right into the pit wall - the steering wheel was turned 360 degrees to the right! I lost a huge amount of time getting the car going and was obviously dead last.

Joe was having some difficulties transitioning to his new wheel - it will come Joe (normally the better you are with a controller the longer it takes to get better with a wheel). I think it took me about five seconds to get better with a wheel, because with my big hands I could barely even hold the controller let alone mash any of the buttons!

Next I got past John Wells, then I was surprised and delighted to be behind old friend and foe @IfAndOr in his Maroon Aston. I felt like Mike Hawthorn chasing his mon ami mate Peter Collins - IfAndOr was really driving beautifully and it was lovely to get into a groove behind him, copying his lines and trying to hang onto his tail. During that period of the race I set my fastest lap. IfAndOr set a very fast time and was gradually pulling away, then unfortunately he crashed and I inherited another position!

I was then able to cruise home - Richroo was a long way ahead in 4th place and IfAndOr dropped a long way back in 6th - presumably having lost his rhythm. The leaders DD84UK and @Napalm_LT were setting an incredible pace so I knew it was inevitable that I would be lapped before the end of the race. I tried to hug the inside of a corner so DD84UK could go round the outside, but I wasn't far enough over and there was slight contact.

Next Round 12 (Final Round) from Spa Historic (Fog) - 18th December 2017

The next round will be Spa Historic with Fog. If you want to practise in the same conditions, the settings will be: date 18/06/17, time 15:00, Fog - the lightest setting - note there are only two fog settings in the game now, but this one gives plenty of visibility. It should add something special to the atmosphere. For the Spa race I am going to add AI drivers - their behaviour has been improved in recent patches. We will try about 6 AI and they will be set at a level competitive with the slower drivers such as myself and John (this level will be communicated before the round, but at Oulton it would have been 79/50). If the addition of AI is successful at Spa they will be added to the Monday series for 2018. I have no plans to add them to the Wednesday series at present.

Changes to Championship Points System - For 2018 I have decided to switch from the MotoGP points system currently used to the BTCC system. This still awards points down to 15th place, but has a smaller margin between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Current system: 25, 20, 16, 13, 11, 10, 9 , 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0
2018 system: 20, 17, 15, 13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0

Note - Championship racing will stop for the Christmas Holiday and will resume on Wednesday 3rd January 2018 (GT4 Ginetta G55) and Monday 8th January 2018 (1966 Ford Mustang).

New Drivers (and Lurkers) - Although next round is the final round, this is a great time to join as it will guarantee you a slot in the Monday series which starts on 8th January 2018 with 5 rounds in the 1966 Ford Mustang and 7 rounds in the 1963 Lotus Type 25 F1 - we are recreating the 1965 Championship seasons for Roy Pierpoint (BSCC Mustang) and Jim Clark (Lotus F1) using (mostly) original tracks.

1965 Career Poster Dated.jpg

Several things really didn't feel right to me in lastnight's race. As Sick says it will take time for me to transition to the wheel to the point where I become quicker than on a pad – especially with oversteery historic cars – but there were several other odd instances lastnight that gave me more trouble than I expected. As I mentioned before the race, I tested the DBR1 as Spa and it felt great and my confidence was building lap by lap. Quite the opposite lastnight!
  • In quali, I started with my fuel gauge in single figures, 6.7L or something. I couldn't complete a lap as I was spinning on every other corner even with tyres warmed. With 3 mins to go, I got frustrated and returned to pit box. It sends me back out with 50-odd litres of fuel – straight away the car feels a lot more stable (likely due to more weight over rear wheels, plus the tyre pressure issue mentioned by @IBZ6L20VT ) and I'm only stopped putting in a decent lap (by my standards!) by session ending. I get the fuel weight physics part, but surely it's a bug for fuel loads to vary so drastically in quali – or even change at all – when we're using stock setups?
  • FFB seemed completely different from when I was testing the DBR1 a few days before. It was as if there was no tone at all, meaning I couldn't 'feel' any of the slides, which is pretty crucial for driving the Aston!
  • Penalties. Even if I had been able to actually keep my car on track (lol), my race would've been over pretty much from the beginning. Off the line I had to swerve to avoid Sick after his odd wheel error (maybe your wheel didn't return to centre after ending quali upside down? – that looked funny when I passed you btw!). In doing so I had to cross some white hatching marks near pit entry but stayed on the concrete and managed to keep on the tail of the pack – then was told I have to give position back to p6. Since Sick and John (I think?) had crashed, that would've meant waiting for them so ignored it and got a DT. Unlucky but I suppose we'll all get our fair share of contentious decisions for and against us over time. I was more concerned about the 37-sec penalty I got later on for a single accidental corner cut – one that incidentally lost me time anyway! Regardless of it all, I just couldn't get into any type of rhythm.
Anyway, now that's off my chest, looking forward to foggy Spa – I'll hopefully get some more practice time in the Aston before then to familiarise myself with it a bit more. Maybe it's just that the car is a lot better suited to a fast, flowing (if not f*ing scary!) circuit like Spa than a 'busy' one like Oulton where the brakes overheat through near continuous use.

