Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,362 comments
It might end up like being Zanardi's pass at Laguna Seca; wasn't illegal at the time so a rule patch has to be implemented to stop everyone from doing it.

I think the general consensus is "that was awesome, but shouldn't be allowed again", right?
Pretty much, from a safety POV. Any little imperfection in that wall would've seen him spearing across into the other cars or even just stopping his own car dead.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus is "that was awesome, but shouldn't be allowed again", right?
Yeah I’d say so. It’s gonna be an iconic moment in the series, but I’d say that they put in a rule for that not to happen again. If a young driver in a lower division sees that they’ll go. “Yeah I can do that too” and it causing an incident that wouldn’t have happened. So i wouldn’t be surprised if a rule comes out of it. Even though I think personally there shouldn’t be. But I understand why they should be one.

Yeah I’d say so. It’s gonna be an iconic moment in the series, but I’d say that they put in a rule for that not to happen again. If a young driver in a lower division sees that they’ll go. “Yeah I can do that too” and it causing an incident that wouldn’t have happened. So i wouldn’t be surprised if a rule comes out of it. Even though I think personally there shouldn’t be. But I understand why they should be one.
It was so situational that there would only be 2 or 3 other tracks where you could conceivably try it (POSSIBLY at Phoenix). Many tracks the damage from the impact would laughably outweigh any potential position gain. It can only be done on the final lap and if someone slips up and drifts high.... that won't end well.

Wow, that must have destroyed the tarmac when it landed.

I expect so... it looks like quite an explosion of asphalt when the back of the truck hits the ground and you see the speed visibly check up (would have given the driver quite a jolt and an odd angle too).
1668452553584.png

Not exactly racing, but I was scrolling through Wikipedia and found out about the Budgie Nine:

Nine Australian men, subsequently dubbed the 'Budgie Nine' by Australian media, were arrested for intentional insult and public indecency after celebrating Ricciardo's win by stripping to their 'budgie smuggler' swimming trunks, decorated with the Malaysian flag, and drinking beer from their shoes.[5] Ricciardo said that the nine had not realized the effect their actions would have,[6] and called for them to be released.[7] After three days in custody the nine were charged with the lesser offence of public nuisance and released. The briefs had been made in Australia, not Malaysia.[8]

Putting in spoiler because it’s a bit graphic. Nothing too bad but still. This was the final pit stop for Christopher Bell in the championship race of the NASCAR season this year. This slow stop cost Bell huge track position and took him out of contention for the title. On the broadcast it wasn't quite clear what happened other than a pit reporter mentioning the jack man got his hand stuck in the wheel. Video is from the helmet cam of said jack man.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily motorsport but it is a car going fast doing WTF things. The rest of the video is forgettable at best, but this sequence is absolutely incredible.

Back