MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
Awesome. Really freaking awesome.

Gm I don't know how u did it. But you'll get my money. Wifes car yep she gonna believe that eventually one day maybe.

Performance for $ will be unrivaled. Looks a stunner too boot.

I actually dig this Chevrolet C8 Corvette. One has best deliver a solidly designed car if it's going to be the kind of car that we're going to have to get used to for a few years to come. Chevrolet, then, delivered on that front. I still thought it was going to be a bit surreal to imagine the Corvette going mid-engine. I like the styling direction taken with this new mid-engine Corvette C8. Maybe I am still missing the classic circular brake lights of most Corvettes (like starting with the C7), but I am sure this is a modern Corvette going in a modern direction. This new Corvette is not gorgeous, but I honestly can really admire its style- and I admire it greatly! I think I can get used to this design for the next 3-5 years or however long it is until we maybe get a (hypothetical name) C9 Corvette.

Stylewise, I'm going to grade this Chevrolet Corvette C8 a very solid A-. The C8.R looks like it could be just as charming as its road-going car. I just have to imagine it in the usual yellow colors of Corvette Racing. Though if it were up to me, I'd go back to the classic Goodwrench black and silver of when Corvette Racing started out in the (then) American Le Mans Series, but I digress. All that remains is to see one of these babies on the road (which I probably will eventually).

Don't like the way they did the whole rear of the car. Even from a quarter front view, it looks too bulky, and the wheel style doesn't help.

A lower rear quarter line, with big lip wheels at the rear would've made this car look perfect. As is, it looks almost like a V8 Ferrari, which is not good in my opinion.

This is how I feel a good rear quarter should look in a mid-engine sports car (and overall any sports car)...
mclaren-720s-1.jpg

It is so aggressive, low and well sculpted. The concave wheels help so much to create this muscly effect. And this is a car which design could be argued as well!

And the C8...
2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-004.jpg

See how bland and tame rear looks? There is way too much panel that extends above wheel arch and it is all flat as a pancake. The flat wheels make it even worst as it makes them look tiny (and I'm sure they are not).

Don't take me seriously though. I am no designer. This is all my personal opinion and how a car's design talks to me when I see it. Overall, the car looks fantastic from other angles, and I am curious to see what a struggling GM will manage with the C8 in the future.

Said I'd give it a chance. So happy about the C8.R. That road car right rear 3/4 view, does hurt my eyes and I'm not a fan of the airplane toilet bin/receptacle on the armrest. However, price and performance and as the 1st gen for the MR layout, good stuff. 👍

We've had an american NSX for a few years now.
Aaa yes - thats why also the new c8 looks so japanese. Like a Ferrari replica.

Ive been a fan of american muscle and sports cars since little boy and i think that car is just too different to be called Corvette. Dont get me wrong - c8 might be a brilliant car, but they should have been brave enough to give it a new name instead of trying to collect on corvette name. Maybe atleast drop the Corvette and call it just "Chevrolet Stingray".

So, the front looks ok, and some of the front 1/4 shots look nice too. However, the 3/4 shots and rear of the car look diabolically ugly. I know the rear is "inspired" by the Camaro, but it really doesn't work in this application, not helped by the "high rise" spoiler. It just looks like a generic supercar in the last half of the car. I'm also moderately pissed that the quad exhausts are gone.

That being said, everything GM is doing under the proverbial hood looks pretty awesome. Sub 3 second 0-60, ~500 HP, mid-engine driving dynamics, I assume 200+ mph top speed, all for under $60K? Pretty sure that's really gonna hurt the sales for the Supra/BMW Z4, since that/those car(s) also compete in that price range. Also, the spy shots of the C8.R look awesome, can't wait to see it in its full livery. I'm also curious what'll be powering it; IIRC, rumors were buzzing about that the C8.R would be losing some cylinders and going towards turbo power.

Also, going back to the styling, I also think that red is a terrible color for this car. Orange like what @ProjectWHaT has in his post looks miles better.

Thats great value for what you will get. Its going to be a supercar killer for sure. I like what they have done. Cheaper than the new alpine 110s. For better perfomence. Almost priced the same as the new supra and it would wipe the floor with it easily

Don't like the way they did the whole rear of the car. Even from a quarter front view, it looks too bulky, and the wheel style doesn't help.

A lower rear quarter line, with big lip wheels at the rear would've made this car look perfect. As is, it looks almost like a V8 Ferrari, which is not good in my opinion.

This is how I feel a good rear quarter should look in a mid-engine sports car (and overall any sports car)...
View attachment 836739
It is so aggressive, low and well sculpted. The concave wheels help so much to create this muscly effect. And this is a car which design could be argued as well!