I managed to get a bit of free time so I thought I'd pop in. :)

The Aston is certainly not a car you can just jump in and go though. I did a little practice during the afternoon and had eventually become fairly consistent in it. However online the loose rear end seemed to be even more floppy which caused me to become quite acquainted with the barriers! During the race I did eventually get into a bit of a rhythm until about my usual 20 minute mark when I start thinking about other things, lost concentration and it's hello barriers again.

I agree with Joe, the penalties do seem somewhat harsh and indeed slightly random at times.
Joe, I've mapped the adjustable FFB settings to my external keypad so they can be tweaked on the fly. It might have helped you.

One thing I did try was enabling the spotter option. The guy giving you positional information about all the cars around you turned out to be very accurate and helpful. Well worth a go if only for online.

Hopefully I'll see you again soon.

Napalm I moved over at hairpin, too let you pass, but went on the grass and spun.:drool:

Joe I got drive through after overtaking a spinning car that, was of track, then was getting slow down penalty Old Hall Corner.

These things slowed down my rythem.

I don't really understand the penalty situation with the game because as a result of excessive penalties early in this championship I cut them from a maximum of 10 seconds to the minimum level which is 5 seconds and they had been ok as a result. Since the patch SMS seem to have gone a bit crazy with the penalties! Hopefully this will be fixed in a future patch.

In practise for Oulton (and in the race) I found that it was best to use higher gears in order to reduce wheelspin. At Silverstone I was taking the engine to the redline before changing up, but there was plenty of space for the car to move. At Oulton I was using the torque and short shifting to control the wheelspin coming out of the many, tight, low speed corners. It might not have been the fastest way, but it felt safer.

Yes Joe - the steering went awry while the car was on its roof in qualifying and it didn't self centre - I set off thinking the car would go straight, but the wheel was really turned hard right - I' m sorry this interfered with your race.

It might be helpful if people let me know what AI level they are comfortable with at Historic Spa. If we had been running with AI drivers I would have been ok with 79/50 at Silverstone and Oulton (I won't take it above 79 because that is the limit for the AI on default setups - aggression level I have found to be ok at 50 since the patch). At Spa I might need to set it lower than 79/50. AI don't seem to be doing as much ramming at the start since the latest patch. Hopefully I'll be able get some practise in on Wednesday or Thursday.

4:17.5xx

My previous lap was invalidated because a previous minor excursion into the grass but it is an indicative sub 4:20 lap.

Not many advices here. I just did my first lap on this track yesterday and found that as a rule of thumb the dangerous corners have double barrier in the exterior.

If you manage to watch until the end you’ll notice my attempt of heel-toe braking for the hairpin. It’s one of my purposes for next year... master that technique.

Don’t forget to turn on HD.

Enjoy!

Thanks for video DD84UK. Best I have managed so far is around four and a half minutes. Hopefully get some time this weekend for a few laps.

I've just watched a nice "Petrolicious" video featuring the Maserati Tipo 61 "Birdcage" presented by Marino Franchitti. This is definitely a car I would love to drive in the game against the DBR1 and if SMS could ger Maserati, perhaps we could have a 250F and it's F1 competitor the Aston Martin DB4/250 - probably won't happen, but one can dream! PS - The Classic Ferrari compeitor for the Aston and classic Le Mans DLC can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Does everyone have the Season Pass? Or are you waiting to just buy whichever DLC packs are your favourites? Or not bothering with the DLC at all? Does everyone have the pre-order bonus content? The Group 44 Jaguar E Type V12 is one of my favourites to drive. I was disappointed that some of the extra cars have very few liveries so they may be difficult to use for racing.

Thanks for video DD84UK. Best I have managed so far is around four and a half minutes. Hopefully get some time this weekend for a few laps.
You’re welcome.

Anything around 4:30 is a decent time.
Does everyone have the Season Pass?
I had in mind to buy the season pass since day one as a way of supporting the devs and also extending the life of the game. However, with so many things and combinations to try in game I just didn’t have the time to buy it and try the new cars.

If required, I’ll buy the season pass at any point. It’ll happen anyway, sooner than later.

Back