• Thread starter Afrodeezy
  • 478 comments

Should every NASCAR be in GT6?

• Yes

Votes: 157 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 132 45.7%

• Total voters
I edited that post and info about sales is on the link on #292. The vast majority of GT5 sales were in Europe, whereas the NA region was substantially lower.
Considering GT5:P the European sales are almost 10 million, whereas NA (considers the US and other countries) are 4,15. If it is GT5 alone, then it is 6,740m against 2,810m. That means NA is not the most important region for this franchise.

Some numbers on F1:
http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/NASCAR-vs-Formula-1-infographic/001243283121464
http://grandprix247.com/2011/01/23/more-than-half-a-billion-watched-f1-in-2010/
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...ngs-decline-fox-espn-tnt-daytona-500-olympics

Now, with all that objective info and more that it's up there for grabs, should PD focus on either NASCAR or in F1? If you want more facts besides what would sell the most, consider F1 is and always has been an European centric racing category and also is the most important of them all globally, right now and ever.

I'll make it even easier: NASCAR practically solely exists in NA, whereas the rest of the world doesn't care about it, which is not only Europe but Asia and the rest. If you simplify it then the vast majority of GT5:P and GT5 buyers aren't fond on NASCAR, because it is 4,15m (NA) against 11,86m (the rest of the world).

The answer is pretty obvious but GT5 has more NASCAR content than F1's, when the potential content that's out of the question is marginal. That's bad prioritizing.

About one car being iconic every 5 years, any F1 fan will tell you that's the least and I used a conservative measure.
Actually you could ask anyone that reads the newspaper anywhere in the world, not a F1 fan, and he or she could tell you the answer for each period he/she was alive in, based on which car won the most in a certain era, in the racing driver himself or in which has he/she seen before in pictures. That doesn't happen with NASCAR.

If you google up the cars I named you would have came up with the answers already. I shouldn't do your homework in an argument and, most importantly, you should know the answers in advance considering your expertise claim on #297. I didn't have to and I didn't make that claim.

Last edited:
not to be a douche, but since you decided to be one i'll tell you a very fun fact. North America has the highest sales for gt5 in the world, so most of the people who play are in the U.S. Canada, or Mexico. So what you said isnt valid, as most gt5 players would like a return for NASCAR as most of them are american, and you can also include the other people around the world who like NASCAR also

Actually no. North America is closer to 25%. Europe is by far the most popular in terms of sales cruising around 60%. If anything, Europe is the most dramatically under represented region in the game.

Japan is only around 7% with about 60% of the content!!!

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

For me, i can live without the Nascar. It's just not my thing. However, since i saw the topgear episode with the Nascar i can understand a bit better how this sport can be exciting and thrilling. Europeans have just different taste, like Americans and Japanese. Probably directly the answer to why our opinions differ so much.

Actually you could ask anyone that reads the newspaper anywhere in the world, not a F1 fan, and he or she could tell you the answer for each period he/she was alive in, based on which car won the most in a certain era, in the racing driver himself or in which has he/she seen before in pictures. That doesn't happen with NASCAR.

Sorry, but a non-F1 fan probably can't pick an F1 car out of a line-up of IndyCars let alone name the dominant car from each decade.

Also, just because it's in the paper doesn't mean everyone will read it, the local paper here has a lot of NBA articles that I've never read(I read the paper most days).

For me, i can live without the Nascar. It's just not my thing. However, since i saw the topgear episode with the Nascar i can understand a bit better how this sport can be exciting and thrilling. Europeans have just different taste, like Americans and Japanese. Probably directly the answer to why our opinions differ so much.

Americans do like road racing, we just have a more wide variety of racing that we like in the automotive sense then other cultures. I'd say Australia is the closest place to us car culture wise.

Sorry, but a non-F1 fan probably can't pick an F1 car out of a line-up of IndyCars let alone name the dominant car from each decade.

Also, just because it's in the paper doesn't mean everyone will read it, the local paper here has a lot of NBA articles that I've never read(I read the paper most days).

The general public that reads the news knows who the F1 champion is (Vettel) and who was the last dominant force (Schumacher). Then they also know who Senna was (Mclaren-Honda), James Hunt, have seen the 50s racing look (Fangio) and so on. Consider they are global stars and not of only one country, so the news is spread all over the globe and the numbers are not even remotely comparable.