And the C8...
View attachment 836740
See how bland and tame rear looks? There is way too much panel that extends above wheel arch and it is all flat as a pancake. The flat wheels make it even worst as it makes them look tiny (and I'm sure they are not).

Don't take me seriously though. I am no designer. This is all my personal opinion and how a car's design talks to me when I see it. Overall, the car looks fantastic from other angles, and I am curious to see what a struggling GM will manage with the C8 in the future.

I think with current roofline c8 should be 4-6in wider to look as slick as mclaren or ferrari. I guess they want to keep the car somewhat everyday practical over supercar looks.

Wow! Designers of C8 you did it! well done and for 60K you are looking to steal cayman's teritory! well done I hope this car drives amazing so that people that hate the different design will still buy it for the performance. Tonight I will have a pint to this! congratulations Chevy/GM/Everyone

It all sounds amazing and all, but it's a darn shame that there'll be no manual for the Corvette, a name that sells more manuals than any other car not the Mazda Roadster. I feel that it could've filled a niche market for having a big engine, mounted rear midship, with a stick shift, but alas.

I get that manuals are a dying thing. I wouldn't really mind if future performance oriented C8, like the Z06 and ZR1, came only with the DCT, but the base 'Vette not having a manual stings...

I’m actually very surprised how much I like the look, I was getting very blobby/bulbous proportions and bland detailing from the camo, but it’s filled out quite nicely... except for the back. It looks like an uglier reimagining of a Camaro when looking at it dead on, it’s tolerable from other angles though. The front oddly enough reminds me of a spiky-er Ferrari F430 at some angles.

View attachment 836739

And the C8...
View attachment 836740

I like the C8 , but sadly, it does not look as good as a 720, 488 or Huracan for now. I do expect refinements and have already seen a mock which may become a Tampi mod, killer. But as for now I am happy with my C7 :)

I have mixed feelings. I'm a mid-/rear-engine guy, and of course, I'll be glad to drive this Corvette in sims, and maybe once in real life. And - its actually an affordable exotic super car!

But, to be honest... out of the few front engined sports cars I like, the Corvette always was one of my favorites. This new generation of Corvette kills the spirit, style and characteristics of a sports car icon. I know, it isn't the first time Chevy was dreaming of an MR Corvette, but... that's not a Corvette. I wish they'd choose a different approach, make 'Corvette' a standalone brand and offer both, a classic front-, and a mid-engine model...

I mean, it's not as bad as I was fearing. On the plus side the price is good, and at least the base model will still have a pushrod V8 in it so it will sound good.

Still don't want it over what we had though. I wish they would have left the Corvette front-engined, turned this thing into a Cadillac and dropped the Blackwing into it.

It's growing on me... I'm not sure about the rear end, though. I feel like the rear lights should have been split into the true quad-light style of previous Corvettes, if nothing else to make it more reminiscent of a Corvette.

The Exhausts might have looked better if they were bigger and in the centre (though I'm sure that would interfere with the diffuser)... like a previous gen Corvette in other words. Then those vents under the tail lights could have been mounted lower and the rear might not look so cluttered.

That wing? I'm really not sure... a ducktail option like on the C7 Z06 might have looked better, or the tiny lip spoiler like in the video posted above.

Many are saying the rear end is too long, from the rear window to the end of the trunk/boot. I agree. It looks like they've done this to make the trunk usable, so it's a trade-off between looking good and having the daily-driver potential of a traditional Corvette. So basically screw the trunk and put a V12 in there.

Of course, I'm not a car designer and for very good reason, so this is all more than likely bollocks.

Also no manual gearbox waaa childish rant #savethemanuals bla bla bla. I'll never afford one so I can't really grumble about the lack of a manual.

Last edited:
Aside from the really busy Camaro-ish (Chevy's current design language, I guess) rear, and the slightly "popping out" front lights, it's nice. Not thrilling, but nice. Would be much nicer with different lights IMO.

Who's gonna be the first who slaps an 'murican livery on it when it hits the release in a video game (probably Forza or The Crew 2)? Now then it would be as 'murican as the C1 'vette! :D

We need to find whoever on the internet was first to make the "GTA V Car" argument and give them a stern talking to.

I can't think of a more irrational, weightless, meaningless comment one could make about a car, and I've already seen it parroted more than once. Honestly - the "Supra is a z4" spam had more of a leg to stand on.

More to the point, I like it. Seems like every new Corvette is a little underwhelming at first but I think Chevrolet is bang on point with the pricing and should do well out of this. The hardcore versions could be pretty exciting down the road.

Well done, Chevy, I really expected more rage screeching around this launch, but not seeing too much. Just make sure you reverse park it everywhere and no one will have anything to complain about.

It'll be fun watching how this car stacks up against the supercars of the world.

If I remember correctly, this is Chevy's first foray into a mid-engined car, right?

Back