NASCAR 2012 Thread

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 9,370 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kasey's car looks no where near as cool his that RBR ride last year. :(
Also, in all likelihood, Vickers is gone, which means less drama, which is also sad.

Guess I'm going back to rooting for the usual boys.

Kasey's car looks no where near as cool his that RBR ride last year. :(
Also, in all likelihood, Vickers is gone, which means less drama, which is also sad.

Guess I'm going back to rooting for the usual boys.

I suggest Newman*.:sly:

*Selection may be biased.:P

I've always liked Earnhardt Jr., Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, Kahne, Vickers (he spices things up), Edwards, and Bayne.

Not sure how one can be a Vickers fan and Jr. as well as Johnson fan, when he cost Jr. a championship and important chase win and also cost Johnson an important chase win. Just the way I see it and the way he acted this season wasn't something one aspires too.

Sounds like Danica is locked into the 500 via Tommy Baldwin's #36 owner points, Reutimann will apparently run the races Danica doesn't, but it will be a TBR car instead of an SHR car.

Jayski.com
Danica to get owner points from Baldwin? Reutimann in the #10? Danica Patrick will be a guaranteed starter in the 2012 Daytona 500, using owner points from Tommy Baldwin Racing. Multiple sources say a deal is nearly complete to make Patrick a guaranteed starter in Stewart Haas Racing's #10 Chevy in the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup season opener, using owner points accrued last season by driver Dave Blaney in TBR's #36 Chevy. Blaney will now be forced to qualify for the "Great American Race" on time. Patrick is scheduled to run approximately 10 Sprint Cup races this season, and TBR driver David Reutimann will run many of the events Patrick does not; also in the #10 machine. While Patrick will drive Stewart Haas cars purchased from Hendrick Motorsports in her 10 races, Reutimann will steer Baldwin's cars in his outings. TBR will reportedly receive technical and pit crew support from SHR as part of the deal.(Sirius Speedway)(1-30-2012)

So, the "private" test of the 2013 cars was today. Anyone know a good place for spy shots? I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I suggest Newman*.:sly:

*Selection may be biased.:P

Brad. Keselowski.
heated.gif

Sounds like Danica is locked into the 500 via Tommy Baldwin's #36 owner points, Reutimann will apparently run the races Danica doesn't, but it will be a TBR car instead of an SHR car.

Slow down here. Danica is locked into the Daytona 500 for Stewart Hass Racing using points that she accrude from another team, forcing another driver for TBR to actually qualify in the process, and as part of that deal, Tommy Baldwin Racing would actually get some pit support for their drivers that actually make the race grid? If you are looking at this like I am, this is not exactly right or fair.

Danica will likely qualify on speed, so the owner points won't be an issue.

But anyway, her elevation to NASCAR Sprint Cup is a huge, huge deal for NASCAR, the sponsors, the TV networks, the track owners, the teams and the fans. It's right if NASCAR says it's right. And it's definitely commercially right. This form of Pro racing is seldom a matter of fairness, it's more a matter of spectacle and all that follows from it.

Respectfully,
Steve

Yeah, come race day we'll all be able to count how many times the broadcasters say her name.

Unfortunately, yes. But the broadcasters will be counting the TV's tuned in, and NASCAR will be counting the house.

Respectfully,
Steve

Apparently Red Bull has found a buyer, Landon Cassill will be in the 83 and Travis Kvapil in the 93(formerly 4). Glad to see Red Bull was able to get someone to buy the team.

Jaski.com
NASCAR SPRINT CUP NEWS, STATS and RUMORS
Sprint Cup Series News, Rumors & Stats RSS

