Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

Results from Silverstone

Silverstone GP (MON).jpg

Well done gents, that was excellent pace at the front.
I struggled a fair bit with the car; felt like Bambi on ice around the slow corners. Didn't help getting punted into the sand at Arena on lap 1, but with the limited visibility I guess that was always going to happen to someone.

Yes I had fun, thanks. Car feels more lose with stock setup and hard tires. With tuning you can make it more grip and pushed more to limit, but it was still fun to drive with stock.
@jammy21 Hope you had fun dude congrats on the win , nice of you to give our guys a break from the top :)

Sounds like you guys enjoyed yourselves, i couldn't make it anyway so no loss here lol .
i'll sit on the bench see how i feel ;)

Real drivers don't have spanners they have balls big ones ...
Ball bearings?

Not finding the time this week...
Rubbish. You're fired. :mischievous:

(What FOV do you use @WiSchmo ?)

Just a forewarning guys. Sick is resting his leg next week* so I'll be hosting next Monday's meeting, you'll get an invite from me. Expect storms and thick fog. OK, ok maybe not, but I might try to arrange some nice lighting. See you in Italy. Wear masks!

*It's on the mend and getting better. 👍

What FOV do you use @WiSchmo ?

I'm using the cockpit view, usually with the seat position quite forward close to the steering wheel and fairly low. In my chair, I'm about 1,5–2 m from a 43 inch TV.
Here are my FOV and movement settings:

EXpQgtVWAAUyk6r
EXpQgtOXsAAs_JD

An online calculator gave me a FOV setting of 40, but I find that ridiculously hard to drive with. Can't see anything anymore, really. With 65 it feels like a good compromise between visibility and realism.
Any specific reason you're asking, @IfAndOr?

Last edited:
Any specific reason you're asking, @IfAndOr?
It was just that some had mentioned the view out of the LMP2s was restricted, which it is, but in your video it didn't look too bad.

The FOV calculators also tend to give me a ridiculously low letter box view so I ignore them and adjust it to what I enjoy instead. Which is even higher than yours! With the speed sensitivity on it varies between a lower setting for slower corners and and a higher one for faster sections. Best of both worlds.

I do usually adjust the seat position slightly but for Sick's races, in some cars, it can get moved quite drastically, just so I can get a better view that helps me be safer online.

As a matter of reference here's my settings. (In kph)
PROJECT_.jpg

And here's my view out of the Ligier for a slowish corner.
Project CARS 2_20200510164933.jpg

Which pulls back to just a little more than this at speed.
Project CARS 2_20200510164746.jpg

I could do with ripping the wiper off. :)

You don”t see revs lights Paul - how do you know when to switch up?
My FOV is 54 and I need to move seat back a lot. If not, my view quite similar to yours and I don”t like that because I don”t see wheel and dashboard.
My wheel, G29, has got rev lights built in and they sometimes prove useful when I need to alter the view. Usually I don't have it that extreme and can see the dashboard.

As a rule of thumb, seating position does more than for me than the FOV. When I first enter a car, I move it forward quite drastically. Good, that the game saves the position invidiually for each vehicle :)

@Napalm_LT: Sometimes it's a compromise between seat position and seeing important information on the wheel. In the LMP2, I would like to be a little more to the front, but then I can't see the gear anymore

@IfAndOr: Looks to me that you are sitting pretty high. I find height the hardest to balance. Sitting low gives me a good driving feel and improves my consistency, but I really lose visibility in some cars

Last edited:
It was just that some had mentioned the view out of the LMP2s was restricted, which it is, but in your video it didn't look too bad.

The FOV calculators also tend to give me a ridiculously low letter box view so I ignore them and adjust it to what I enjoy instead. Which is even higher than yours! With the speed sensitivity on it varies between a lower setting for slower corners and and a higher one for faster sections. Best of both worlds.

I do usually adjust the seat position slightly but for Sick's races, in some cars, it can get moved quite drastically, just so I can get a better view that helps me be safer online.