The cars themselves are quite different between each other and each driver is closely tied to each team. That's why anyone can tell you which was Schumy's team and car (the red ferrari), but not many non NASCAR fans could tell which is Jeff Gordon's team and of course won't be able to tell which is the actual road going car it is based on. On this last matter it would be fun doing a poll here in GTP, because I'd say most GTP users don't know the answer even when they played the in-game special events, since it differs from the racing team.

Last edited:
The general public knows who the F1 champion (Vettel) is and who was the last dominant force (Schumacher). Then they also know who Senna was (Mclaren-Honda), James Hunt, have seen the 50s racing look (Fangio) and so on.

Again, I doubt it, I have asked tons of people if they know any of those things and the only ones they have heard of is Red Bull because of the drink and Ferrari because of the road car.

The cars themselves are quite different between each other and each driver is closely tied to each team.

Again, an F1 fan can point out those things easily, all a non-f1 fan sees is a fast car.

That's why anyone can tell you which was Schumy's team and car (the red one).

They would probably ask who the hell Michael Schumacher is.

I think people overstate F1's impact on the world, most people pay little to no attention to it.

They would probably ask who the hell Michael Schumacher is.

Really?

The world is not the United States of America, especially on this franchise in which the vast majority doesn't care about NASCAR whatsoever and instead they watch the biggest category of them all.

avens
The general public that reads the news knows who the F1 champion is (Vettel) and who was the last dominant force (Schumacher). Then they also know who Senna was (Mclaren-Honda), James Hunt, have seen the 50s racing look (Fangio) and so on. Consider they are global stars and not of only one country, so the news is spread all over the globe and the numbers are not even remotely comparable.

The cars themselves are quite different between each other and each driver is closely tied to each team. That's why anyone can tell you which was Schumy's team and car (the red ferrari), but not many non NASCAR fans could tell which is Jeff Gordon's team and of course won't be able to tell which is the actual road going car it is based on. On this last matter it would be fun doing a poll here in GTP, because I'd say most GTP users don't know the answer even when they played the in-game special events.

The general public in what country? I really don't think even 10% of the US population would know any of those F1 things. Until this last year when NBC sports picked them up they had nearly zero television coverage.
At least you would see the Nascar stuff in some ads. And I think with the new cars you can easily tell what they are now.

I'm by far a F1 fan but I don't really agree with that post. At least looking at the American audience.

^After last year's coverage, would you say the American audience that reads newspapers knows who Michael Schumacher is, at least by name? How about Ayrton Senna? Maybe Vettel or Alonso? Then it's matter of getting their most iconic car of each.

I do get that may be somewhat a big of a claim and that there's no way to prove it, but the rest is objective info about sales and popularity. Please focus on the main issue instead of the branches. That's the way to destroy an argument.

And though this is an off-topic, hence in a separate post, this thread clearly shows why GTP is a vocal minority.

If the buyers proportions were correct then maybe NASCAR wouldn't even be in GT5, because the requests would be marginal compared to other racing categories and to other licenses such as UK Top Gear, the biggest motoring show of them all in the world yet not that popular in the US, like F1 against NASCAR.

Remember it is 4,15m against 11,86m, but here the proportions are reversed.

Last edited:
avens
^After last year's coverage, would you say the American audience that reads newspapers knows who Michael Schumacher is, at least by name? How about Ayrton Senna? Maybe Vettel or Alonso?

I think Schumacher would be the highest possibility. I really don't think F1 is popular enough yet to make the paper other than the final results. Even then I'm really not sure if it's in there...
Bit sad but I think out of those names Vettel would have the least people knowing who it was if your talking general population.

To anyone moaning about there being too many because they're all the same, that's not a real argument. All the NASCAR stock cars in GT5 handle slightly differently to each other and some are slightly faster than others. Also, things like interior decals and the attention to detail that makes GT would need to be implemented too. And whoever said Super GT was in need of just a livery editor, take the Xanavi Nismo GTR and Woodone Advan Clarion GTR and tell me which is faster. The whole point of GT is all cars are represented individually, with all their unique parts, for example those two GTR's look almost identical but inside, one has a fan mounted on the dashboard, like the real thing. GT will hopefully never become like the other driving games because it respects each car individually. And just to add, all the NASCAR haters need to go watch a Superspeedway race and tell me you didn't get tense or excited during the race. I used to laugh at NASCAR, but now i'm religious to it. Why? Because as a real motorsport fan I decided to go and research it a bit, find out the specs and watch a few races;)

