Most Disappointing Movies

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 38 comments
Riegn of fire was quite dissapointing for me. I expected a futuristic setting which would seem more fittting as the charaters would have better technology to defeat the dragons. It is set in Britain, but in what seems the middle ages. The English had nothing in the way of quality arsenal as opposed to the Yanks who have a tank, guns and helecopters. What I expectected to be a half decent film was instead a usual, tad boring experience.

Ev0
Bruce Almighty was also very disapointing, the commercials made it look hilarious, but in reality the commercials had pretty much all the funny parts covered. Very misleading advertising.
I couldn't agree more. I thought it looked great in the commercials, even though I tend to keep away from Jim Carrey movies. I thought it looked like a bit of fun. It was very disappointing when I seen it. The only funny parts in the movie, were outlined in the commercial.

Anderton Prime
Let me start by saying I admire Tarantino...Tarantino on the other hand explores every facet of the genres he's interested in. Reservoir Dogs was a low-budget crime caper, Pulp Fiction was just that, an exploration of the pulp fiction novels of mid-century, and Jackie Brown was Tarantino's love story.

I liked Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction (see my top 10). But Jackie Brown was disppointing because the dialouge didn't hook me in, and the plot was a little paper thin. It didn't seem like anything I hadn't seen or heard before. The movie was about an hour too long. The triple-view climax to the story was an interesting touch, but 7 years later, it's still the only thing that I recall from the movie.

Of course, there's the swearing, gun-obsessed, Kangol-hat-wearing black guy with a braided beard, the angry ex-con who'll just as soon shoot you in a parking lot as screw you in the kitchen, the miserable, mid-life-crisis-suffering bail bondsman, and the ultra-sexy middle-aged black mamma. It's unconventional, yes, but that's what Tarantino's all about.

Don't forget the rather cute white bimbo. Maybe I'm being jaded, but they seemed to be predictable characters.

...and I would never say "It's not what I'd expect from Tarantino," because you're not supposed to expect anything from him. He's a genius, albeit a pompous one.

I expected better use of my time than to pay $7.50 for three hours of nearly falling asleep. In the end, I felt nothing memorable occured between the expectations I had for Jackie Brown, the time and money spent on watching it, and feeling as if I left no more insightful and with no redeeming or lasting entertainment value.

This emptyness left me a little more wiser in my slections of movies...I tend to wait a little while longer before busting down the cinema's doors for a new release. And if anything else, I got to wait 7 years before complaing about it on the internet, warning those who may pick up a copy for their viewing displeasure.

I can't comment on Jackie brown because I missed the beginning, was watching it on TV so it would have been edited, and my ADD started up after ten minutes.

I enjoyed the fifth element. It was a stupid goofey action movie. Look at chris tucker's character, you can't say that he was written in with any real seriousness.

Coyote ugly was horrid. Just a terrible long, chick flick.

xcsti
Coyote ugly was horrid. Just a terrible long, chick flick.
Not even...I've never met a CHICK who liked Coyote Ugly!!

I remember when it came out, and everyone was going crazy over Piper Perabo (who I happen to think is a little European-trashy-model-masculine-looking, a.k.a. ugly), and where is she now? NOWHERE.

I forgot to mention big mamas house. Never ever see this movie. I was dragged to it by a friend. We left after a half hour.

I didn't think it was that bad, although Martin Lawrence isn't overly funny. I found it entertaining, but I didn't expect much from Martin Lawrence, and it came out exactly as I expected. Not disappointing, but not great, to me.

Although this thread hasn't seen any activity in nearly 16 years, it's still a great topic that I haven't seen anyone create a new one on yet, so I think it wouldn't hurt to bring it back. Anyways, the one movie that always comes to my mind is:

Lilo & Stitch

I can remember being pretty excited about it back when it was new, but upon seeing it, I was pretty disappointed. I don't remember what my expectations were at the time, all I know is it just wasn't what I expected it to be and I ended up not caring for it much at all afterward. Not even watching the movie again several times afterward could change my mind about it and seeing the TV series and its sequel didn't either. Plus, I didn't really like Stitch as a character, I thought he was just weird, creepy, and kind of annoying. I didn't care for his alien friends either.

I will admit though, I am going off memory here, I have not seen the movie in a long time, but I have seen some clips of it on Youtube. While seeing clips from old shows or movies from my childhood can be a nostalgic experience for me and potentially give me a renewed interest in it again, Lilo & Stitch is not one of them and I just don't have much interest in it. Though I will give it the benefit of a doubt, I may watch it again sometime since I have Disney+ and it's possible in retrospect, it might be a lot better than I remember, but consider my expectations to be fairly low.

I don't think it's a "bad" movie, but when I think of disappointing movies, this has always been the first thing to come to mind for me ever since I saw it. That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
Shark Busters

Came up on my Netflix feed the other day.

I've always been encouraged to expose myself to more Chinese-speaking media to help boost my native language skills. I think a part of the reason I haven't been actively looking for more TV series/movies in Cantonese is because the plot and character development compared to other storytelling usually leaves more to be desired.

In this goofy movie, the loan shark antagonist has so much influence over his henchmen when he doesn't actually have enough dirt to win them over aside from being aggressively loud-mouthed. All the good guys (who happen to be police officers) get themselves into crippling debt with no formal contracts with said loan sharks, which just lets the sharks continually pull BS "Additional Interest Fees" out of their ass to sustain the struggle. The police have only public humiliation and a pressuring superior officer (whose punishment only goes as far as mouthing you off) to live with. The loan sharks have very little power to threaten you when it comes to repayment, and instead of the police arresting the loan sharks for harassment, vandalism and arson, they instead do the all that TOWARDS the loan sharks and have one convenient lawyer (who recently joined the police force) who's literally there just to say "don't worry, team. I can take of that, AND your debt!" THE END.

If that lawyer role wasn't in the film, this movie wouldn't have resolved itself at all. Everything is suddenly solved with the lawyer by breaking into the offices and stealing documents from the loan sharks, and suddenly... the mountains of debt is magically taken care of.

This movie was stupid.

Back