Most Overrated games?

• Thread starter Ellis
  • 281 comments
kennylmao
I'm sure it has been mentioned before but, can I say Gran Turismo 5?

Really disappointed when it finally came out, and after waiting for 5 years!

I'm happy about the fact that i didn't jumped on the GT5 hype train. It was a little bit disappointing, but after the updates and Spec2.0 it is and was a great racing game.

But the game was to overrated. In my oppinion it was hyped like never a game before.

"Revolution in Racing", Over 1000 cars, good damage modell and other things said PD.

The fans took the hype and made it bigger.
Will be the best racing game ever, It will destroy Forza and other competitors. No game can reach GT5 and other sentence.

It was impossible to reach the hype with the final game.

obsessive rules
I'm gonna add Skyrim to the list, and fallout new Vegas. Bethesda release awesome games before these and cracked under the pressure, then messed it all up.

Bethesda didn't make New Vegas, they made Fallout 3. Although they have a track record of making bugged games, Obsidian (New Vegas' developer) used what Bethesda had made to make New Vegas and did a really good job of fixing a lot of Fallout 3's glitches in my opinion.

neema_t
Bethesda didn't make New Vegas, they made Fallout 3. Although they have a track record of making bugged games, Obsidian (New Vegas' developer) used what Bethesda had made to make New Vegas and did a really good job of fixing a lot of Fallout 3's glitches in my opinion.

Bethesda still had input.

And it is by no way improved.

Bad map, boring story, still tons of glitches, I see the karma system as pointless now, I mean you can be evil but liked everywhere, and there isn't too much forward thinking.

F1 2011 ps3. Worse graphics than previous version. Seeming lack of will to deal with some issues from codies by patching the game. Even more annoying cause the racing is actually very good but cant enjoy it much with poor graphics. Not a day one purchase for me next season..

this i agree is over rated I brought this to race online with a few facebook buddies and they say its great but its terrible i couldnt turn the bloody car fast enough regardless of speed into corners...:ouch:

Latest Fifa/Madden. Games of that ilk.
I wish reviewers came down harder on basically roster update games.

Think Madden/Fifa have averaged 9/10 for the last few years for doing nothing.

I don't know why they keep making these games, they come out new for the top dollar and after only a few months they are in the 10 dollar bin. I have never understood these

Last edited:
SimonK
I don't see how. It's not out soon, it's out in mid 2013 and already it performs better than GT5 does. Once it's finished it will not disappoint.

Well put this way, it's already ahead of gt5 as it has a set release date :)

Bethesda still had input.

And it is by no way improved.

Bad map, boring story, still tons of glitches, I see the karma system as pointless now, I mean you can be evil but liked everywhere, and there isn't too much forward thinking.

Bethesda had input into what Obsidian could and couldn't do and gave them possibly the shonkiest engine the console market has ever seen (you do get much worse on PC, I must say) to go and build a game on, but apart from that they didn't develop a thing. New Vegas is, by and large, the game that Obsidian wanted to make, not what Bethesda wanted them to make.

As for the rest of your post, I quite enjoyed the story and thought the multi-threaded storyline was a massive improvement over Fallout 3 which played out the exact same way every time, no matter whether you decided to be a massive bastard or a saint, in New Vegas you can work for the bad guys if you want, work for the good guys if you want, stay neutral or just kill everyone (I haven't tried that yet but I want to). The map wasn't as good as Fallout 3's, I liked the city areas but New Vegas doesn't have that going for it, but New Vegas is, to my mind, an improvement in pretty much every other way. I think this is one of those cases where it's a good game, it's just not to your taste, which is fine but that doesn't make it overrated.

For me all need for speed games made after Fast and Furious movies are overrated. They should been called different and i would not have problem with that. Just using NFS name with that particular spin off is bugging me. Never ill understand how those games get so popular :crazy:

Almost every NFS game After NFS Carbon. Carbon wasn't bad, And I loved most of the games before it (Mostly Underground 1, because I grew up with it). But the series began going downhill after Carbon, and yet NFS' popularity was still increasing :confused:.
EDIT: Sorry for the bad grammar. The grammar side of my head is deciding not to work today.

I found the Shift series very entertaining but as you both metioned NFS should stick to the street racing and maybe low budget track racing but not the professional race cars as in Shift

obsessive rules
The nfs series took itself off the map with the shift games.

Well I'd argue they put themselves back on the map with those games. They did quite well with sales and the games before it were becoming very very stale.

Need For Speed games after carbon were just a sin to the franchise bar hot pursuit, undercover being by far the most horrible racing game ive playing in a very long time after all the hype it was genuinely horrible, the run looks brilliant on the face of it but when you look at some of the stuff that happens, personally i laughed and cried at the same time. also, GT5, after an unbelievable amount of hype, a few years of delays and in the end (to me) it was prologue with more tracks and cars, and also fifa 12, i have another which i will update if i actually remember it.

Bethesda had input into what Obsidian could and couldn't do and gave them possibly the shonkiest engine the console market has ever seen (you do get much worse on PC, I must say) to go and build a game on, but apart from that they didn't develop a thing. New Vegas is, by and large, the game that Obsidian wanted to make, not what Bethesda wanted them to make.

As for the rest of your post, I quite enjoyed the story and thought the multi-threaded storyline was a massive improvement over Fallout 3 which played out the exact same way every time, no matter whether you decided to be a massive bastard or a saint, in New Vegas you can work for the bad guys if you want, work for the good guys if you want, stay neutral or just kill everyone (I haven't tried that yet but I want to). The map wasn't as good as Fallout 3's, I liked the city areas but New Vegas doesn't have that going for it, but New Vegas is, to my mind, an improvement in pretty much every other way. I think this is one of those cases where it's a good game, it's just not to your taste, which is fine but that doesn't make it overrated.

Fallout: New Vegas is one of only 6 Platinum trophies I achieved on the PS3. I enjoyed it.

I don't think NFS games are as bad as some people are saying here; Hot Pursuit was probably the best one in a long while, and Pro Street is probably the best one to come from, I think it was Black Box? I also agree with GT5 being extremely overrated, especially with the amount of hype it recieved.

On another note, another overrated game I think is ProjectCARS. I bought it and enjoyed it at first, but then, the physics became all wierd. Cars stuck to walls and other cars, and it's so easy to spin out, even with driving aids. I do applaud the excellent AI however. And yes, I know it's beta, but what other games have had their physics completely changed over the course of a few months?

The most overrated games that I've played in my opinion are:
Saints Row: The Third (Decent game but not as good as its predecessors and not nearly as good as critics said)

Need For Speed: Shift 2 (I hated this one but many seemed to enjoy it)

Call of Duty in general (Similar games every year but somehow get perfect scores from reviewers and is praised by many... I don't get it)

and

Burnout Paradise (Very good game but was overratted by many in my eyes)

Woah there r35...

FIFA is amazing....never has a game made me so emotionally attached in my life.

Back