As a matter of reference here's my settings. (In kph)
View attachment 919336

And here's my view out of the Ligier for a slowish corner.
View attachment 919337

Which pulls back to just a little more than this at speed.
View attachment 919339

I could do with ripping the wiper off. :)
What size is your TV that view look close for 87 or 90.?

I have the same settings as you @WiSchmo but i use the helmet

What size is your TV that view look close for 87 or 90.?
You'll be surprised. It's a 32" monitor at just over a arms length away.

Looks to me that you are sitting pretty high.
It is a little higher than I normally use, the extremely low position got me winding the seat up. Although it might look a bit drastic in the images my "head" is only about level with the side mirrors. After about 60 laps of Imola I'm quite used to it now. :P

You'll be surprised. It's a 32" monitor at just over a arms length away.

It is a little higher than I normally use, the extremely low position got me winding the seat up. Although it might look a bit drastic in the images my "head" is only about level with the side mirrors. After about 60 laps of Imola I'm quite used to it now. :P
I don't understand if it would be the same when I move seat back or set highier FOV? I don't like to trie and search for best settings, but seems you are the oposit man :). I like the feeling I have with my settings but don't like every time to move seat back (that was one of the reasons to buy button box - I need more buttons than wheel have).

I don't understand if it would be the same when I move seat back or set higher FOV?
The FOV adjusts the width of your area of focus while the seat moves that focus area around.

I find with a narrow FOV you are forced to concentrate on a limited view ahead which can be great for hitting apexes but I find it isn't very immersive, and not so good for spatial awareness either. It also compresses your sense of speed.
With my slightly wider FOV I can see more of my surroundings and gives me a sense of being in a car. And I can still concentrate on an area within that view if needed.

but seems you are the opposite man. I like the feeling I have with my settings
I think we probably are but as you say I think in the end it's what we like that matters. Our brains adapt to the views. :)

There was a similar discussion with @ILIV a while back, and this was his conclusion:
It's not possible to have a mathematically correct FOV with my parameters so I settled for a less ideal value but still much lower than the default 70. I experimented a bit and found a value that is a sensible compromise. I actually use the lowest value for the Cabin view and a little higher value for the Helmet view (my preferred view anyway). Basically, my approach was to keep it as low as possible without sacrificing corner views too much (so that I don't feel like I'm seeing through a hole in a box) and that I can see a bit of interior with my peripheral vision. If you think about it, when you're driving a real car and you look forward as you should do, you're focused on what's ahead of you and everything else becomes a blur. You can see only a little bit of interior and it's blurred. So, I set up my FOV to replicate that view. At first it was uncomfortable, but in Helmet view with the "head leaning towards the apex" option on I found it to actually work pretty well when I'm racing. The track always looks wide enough now. It's easier to drive when another car's rear is inches apart from your front, it feels intuitive and almost natural as far as I can judge. My only complaint is that the way I have it configured the sense of speed is kinda skewed. 150 kph feels more like 60 kph in real life. I have mostly tested this at Brno and the Dubai Autodrome GP, both wide open tracks so maybe it's just that. Maybe that's how it actually is perceived in real life too.
I know the opposite is commonly used in arcade racers. I call it the "Need for Speed" effect. Have a super large FOV with the entire arms and mirrors and all visible, and suddenly everything feels super fast.

Sums it up quite nicely, I think :P

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

here are my repalys from yesterday's Grand Prix of San Marino:

