Motorsport Manager - PC/MAC/Linux

• Thread starter CoolColJ
  • 150 comments
It may be because I'm on short race lengths, so I'll change that up once I finish the backmarker challenge.

Long race lengths I think are much harder because the field gets spread out more, but other than that, I don't know.

After firing Carlos Pinho and poaching Molly Fox from MRT Valbuena... I've been finishing in P6-P8 even though I have the worst car on the grid...

This game is still far too easy even on Long Race lengths.

A bit late, but here's what I've found for drivers:
Braking, Cornering, Overtaking, Feedback - These are all pretty self explanatory
Smoothness - Tire wear
Consistency - Tire wear/variation in lap times over a stint
Adaptability - Wet weather skill modifier
Fitness - Performance drop off over race distance
Focus - Frequency of mistakes

On another note, I'm starting to worry that the game is a little too easy. I'm in my second APS season with Predator after being promoted and I've won 3 of 4 races despite having the worst drivers on the grid and only the 6th best car. (was 7th at the start of the season) It may be because I'm on short race lengths, so I'll change that up once I finish the backmarker challenge.
It is easier when doing short race length. I do long so I have to actually think, would it be better to gun this stint or go long?

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the Steam Workshop might bring to this game? Hopefully if you can make all the right things it encourages me to go and make something for it myself.

It is easier when doing short race length. I do long so I have to actually think, would it be better to gun this stint or go long?
Well I had assumed it would take me 6 seasons to win in each series, so I chose short on the basis that long would be very repetitive. Plus, it plays more like the mobile game with short lengths, and I love that.
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the Steam Workshop might bring to this game? Hopefully if you can make all the right things it encourages me to go and make something for it myself.
I'd imagine editing teams/drivers will be first up, since that seems to be a popular request. Some way to do a custom championship (decide all the rules etc) would be nice as well.
I read somewhere that editing tracks won't be a thing however.

Here are my main complaints for this game:

• Sponsors are exactly the same and they pay out the exact same amount each time you sign with them... if you hit sponsor targets, won't their business go up and therefore payments would go up and wouldn't they also be more likely to resign with you, building up loyalty with that sponsor? Also shouldn't sponsor business affect their sponsor prestiege and sponsor payments?
  • At the same time, wouldn't some sponsors want demands other than just race performance? Maybe some sponsors would want you to waste some time with sponsor interviews and establishing relationships with customers, or forcing you to use one of their clients as a driver... or being forced to vote in some ways in political votes... and whatnot?
  • Cars keep going through each other too much and not being counted as collisions?
  • Why don't drivers have offs and whatnot that can cause them damage and mistakes? What about spins and pileups? The racing seems a bit too robotic right now.
  • Why don't the part suppliers from building next year's car seem to affect the performance of the car massively (as in stats?)? Wouldn't a better engine increase purely engine power and car weight instead of overall stats? Wouldn't better materials for the chassis impact vehicle weight? Wouldn't changing the rear package size and the nose height affect aero (as in a lower nose may affect straight line speed vs downforce and drag)? What about the brake supplier? Wouldn't that also change how effective the brakes are?
  • Shouldn't there be changes in front and rear wing size as well as sidepod size for rule changes that could affect certain cars? For example, if teams were required to run bigger front wings, then shouldn't that affect some cars (such as the not-Williams cars to benefit and cause cars like the not-McLaren to not benefit)? Also, shouldn't you be able to change front wing/rear wing size within the regulations to compensate for either lack of downforce or lack of straight-line speed? Also, shouldn't all of the different parts you develop look different, such as better wings looking more advanced or better suspension also looking more advanced? This leads me to my biggest complaint so far...
  • All of the cars look the same! Why do the cars look EXACTLY the same for each division?! Shouldn't some cars have smaller wings/smaller sidepods such as the not-Williams cars to get better straight line speed, and shouldn't the looks of the cars highlight the distinctive qualities of all of the cars?
There's a lot more wrong to the game that definitely needs to be fixed, but these are just some of the many slight quips I have with this game at the moment. If they really took the time to make the world seem less robotic and more... kind of variable and realistic, then the game would be a lot better!

