My mom wants a new car.

  • Thread starter Thread starter TopHat
  • 199 comments
  • 7,530 views
Buy a Crown Victoria police interceptor.

Or a Caprice Classic police car.

Personally, I like the Scion tC.
 
All of those are either stupid or impractical. Or old. Or a Crown Victoria.

Also, M5 once again, nothing wrong with those two cars. Both perfectly acceptable. Also, notice how the Impala is LOADED. :D
 
But its a police car... they're cool.

How about an Impala SS?

Oh wait... practical eh?

... get a Toyota.
 
Acceptable, in the same way a Saab is an acceptable alternative to a real car.

Ever ridden in a Saab 9-5? Wonderful Interior. Also, WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ANYTHING???:grumpy:
 
M5, there's nothing wrong with an Impala or a Five Hundred. Oh yeah, besides that:
They don't get as good gas mileage as Japanese cars--close but no cigar (wtf did that expression come from anyway :lol:)
They're ugly--though I doubt Matt's mom could care less
They're slow and have floaty handling
They're heavy.
They're American.

But seriously, they're not such bad cars.
 
M5, there's nothing wrong with an Impala or a Five Hundred. Oh yeah, besides that:
They don't get as good gas mileage as Japanese cars--close but no cigar (wtf did that expression come from anyway :lol:)
They're ugly--though I doubt Matt's mom could care less
They're slow and have floaty handling
They're heavy.
They're American.

But seriously, they're not such bad cars.

Ok, for starters, yes, they don't get the best gas mileage in the world, but on the styling, have you ever been up really close to one, you'll see that they are a very clean and well put together cars. May I reiterate: MY MOM DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SPEED OR HANDLING.

Whats wrong with american cars? God.
 
seriously, they're not such bad cars. I said.

I don't like the styling of the Impala, and the five hundred isnt much better, but ...
seriously, they're not such bad cars. I said.
 
They don't get as good gas mileage as Japanese cars--close but no cigar (wtf did that expression come from anyway :lol:)
Give credit where credit is due!

...the bigger, immensely more powerful Impala SS gets 27 highway mpg while the V6 Accord gets 29 mpg.

And for a more fair comparison, the Malibu LTZ V6 gets 22/32 mpg to the Accord V6's 20/29 mpg.
 
@ MachOne: Its all opinion I guess. Did you see the milage and the features on those cars? Fantastic deals.

EDIT: Here, here Skip!
 
Ever ridden in a Saab 9-5? Wonderful Interior.

Yes - the interior was wonderful.

In 1998, when the product was released.

Fact of the week: when the Saab 9-5 came out, I was headed into fourth grade.

I just entered college.

It has yet to be redesigned.

Matt
WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ANYTHING???

I hate settling for bad products, and I feel like that's what domestic midsize sedans are.

Sakiale
But seriously, they're not such bad cars.
No - they're not. Or, the Impala's not anyway - the Five Hundred is worse than the Fusion; I consider it the worst midsize sedan on sale today. That one is saved slightly by its price, but then again freefall depreciation isn't a quality I look for in a year-old car since even though you benefit from some of it, you also lose out in the end.

For the record, both the Impala and Five Hundred are worse than similarly-priced competition.

In addition to my previous post, here's another car I'd check out.
 
Its all opinion I guess. Did you see the milage and the features on those cars? Fantastic deals.

Exactly. If you aren't going to drive all speed racer, the Malibu or Fusion is a great choice.

EDIT: Saw your edit 👍 :D
 
Nice suggestion M5. 👍
 
Give credit where credit is due!

...the bigger, immensely more powerful Impala SS gets 27 highway mpg while the V6 Accord gets 29 mpg.

Give credit where it's due. The Impala SS goes for $27600 and does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. The Toyota Camry V6 - which gets 31 highway mpg - starts at $23000 and does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Suddenly the Impala loses its appeal.

And for a more fair comparison, the Malibu LTZ V6 gets 22/32 mpg to the Accord V6's 20/29 mpg.

Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that the Accord has twenty percent more power than the Malibu? If you compare the Malibu's 240 horsepower engine to the Accord's 244 horsepower engine, the Malibu gets 18/26, versus 20/29 for the Accord. How about that?
 
@ MachOne: Its all opinion I guess. Did you see the milage and the features on those cars? Fantastic deals.

I don't believe MachOne has posted here. And yes, those cars are nice.

I hate settling for bad products, and I feel like that's what domestic midsize sedans are.

I guess nobody's told you that 3 of the 4 cars you posted here are made in the US. (which considers them domestic as they are not imported if they were to be made in their native countries)

Give credit where it's due. The Impala SS goes for $27600 and does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. The Toyota Camry V6 - which gets 31 highway mpg - starts at $23000 and does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Suddenly the Impala loses its appeal.