Red Bull Owners Points changing hands? UPDATE 2
: Been told that Thomas Ueberall [Red Bull's race director] is now listed as the owner of the #83 and now #93 [was #4] team owner points. Sinica Motorsports attempted to run Homestead running the #93, but their website now shows no car number and facebook and twitter pages no longer work. Ueberall may be listed as the owner when the new owners take place, due to the points. Supposedly part owners of TRG Motorsports are rumored to be buying the assets from Red Bull Racing.(2-3-2012)
UPDATE: Sinica Motorsports will be running a partial Sprint Cup schedule this year with a new car number to be released soon. The team will continue to run Chevys.(Sinica Motorsports)(2-6-2012)
UPDATE2: Landon Cassill is going racing at Daytona International Speedway with a new, yet-unnamed race team, at the wheel for a #83 Toyota purchased from the former Red Bull Racing team. In an exclusive interview with Sirius/XM NASCAR Radio's Sirius/XM Speedway with Dave Moody, Cassill said the team is preparing two cars for a full schedule of Sprint Cup Series racing, beginning with the Daytona 500. "We're going to announce a sponsor in the near future," said Cassill. "At this point, I can tell you that Doug Richert will be the crew chief, with (former Roush Fenway Racing executive) Harry McMullin serving as General Manager.
Multiple sources say Virginia resident and former TRG Motorsports minority partner Ron Devine is a leading player in the new ownership group. The team will reportedly be owned and sponsored by Devine and a group of his fellow Burger King franchisees. Cassill declined to speak specifically about the new owners, but confirmed they were involved with TRG Motorsports majority owner Kevin Buckler a year ago. "They broke away from TRG at the end of last year," said Cassill. "They want to go racing the right way and do it efficiently. They know what their goals are. They're going to be announcing the team name and our sponsorship information very soon. All I can say at this point is that they are investors. It'll be a company owned team from the sponsorship side of things." The team will operate out of the former Randy Moss Motorsports building in Statesville, NC, and will run with, with horsepower supplied by Triad Racing Technology.
"The guys are really hustling to get ready for Daytona," said Cassill, "and this will be my first time going into a season knowing there's a full-time ride with my name on door. I'm going to be locked into the Daytona 500 for the first time in my life, and that's an emotional deal for me." He confirmed that the team will field two cars in every race this season, beginning at Daytona. "They're working on signing the second driver right now, and there are some pretty good guys out there that still need a ride."
"This has been a tough deal to keep quiet," laughed Cassill. "They've had to make a lot of decisions before the story gets out and things begin to spin out of control. They've been working hard, 12-14 hours a day, seven days a week thrashing on things. Fortunately, Red Bull built really nice race cars that gave us a chance to pull things together quickly. A lot more is set in place than we can talk about yet, but the work is getting done. Cassill said he understands the team is behind the eight-ball at this point, and will need time to reach its full potential. "I think you'll see us shine 10-12 weeks into the season, once we get our feet underneath us," he said. "We need to establish a baseline on setups and find out what our cars and teams are capable of."(Sirius Speedway)
AND the AP's Jenna Fryer @JennaFryer is hearing Travis Kvapil could be second driver of the 2nd car [which was #4 with Kahne in 2011, but have heard it'll be #93](2-9-2012)

Wow, seems like TRG had some really bad things going on. I'm guessing those guys also didn't agree with the way things were going with Kevin Buckler.

Anyhow, great news. Not only does Cassill actually get a great ride, but those cars actually get to go somewhere. Just wished this would've happened before the Red Bull employees were released.

Last edited:
Whoa! That was unexpected. I think there's a fair chance that quite a few of the old Red Bull employees will be re-hired, as well.

I'm pleased to see that Landon Cassill has finally got a ride. I was quite impressed with a few of his performances in the #51 last year.

Some more developments on the Red Bull situation. Apparently Vickers could be in the 93 and not Kvapil(or not, who knows) and the team's name may be BK Racing with a partnership with some Burger King franchisees.

Jayski.com
a couple UPDATES: Speculation is that former Red Bull driver Brian Vickers will be named Cassill's teammate in a second entry.(MRN)
AND II While Harry McMullen will act as general manager of the two-car operation, Cassill could not confirm nor deny that the team will be called BK Racing, a name that stems from Burger King franchisees that are expected to be associated with the deal. Sources said Ron Devine, of Virginia, and Wayne Press, of Florida, two former TRG partners, will be part of the new ownership group. Travis Kvapil has been mentioned as the driver for the team's #93 Toyota. Kvapil could not be reached for comment.(FoxSports)(2-10-2012)

I think you gentleman will love this.

No, no... this is the NASCAR fans thread, not the NASCAR cynics thread. :sly:

Pretty funny, but in all honesty, I do like the Chase format. Professional ball sports have play-offs and how do you think the teams that don't make the playoffs feel? Watching as others get to keep on playing for the biggest prize in the sport while they don't even get a chance. Considering, too, that the chase helps increase market value for sponsors when considering teams. "I've made the chase the last few years" sounds pretty damn good when they're asking for lots of your money for a few years.

#17 is the only rule that makes any decent sense.

Also, it's a shame that Dupont livery isn't the actual one. I miss the old rainbow colors.

Not only is it the rainbow on the hood, but in the middle it's the scheme used from 01-08. Kinda mixes all 3, that would've been pretty sweet to see out on the track. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back