My obsession with the Nordschleife (Assetto Corsa)

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 206 comments
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I parked my car so now a lot of Palm, Duvel.

12:27:600 with the Abarth 595SS at Nordschleife. For this moment I think the fastest :crazy::D. For how long?? Who's next

RSR Abarth 595SS times

Assetto Corsa_10.jpg

Last edited:
I've not previously really given the 'ring enough attention, but I've been improving on that on and off over the last few weeks. I've always been doing it as a race against a fairly random field of AI to keep me entertained whilst learning.

My weapon of choice is the Alfa Romeo GTA, I always set the track surface to Old, 15* and obviously it's on the 60s Vintage tyres. It's great fun with the car constantly dancing about :)

Managed a 9:15 this evening, I tend to just run on the standard set-up, I ran it with fuel consumption / tyre wear off, just running a 6 lap race with 10 litres of fuel on board. Current aim is to get into the 8s as I continue learning.

I've not previously really given the 'ring enough attention, but I've been improving on that on and off over the last few weeks. I've always been doing it as a race against a fairly random field of AI to keep me entertained whilst learning.

My weapon of choice is the Alfa Romeo GTA, I always set the track surface to Old, 15* and obviously it's on the 60s Vintage tyres. It's great fun with the car constantly dancing about :)

Managed a 9:15 this evening, I tend to just run on the standard set-up, I ran it with fuel consumption / tyre wear off, just running a 6 lap race with 10 litres of fuel on board. Current aim is to get into the 8s as I continue learning.
A fun way to learn the ring ( or any for that matter) is to do a race weekend because the practice session is like a track day. The AI just go about their business.

My obsession starts to become an addiction :nervous:

Luckily my wife had to work this morning and the "adolescent kids" well they normally get out of bed around 1PM. Gave me all the time to do some AC laps. Also this Maserati 250F 6V. Some straights it is very hard to get real control of this car but the corners are easier then expected on the Nordschleife. This is a reasonable 9:26. If I really push a 9:10-9:15 should possible. Or maybe I'm over estimating myself (again) :rolleyes:

BTW This video is a non valid lap because I cut one corner too tight. Had to start over again...

Luckily my wife had to work this morning and the "adolescent kids" well they normally get out of bed around 1PM. Gave me all the time to do some AC laps. Also this Maserati 250F 6V. Some straights it is very hard to get real control of this car but the corners are easier then expected on the Nordschleife. This is a reasonable 9:26. If I really push a 9:10-9:15 should possible. Or maybe I'm over estimating myself (again) :rolleyes:

BTW This video is a non valid lap because I cut one corner too tight. Had to start over again...

In only my second lap ever with the 250F 12C and very first lap of the nurb, I managed to do a clean lap amazingly. I took the 250F 12c and 6c to Highlands and Highlands long last night, great fun on those tracks.

The Maserati is prob my fav car to drive in ac. I managed a 9:12.887
when I drove this car before I had my computer. I'm gonna give this another go in vr and see if I can do better. I have also been able to tune the 250f so it performs a lot better for me now. I would aim for a time close to 9 mins flat.

The Maserati is prob my fav car to drive in ac. I managed a 9:12.887
when I drove this car before I had my computer. I'm gonna give this another go in vr and see if I can do better. I have also been able to tune the 250f so it performs a lot better for me now. I would aim for a time close to 9 mins flat.

I've never completed a lap with a Maserati 250F on Nordschleife, but I'm sure I can't come close to that time...I'll give it a shot though. I'm assuming you were driving the 12-cylinder...Wanna share your car setup? I know I can use all the help I can get with these cars.:D

I was driving a stock 250f 6c. Here's where I originally posted the video... http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/can-you-beat-fangios-world-record.41770/

I just had a go and I'm currently about to upload a vid of the new world record on rsrtiming app (it'll probably take 2-3 hours).

Here's the tune that I used:
Maserati 250f 6c
Gears 7/31
Tires stock (30 psi)
Fuel 12l
Camber 1 deg
Toe stock (-108)
Dampers stock
Brake bias 76%
Brake power stock (100%)
Suspension stock except lowered ride hieght to 13 on fronts 38 on rears

Throttle modulation is everything in this car because it controls the weight balance and controlling that weight shift is critical to get the car to do what you want rather than what it wants.

So a slight lift to get the front wheels to 'bite' and get the front turning in, then roll on the throttle to keep the back end in check and also so you don't spin the tires and loose momentum on corner exit. Slow in, fast out.

Two foot braking to keep the back tires from locking up while downshifting.

Slow is fast in this car. sliding sideways is slow but feels fast.
I'm sure you know all of this stuff but this car shows you how important driving technique actually is because it doesn't have any technology that compensates for poor driving tech, like modern fat tires with lots of grip, or disc brakes, or traction control or stability control - as far as I'm concerned this is the ultimate driving machine in ac.

Thanks! I should be able to run a few laps shortly. This car really is a handful. It seems to want to go left or right, but not straight! It's a constant fight with that steering wheel. If the real thing was like this...well, that's just incredible. I was so surprised to learn he drove a 6 cyl. I just assumed 12 cyl.

