Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Nigel Mansells first Grand Prix was in 1980 at the Austrian Grand Prix driving a Lotus. It was the third Lotus entered for the works team that race. He was classified as a non finisher due to engine failure.

I'll make a fresh question. Apart from Stephane Sarrazin, who was the last driver to have started a Formula 1 race and a WRC round?

I think Martin Brundle was the last driver to enter a F1 and WRC round. He retired from F1 in 1996 and he entered the Rally of Great Britain in 1999 in a Toyota Corolla WRCar with Arne Hertz as Co-driver.

Wrong answer. And I think I've given enough time for this question. The last one was Mark Blundell at Rally GB in 2002 in an MG S1600.

Next question:

As of this year, how many Australians have driven for Sir Frank Williams?

3 have driven for Sir Frank

Schenken drove for williams in 1970, and again in 1973

Jones has driven for williams from 78 till 82

and mark webber of course has tested for williams and will debut this year

i'm smrt

ok, heres one

The Gold Coast Indy, in its 14yr history, has never had a repeat winner. Can you name me the winners of the every race since 1991?

1991 - John Andretti
1992 - Emerson Fittipaldi
1993 - Nigel Mansell
1994 - Michael Andretti
1995 - Paul Tracy
1996 - Jimmy Vasser
1997 - Scott Pruett
1998 - Alessandro (Alex) Zanardi
1999 - Dario Franchitti
2000 - Adrian Fernandez
2001 - Cristiano Da Matta
2002 - Mario Dominguez
2003 - Ryan Hunter-Reay
2004 - Bruno Junquera

Only needed help for 3 of them....

Schrodes
Nigel Mansells first Grand Prix was in 1980 at the Austrian Grand Prix driving a Lotus. It was the third Lotus entered for the works team that race. He was classified as a non finisher due to engine failure.

Actually, he had a fuel leak, and since the fuel was leaking into the driver's seat, he had to retire form the chemical burns.

Actually, he had a fuel leak, and since the fuel was leaking into the driver's seat, he had to retire form the chemical burns.
I read about the fuel leak but what I read said he put up with the leak and burns but the engine failed.
Can't find where I found the information from initially but found this...
"Reutemann was third with Laffite fourth, the struggling Piquet fifth and de Angelis sixth. Mansell's debut ended on lap 41 with an engine failure. The Englishman suffered some petrol burns having raced with his overalls soaked when the Lotus mechanics splashed him with fuel by accident before the start. The result gave Jones an 11-point lead in the World Championship."
From http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51575&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=46
Also...
http://www.formula1.com/archive/grandprix/1980/389.html
http://www.f1cartvideos.com/debutresults.html

In the 1993 season, who had the most f1 world champions in the field at the time, CART or F1? Also name them and the series they competed in that year. (Future champions, obviously, excluded.)

CART:
Emerson Fittipaldi, World Champion 1972 and 1974
Mario Andretti, World Champion 1978
Nigel Mansell, World Champion 1992
F1:
Alain Prost, World Champion,1985 1986 1989 1993
Ayrton Senna, World Champion 1988 1990 1991

A quick check shows that three former World Champions raced in the CART series in 1993 and two former world champions raced in the F1 Championship in 1993. I usually spend more than a few minutes researching but i'm on my way out the door for the rest of the day so don't shoot me if I missed someone.

Which driver, who died during this race a few years later, drove solo at Le Mans in 1952 and led the race for 22 hours and 30 minutes?

That was him boss. He was also the driver that crashed into the crowd at Le Mans in 1955 killing himself and 83 spectators prompting some countries to ban motorsport, although most bans were soon lifted. Switzerland however, still has a ban on motorsport that was brought on by the events in 1955.

OK, what did Touring Car driver and team boss Vic Lee do to get himself thrown out of the British Racing Drivers' Club and into jail in the 1990s. I require the actual offence, and the manner committed.

Wastegate
I recall that he was caught smuggling drugs into the UK using a racecar transporter. Probably not the best way to fund a racing team.

Close enough. The merchandise was actually in the used tyres that the race cars were wearing as they were on the transporter.

Ah yes, now that you mention it I remember about the tyres. Puts a whole new meaning into the phrase "blow up the tyres". :yuck:

This is probably a bit easy, but when did Bridgestone first appear in F1? And what achievement particularly suprised the opposition?

Bridgestone first entered F1 in 1976.
I'd have to say that the achievement that surprised the opposition was how well the Bridgestone tyres performed in their first year.

Back