This is one of my favourite curcuits, and coupled with these awesome LMP2 cars, I can't wait to get going :D
I'd forgotten to do some practice starts but have a decent get away from P4 on the grid. I'm cautious into turn 1, having made mistakes here in past races with the Formula Rookie and Ferrari 512BB LM and duly receive a small bump from behind to remind me I'm not alone on the race track and hurry up ;) My exit out of the Variante Tamburello isn't very good and @Napalm_LT almost gets a run on me into the Variante Villeneuve. But there's hardly a braking zone here, and he wisely backs out of it.
From there it's the expected: the first 3 dissapear into the distance and I concentrate to build a gape to the drivers behind. But wait: I'm slowly catching up to @AndreasR as my laptimes get faster and faster. By lap 6, I'm on his tail and actually start to put some pressure on him. Feels nice, when it's the other way around for once :lol: However, whenever I close up to possibly mount a challenge down the long main straight, I mess up the downhill braking into the first Rivazza corner, like on lap 7. Chance blown :yuck:
I close the gap and again admire his diffusor by lap 9. But for the 2nd time, I mess up the brake point into the first Rivazza and almost run into the back of him. My pace is good, so I have already pushed the pit button to attempt the undercut. But @AndreasR wouldn't be a multiple series champion if he didn't know his racecraft. I see him diving in the pits in front in anticipation of my pit stop and decide in a heart beat to push until the end of the pit window. The first lap is quite fast, but the second only mediocre with a slide through the Variante Tamburello. When I sit in the pit box waiting for my crew to finish the service, I can see the seconds tick in the timing monitor. It's agonizing, and when I emerge from the pits, it's close. Very close! This is the fastest part of the circuit, and I deliberate for a second if I should cut in front of @AndreasR, but decide against it. Probably would have ended in tears, and I'm racing for fun, and not (or not mainly ;)) for positions. So why not chase him around some more :P
Unfortunately, it doesn't last long. You might have guessed it, all comes undone into the first Rivazza (again) :rolleyes: Missing my braking point with clockwork precision, I'm to eager on the throttle, as well. As a result, I spin my Ligier and when I finally get going again, the gap ahead is 15s...
From there, I drop my pace for the sake of consistency and enjoy what @IfAndOr has done with the weather settings, finishing the race in my starting position.

This is one of these "could have been races", but I had a blast again and that's what counts :cool: Cheers everone, can't wait for next week :cheers:

Rubbish. You're fired. :mischievous:

Employed again? :dopey:

Last edited:
...also there was fast fuel consumption setting...
I thought I'd turn that on to see what happened. It was only set to normal, not accelerated. Seemed to work ok. A bit heavier at the start to plant the car down and then gradually getting lighter to save on tyre wear. Well that was the intention.

I also turned the track limit penalty off since it's so easy to get a "slow down" at Imola. The approach speed of these LMPs could easily cause a problem with someone trying to get rid of a penalty.

I still managed to get a 10 second penalty for pit lane speeding. And I'd practiced! I'd been switching between mph & kph and managed to confuse myself. :dopey:

and again admire his diffuser
That's certainly one way to put Simba off! :eek:

I do like how you know the names of the corners. They are all turn 1, 2, 3 etc. to me.

Employed again?
Yeah not bad and quite prompt. I'll put you back on a probationary period to see how you do. :D

don't think anyone would abuse limits
I was relying on this with our group of racers, that any out of bounds moments were unintentional. And probably, in most cases, lost you time anyway.

Sorry @Napalm_LT I should have mentioned it on the PSN chat prior to the race.

Crunch .... went the bodywork on my car.
I originally intended for it to be darker towards the end of the race but realised that if someone had smashed the front of their car they wouldn't have any headlights. So some daylight remained. :)

Crunch .... went the bodywork on my car.. lol

I thought it was nice not getting a penalty for unintended mistakes, don't think anyone would abuse limits if they did don't count on being around for long :)

Sorry @Napalm_LT I should have mentioned it on the PSN chat prior to the race.

Don't get me wrong guys. I was to slow there and expected to get a bit closer after other slowdown to avoid penalty or gave penalty :). Thats it.
Our league and guys are superb. TBH - I am the one who have to many accidents.

Last month afer more than year brake I tried GTS. Played daily races about 4-5 hours and was confused. Most praise them but I was pushed of track almost every race. Not at the corners only but at the straights too. And this is at S ranked rooms. I was demoted to C drivers rank pretty quickly :). Probably I just don't know how to race in public rooms because 99 percent of my races last 2 years were at Sics room.
Or maybe everything is much simplier - bad dancer and balls interfere :)

Back