About 90% of my driving with this car is on Monza 1966 because it's nice and wide. :D As you said, it's such a strange way to drive a car, but it is what it is. Truth be told, it is a lot of fun. A lot of frustration too, but a lot of fun. 👍 :D

Oh gawd! My first lap with the 250F was 9m57s :lol: :mad: Now, here comes my list of excuses... :D 1) I had one 90° spin into a wall and 2) I wasn't pushing too hard because I wanted to make a clean lap with no crashes...just to see the time it took me...This was stock too. Crap time, I know.

I was driving a stock 250f 6c. Here's where I originally posted the video... http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/can-you-beat-fangios-world-record.41770/

I just had a go and I'm currently about to upload a vid of the new world record on rsrtiming app (it'll probably take 2-3 hours).

Here's the tune that I used:
Maserati 250f 6c
Gears 7/31
Tires stock (30 psi)
Fuel 12l
Camber 1 deg
Toe stock (-108)
Dampers stock
Brake bias 76%
Brake power stock (100%)
Suspension stock except lowered ride hieght to 13 on fronts 38 on rears

Throttle modulation is everything in this car because it controls the weight balance and controlling that weight shift is critical to get the car to do what you want rather than what it wants.

So a slight lift to get the front wheels to 'bite' and get the front turning in, then roll on the throttle to keep the back end in check and also so you don't spin the tires and loose momentum on corner exit. Slow in, fast out.

Two foot braking to keep the back tires from locking up while downshifting.

Slow is fast in this car. sliding sideways is slow but feels fast.
I'm sure you know all of this stuff but this car shows you how important driving technique actually is because it doesn't have any technology that compensates for poor driving tech, like modern fat tires with lots of grip, or disc brakes, or traction control or stability control - as far as I'm concerned this is the ultimate driving machine in ac.

Thx for sharing.

8:48 serious?! Really impressive :bowdown::crazy:👍

Don't worry after a bit of practise your times will come down significantly. I try to drive it like a momentum car - similar to the mazada mx na. Apex, and corner speed are key to setting up the corner exit which is the most important part of any corner to get right.

Use the tune i posted as it makes a huge difference in how the car handles. its much more manageable.

Here's a vid of the new world record 8:48.458

I've had both these out and love em... I'm all about old school cuz... well, I'm old :)
Shake hands. According to my wife and kids I am old but (still) behave like a child ;)

I also tried the Porsche 718 at Nordschleife.. Just below 9 minutes in a single make race with 15 other cars.

Alfa GTA at Nordschleife is also fun. 8:53:472 :)

Last edited:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I parked my car so now a lot of Palm, Duvel.

12:27:600 with the Abarth 595SS at Nordschleife. For this moment I think the fastest :crazy::D. For how long?? Who's next

RSR Abarth 595SS times

View attachment 651422
haha reply your own post....:dopey:

But worth mentioning that I just improved my previous time of 12:27:600 with the Abarth 595SS. New time is 12:25:909. BAM!!!
Thanks to my engineers for giving me this great tuned car and also my staff for providing me the drinks during the hotlap :cheers:

Assetto Corsa_13.jpg

And Sven thanks for your motivational pep talk about the King and crown etc :dunce:. Who's next?

haha reply your own post....:dopey:

But worth mentioning that I just improved my previous time of 12:27:600 with the Abarth 595SS. New time is 12:25:909. BAM!!!
Thanks to my engineers for giving me this great tuned car and also my staff for providing me the drinks during the hotlap :cheers:

View attachment 652879

And Sven thanks for your motivational pep talk about the King and crown etc :dunce:. Who's next?
First and at last very well done , the question is not who will be next but what will be the next STEP 1 STEP 2 or STEP ???? :odd: ahaaaaa

:cheers:

i spent a lot of time on gt6 doing the practise stages until i could string a whole lap together. Its fun to drive almost anything on that track. But Im not a huge fan of actually racing there.

@BrainsBush it seems we have similar tastes in cars, I like all the older cars more than a lot of the newer ones. The alfa gta is a good one. I had to spend a bit of time tuning the car, which turned out to be suprisingly effective.

Thx! @pretend racer . For the GTA I used the Monza66 JR Course setup...And just did a 7:30 with the Mercedes 190E (default setup only soft tires and 12L fuel). If you already tried that one you have to admit that Mercedes is really fun and great to drive around at Nords. If not JUST DO IT!!

The older cars are so much more fun. Every single one of them has such a unique personality and that keeps them fresh all the time, in my opinion.

That Celica makes some great sounds. I love all the squeaks, pops, rattles & everything else that goes into a car's overall sound. I just wish that multiple sounds could be assigned to individual attributes. Let's take the brake squeal you hear on the Countach, for example. It would be so awesome if there were 3 or 4 different brake squeal sounds that can be activated when slowing the Countach via the brakes. The same could be said about other attributes as well. It would do wonders for immersion for me.

Back