Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments

They tried to fix with some tires.
Screenshot_5054.png

But the drivers reportedly refused to restart w/ those changes.

Screenshot_5054.png

I dare say the drivers recall Tetsuya Ota's crash in 1998.

Safety & the cars have come a long way, but today was a lucky escape.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the tires protruding out from the wall would be more dangerous than the compromised barrier. Needless to say, neither are workable options.

Screenshot_5054.png

Not surprising, that's classic bodge job. Two piddly rows of tyres are going to do nothing if another car did hit them, they'd be straight through the broken barrier and into the mesh catch fencing.

Not surprising, that's classic bodge job. Two piddly rows of tyres are going to do nothing if another car did hit them, they'd be straight through the broken barrier and into the mesh catch fencing.
Silverstone 2014, Raikkonen destroyed a barrier and it was replaced within the hour.
Bahrain 2020 and it took a couple of hours to rip out the broken barriers and replace them with tyre covered concrete barriers. It is possible with the right will to put something proper in place. Reading some comments, Sunset was too close to replace it in time, hence the awful bodge job.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the tires protruding out from the wall would be more dangerous than the compromised barrier. Needless to say, neither are workable options.
I think the damaged barrier wouldn't provide any impact-absorbing benefit & the tyre bundles would just deflect a car like a bounced ball flinging it God knows where.

The drivers were 💯 correct in their decision.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Even though the race ended under the safety car, Toyota in an absolutely embarassing and hilarious fashion managed to completely throw away an easy victory as the 2nd place Keeper Supra got penalized for nearly wiping out his own teammate out of the race....
1651690810082.png

And the race leading Denso Supra got a penalty for THIS!

and the 3rd place ARTA NSX was declared the winner! :lol:

1651690948983.png

Saw the wreck video, lead driver is totally at fault for that. As for everything else, avoiding spoilers as I have not seen the race yet....

Last edited:

That slow car (MC86 GT300)has an issue with its gearbox and unfortunately it missed the pit entry, so the driver moved the car to the right side of the track to avoid contact with others (the normal racing line on Fuji main straight is on the left side so he did nothing wrong). However he didn't expect that the leader of GT500 still want to use his slipstream and his car as a kind of cover, so this accident happened...

This is a hard one to call because the GT500 cars in Super GT often use the slower GT300 cars to get a slipstream. It doesn't often result in a massive shunt like this one, so I don't think it's fair on the lead driver to take the blame. He didn't know that the GT300 86 car had a mechanical issue and nor did the following Nissan or Toyota. The drivers don't have all the information, they just see a slow car and slipstream it to gain an advantage. Perhaps the teams should've notified the drivers, telling them to watch out for a slow car on the right hand side of the track.

Last edited:
This is a hard one to call because the GT500 cars in Super GT often use the slower GT300 cars to get a slipstream. It doesn't often result in a massive shunt like this one, so I don't think it's fair on the lead driver to take the blame. He didn't know that the GT300 86 car had a mechanical issue and nor did the following Nissan or Toyota. The drivers don't have all the information, they just see a slow car and slipstream it to gain an advantage. Perhaps the teams should've notified the drivers, telling them to watch out for a slow car on the right hand side of the track.
He must have realised with the closing speed and the fact he was way off the racing line he wasn't moving at normal speed though, GT300 isn't THAT slow. Pulling out of the slipstream so late just gave the car that crashed no chance. As I said originally it obviously wasn't an intentional move to make him crash but it was incredibly foolish. He had to know the car behind couldn't see the slow car given that he was right on his bumper.

I certainly wouldn't say it was 100% his fault, but he certainly played a large part.

When I look at how slow the GT300 car was going, I doubt the leader got any slipstream effect at all.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Even though the race ended under the safety car, Toyota in an absolutely embarassing and hilarious fashion managed to completely throw away an easy victory as the 2nd place Keeper Supra got penalized for nearly wiping out his own teammate out of the race....
View attachment 1146385

And the race leading Denso Supra got a penalty for THIS!

and the 3rd place ARTA NSX was declared the winner! :lol:

View attachment 1146387

Damn... Too bad I don't want to buy into MotorsportTV to watch. It looks like I'm missing a crazy season.:(

Damn... Too bad I don't want to buy into MotorsportTV to watch. It looks like I'm missing a crazy season.:(
For $5/mo to catch the Super GT races, the occasional TCR Australia race, and anything random that looks interesting, I think it's worth it.

Damn. Lead driver surely has to take some of the blame, slipstreaming a very slow moving car and moving out at the last moment. Obviously not on purpose, but he gave the car behind no chance to see it.
I agree.
Plus you cant get any real slipstrream from a slow moving car.

I agree.
Plus you cant get any real slipstrream from a slow moving car.
Perhaps the lead driver didn't realize quite how slow the car was moving? Might have been distracted looking at the positioning of the two cars drafting him. That move he made looks more like avoidence than it does pulling out from a tow.

Copied this from Reddit:

2017 F2: Retired from both the feature and the sprint race due to suspension failure and electrical issues.
2018 F1: Retired due to brake failure.
2019 F1: Retired due to tyre puncture after a touch with Hulkenberg.
2020 F1: Monaco didn't host the race.
2021 F1: Crashed during qualifying and DNS.
2022 Historical GP: Retired due to brake failure.

Guy is cursed at his home race

These videos are so awesome. The very best thing about Formula One in the 2010s was Brian Tyler's starting grid theme.

After watching the crash at the top of this page, I'm still staggered...genuinely staggered that there is not a simple world-wide use of "hazard lights" on cars. A fixed location, and a fixed colour.

I'm not a safety-nut when it comes to sports and motor racing in particular, as it's...a dangerous sport. There's no way to make it perfect, but I see so many instances where damaged or slow cars are almost hit (or hit) when all that was needed was a very obvious signal light that the car was moving slow. No flags, no nonsense...a light triggered by the driver/team/race director on the car itself.

Particularly at night (i.e. use a separate minor battery system in case the car dies) in some of the distant track sections during endurance races, etc. Relying on race directors, flags or even local yellows isn't cutting it. It seems an insanely simple concept and extremely easy to introduce.

Blow a tire; hit your hazard button. Gearbox stuck? Hazard button. Engine dead? Hazard button. Immobilized on the track or side of the track? Hazard button.

I know we can't avoid some stuff like the Memo Gidley disaster, but giving drivers a simple - very obvious - indicator that a car is in distress seems shockingly simple.

Back