Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
Wasn’t really Sato’s fault at all. The media and commentary team should learn a hard lesson from this, to not make judgement calls until they’ve seen all the facts, all the video, all the angles. That was purely a racing incident. The fact the live commentary team decided to blame Taku on the spot before seeing all the evidence was extremely poor form. So glad he won the following race :D

On a different note, this is hilarious:

Lando is such a breath of fresh air in the F1 community. Like someone in one of the comments mentioned, how weird is it, in a totally awesome way, that in 2019, a McLaren F1 factory race driver streams PUBG on TwitchTV during the week (and other games) while wearing his racing idol’s pyjama merch. Traditional motorsport media better get on his level ASAP, or they won’t be needed at all for much longer. He truely is the Meme Lord of Motorsport :lol:

👍 about Lando Norris. That was great :lol:

👎 about Takuma Sato :odd:

If Sato, or anyone else for that matter, think they can just swerve like he did at that speed when he’s surrounded by other cars, including one where he attempted to be, they should take up something a lot safer like collecting stamps.

That sort of driving is what gets people killed or seriously injured.

...Except it was Takuma Sato's fault. There was no need for him to move over the way he did ON THE FIRST LAP. These drivers are professionals and shouldn't be doing things to put themselves in danger and cause a massive wreck.
👍 about Lando Norris. That was great :lol:

👎 about Takuma Sato :odd:

If Sato, or anyone else for that matter, think they can just swerve like he did at that speed when he’s surrounded by other cars, including one where he attempted to be, they should take up something a lot safer like collecting stamps.

That sort of driving is what gets people killed or seriously injured.
He didn’t move over. He didn’t swerve. Y’all have Paul Tracy eyes.

If you followed the saga on twitter in the week after the race, there were new video angles posted that showed that Taku did not move down the track. He held his line, the other two moves slightly to the right to set up for the corner. In the week following the race, nearly everyone who put the blame on his shoulders backed down and chalked the who thing up to a racing incident.

Here’s the on-board from Sato’s car, which no one saw until several days after the event.

It was a racing incedent, it happens from time to time. Putting the blame on one driver before reviewing all the evidence (like, who makes a judgement call there without watching Taku’s on-board first???) is peak journalisming in 2019.

Last edited:
:lol:
Thanks for that onboard. I'm a Sato fan and I was wondering from the given angles why he would move over half way through passing a guy. It just didn't make sense.
For whatever reason, the off-board camera shots do make it looks like he swerved to the low side. It’s all an optical illusion though, probably something to do with the camera lens, the banking of the circuit, and the seam lines on the asphalt.

What’s stupid about the whole episode is that the reason Taku’s on-board wasn’t shown during the broadcast was because he didn’t happen to have one of Indycar’s “sponsored on-board cameras”. I understand that it’s a way for Indycar to add branding opportunities, but in the case of a serious accident (and the social media fallout that is bound to occur today), in my opinion it’s important to show as much of the evidence as possible. A lot of the blame game and nastiness could have been avoided if that video would have been shown during the race.

For whatever reason, the off-board camera shots do make it looks like he swerved to the low side. It’s all an optical illusion though, probably something to do with the camera lens, the banking of the circuit, and the seam lines on the asphalt.

What’s stupid about the whole episode is that the reason Taku’s on-board wasn’t shown during the broadcast was because he didn’t happen to have one of Indycar’s “sponsored on-board cameras”. I understand that it’s a way for Indycar to add branding opportunities, but in the case of a serious accident (and the social media fallout that is bound to occur today), in my opinion it’s important to show as much of the evidence as possible. A lot of the blame game and nastiness could have been avoided if that video would have been shown during the race.
So they won't share footage during official broadcast if the camera is not sponsored? I had no idea the american race series were that extreme. I figured it was an offline camera that had to be analyzed post-event. The exaggerations and jokes about brand name-dropping are starting to seem less like exaggerations and jokes.

