Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,362 comments
Don't really want to think about what would happen if the drivers went to get out, even after the red flag came out there was still another crash... scary stuff

Litterally just the F1 version of this earlier this year in NASCAR.

Now NASCAR does single car qualifying. Maybe F1 should look at doing single car at tracks where the draft/slipstream has a major effect on lap times.

Interesting point by Antonio Felix da Costa. Almost echoing Villeneuve’s statements that young drivers today don’t have enough respect for the danger involved in what they do. Video games and paved runoff have created a culture where drivers try to keep their foot in it, in situations where they really should be lifting.

Nearly every driver I’ve seen talk about this crash - young, old, active, retired - is calling for a return of gravel on the outside of Parabolica. Everything old is new again.

Interesting point by Antonio Felix da Costa. Almost echoing Villeneuve’s statements that young drivers today don’t have enough respect for the danger involved in what they do. Video games and paved runoff have created a culture where drivers try to keep their foot in it, in situations where they really should be lifting.

No, it's still bollocks even if somebody other than Jacques Villeneuve thinks it. That was a driver (a young driver in a feeder series) making a mistake on the limit and running wide. It happens in every series at every level to every driver. The fault here is entirely with the placement of the sausage kerb.

No, it's still bollocks even if somebody other than Jacques Villeneuve thinks it. That was a driver (a young driver in a feeder series) making a mistake on the limit and running wide. It happens in every series at every level to every driver. The fault here is entirely with the placement of the sausage kerb.
I disagree. The mistake is what sent him wide to begin with. Instead of backing out, and going around the outside of the curb, he tried to save the lap, maintaining as much speed as possible. The curb is dumb for sure, but the driver had opportunity to drive around the outside of the it.

I agree with your point that in almost all racing series across the globe, drivers abuse and miss use paved runoff areas all the time. No respect for the circuit proper.

But ya, I guess the opinions of multiple pro drivers is bollocks :lol:

I said it on this other thread and I'll say it again: it's there so you either don't go out or you go the long way around. If you're an idiot and think a 3rd way is possible, it's entirely your fault and you'll pay for it. A lot of F3 participants are really good drivers but absolutely awful racers, they lack discipline, problem-solving and other qualities needed; same happens in Moto3 for example. It's not until they get hurt, they lose a race or even the championship that they start to understand that they can't get away with everything.

I'm sure Peroni will stop being a "moroni" after this one. Hopefully, most of the F3 grid will probably stop thinking sausage kerbs are inoffensive, that's also a positive.

I hadn't come across this before, and aside from it being Marc Marquez in a MotoGP qualifying session I have no information about what year, what circuit etc. If anyone knows please tell me as I'd rather post a proper video than this.

Marquez crashes and runs back to the garage to hop in the spare bike:

Roo
I hadn't come across this before, and aside from it being Marc Marquez in a MotoGP qualifying session I have no information about what year, what circuit etc. If anyone knows please tell me as I'd rather post a proper video than this.

Marquez crashes and runs back to the garage to hop in the spare bike:

San Marino 2018

I said it on this other thread and I'll say it again: it's there so you either don't go out or you go the long way around. If you're an idiot and think a 3rd way is possible, it's entirely your fault and you'll pay for it. A lot of F3 participants are really good drivers but absolutely awful racers, they lack discipline, problem-solving and other qualities needed; same happens in Moto3 for example. It's not until they get hurt, they lose a race or even the championship that they start to understand that they can't get away with everything.

I'm sure Peroni will stop being a "moroni" after this one. Hopefully, most of the F3 grid will probably stop thinking sausage kerbs are inoffensive, that's also a positive.
Totally agree with you here, but maybe lay off the name calling until we know Peroni will make a full recovery.

If you're an idiot and think a 3rd way is possible, it's entirely your fault and you'll pay for it.

I disagree, the penalty for running wide should not be getting launched upside-down onto the fence. I think it's harsh that you're seemingly calling this driver an idiot?

I'm sure Peroni will stop being a "moroni" after this one.

Ah, you are, unless this is some far-out Mormon joke.

Hopefully, most of the F3 grid will probably stop thinking sausage kerbs are inoffensive, that's also a positive.

I don't see that he was deliberately trying to gain an advantage or that he minimised the effect of the kerb in his head... an apparatus that could cause that kind of incident should not have been beside the track. But carry on blaming the driver if you like, and lets hope that a fractured vertebra remains the worst effect of the crash.

EDIT: In fact I wonder if he'd even realised exactly where it was - it doesn't look significant in this shot, and Peroni is seeing it from cockpit height and end-on.

Peroni.JPG

Upon rewatching, it looks like the rumble strip get's destroyed when he hits it. If it hadn't exploded, he probably wouldn't have gone shuttle status.

I thought at first that was the leading edge of the car's floor being ripped apart on impact.

It's shocking how high and far Peroni travelled. If the catch fencing was any closer, he would've cleared it with ease and probably landed on the original banking.

