Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,369 comments
Copied this from Reddit:

2017 F2: Retired from both the feature and the sprint race due to suspension failure and electrical issues.
2018 F1: Retired due to brake failure.
2019 F1: Retired due to tyre puncture after a touch with Hulkenberg.
2020 F1: Monaco didn't host the race.
2021 F1: Crashed during qualifying and DNS.
2022 Historical GP: Retired due to brake failure.

Guy is cursed at his home race
I just want to know what he did to incur such cursed luck. Did he a split a pole, brake a mirror (possibly on the car), crossed paths with multiple black cats, etc

Bad, but not as bad as I thought.

I had visions of it running the whole way down the Fuchsrohe & totally burning to the ground.
It could definitely have gone way worse, but still it's not a great thing to happen. Just happy that he got out safely, considering he got out while it was moving and on fire

Edit: Since the driver was a vlogger, he was filming as it happened:

Fire starts at 13:55

Last edited:
Not technically "motorsport", but pro racing drivers racing each other in a sim.

A few things to bear in mind here. Firstly, this is an event that gives real-world championship points (five for a race win, down to one for fifth, in each of the two classes), as one of three arms of the GT World Challenge Europe.

Secondly, the event is live streamed on the official GT World Youtube channel as well as being viewable in person at the race track hosting that weekend's real-world race.

Thirdly, each team is required to enter one driver from their real car in each class they enter (maximum and minimum of one per class).

Fourthly this is Kelvin van der Linde, who has some serious form for driving like an absolute wang even in the real world.

And finally, don't stop watching at the first one - it's not even the worst one.

(and he was at it again eight minutes later)

Last edited:
Why are cars like that allowed to set times up the hill but F1 cars can't? Surely it's similar pace and speed so surely they should be banned too on the same safety grounds that stopped F1 cars from doing it too. Seeing as Nick Heidfeld's record had been broken, we know these cars are now quicker than the F1s, so it negates the reasoning.

Why are cars like that allowed to set times up the hill but F1 cars can't? Surely it's similar pace and speed so surely they should be banned too on the same safety grounds that stopped F1 cars from doing it too. Seeing as Nick Heidfeld's record had been broken, we know these cars are now quicker than the F1s, so it negates the reasoning.

Partly safety related but as you say, other cars are going stupidly fast now, but also, if F1 cars could set times then it kind of renders the timing pointless as they would dominate. Plus, as someone who has been, it would somewhat diminish the spectacle if a majority of the cars came last a full pelt. Far more entertaining show when they stop for a donut or do a launch right in front of your face.

I think both these incidents we were so lucky and thankful for how far we have come with safety in motorsports, particularly with open wheel racing and with of course the halo. But we were also lucky that something horrific didn't happen at the start of the GP with those brain dead protesters getting on to the track. We were so lucky with the red flag coming out at that moment that we didn't have cars going down that straight at full speed and you can fill in the rest of what could've happened. Like all of us I'm so relieved that all drivers involved were all ok and that nothing happened to those idiots that sat on the track.

I agree 100% but it wouldn't make a difference to that lot.

You need a functioning brain to take in information & learn lessons.
You have to wonder what was security doing. The police made it public Friday afternoon local time of being tipped of that this was gonna happen. Yet they still made it out onto the track. Hopefully this is the last we see anything like this. Because it won't be a matter of if, it'll be a matter of when the horrific consequences of stupid actions like this occur.

Drivers need to stop cutting corners too. Granted, most of the bad accidents involving the sausages are corner-cutting related, but that is why they are there...

Formula E just had it's "Nurburgring 2007" moment, with the leaders pretty much all aquaplaning off at the same piece of track.

Back