But not everyone looking for a performance sedan would never consider putting the Camry on their list which explains why the Impala SS is so popular.
 
Give credit where it's due. The Impala SS goes for $27600 and does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. The Toyota Camry V6 - which gets 31 highway mpg - starts at $23000 and does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Suddenly the Impala loses its appeal.
Tell me with a straight face that the Camry V6 is even remotely fun.

The SS sounds like NASCAR and gives you lung cancer with the smoke while it hits 60...the Camry...well it's a Camry.

You can sit in an Impala SS and be cool. You can even sit in an Impala SS with a mullet and be cool. Try that in a Camry.
Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that the Accord has twenty percent more power than the Malibu? If you compare the Malibu's 240 horsepower engine to the Accord's 244 horsepower engine, the Malibu gets 18/26, versus 20/29 for the Accord. How about that?
Check your math. The Accord's 244 hp is 12% more than the 217 hp of the car I quoted mpg specs for.

Anyways, does Monte Carlo's mom need an extra 12% more horsepower? I think not.
 
Anyways, does Monte Carlo's mom need an extra 12% more horsepower? I think not.

No, especially when Matt has stated, and re-stated and stated again that his mother doesn't give a flying, rats' ass about performance.
 
Here she is, she'll tell you! :grumpy:

this is matts mother

i don't care about cars at all, they are nothing but basic transportation. matt is beyond into cars, i'll let him entertain himself for a bit and ponder what our next vehicle will be.... i'm very practical and want something modest with a bit more room for when the kids have friends, gears, la la la
 
Okay, okay, okay. Lets let a bit of common sense move through here...

As I understand it you are looking for a reasonably priced sedan, not too many gizmo's and gadgets, well within the realm of reason. Sounds completely reasonable, and the good news is that in America you are pretty much in luck when it comes to cars like this. The segment has exploded over the past year, and there are going to be several new additions going into the rest of 2007 as the 2008 models begin to debut.

Given that I have a soft-spot for non-sporting sedans such as these, I'm going to recommend what I've been looking at for my Aunt of which is in the same position as your mother, looking to replace her aging Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe. However my Aunt's criteria has one bit of difference, it must be a Domestic-brand product, as we Michigan folks are pretty die-hard Detroit folks. But, there are plenty of great options.

So, what would I suggest?

1) The 2007 Saturn Aura: I can't seem to stop raving about this car. Hell, the press can't seem to stop raving about this car. It is that damn good, and it is about bloody time an American car company has something to brag about. You should be able to get into a modestly-equipped Aura XE (3.5L 224 BHP V6) for right around your price range, albeit with a bit of wiggle room with the Saturn dealer. The good news is that the car is built exceptionally well, arguably better than that of the 2007 Camry, with its significant drop in build quality compared to it's predecessor (check the two, you'll be surprised). The styling is a bit avant-garde for an American car, as Car and Driver put it, "A bit more Citroen than Chevrolet," but not so much that the car would feel out of place with your Mom at her Book Club meeting. Space is comfortable for four adults, passable with five, as the car is a bit more narrow compared to some of the other models out there.

The big drawback is going to be not exactly knowing how depreciation will effect the car. But with the car stacking up the awards and recommendations from various magazines, including an Automobile Test in which the Aura XR beat-out the Camry SE, Saturn obviously means business.

2) The 2007 Ford Fusion: Now I know this car has already stirred-up some discussion in here, but I believe the point is valid in recommending this car. Simply put, the car is damn good, and there isn't any way around it. Now IMO, I would want to opt for the four-cylinder, and just equip the hell out of the car. Not to say that the 3.5L Duratec isn't a good engine (actually, it is quite good), but your Mom doesn't need a racecar, and thereby would do fine with the 2.3L engine that sees duty in the Focus and Mazda lines as well. Alike the Aura, the Fusion is one of the rising stars in the American sedan market, turning the notions upside down that we can build good cars with a bit of know-how. Yes, I realize it is a Mazda 6 underneath, but why not go for the Ford version? IMO, the interior not only looks better, but feels "nicer" as well, and the upside is that you're driving an American car.

3) 2007 Kia Optima: I'm not kidding. This car is good. Damn good. Somehow the folks at Kia got ahold of the Toyota formula, and they are running away with it. Cheap price, stellar build quality, and attractive looks both inside and out make it an appealing car on looks alone. Beyond that, you do have the addition of the 10 year/100,000-mile warranty, and with the improved quality on the Hyundai/Kia models in recent years, my guess is that mechanical failure won't be a big problem at all. Resale values are going to be killer, but if we are to assume that your Mom is anything like mine (or my Aunt for that matter), she probably plans to drive the car into the ground, so that isn't a big deal.

