My mom wants a new car.

  • Thread starter Thread starter TopHat
  • 199 comments
  • 7,530 views
Why not save a few bucks and get a Mazda3 hatch? It's the same platform as the V50.

The PT is practical, but a bit out there with the styling.
 
How slightly used can we go?

4893_image.jpg
 
Too used. :D Good luck fininding one with under 10k miles.
 
Stuff that hasn't been mentioned:


Chevy HHR 2LT ($19,350 NEW): If you are looking at a PT Cruiser you have to look at this too.


Dodge Magnum SE ($23,620 NEW): Within budget slightly used. Slow, but it's huge and comfortable.


Mazda5 ($18,230 NEW): Cool mini-minivan.
 
I've mentioned the HHR and the 5 before, but the Magnum is an issue, considering the ice storm recently, and that its RWD! :scared: I'm not sure my mom would go for something like that.
 
2005 Magnum SXT AWD with a 3.5 V6 comes in used at $19,500 :)

 
Yes, but if it was used, It would need less than 10k miles on it, the best bet would be a dealer demo car. :)
 
Yes, but if it was used, It would need less than 10k miles on it, the best bet would be a dealer demo car. :)

Why? Nothing wrong with a car with a few miles on it because that tedious break in period is over and done with.
 
Thats what my mom told me when I asked her about used cars. Hmm, does anyone have any info on the average discounts for a Five Hundred/Montego? Those are very nice cars, I loved sitting in them when I went to a Ford dealer in 05.
 
The Impala seemed like a pretty good steal. Brand-new those LTZ models can go for nearly $30K, so you're getting one for pretty much half-price. Thats one worth looking at, especially for the money you would save in insurance prices and repair costs, no matter how "boring" the car may be. The boys up in Canada build them incredibly well, and are definitely worth a look.

On the subject of the HHR, I'd say it is worth a look. Simply put, the current PT cruiser is just too old of a car both inside and out to really consider as a viable option here. I will have to warn you that the HHR is a bit awkward when you first sit in it, or at least with me, it felt kinda strange. But overall it isn't bad, as it has plenty of room for whoever or whatever you plan to carry, and when optioned correctly, can pack quite the power-punch as well in the LTZ models.
 
Thats what my mom told me when I asked her about used cars. Hmm, does anyone have any info on the average discounts for a Five Hundred/Montego? Those are very nice cars, I loved sitting in them when I went to a Ford dealer in 05.

Presumably, a dealer would give you 80 to 90 percent off MSRP on the grounds that they haven't sold a new one since late summer.
 
Presumably, a dealer would give you 80 to 90 percent off MSRP on the grounds that they haven't sold a new one since late summer.

Did they even sell them at all?

I'm sure that Ford dealers are going to be in a rush to get rid of the Fivehundreds and Freestyles left given the upcoming name-change that will save the company. Hell, they may even give you one for free by that point...
 
Did they even sell them at all?

I see them constantly - Hertz has to get their cars somewhere.

I'm sure that Ford dealers are going to be in a rush to get rid of the Fivehundreds and Freestyles left given the upcoming name-change that will save the company. Hell, they may even give you one for free by that point...

They'd have to pay me to take it.
 
Try a V70 XC or an outback. Both are AWD so they work in the snow, they are wagons so you can pack five people and a few day's stuff, safe, and are built well.
 
Can they not sell the Impala? Have they ever sold an Impala?

...I believe the Impala is Chevrolet's second or third best selling car, beyond that one of the top five for GM North America I believe, so they must be selling them somewhere...
 
...I believe the Impala is Chevrolet's second or third best selling car, beyond that one of the top five for GM North America I believe, so they must be selling them somewhere...

Enterprise, Avis, Dollar, Thrifty, idiots...
 
Sorry I haven't looked through all of the posts, but how about:
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima (slightly used)
Toyota Avalon (slightly used)
Subaru Outback
Subaru Forrester
Honda Fit or Nissan Versa (surprisingly large amount of cargo/cabin room)
 
TS - I'm sure that if she really liked it she would.

And @ Thirdeye -

Altima - the Interiors on the 2006 models are horrible, and the 2007 models are awfully expensive for what they are

Maxima - I have yet to find a 2005 or 2006 Maxima with low mileage in our price range

Avalon - You ever seen a slighly used recent Avalon? Nope, they just stick with their owners.

Outback - Also a good car, but would have to be used, I'm alright with that

Forester - My mom hates the way they look.

Honda Fit - Already been discussed. A good car.

Versa - Way too freakin ugly.
 
I think they have problems selling Impala LTZs really, All I ever see are LTs and the occasional SS.

Well, on a personal level I'd find the LT3 to be more than adequate as an Impala by comparison to the LTZ. I mean, you're only gaining what ammounts to 16 BHP moving up to the 3.9L V6, you aren't getting a new transmission, and the interior upgrades are all available on the LT models. So whats the difference? Not much really. A few cosmetic and ride improvements make it an interesting choice, but for most people, the LT is all they need.

...As for the SS, it just kicks ass. I'm surprised our European friends haven't made a big deal about our 300 BHP front-wheel-drive, V8-powered sedan. But even then, I like the Pontiac version better... Odd, because I almost always prefer Chevrolet...
 
You know what I don't get? My dad HATES the Grand Prix, but is okay with the Impala. :confused:
 
TS - I'm sure that if she really liked it she would.

And @ Thirdeye -

Altima - the Interiors on the 2006 models are horrible, and the 2007 models are awfully expensive for what they are

Maxima - I have yet to find a 2005 or 2006 Maxima with low mileage in our price range

Avalon - You ever seen a slighly used recent Avalon? Nope, they just stick with their owners.

Outback - Also a good car, but would have to be used, I'm alright with that

Forester - My mom hates the way they look.

Honda Fit - Already been discussed. A good car.

Versa - Way too freakin ugly.

Haha, I agree about the Versa's looks. I personally prefer the Fit. As for the Avalons and Maximas, you're right, they're hard to find in that price range, but if you do find one, i'd definitely jump on those. As for the Interiors of the Altima, i'm not too familiar with the newer Altimas, just the generation that I own (2nd gen Altima) but the exterior styling of the newer ones look great if you ask me, pretty roomy as well.
 
I'm surprised our European friends haven't made a big deal about our 300 BHP front-wheel-drive, V8-powered sedan.

What would they say about it? Bland styling, indifferent handling, relatively poor acceleration, too pricey, gas guzzler...?
 
Wait, whats so bad about a $30,000 sedan that does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds (about 4 tenths of a second slower than the Charger R/T), covers the quarter in 14.3 @ 98 MPH, tops-out at 143-150 MPH, pulls .82 on the skidpad, has less understeer than a FWD product should (thanks in part to the "tire trick"), and manages 27 MPG on the highway?

...I don't see a similarly-priced, V6-powered Ford Taurus (*cough*Fivehundred*cough) doing that...
 
Back