I agree with you on some points, but I'd rather they focus on increasing the AI intelligence. Right now you only need a mid-pack level car to fight for victory, and that's not a good sign for game longevity.

• Cars keep going through each other too much and not being counted as collisions?
  • Why don't drivers have offs and whatnot that can cause them damage and mistakes? What about spins and pileups? The racing seems a bit too robotic right now.
While I get what you're saying, you have to take into account this is a game and is therefore supposed to be fun. And if you've ever partaken in a B-spec series here on GTP or elsewhere you'll know that there's nothing fun about your AI driver crashing/spinning out of the lead with 5 minutes remaining.

Why don't the part suppliers from building next year's car seem to affect the performance of the car massively (as in stats?)? Wouldn't a better engine increase purely engine power and car weight instead of overall stats? Wouldn't better materials for the chassis impact vehicle weight? Wouldn't changing the rear package size and the nose height affect aero (as in a lower nose may affect straight line speed vs downforce and drag)? What about the brake supplier? Wouldn't that also change how effective the brakes are?
Sort of on topic with this, I'd like to see a more comprehensive upgrade system. Sure I'm upgrading my engine, but how? More torque? Horsepower? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to choose? And what about making a specific low-downforce rear wing for Monza err, Milan? Having specific traits for each part/upgrade would be a big step forward.

Shouldn't there be changes in front and rear wing size as well as sidepod size for rule changes that could affect certain cars?
According to modders this is in the script, so I imagine we'll see a mod for this at some point. I don't like the "affecting certain cars" part though. Because despite the similarities, the WMC teams are just parodies of their F1 counterparts and shouldn't be held back thusly.

All of the cars look the same! Why do the cars look EXACTLY the same for each division?! Shouldn't some cars have smaller wings/smaller sidepods such as the not-Williams cars to get better straight line speed, and shouldn't the looks of the cars highlight the distinctive qualities of all of the cars?
I mean, the ERS and APS cars look identical for crying out loud. I'm not asking for each new part to look different, or even each team (30 different models is definitely asking too much) but at least make the series look different.

• Sponsors are exactly the same and they pay out the exact same amount each time you sign with them... if you hit sponsor targets, won't their business go up and therefore payments would go up and wouldn't they also be more likely to resign with you, building up loyalty with that sponsor? Also shouldn't sponsor business affect their sponsor prestiege and sponsor payments?
  • At the same time, wouldn't some sponsors want demands other than just race performance? Maybe some sponsors would want you to waste some time with sponsor interviews and establishing relationships with customers, or forcing you to use one of their clients as a driver... or being forced to vote in some ways in political votes... and whatnot?
  • Why don't the part suppliers from building next year's car seem to affect the performance of the car massively (as in stats?)? Wouldn't a better engine increase purely engine power and car weight instead of overall stats? Wouldn't better materials for the chassis impact vehicle weight? Wouldn't changing the rear package size and the nose height affect aero (as in a lower nose may affect straight line speed vs downforce and drag)? What about the brake supplier? Wouldn't that also change how effective the brakes are?
  • Shouldn't there be changes in front and rear wing size as well as sidepod size for rule changes that could affect certain cars? For example, if teams were required to run bigger front wings, then shouldn't that affect some cars (such as the not-Williams cars to benefit and cause cars like the not-McLaren to not benefit)? Also, shouldn't you be able to change front wing/rear wing size within the regulations to compensate for either lack of downforce or lack of straight-line speed? Also, shouldn't all of the different parts you develop look different, such as better wings looking more advanced or better suspension also looking more advanced? This leads me to my biggest complaint so far...
  • All of the cars look the same! Why do the cars look EXACTLY the same for each division?! Shouldn't some cars have smaller wings/smaller sidepods such as the not-Williams cars to get better straight line speed, and shouldn't the looks of the cars highlight the distinctive qualities of all of the cars?
There's a lot more wrong to the game that definitely needs to be fixed, but these are just some of the many slight quips I have with this game at the moment. If they really took the time to make the world seem less robotic and more... kind of variable and realistic, then the game would be a lot better!
Post it on the steam forums since that seams to be their official forum atm.