So they won't share footage during official broadcast if the camera is not sponsored? I had no idea the american race series were that extreme. I figured it was an offline camera that had to be analyzed post-event. The exaggerations and jokes about brand name-dropping are starting to seem less like exaggerations and jokes.
I don’t know whether it’s an online or offline camera. Whatever the case, even if it’s not sponsored, it should be accessible during situations like what we saw at Pocono.

I don’t know whether it’s an online or offline camera. Whatever the case, even if it’s not sponsored, it should be accessible during situations like what we saw at Pocono.
All the cars are required to run the pod the camera would sit in, but the only the ones thy use during a broadcast have an NBC camera. Most other teams use their own camera. In Satos case, they we're using their own camera. Hence the difference it quality from his onboard to Rossi's onboard.

All the cars are required to run the pod the camera would sit in, but the only the ones thy use during a broadcast have an NBC camera. Most other teams use their own camera. In Satos case, they we're using their own camera. Hence the difference it quality from his onboard to Rossi's onboard.
Understood, makes sense. That’s just it though, in my opinion Indycar (not the teams, not the broadcaster) should have a camera on every car, for officiating purposes, and for adding as much clarification and perspective during these kinds of incedents.

If you followed the saga on twitter in the week after the race, there were new video angles posted that showed that Taku did not move down the track. He held his line, the other two moves slightly to the right to set up for the corner. In the week following the race, nearly everyone who put the blame on his shoulders backed down and chalked the who thing up to a racing incident.

Here’s the on-board from Sato’s car, which no one saw until several days after the event.

It was a racing incedent, it happens from time to time. Putting the blame on one driver before reviewing all the evidence (like, who makes a judgement call there without watching Taku’s on-board first???) is peak journalisming in 2019.

I, like others, made a judgement on what I had seen. I wish I had seen the video above before I made my post but I fully stand behind what I said about swerving whoever the guilty party/parties was/were.

I, like others, made a judgement on what I had seen. I wish I had seen the video above before I made my post but I fully stand behind what I said about swerving whoever the guilty party/parties was/were.
To be clear, I’m not directing anything negative towards you, or any other fan who watched the broadcast and made a call of what they saw. My criticism is aimed at Indycar, and the NBC broadcast team. The broadcast team for blatantly blaming Sato (Tracy suggested a suspension after watching the replay 1 or 2 times), and Indycar for not making Sato’s on-board footage available ASAP. Their failure to do so is what caused people like you and I to make premature judgements about what happened.

Last edited:
The F3 qualifying session at Monza was absurd

Looks a lot like NASCAR qualifying when they went to the new high drag low horsepower package this year at the mile and a half tracks, before they went back to single car qualifying.
What a mess.

That doesn't change my opinion.

That doesn't change my opinion.
I don’t understand?

You said he “moved over”. Video shows he clearly did not move over.

Whether or not Sato “moved over” is not really a matter of opinion at this point. The facts clearly show he did not move over.

The rest of your post is basically you saying that professional drivers should not attempt overtakes on lap 1, because that’s dangerous. If professional race drivers should not be doing things that put themselves and others in danger, then they should not go racing.

I don’t understand?

You said he “moved over”. Video shows he clearly did not move over.

Whether or not Sato “moved over” is not really a matter of opinion at this point. The facts clearly show he did not move over.

The rest of your post is basically you saying that professional drivers should not attempt overtakes on lap 1, because that’s dangerous. If professional race drivers should not be doing things that put themselves and others in danger, then they should not go racing.
Racing drivers need some kind of restraint so as not to cause unnecessary drama. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't pass on the first lap. Takuma seemingly didn't notice the other cars next to him as he was fixated on Rosenqvist's car and getting passed him. When you're penned in like that YOU HAVE TO BACK OUT. It's not worth the drama on the first lap. I don't think you can argue with the fact that the crash was preventable; poor Hinchcliffe and Rossi getting screwed over like that is awful and stupid. Rosenqvist could've been put in hospital or worse. Sato has a lot to answer for and to say he wasn't responsible is a joke.

