Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
It's Stock Cars on a track with no right turns and a driver being sent into the barrier because of another driver being a jerk. What's the difference?
Nascar is a sanctioning body, not a generic name. If there's an idiot in open wheelers, you don't automatically think "that Formula One driver is an idiot". Could be tens of other categories, not even on the F1 ladder. Or of the plenty of plebs in touring cars, it's not all the DTM.

You don't have to like something to get the facts right. Criticise it because it's stock car/truck racing, not because it's Nascar.

Is he giving the facist salute because he's Russian or because he's racing under the Italian flag? ;)

From the Long Beach IMSA round a few weeks ago.

A wheelnut rentention pin fails on the wheel removed from the #3 Corvette, and the wheelnut escapes down pit road...

...where it bounces clean over the #9 Pfaff Porsche, drops into the radiator duct and, still spinning, machines a hole through the radiator, causing the Porsche's retirement.

You couldn't make it up.

Roo
From the Long Beach IMSA round a few weeks ago.

A wheelnut rentention pin fails on the wheel removed from the #3 Corvette, and the wheelnut escapes down pit road...

...where it bounces clean over the #9 Pfaff Porsche, drops into the radiator duct and, still spinning, machines a hole through the radiator, causing the Porsche's retirement.

You couldn't make it up.

Had to watch the videos several times, back and forth, before even starting to understand what had happened. Incredible.

The key moments are 0:12 on the first video and 0:13 on the second, by the way.
Edit: of course, because one's supposed to watch the videos playing at the same time...! I'm just dumb like that.

Last edited:
That is a one in a million event. I'd be surprised if the Corvette guys didn't offer a beer or something to them after.

Had to watch the videos several times, back and forth, before even starting to understand what had happened. Incredible.

The key moments are 0:12 on the first video and 0:13 on the second, by the way.
Edit: of course, because one's supposed to watch the videos playing at the same time...! I'm just dumb like that.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was watching for the Porsche to run over something.
That is a one in a million event. I'd be surprised if the Corvette guys didn't offer a beer or something to them after.
A new radiator would do.

Alboreto wasn't the first driver to have a lucky escape there but with a front wing failure at Tamburello, it's an eerie mixture of both Ratzenberger and Senna's crashes. There is some very morbid luck here; had it been a corner later, the closing speed would have ended up in a Ratzenberger crash at Tosa. It gets even morbider because ten years later Michele Alboreto did die in a sportscar crash.

Last edited:
Back