Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
Massive rollover at the start of the Superutes race yesterday.

Watched this a few times now and I still haven't got a clue where that wheel ended up.

Apparently it cleared the fence and the roadway that leads to the spectator mounds on the back straight and landed in a dam, with the axle still attached.

The Dam.png
The wheel.png

:crazy:

Lucky that it happened in an area of the track that didn't contain many spectators. Lucky too that it landed harmlessly in a dam. Imagine if there was a parking lot or something there instead.
They're going to have to do something about it, it was the second wheel that left the car with the axle still attached that weekend... and the second roll over.

They're going to have to do something about it, it was the second wheel that left the car with the axle still attached that weekend... and the second roll over.
Other than fully floating hubs, I'm not sure what they can do if the axle is making a bid for freedom too. That's what a wheel-tethering system attaches to & that clearly wouldn't solve the problem.

Sieders' Triton getting hit in the side like that & subsequently rolling, is the same sort of accident the Lowndes suffered at Calder in '99.

Other than fully floating hubs, I'm not sure what they can do if the axle is making a bid for freedom too. That's what a wheel-tethering system attaches to & that clearly wouldn't solve the problem.

Sieders' Triton getting hit in the side like that & subsequently rolling, is the same sort of accident the Lowndes suffered at Calder in '99.
Yeah not sure what they can do but it isn't a common occurrence in other forms of racing, maybe an inherent weakness in that category?

And yeah, pretty much a carbon copy of the Lowndes crash.

Sidenote: Lowndes' crash sequence photos are the only Holden pictures displayed in my bar :odd:;):lol:

:crazy:

Lucky that it happened in an area of the track that didn't contain many spectators. Lucky too that it landed harmlessly in a dam. Imagine if there was a parking lot or something there instead.

There’s a video from the old Wellington street circuit days where a wheel comes off a car, bounces for what feels like miles before hitting a car park on the side of a street way away from the track. Imagine coming out of where you are finding a random racing wheel through you windscreen...

There’s a video from the old Wellington street circuit days where a wheel comes off a car, bounces for what feels like miles before hitting a car park on the side of a street way away from the track. Imagine coming out of where you are finding a random racing wheel through you windscreen...
If the team that owned the wheel wanted it back, they’d be buying it.

Apparently it cleared the fence and the roadway that leads to the spectator mounds on the back straight and landed in a dam, with the axle still attached.
That is rather close... the way it took off, I was wondering if the ISS needed notifying.

If the team that owned the wheel wanted it back, they’d be buying it.
They might trade it back for the cost of repairs

You say that, but the driver and one marshal are in hospital after the crash.
https://www.motorsport.com/lst/news...red-in-huge-lamborghini-crash-at-spa-1065058/
The article you linked says the injuries are non-life threatening.

For the sake of the point @Pete05 raised, the video is worth showing and discussing. That was the first thing that I thought of...why does the post jut out at such an abrupt angle, why where those tires not secured to the ground or Armco?

Back