Racing drivers need some kind of restraint so as not to cause unnecessary drama. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't pass on the first lap. Takuma seemingly didn't notice the other cars next to him as he was fixated on Rosenqvist's car and getting passed him. When you're penned in like that YOU HAVE TO BACK OUT. It's not worth the drama on the first lap. I don't think you can argue with the fact that the crash was preventable; poor Hinchcliffe and Rossi getting screwed over like that is awful and stupid. Rosenqvist could've been put in hospital or worse. Sato has a lot to answer for and to say he wasn't responsible is a joke.
Three cars ended up squeezing into the same place. Any one of them could have backed out to avoid drama. What makes Sato so guilty?

I don't get it. These cars are so outrageously fast through the curves on ovals and they get so ridiculously close to one another all the time. Then all of a sudden it finally ends poorly and everyone gets so bent out of shape.

Why is Pocono so much more dangerous than any other oval? Watching the cars running 4-wide a few years back at Fontana was crazy, and no one crashed until right at the finish line. Plenty of crazy hits throughout Indianapolis weeks. What is so unforgivable here? I really have a hard time with this one. It just looks like a typical oval IRL crash. They all are potentially deadly.

He was following Dixon, not Rosenqvist.

“He seemingly didn’t notice the other cars next to him”...lol wut? How are you in any position to make a call on what Sato was and was not aware of? You are aware they use spotters, right?

Not exactly sure what Sato would have “backed out of”, other than lifting on the straight with majority of the field on his gearbox. If Sato is at fault for not backing out, then Rossi and RHR are also equally at fault for not backing out.

Sato has nothing to answer for, as the evidence clearly shows that he did not cause the crash by turning down the racetrack as was initially speculated.

You can call it a joke, but majority of Indycar drivers, active and retired, have since come out in defense of Sato, saying he was perfectly entitled to hold his line the way he did, and that the accident was not his responsibility.

Honestly, from what you’ve written, you just sound like a Rossi or Hinchliff fan who’s mad that your guy got caught up in a multi-car wreck.

Edit: @UnkaD
Three cars ended up squeezing into the same place. Any one of them could have backed out to avoid drama. What makes Sato so guilty?

I don't get it. These cars are so outrageously fast through the curves on ovals and they get so ridiculously close to one another all the time. Then all of a sudden it finally ends poorly and everyone gets so bent out of shape.

Why is Pocono so much more dangerous than any other oval? Watching the cars running 4-wide a few years back at Fontana was crazy, and no one crashed until right at the finish line. Plenty of crazy hits throughout Indianapolis weeks. What is so unforgivable here? I really have a hard time with this one. It just looks like a typical oval IRL crash. They all are potentially deadly.
Any driver pulls off a two/three wide outside move, it’s all “whoa that was spectacular!!! The skill, the bravery!!! Amazing.”

Any driver gets caught in a wreck by going two/three wide, it’s all “whoa, that was reckless, dangerous, should never have done that!!”

There’s no middle ground, and it seems like people are unaware that with the margins these drivers work with, they’ll never have a 100% success rate with those kinds of moves.....and racing where drivers did have 100% success rate would be boring to watch.

Slightly unrelated, but in the same vein as people heaping praise vs condemnation. Compare what just happened at Spa, where people are questioning whether or not Correa slowed down enough (some of the video shows that his car may have been damaged, limiting his ability to slow. Regardless, there’s still a lot of people speculating that he was trying to gain positions by squeezing through a gap), to what Ferruchi has been doing in Indycar, punching the throttle to squeeze through gaps in wrecks. Thus far, he’s been lucky. But like I said, no driver has 100% success rate. I fear a day where, bolstered by all the praise from the likes of Tracy and Bell for going full throttle through accident scenes, Ferruchi tries to punch through a gap that closes on him. Will people praise him for attempting to squeeze through the gap, or will people condemn him for being reckless and dangerous?

