Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

To add to your confusion.

The G29 is £128.89 at Amazon today. Which is a bit of a bargain. No shifter though, but it's not really necessary.

I'm really quite happy with my G29. It's true it can be "clonky" on occasions but I've now got it running quite sweetly in PC2 after tweaking the various settings - even in the rally X. I can't disagree the T300 is probably a better wheel overall but then it is more expensive. The G29 peddles are great too and I like the extra buttons it has. The Logitech products seem to have the edge on reliability too.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

That is an amazing price - if I was in the market for a first wheel I would be very tempted!

For me the Curry's £154 deal including the shifter is better value.

I spoke to Currys about the T300, they said more stock is due within 7 days – trouble is the 30% off deal is only on for the next 6... :scared:

As it stands I'm going to wait to see if the T300 Alcantara becomes avaliable again (£280 with the 30% deal) in time and if it doesn't I'll get the £154 G29 + shifter next thursday. In the mean time I'll be looking for a bargain deal on a Playseat Challenge!

Thank you for the brilliant film @JockeP22 - you are a very talented man! Would it be possible to do a similar black and white film of the Aston Martin's at Classic Silverstone.

I ran out of time last week so didn't do a "Classic Corner" featuring some of my photos of classic cars from the 1950's, but I've got time this Sunday afternoon:

Classic Corner - Aston Martin DBR4/250

In February I was lucky enough to get the following shots of an Aston Martin DBR4/250 Formula One car. The DBR4 was heavily based on the successful DBR1/300 Sports Car including the same coil spring front and torsion bar, with de Dion tube rear suspension. It also shared the same engine, but in short stroke 2.5 litre form instead of the longer stroke 3 litre sports car unit. Both engines used three twin choke Weber carbs to produce 250bhp, the F1 at 7,800rpm, the sports car at 6,000 rpm. Just four examples of each car were built, the DBR1/300 Sports Car achieving great success including three Nurburgring 1000km victories, the overall win at Le Mans and the 1959 World Sports Car Championship. The DBR4/250 F1 car was not a great success and by the time it made its debut the era of the front engined F1 car was coming to an end.

AM DBR4 1.jpg
AM DBR4 2.jpg

Below - view from the cockpit experienced in period by Roy Salvadori and Carroll Shelby among others.

AM DBR4 3.jpg

When it became obvious that success would not follow, the F1 Project was cancelled and the race department concentrated fully on winning the 1959 World Sports Car Championship. Below debut of the F1 car - and probably its best result.

Pre-season testing of the F1 car at Goodwood in 1959 which includes great shots of the Aston Martin Race Department and the Sports Cars.

Next Round 9 - Aston Martin DBR1/300 from Silverstone Classic

New Drivers Welcome - we have spaces available for clean drivers online novice or experienced

Race as allways - finish position worse than qualy.
Went of track and got DT. Tried to make a gap to 4 position an on the lap I want to pit, spined and lost 15 s :). It was my first race on this track so I didnt know how to enter pits and spined twice :)

@Sick Cylinder your pace there was very good.

Really good race with Joe, rich, car was very suited to the track. Have you got your wheel yet Joe?
I wondered what was happening Napalm, stopped to let you back on, then went in pits, you were doing quite well for first time on track.:)

What a great race! I really enjoyed the combination of the Aston Martin and the Silverstone Classic track - it felt very authentic and ideally suited to the car. I had done quite a lot of practise, but found that I could run reasonable times if there was a car to follow, but if on track on my own I got a bit lost with the width of the track and could easily lose several seconds of pace. Fortunately in the race Napalm and Richroo had some problems and when they overtook I was able to follow their good lines and maintain a reasonable pace.

I have made a couple of changes to the track schedule which I think will improve the series. The next round will now be at Monza GP Historic - this is a wide track which should give us more time to learn the Aston. The final round has been changed from modern Spa to historic Spa in fog. Note this is the thinner fog setting which still gives plenty of track visibility, but adds to the atmosphere of the race.

The revised track list is shown below and also at the start of the thread

1950 Track List Revised.jpg

Note - we now have 6 spaces for this series - if you have any friends who would like to race, we welcome all clean drivers - slow or fast equally welcome. To sign up, just leave a message and send a friend request to Sick_Cylinder2

Hi guys,

I couldn't have missed such a good combo yesterday. And what an evening!

I jumped straight into qualy and built my pace lap after lap. Managed to set the fastest time as I felt really comfortable with the car.

Then the race came and @AndreasR managed to put constant pressure on me. I struggled the first few laps as I didn't get the car to corner how I was doing during qualy. 15 minutes into the race and I made a small mistake on the last S section which Andreas wisely used to overtake. Two laps after I recovered the leadership of the race. I then managed to keep him at bay (just! He never got further than 1.5 seconds from me) until the end.

With permission of our 'official' photographer @John Wells, please allow me to share a few pictures I have taken yesterday after the race. I hope you like them.

MPE0V2BPWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VCCOWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VC-OWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VFHPWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VH2NWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VKROWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VU2OWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VW8NWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg
MPE0VZ6NWZ6AAASWE_.jpeg

PS1: @Sick Cylinder: Stop creating these amazing combos or you'll get me a divorce!

PS2: I don't know how people can say this game doesn't look good enough. I mean, looking at these pictures straight from the game, I can't see how someone can say this game is not up to standard.

I can't see how someone can say this game is not up to standard
But what about the jaggies? :P
I must say I'm finding it pretty good even without the graphical enhancements of the imminent patch. GTS has the edge on prettiness for sure (the cars have remarkable details) but I think the PCars tracks seem more alive, which in many ways makes them more realistic. The pixel count isn't everything.