I think they did a good job. They are a start up company really and they produce this and the mobile game as their first products. I am impressed.

According to modders this is in the script, so I imagine we'll see a mod for this at some point. I don't like the "affecting certain cars" part though. Because despite the similarities, the WMC teams are just parodies of their F1 counterparts and shouldn't be held back thusly.

Well, you can do that in Tier 1, but it only affects car Improvability, Tire Wear, Fuel Efficiency, and Tire Heating.

From what I remember, if you increased the size of the rear package, you would get better Improvability but less Tire Heating (I think?) and vice versa, and if you increased the Nose Height, then I think you would increase Fuel Efficiency at the expense of tire wear and vice versa (I think).

To elaborate on this, here's where I found this. This thread has all sorts of interesting info on how to mod MM, and what kind of things we should be able to play around with. http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/modding-the-motorsport-manager.128433/page-7

There was once rule changes regarding engines, gearboxes, and lots of other things - though this may have just been a brainstoirm list - but some would have been really nice to have seen implemented:
Anti-Lock Brakes
Active Suspension
Moveable Aerodynamics
Sequential Shifting
Differential Control
Traction Control
Launch Control
Open Cockpits
Covered Cockpits
Naturally Aspirated Engines
Turbocharged Engines
Supercharged Engines
1.6 Litre Engines
2.4 Litre Engines
3.0 Litre Engines
V6 Engines
V8 Engines
V10 Engines
V12 Engines
Engine Energy Recovery System
4 to 8 Forward Gears
7 Forward Gears
30kg Gearbox Minimum Weight Limit
50kg Gearbox Minimum Weight Limit
Manual Transmission
Semi-Automatic Transmission
Automatic Transmission
Constantly Variable Transmission
Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS)
Four Pot Brake Calipers
Six Pot Brake Calipers
Simplistic Braking Systems
Ducted and Vented Brakes
Unrestricted Braking Systems
High Minimum Ride Height
Medium Minimum Ride Height
Low Minimum Ride Height
Simplistic Sprung Suspension
Front-Rear Interconnected Suspension
Unrestricted Suspension Systems
Flat Front Wing Mainplate Angle
Swept Back Front Wing Mainplate Angle
Aerodynamically Simple Front Wings
Complex Front Wings
Unrestricted Front Wing Development
Drag Reduction System
Flat Rear Wing Endplate Angle
Swept Back Rear Wing Endplate Angle
Aerodynamically Simple Rear Wings
Complex Rear Wings
Unrestricted Rear Wing Development
Simple Diffusers
Blown Diffusers
Blown Double Diffusers
Aerodynamically Simple Floors
Complex Floor Development
Unrestricted Floor Development
Unlimited Wind Tunnel Testing
Limited Wind tunnel testing
Unlimited in-season test track usage
Limited in-season test track usage
Restricted in-season test track usage
Unlimited Simulator usage
Restricted Simulator usage
Unlimited Telemetry Centre usage
Restricted Telemetry Centre usage
May Car Development Start Date
June Car Development Start Date
July Car Development Start Date
August Car Development Start Date
September Car Development Start Date

To elaborate on this, here's where I found this. This thread has all sorts of interesting info on how to mod MM, and what kind of things we should be able to play around with. http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/modding-the-motorsport-manager.128433/page-7