I disagree, the penalty for running wide should not be getting launched upside-down onto the fence. I think it's harsh that you're seemingly calling this driver an idiot?
I don't see that he was deliberately trying to gain an advantage or that he minimized the effect of the kerb in his head... an apparatus that could cause that kind of incident should not have been beside the track. But carry on blaming the driver if you like, and lets hope that a fractured vertebra remains the worst effect of the crash.
EDIT: In fact I wonder if he'd even realized exactly where it was - it doesn't look significant in this shot, and Peroni is seeing it from cockpit height and end-on.
View attachment 849138
Point-by-point...

#1 - In aerodynamics, there's a very fine line between taking off and not taking off. It's mostly impossible to calculate it while considering the speed differential and downforce characteristics of F1, F2, F3, etc.

#2 - He definitely saw it during trackwalk, I'm sure the briefing also mentioned it. NOTHING is a surprise in a racetrack unless it happens mid-session (debris from an earlier happening) and even then radio communications exist.

#3 - Too many young racers think they're invincible, they've been brought up in such a sterile environment that they know they'll walk away with either a minor crash or nothing no matter how wrong it goes. Reality doesn't care about how confident you are.

#1 - In aerodynamics, there's a very fine line between taking off and not taking off. It's mostly impossible to calculate it while considering the speed differential and downforce characteristics of F1, F2, F3, etc.

So the driver couldn't calculate that. Got you.

#2 - He definitely saw it during trackwalk, I'm sure the briefing also mentioned it. NOTHING is a surprise in a racetrack unless it happens mid-session (debris from an earlier happening) and even then radio communications exist.

You're right, he should have parked and checked his notes. He's the first driver in history to err onto an off-track kerb, clearly he didn't pay attention during the trackwalk. I mean, come on, seriously?

#3 - Too many young racers think they're invincible, they've been brought up in such a sterile environment that they know they'll walk away with either a minor crash or nothing no matter how wrong it goes. Reality doesn't care about how confident you are.

That sounds like the sort of bollocks somebody like Jacques Villeneuve would say. There have been a lot of quotes during the last week from very very experienced drivers who say you know the risks and you go racing, you just have to switch off the danger in your head. Accidents happen, some carry better fortune than others.

So the driver couldn't calculate that. Got you.

You're right, he should have parked and checked his notes. He's the first driver in history to err onto an off-track kerb, clearly he didn't pay attention during the trackwalk. I mean, come on, seriously?

That sounds like the sort of bollocks somebody like Jacques Villeneuve would say. There have been a lot of quotes during the last week from very very experienced drivers who say you know the risks and you go racing, you just have to switch off the danger in your head. Accidents happen, some carry better fortune than others.
It’s never the drivers fault. They’re just passengers.

Highlights from a couple of Lando Norris’s iRacing streams, with special guest Max Verstappen. Absolutely hilarious listening to these two casually talk shop and take jabs at some of their fellow drivers.

Here they poke fun at Vettel, Ocon, Kimi, and more :lol: Then Lando comes to the rescue when Max has a mechanical failure :lol: (swearing in both videos)

This video, they talk about “Super Max’s” start at Spa (warning, swearing), referencing the first video.

Perhaps this belongs in a sim racing thread somewhere, but the facts it’s two F1 drivers referencing other F1 drivers, I figured some people here would get a laugh out of it.

Last edited:
The past couple of weeks there have been some bad crashes. And unfortunately, it cost the life of Anthoine, which will have an effect on motorsport for quite a while. Another example is that Indycar race at Pocono, thankfully nobody hurt. And also with Peroni at Monza last weekend. I think today, we forgot how brave these drivers. Every time they put their visor down and go racing, there is the chance they might not come back. This rare few who are greats should be seen as immortals.

The past couple of weeks there have been some bad crashes. And unfortunately, it cost the life of Anthoine, which will have an effect on motorsport for quite a while. Another example is that Indycar race at Pocono, thankfully nobody hurt. And also with Peroni at Monza last weekend. I think today, we forgot how brave these drivers. Every time they put their visor down and go racing, there is the chance they might not come back. This rare few who are greats should be seen as immortals.

I think the only one that will change much is the Keselowski wreck. Well Peroni's will get rid of that stupid kerb, but I think Keselowski's will work to get rid of weird angled walls on ovals, especially since he is complaining about it.

I think everyone sees Hubert's as a freak incident that probably would have been worse if things were done differently.

I think the only one that will change much is the Keselowski wreck. Well Peroni's will get rid of that stupid kerb, but I think Keselowski's will work to get rid of weird angled walls on ovals, especially since he is complaining about it.

I think everyone sees Hubert's as a freak incident that probably would have been worse if things were done differently.
Yeah both Hubert's and Keselowski's wrecks were just freak accidents. But the Citroen pile up could've been avoided and Seb at Monza was plain stupid. If either Seb or Lance got hurt. Seb might've been banned for a race or two. That's my opinion about that incident.

Yeah both Hubert's and Keselowski's wrecks were just freak accidents. But the Citroen pile up could've been avoided and Seb at Monza was plain stupid. If either Seb or Lance got hurt. Seb might've been banned for a race or two. That's my opinion about that incident.

The Citroen pileup definitely was avoidable but with a series that far down mistakes and oversights are bound to happen, hopefully it tightens things up on that level.

The Seb/Lance thing.... I have no idea.

Latest Posts

Back