4) 2007 Honda Accord: You can't beat perfection at it's finest, and simply put this is the car to beat by any measure of the yardstick. Yes, the design is getting old and is indeed dated against the competition. But when you are getting a rock-solid design that continues to look good, perform well, and keep up with the competition despite being half-dead age wise, it shouldn't be a big deal. Like the Fusion, IMO the best deals are with the I4 VTEC engines. There is plenty of power to be had, and offers the best fuel-economy available. I still think the cars are great all these years later, as I came away impressed after driving an EX V6 a few years back. Give them a look, they are worth the extra money.

...What I would advise against?

Stay away from the Toyota Camry. Simply put, don't do it. With build-quality levels in a near-free-fall (noted by Car and Driver, Automobile, and Edmunds, as well as noted by my own first-hand experience), the uninspiring styling and driving dynamics, the car is only as good as a transportation device like a bicycle or a scooter. They are indeed overpriced monsters these days, and sure they hold their prices like Lidsay Lohan and her alcohol, that doesn't mean that these models will... As the credit withers away, expect prices to do the same...

Also, stay away from the Chrysler Sebring. Okay, it does have a halfway decent powertrain and chassis combo, but the suspension is far too soft, the styling far-too awkward, and the prices just a little too funky compared to the other choices. If you simply must have a DCX product, I'd wait for the Avenger, but even then, I'm skeptical at best.
 
The Aura is nice, but I think it's too euro-small for what Matt's mom is looking for.
 
Well it isn't that small overall, but the big hang-up with the Aura is the lack of overall width compared to most of the other American and European competitors. There is plenty of room in the car to comfortably sit four, no question in that, but any more and things get a little tight.

...If we were looking for a cheap, roomy car that is pleasant enough to drive, cheap to insure and maintain, and overall is built rather well, I'd suggest something like the 2007 Chevrolet Impala. You can get a nicely equipped 3LT with the same 3.5L 224 BHP V6 in the Aura for about $23,000, however you can slash about $1000 off if you delete the moonroof. However, dealers are likely to wiggle with the car, given how many are churned out each year.

...I've been pushing my Aunt towards the Impala for some time, generally as a fall-back car that works outrageously well at an outrageously cheap price. Considering how much car you get for the money, it really isn't a bad deal at all...
 
Okay, okay, okay. Lets let a bit of common sense move through here...

2) The 2007 Ford Fusion:

:rolleyes:

If only the buying public was as happy with it as you.

I can't understand how you guys are continually seduced by crap like the Ford Fusion. I know there's a lot of hype, and I know you want it to be good (trust me, as someone whose favorite car of all time is the 1986 Taurus, I want it to be good to), but the fact of the matter is it's just not. And then you recommend against the new Camry - Motor Trend's car of the year. Lord.

YSSMAN
I'd suggest something like the 2007 Chevrolet Impala.

God.

I can't figure out how you drive such an interesting car, look to buy interesting cars, and yet recommend and praise such insipid, crappy, trash heaps. Are the Big Three paying you to rep these cars?!
 
For some reason, I'm not too keen on the Fusion anymore.... (ABS is a 600 dollar option on the SEL! :crazy:) So thats out of the question, ok? I just built an Aura, it looks good. An Impala would have to be used, but I've seen a bunch of Dealer babies on Autotrader. Same with the Five Hundred. And oh my god, Focus= Large discounts... 2.5K off.
 
I've built a few more cars, namely the Focus(ZX3,5), Fit, Accent, and Sonata I have found some fair values in that of the first three. I think that the Sonata wouldn't be the ideal choice, seeing as that it is too similar a size, and the Focus and Fit are both looking better by the second.
 
The Fit is tiny (and slow). I test drove one, and I can tell you all about it. But it would be easier just to tell you not to get one.

The Focus is also small, so is the Accent. That is why they are cheap.

If you are looking to move up from a Sonata you are looking in the wrong place. How about the Azera?
 
It would have to be used, I've yet to see a low mileage, under 20k Azera. Also, did I mention that my mom doesn't care if its slow? I've also sat in the front and back seats of a Fit, they were quite comfy. Did I mention that the Focus would have leather, moonroof, etc in it? :D
 
Yeah, but there is slow, and then there is holy-crap-I-am-being-overtaken-by-a-10-speed slow.

The Fit falls in the latter category. 0-60 times don't tell the whole story, I'd agree, but you want to feel safe when when merging onto the highway.

The seats may be comfortable, but try fitting people 3-across in the back. And the trunk/hatchback space is minuscule.
 
What about a Versa? They look funky, but whats the deal with the space. Also, the SX4 has massive amounts of room.

EDIT: Oooh! Heres an idea... Kia Rondo?
 
Here's an idea.

Used cars.

Must I continue to harp on this point?
 
Back