There was once rule changes regarding engines, gearboxes, and lots of other things - though this may have just been a brainstoirm list - but some would have been really nice to have seen implemented:
Anti-Lock Brakes
Active Suspension
Moveable Aerodynamics
Sequential Shifting
Differential Control
Traction Control
Launch Control
Open Cockpits
Covered Cockpits
Naturally Aspirated Engines
Turbocharged Engines
Supercharged Engines
1.6 Litre Engines
2.4 Litre Engines
3.0 Litre Engines
V6 Engines
V8 Engines
V10 Engines
V12 Engines
Engine Energy Recovery System
4 to 8 Forward Gears
7 Forward Gears
30kg Gearbox Minimum Weight Limit
50kg Gearbox Minimum Weight Limit
Manual Transmission
Semi-Automatic Transmission
Automatic Transmission
Constantly Variable Transmission
Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS)
Four Pot Brake Calipers
Six Pot Brake Calipers
Simplistic Braking Systems
Ducted and Vented Brakes
Unrestricted Braking Systems
High Minimum Ride Height
Medium Minimum Ride Height
Low Minimum Ride Height
Simplistic Sprung Suspension
Front-Rear Interconnected Suspension
Unrestricted Suspension Systems
Flat Front Wing Mainplate Angle
Aerodynamically Simple Front Wings
Complex Front Wings
Unrestricted Front Wing Development
Drag Reduction System
Flat Rear Wing Endplate Angle
Swept Back Rear Wing Endplate Angle
Aerodynamically Simple Rear Wings
Complex Rear Wings
Unrestricted Rear Wing Development
Simple Diffusers
Blown Diffusers
Blown Double Diffusers
Aerodynamically Simple Floors
Complex Floor Development
Unrestricted Floor Development
Unlimited Wind Tunnel Testing
Limited Wind tunnel testing
Unlimited in-season test track usage
Limited in-season test track usage
Restricted in-season test track usage
Unlimited Simulator usage
Restricted Simulator usage
Unlimited Telemetry Centre usage
Restricted Telemetry Centre usage
May Car Development Start Date
June Car Development Start Date
July Car Development Start Date
August Car Development Start Date
September Car Development Start Date

What the...?

Do all of these actually exist in-game as non-active files?

Also just noticed another big problem I see with the game...

I'm six million dollars in debt and my job is still Very Secure. I would think that the chairman should get progressively more unhappy the further you go into debt (I should be at an Uneasy job security right now but hitting the 10th or Above target is keeping the chairman happy).

Also shouldn't you be getting ultimatums when your job security is in the "At Risk" range and not just when the chairman's happiness is at 0%? I kind of found it unrealistic that you can keep one "Nice Guy" or "Nice Girl" driver and not get fired, regardless of how poorly you do.

Also... shouldn't there be different engine suppliers and performance changes depending on how well the "works teams" do (such as if not-Ferrari does well, their engine performance could increase), or could new engine suppliers come in as purchasable engines and old ones no longer be purchasable? It's kind of unrealistic having the EXACT same performance of each part of next year's car being the same on the chassis make-up...

Last edited:
What the...?

Do all of these actually exist in-game as non-active files?
As far as I understand, no. These are file names in the "rule changes" section, but with no actual coding behind them. Indicating that they were originally planned, but got scrapped. And they seem to tie into a more advanced upgrade system than the one we've got.

As far as I understand, no. These are file names in the "rule changes" section, but with no actual coding behind them. Indicating that they were originally planned, but got scrapped. And they seem to tie into a more advanced upgrade system than the one we've got.

Maybe modders could get that working and eventually turn that into a working, revolutionary upgrade system?

Will we be able to make our own aero packages for both high and low downforce tracks?

Loving this game, I am in my 12th season and just got fired from Dragon who I brought up through ERS (6 seasons, 3 titles) and APS ( 5 seasons, 3 titles). This was my first season in the WMC and I was in 7th. place and the target was 6th! That's okay though, I got picked up by Ferrari, I mean Rossini :D

Loving this game, I am in my 12th season and just got fired from Dragon who I brought up through ERS (6 seasons, 3 titles) and APS ( 5 seasons, 3 titles). This was my first season in the WMC and I was in 7th. place and the target was 6th! That's okay though, I got picked up by Ferrari, I mean Rossini :D

How bad are not-Ferrari doing at the moment?

Apparently we were promised a full-on upgrade system like @aarror said...

http://www.motorsportmanager.com/en-us/content/car-creating-world-motorsport-manger

Haven't run my first race with them yet, had to go back to work this week. Looking at the numbers on the cars parts and the factory, resources etc. I can see why I was getting my butt kicked with Dragon!

