Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,369 comments
Some big hits in the LMP2 at Spa

Similar line and bounce-back to Hubert's accident. It's going to be expensive but I think the barrier angle/distance needs to be changed. Where there's a will there's a way, if tracks like Sochi and Bahrain can be built on absolutely nothing then a runoff can be constructed at Eau Rouge.

Good to see the driver's okay, those LMP and LMP2 cars can certainly take a pounding.

if tracks like Sochi and Bahrain can be built on absolutely nothing then a runoff can be constructed at Eau Rouge.
They were built on steady, flat land though. The issue with Raidillon is that behind that barrier is a massive cliff basically. It's going to cost a fortune to cut the trees down, add a metric swearton of rocks and dirt there as foundations strong enough to extend the barriers far enough back (like if they're going to do it, it'll have to be 50m minimum).

The corner either needs to be tightened up at the first two turns to make it more like it used to be, or just completely straightened and removed. TBH, a trial year with Eau Rouge converted to a straight wouldn't be the end of the world. Would it ruin the appeal of the track and there would always be the option to just go back to the current layout if it fails, while they would have had an extra year to carry out changes to the cliff/runoff.

They were built on steady, flat land though.

Sochi Olympic Park wasn't, in fairness. Eau Rouge is doable, but it won't be cheap. An additional 20 or 30 metres of standing runoff with a less angled barrier would allow for a greater skid distance and reducing the bounce-back distance considerably. It doesn't even have to meet the landscape below, I was talking to a friend earlier who's a large infrastructure engineer (bridges mostly) and a mad F1 fan, she reckons that she'd use steelwork and bridge sections to construct above the reducing landscape past the barriers. Like I said, not cheap... but do-able if there's a will and the funding.

The idea of making it straighter also makes sense as a trial, it's certainly true that something has to change.

Last edited:
Spa built it's current multi-story pits on the side of a cliff, it would be possible to do something with Eau Rouge, but it's only sensible to explore other options before majorly expensive construction works take place.

The song is "Heartstring" by Kinobe. I have no idea where the video comes from. But it looks like it's from the 1970s and it features a Porsche 917/30 (with some huge ride height) against a North American F-86 Sabre doing battle in the desert.

About the post about the load wings can sustain:

REEEEEEEEEEEEPOST!!! For real, that post appears on Twitter and/or Reddit every like 2-3 months.

Got to be one of the all time great saves. Incredible.

Edit: Link because the video won't work.
It's a fairly generic save, the rider has little to do except hanging on, trying to slow down and kicking his way up.

Randy Mamola did it in Misano (the original), Steve Odendaal in Brno, Rafaele de Rosa in Jerez, Niklas Ajo in Assen were all successful (didn't crash)... There's also a legendary one that happened in the Spanish Caja Madrid Cup (several single-brand classes for rookie riders of different ages and sizes), in El Jarama, where the rider did some kind of Kiss of Death FMX trick without going airbourne.

It's a fairly generic save, the rider has little to do except hanging on, trying to slow down and kicking his way up.

I disagree, it took strength and then presence of mind. You or I would have been in the weeds trying to give a thumbs-up to a marshall. Hopefully.

Amateur motocross, specially the classes for younger riders, are a minefield when it comes to AWFUL NAMES. Here are some kids' names from the latest Amateur Supercross Nationals:
· Kelana
· Canyon
· Aden
· Kayky
· Wristin
· Joby
· Geza
· AIN'T THAT A SURNAME? = Gannon, Bowen, Madden, Matas, Chadwick, Maddox
· WEIRD WRITING = Haiden, Talan, Ely, Aidan, Eidan, Kaleb, Jaydin, Dilon, Blayze, Kevin
· GIRL'S EDITION = Tayler, Landrey, Malisa, Shannatay

Millennial and Gen X parents were definitely a mistake. I miss the days where each country had a list of allowed names and parents were forced to choose from that.

Millennial and Gen X parents were definitely a mistake. I miss the days where each country had a list of allowed names and parents were forced to choose from that.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and holding a list of approved baby names."

Back