Sorry @Sick Cylinder, I got your invitation and after a bit of practice during the afternoon I thought I may be able to have a race. However home life got in the way as it unfortunately has a tendency to do. Another time hopefully. The Aston is initially a bit of a handful! After recently driving GT3 & GT4 cars it came as a bit of a shock having to (try to) brake for the corners.

I believe the Aston Martin DBR1/300 is the current weapon of choice @Mr Tree. ;)

Monza with banks Sick, or not?

No banking John!

PS: I don't know how people can say this game doesn't look good enough. I mean, looking at these pictures straight from the game, I can't see how someone can say this game is not up to standard.

Agreed - maybe certain cars and / or tracks have a problem, but personally I rarely notice any graphical problems - too busy trying to control the car!

If I can get the spiking of my brakepedal fixed am I still welcome to join in? Also what car are we currently running?

You are always welcome back any time Mr Tree - race Monday and / or Wednesday whenever you are free. We have plenty of spaces at the moment. Aston Martin DBR1/300 on Monday's and BMW M1 Pro Car on Wednesday's.

PS - have you tried cleaning the pedals. A friend of mine has a dog and his need regular cleaning as somehow dog hairs get inside the pedal casing (I presume the dog doesn't race when he is not looking).

Sorry @Sick Cylinder, I got your invitation and after a bit of practice during the afternoon I thought I may be able to have a race.[/USER]. ;)

We need you back asap IfAndOr (subject to your availability of course). Please keep twisting the arms of @Zolon32 and @buybon355 as we desperately need a few more regulars - maybe they could download the free demo and if they like it enough perhaps ask Santa to leave a copy of the full game in their Christmas stockings!

I am really hoping for some more members as it will open up the possibility of Team Racing and Multi-Class racing - those are not really possible with low numbers.

My pedals always seem to attract dog hair too. And I haven't even got a dog! :dopey:
I'm thinking it might be it might actually be the cat. She likes to drive a Jag and has purrfect control of the brakes.

Please keep twisting the arms of @Zolon32 and @buybon355
I can't reach them from where I live. :)
Actually the demo is a good opportunity for anyone to test the waters without getting their feet wet. If that's possible.

Hi guys. Uploaded a sub 1:50 lap.

Very tricky track when looking to put a decent lap time. You need to use the braking to get the car rotating but if you’re struggling just brake on a straight line. When you gain some confidence start braking later.

Take it easy at first and don’t get frustrated. A lot practice is needed to master this combo. (I am not even close on the vid to maximise the car posibilities).

Enjoy!

Hi guys,

I was sick these past days and therefore unable to play.

I was thinking, if time allows, to post a lap at Oulton tomorrow.

Are any of you finding them useful? Do you want me to do them in any different way? Slower? Maybe faster? More comments?

Cheers,

David.

Race Report - Round 10 from Monza GP Historic

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play the game for about a week due to repaintin-
1:49.158. Good time in qualifying @AndreasR. Congrats!

Looks like I missed a good one. However I plan to join next week for sure and very likely for the last race at Spa.

Yes - the Spa one should be particularly good - the slight fog creates a wonderful effect, swirling around the car, varying in thickness, but still allowing plenty of forward vision of the track and with cars appearing out of the mist! SMS have really done a great job with the fog, but I am slightly disappointed to only have 2 settings rather than the 3 of PC1 - in that game the thinnest fog was excellent at Bannochbrae.

Hi guys,

I was sick these past days and therefore unable to play.

I was thinking, if time allows, to post a lap at Oulton tomorrow. Are any of you finding them useful? Do you want me to do them in any different way? Slower? Maybe faster? More comments?

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell - hopefully back to full fitness now.

The laps are good - if time allows perhaps post a slow one showing the correct racing line, braking points and turn-in points.

1:55.890. With a better use of the track width and braking later, plenty of time to make.

About making a slower lap, I could. However, I suggest to open my lap in the YouTube app (if you’re on a tablet/phone) or website if you’re on a PC, and first, change quality to HD and run the lap at 0.5x or 0.25x the reproduction speed.

Pay attention to my braking points and start braking slightly earlier and work from there, as usual. The lines would be the same ones regardless the speed. You can be less aggressive on some of the kerbs if you want the car to be more stable.

On another note, I’m rather disappointed on patch 3 regarding sounds. They have been improved but still lack oomph and bass, even with LFE at 100. I think you’ll still receive a weak/incomplete signal on your buttkicker, @Sick Cylinder.

Visuals on the Pro are better, but still far from even an average PC. Actually, you can notice on the video that the top of the windscreen is jagged compared to the previous patch, as now I’m running enhanced visuals instead of resolution.

1:55.890. With a better use of the track width and braking later, plenty of time to make.

About making a slower lap, I could. However, I suggest to open my lap in the YouTube app (if you’re on a tablet/phone) or website if you’re on a PC, and first, change quality to HD and run the lap at 0.5x or 0.25x the reproduction speed.

Pay attention to my braking points and start braking slightly earlier and work from there, as usual. The lines would be the same ones regardless the speed. You can be less aggressive on some of the kerbs if you want the car to be more stable.

On another note, I’m rather disappointed on patch 3 regarding sounds. They have been improved but still lack oomph and bass, even with LFE at 100. I think you’ll still receive a weak/incomplete signal on your buttkicker, @Sick Cylinder.

Visuals on the Pro are better, but still far from even an average PC. Actually, you can notice on the video that the top of the windscreen is jagged compared to the previous patch, as now I’m running enhanced visuals instead of resolution.

Thanks very much and thanks for the good suggestions.

Back