Last edited:
He was following Dixon, not Rosenqvist.

“He seemingly didn’t notice the other cars next to him”...lol wut? How are you in any position to make a call on what Sato was and was not aware of? You are aware they use spotters, right?

Not exactly sure what Sato would have “backed out of”, other than lifting on the straight with majority of the field on his gearbox. If Sato is at fault for not backing out, then Rossi and RHR are also equally at fault for not backing out.

Sato has nothing to answer for, as the evidence clearly shows that he did not cause the crash by turning down the racetrack as was initially speculated.

You can call it a joke, but majority of Indycar drivers, active and retired, have since come out in defense of Sato, saying he was perfectly entitled to hold his line the way he did, and that the accident was not his responsibility.

Honestly, from what you’ve written, you just sound like a Rossi or Hinchliff fan who’s mad that your guy got caught up in a multi-car wreck.
Clearly you aren't budging from your point of view. I don't want to turn this into a ****fight which will get both of us banned. I clearly will not convince you that my view is the right one, because you are stuck on your high horse thinking that what you're saying is right. I don't want to argue the point any further because we'll just bicker and whine like idiots. Let's agree to disagree. And no, don't see this as me trying to shut down a discussion; I don't think we can be reasonable about this unfortunately.

Clearly you aren't budging from your point of view. I don't want to turn this into a ****fight which will get both of us banned. I clearly will not convince you that my view is the right one, because you are stuck on your high horse thinking that what you're saying is right. I don't want to argue the point any further because we'll just bicker and whine like idiots. Let's agree to disagree. And no, don't see this as me trying to shut down a discussion; I don't think we can be reasonable about this unfortunately.
If you don’t want a **** fight, don’t make it one. I have no intention of turning this into a fight, it’s just a friendly convo. No one is getting banned.

You won’t convince me that you’re correct on this, seeing as your position is opposite of the majority of the professionals and veterans of the Indycar scene.

If you can’t be reasonable about this, please only speak for yourself. I’m perfectly confident in my ability to have a peaceful and reasonable convo about this. If you don’t want to, that’s fine.

If anything, this is a good example of how, if you want to be an informed race fan, you should get Twitter and follow every driver and every team from a given series. You’ll get your info direct from the horse’s mouth,

If you can’t be reasonable about this, please only speak for yourself. I’m perfectly confident in my ability to have a peaceful and reasonable convo about this. If you don’t want to, that’s fine.
Not if some of your previous posts are anything to go by.

Which previous posts would you be referring to?

If you’re reading my posts in a confrontational or hostile tone, that’s on you.
I've seen you get into a few petty arguments on this site. But that's off topic so I'll stop.

The F3 qualifying session at Monza was absurd

In response, 19 drivers on the 30 car grid got a penalty of some sort for the mess. It was such chaos that Christian Lundgaard got a 3-place grid penalty, but is still on pole.
5bgfadv3i4l31.png

Holy a-million-swear-words

Looks like another halo success - that's horrendous. Some are saying that gravel is needed there now but I'm wondering if slippy astro-turf might be a better solution there, what do you think? You know I hate gravel for it's tendency to induce rollovers.

What idiot allows a big sausage kerb on the parabolica like that? Tarmac run-off is supposed to allow drivers to rejoin the track safely and in control, not be vaulted into a marshalling post.

As Alex Wurz tweeted, big kerbs on fast corners nearly killed Rubens Barrichello and they've nearly killed Peroni.

The race director has ordered the kerbs' removal.

I'm sure we've all had crashes like that in games where the car glitches into space after hitting a kerb, but I'm sure we all assumed it was just that, a glitch. That crash Peroni just had was definitely a real-life glitch crash.

That green paint needs to be grass if they want to keep the tarmac. Silverstone has grassy bits before large tarmac areas and it works fine.

Back