Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
I just read it seems there has been a gun fight at the baja 1000 in California new mexico site.
10 dead, goodness..
They say its a gang warfare.

The event starts soon i think, may 31th to june 6th.

On a lighter note, I wish they made a sim game based in this race event, its crazy thrilling really.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 023954.png

Last edited:
I know they were trying to put a fire out on that side, buuuuut one of the first things we are told when marshalling is "keep the car between you and the approaching traffic". That way, when a driver is being stupid like Martins, they'll hit a big chunk of metal and carbon fibre, rather than yourself first. It massively reduces the injuries you'll get from being pinned between them.

And this was supposed to be the weekend the FIA had introduced speed limits in double yellow flag zones under Safety Cars. Seems like that wasn't being enforced there.

Make no bones about it, incidents like this, the Gasly tractor and Bianchi's crash come down to drivers not respecting flags and Safety Cars not being treated as "Safety" by teams and strategists. What the Sport needs to learn from this (forcing drivers to  actually slow down and closing the pitlane for strategic pitstops under Safety Car to stop the stupid "catching up to the pack" flatout driving) and what will be done to respond to this will likely be very different. More Safety Cars and longer waits before marshals are "allowed" to go trackside will be the case and it'll ruin it even more than it is.

Looks wild, but it doesn't look like there was any single major impact. Far better that it flipped like that than skipping over the gravel and spearing the wall.

Looks a lot like Michael Andretti's crash in 1998, though his crash was because he got clipped instead of losing brakes.

Last edited:
Looks wild, but it doesn't look like there was any single major impact. Far better that it flipped like that than skipping over the gravel and spearing the wall.
Considering how fast he flew off the track, he barely even touched the barrier.
The tumbles also weren't particularly violent. Fast, but not hard hitting.
This looks pretty much like a best-case scenario for a complete brake failure at that speed.

Looks insane though.

Last edited:
I shouldn't be surprised but it's randomly interesting to see that Jordan staff are still there 20, even 30 years later; Frentzen joined Jordan in 1999 and Stevenson first worked for Eddie Jordan in 1990.

A wheel came off a car at Goodwood today and landed in the crowd along side the track. 2 people were struck but no serious injury’s reported.

Are they all blind or something? The yellow flag was waving for a good 10-15 seconds and everyone was still plowing in full speed.

Back