Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,362 comments
They both seem fine, but wow was this massive.

Halo once again proving invaluable as both cars went under the barriers.

As I understand it the attacking driver is the son of the track owner, but I'm not entirely sure.
Yep.

This was the FIA World Karting Championship KZ final at Lonato. Paolo Ippolito (#22) and Luca Corberi (#61) came together in a collision that actually saw Ippolito disqualified from the race, but Corberi chucked his front wing at him during the race and attacked him in the pits afterwards. I've been told that the second chap you see attacking Ippolito after Corberi is Corberi's father, Marco, who does indeed own the track (South Garda Karting).

Here, have the full race:

The collision isn't caught on camera, so I've no idea what actually happened. It all kicks off on lap 10.

Last edited:
FIA statement, pretty bog standard.

The FIA and ACI are deeply concerned by the disturbing events that occurred yesterday during the FIA Karting KZ World Championship in Lonato, Italy involving drivers, team members and track officials. The FIA has launched an immediate investigation in to the incidents.

Well in a surprising turn of events, the guy has announced he will retire, irrespective of whatever punishment he gets.

I'd like to apologize to the motorsport community for what I've done. There are no excuses to explain why I've done such a disgraceful act, this has been something I've never done in my 15 years of career, and I really hope it won't be seen by anybody else in the future.

After the race, once i've been called by the sporting judges, I've asked them to take my licence away because I was fully conscious about my irreparable mistakes, but as they showed me, they don't have the power for doing it, it's written in the international rules, so please, don't be against them, they were just doing their work in the best way they could. For this reason I've decided to don't take part to any other motorsport competition for the rest of my life, that's not a self justice, it's simply the right thing to do. My family has been in karting since 1985, we've seen it grow, we've seen the best and the worst part of it. This episode will be remember as one of the worst in our sport and that's something I'll never forget.

I'm not asking any indulgence, because I don't deserve it. I will totally agree with the punishments required.

I'm writing today to say sorry even if it's not enough, because after all the bad things that happened during this event, the worst ever has been done by me, a guy who love this sport and after the worst day of his life will still remember his good racing memories. Thank you"

While it seems he has handed himself a just punishment, it may well be in the guise of trying not to get his dad's track banished from the rotation. Sounds like Felipe Massa (karting federation president) was gearing to throw the book at him anyway

Well in a surprising turn of events, the guy has announced he will retire, irrespective of whatever punishment he gets.
I mean, he was never going to have a successful career anyway, he was still in karts at 23 and doing pretty badly. But still, it's absolutely right he goes nowhere near a race track again.
The guy who won was 33 - but Corberi isn't a full-time racer anyway. He retired three or four years ago, and only shows up in kart events at South Garda for a laugh (and because daddy owns the track). In fact that's the exact reason he was even in the races this weekend.

It's the emptiest of empty gestures. If I retired from professional motorsport it'd be more meaningful.

Big crash in Supertrofeo at Spa, incredibly no injuries.

Mods, my sincere apologies - as I posted this I saw that there is no update on the condition of one driver.

Last edited:
Roboracing meets Monty Python Olympics.

Twitch link.

thats-not-gone-well.jpg

Roborace has promised a lot but so far delivered very little.

Back