Just how good are they? :nervous:

Just how good are they? :nervous:

I replaced my #2 who was finishing P8-P12. First race I had P3-P4 in Qually and P4-P22 in race, my new driver crashed out, first time that had happened in a long time! Second race I was again P3-p4 in qually and finished the same, P3-P4. The non-Mercs are outrageous, even with the Rossini numbers I am usually on the verge of being lapped or being lapped by the end of the race...they lap the entire field, they are untouchable! Before moving up to WMC you should probably have nearly every building built and most at the 1/2 to max range and all you personnel should be at or very near 4 stars with room to improve.

I replaced my #2 who was finishing P8-P12. First race I had P3-P4 in Qually and P4-P22 in race, my new driver crashed out, first time that had happened in a long time! Second race I was again P3-p4 in qually and finished the same, P3-P4. The non-Mercs are outrageous, even with the Rossini numbers I am usually on the verge of being lapped or being lapped by the end of the race...they lap the entire field, they are untouchable! Before moving up to WMC you should probably have nearly every building built and most at the 1/2 to max range and all you personnel should be at or very near 4 stars with room to improve.

So... I'm guessing you have performance parts in the 2000-something range?

(also shouldn't a car with very good high downforce aero naturally lack top speed thanks to the aero packages?)

(also shouldn't a car with very good high downforce aero naturally lack top speed thanks to the aero packages?)
No. You may find teams like Mercedes irl have less drag than Manor as well as more downforce. It is what these people are paid to design, otherwise why not just put the wing up?

So... I'm guessing you have performance parts in the 2000-something range?

2000 - 2700 or so, should be creeping up on 3000 on a few parts within a few races. I finished the partial season (6 races) and started a new one. Finished in P3, 1 point out of P2. The biggest difference I see when building the new car is the base point modifier for the engines. The Stienmans +38, the second best (can't remember who) is +32. Being Rossini I of course cant use them and have to use my own. The modifier on the Rossini is +22. That means the Rossini would need nearly double the performance points to equal the Stienman, which explains why even running P3-P4 in every race I am still being lapped.

2000 - 2700 or so, should be creeping up on 3000 on a few parts within a few races. I finished the partial season (6 races) and started a new one. Finished in P3, 1 point out of P2. The biggest difference I see when building the new car is the base point modifier for the engines. The Stienmans +38, the second best (can't remember who) is +32. Being Rossini I of course cant use them and have to use my own. The modifier on the Rossini is +22. That means the Rossini would need nearly double the performance points to equal the Stienman, which explains why even running P3-P4 in every race I am still being lapped.

How much money do you have to pay for a Rossini engine as Rossini?

You build your own damn engine! Why do you pay THAT much for one?!
Simple. Even if you "supply" yourself, you still have to pay for the technical guys back at the Rossini factory to build the engines. Presumably, it's also safe to assume Rossini's customer engine program and full-on racing programs have independent budgets as well.

Simple. Even if you "supply" yourself, you still have to pay for the technical guys back at the Rossini factory to build the engines. Presumably, it's also safe to assume Rossini's customer engine program and full-on racing programs have independent budgets as well.

I'm starting to wonder if the customer payments are actually being figured into my financials. Speaking of financials...where the heck are my legacy payments!

I'm starting to wonder if the customer payments are actually being figured into my financials. Speaking of financials...where the heck are my legacy payments!

Motorsport Manager's been missing a lot of things...

I don't know, I have yet to find the perfect game, but I am really enjoying this one...200+ hours and 13 seasons so far. I went back and checked the engine spec from the start of this last season:
Kitano +37 $21.8M
Stienman +43 $23.2M
Rossini +21 15.4M
Even with those numbers I finally picked up my first win in WMC, a 1-2 finish actually in this past race - race #7, season 2 in this series. Their #2 was having issues and had to make a late race stop, why the #1 did the same is anyone's guess, I don't look for it to happen again anytime soon. Out of curiosity I went back and looked up what I paid for the Rossini engines as Dragon race team last year:
Dragon/Rossini +21 $15.4M
It looks like the customer teams get an engine a step back from the factory teams for a bit over 5% more cost. A nice bit of detail if that was indeed intended by the devs.

Give them time. 1. They are pretty much a startup company. Aside from the Ipad game this is their first title.
2. They are still working on major updates. For example Steam workshop is coming next month.

Back