Morse code on Nike One 2022

• Thread starter Freq
  • 235 comments
Guys,

Again thanks for checking out the thread and all the kind words. I'll keep these coming as I dig them up.

Phil

amazing what results you can achieve in rhino.

i remember getting hold of an early beta version of rhino (something before v.1 i think) and even then the surfacing was fantastic.

will just have to keep watching and waiting for the new and exciting developments at PFD.

i don't know if it's at all possible, but are there any early concept pics of the Saleen S7 floating around the net. would love to see some of those.

Wow, that's some cool stuff. Totaly bogus about the polygon counts, but I guess that's what happens when you're that innovative. But just imagine the possibilies with the next gen consoles showing up (hopefully) by the release of GT5. Phil, we all trust that you'll come up with stuff that will make our heads explode when we see what's next.

Very cool car design and fun to drive in the game, but ...
pfd
Drivers of the Nike ONE describe it as a cross between wearing a machine and being a machine.
... we have those already--they're called "motorcycles" (and a fine thing they are, too).

Had the pleasure of my first spin in the glorious Nike One '22 the other day, and I'm impressed at how well it handles... a couple of laps of Suzuka and I'm am hooked... I particularly like the rear wing moving when you apply the brakes... nice work Phil and thanks for sharing the info with us 'end-users' here at GTPlanet! :)

Jackie Treehorn
Very cool car design and fun to drive in the game, but ...

... we have those already--they're called "motorcycles" (and a fine thing they are, too).

They're not the same thing at all. Unless you're familiar with some model that is powered by the rider's energy (like the Nike car).

dbartucci
They're not the same thing at all.

I didn't say they were, but the line in the design philosophy that I quoted (and you ignored) brings to mind the rider-motorcycle interface.

It doesn't matter how you sit in a car, its handling won't be affected. But body position is vital to the handling of a motorcycle.

The weirdest thing is the sounds. There is a beating sound (At first I thought it was the drivers heartbeat) that gets faster as the car speeds up. The enging noise is pretty strange as well.

Pcadf3q.JPG

Mmmmmm McDonalds (:

Nice work. I'm still amazed to see you posting here. Thanks for lending your time and letting these guys pick your brain.

Epinionator89
You want real advertising? Drive a car on the New York course; I did, and my only question is, "how could they have logos etc. without getting sued?"

~Scott

Have logos without getting sued? Simple, Kaz slept with Nissan, and in exchange for putting in a few more Skylines, Nissan paid the companies for the right to put their logos and stuff in the game.

So is it safe to say that this car has never actually been built? Will it in the future? It only lives in the 3-D computer world?

Also, Phil, are you the one who basically designed the aesthetic shape of this car?
I ask this because I am creating a book for one of my Graphic Design classes, and the "theme" focuses on 20 car designs, and their designers.

I want to include the Nike One in the book, but I'd need to know who really designed the look of this car. Thanks for anyone who can help.

Garconis
So is it safe to say that this car has never actually been built? Will it in the future? It only lives in the 3-D computer world?

Also, Phil, are you the one who basically designed the aesthetic shape of this car?
I ask this because I am creating a book for one of my Graphic Design classes, and the "theme" focuses on 20 car designs, and their designers.

I want to include the Nike One in the book, but I'd need to know who really designed the look of this car. Thanks for anyone who can help.

Ask Nike or PD, ask them who designed it. I know it's someone in Nike though.

Ohh, add the triathlon car in the book too!

If the One were built, how much would it cost? It sounds like a simple system to make it move (kinetic energy made by the driver). But then how successful would it be? Would you want to drive to work only to be exhausted? I thought the point of a car was to be able to travel quickly and without getting tired because of it (I'm talking about driving to work and back, not from California to New York), not train for the Iron Man. Of course, if it does not take as much as energy as I'm thinking, it could be a good car. If I was rich, I'd even buy one just for show!

To all those saying the special cars are useless, or just marketing tools (which they may or may not be) my question to you is "Does it really matter?"

You are able to drive the cars which is something you'd never get to do in real life? What on earth is so bad about that? It should be a privlege (sp).

And understandably they have an awful lot more detail in them than the other cars. Same reason why you can only race two cars on a wet/dirt track or two convertable cars.

Be grateful!!

Garconis

Better take the Super Mod thing off. Or you may not be having the favor of asking people of helping you make your car design book.

Incredible wow... Phil thanks for all the info and all the pictures and designs. i think you are incredible and have a lot of great talent people can learn from. i really love your projects especially the S7... I hope there will be more great projects like the s7 and so. i just wanted to thank you and appreciate for coming by and giving us all the info and such.

All,

Unfortunately the Nike ONE has never been built as a full size. We did talk about it for the Detroit Auto Show but that would have been some serious cash. I do have a preliminary 1:18 scale model at my desk that was built to evaluate the surfaces off the computer. It looks insane sitting next to the S7 and GT40 models that are in the same scale!

There was also a billet aluminum model created as a gift to Kaz from the Nike One Team. I had to simplify it a bit for machining but it came out so sexy!

Keep your eyes out for a 1:43 scale model in the future. I'm pushing for a 1:18 also so keep posted.

I'm out, Phil

Back