To anyone moaning about there being too many because they're all the same, that's not a real argument. All the NASCAR stock cars in GT5 handle slightly differently to each other and some are slightly faster than others. Also, things like interior decals and the attention to detail that makes GT would need to be implemented too. And whoever said Super GT was in need of just a livery editor, take the Xanavi Nismo GTR and Woodone Advan Clarion GTR and tell me which is faster. The whole point of GT is all cars are represented individually, with all their unique parts, for example those two GTR's look almost identical but inside, one has a fan mounted on the dashboard, like the real thing. GT will hopefully never become like the other driving games because it respects each car individually. And just to add, all the NASCAR haters need to go watch a Superspeedway race and tell me you didn't get tense or excited during the race. I used to laugh at NASCAR, but now i'm religious to it. Why? Because as a real motorsport fan I decided to go and research it a bit, find out the specs and watch a few races;)

Let's not descend into the whole "you're not a real motorsport fan if you don't like NASCAR" debate. The starts and finishes are interesting, but overall I find NASCAR oval races fairly overlong and boring. The middle of the race feels largely inconsequential - which is why NASCAR uses a point system that awards points for leading a lap. Generally so long as drivers don't crash into each other they'll be guaranteed to catch up in an inevitable caution period. Road races at Watkins Glen are infinitely better, bar NASCAR's inability to use local yellows.

It seems a bit nonsensical to have so many Sprint Cup Cars but no meaningful series to race them in. Simulating NASCAR oval racing is about racing in large packs, realistic slipstreaming, asymmetric tuning ...none of which GT has.

Last edited:
I edited that post and info about sales is on the link on #292. The vast majority of GT5 sales were in Europe, whereas the NA region was substantially lower.
Considering GT5:P the European sales are almost 10 million, whereas NA (considers the US and other countries) are 4,15. If it is GT5 alone, then it is 6,740m against 2,810m.

I doubt PD did this only to cater to NA groups, the main reason for lower sales in GT is, it's a car game and the other being FM and actually advertising game more so.

Your point? Are you trying to say that F1 viewership = how many will go out and buy a game related to it? If so then Codemaster's should be selling better than GT3 ever could.

Now, with all that objective info and more that it's up there for grabs, should PD focus on either NASCAR or in F1? If you want more facts besides what would sell the most, consider F1 is and always has been an European centric racing category and also is the most important of them all globally, right now and ever.

You must remember that PD is a Japanese centered game and Japan isn't their biggest selling area. Just like sales don't translate into a game being good or without several faults, neither does viewing number relates into am F1 or Nascar game selling. I've been a fan of both for years and only bought 3 games combined between the two series. If you have some degree in marketing that helps you specialize in buying habits of groups then I might be more inclined to see where you are coming from.

I'll make it even easier: NASCAR practically solely exists in NA, whereas the rest of the world doesn't care about it, which not only Europe but Asia and the rest. If you simplify it then the vast majority of GT5:P and GT5 buyers aren't fond on NASCAR, because it is 4,15m (NA) against 11,86m (the rest of the world)

That's not true South America, Middle America, Australia have good size groups. There is viewership in Europe and Japan (since they use to go there in the 90s). Also how are the vast majority not fond of Nascar? Because they don't travel to Europe. I guess most aren't fond of Super GT either and forget about ever trying to bring in IZOD or Pirtek V8 Supercars. And for historic events Europe better never see Can-Am in a gt game since they clearly dictate if GT sales or not. Also to further go on this, since sales are everything they couldn't have hated it too much since we knew well in advanced that GT5 would have such a series and so many in that region still bought it. By your reasoning NA sales should have blown Europe out of the water based solely on Nascar since everyone here watches it. :ouch::dopey:

The answer is pretty obvious but GT5 has more NASCAR content than F1's, when the potential content that's out of the question is marginal.

About one car being iconic every 5 years, any F1 fan will tell you that's the least and I used a conservative measure.

Any F1 fan, I guess your not talking to an F1 fan right now. I'm pretty sure I post on those threads more than you but okay. Sure it does happen in Nascar, if you want I could list several iconic cars in the span of ten years. Also, F1 doesn't have 1 iconic car from 90-95 for example MP4/5, 641, FW14, MP4/6, Jordan 191, FW15C, MP4/8 (Due to donnington), FW16, and B194, B195. I'm sure others would say I'm missing a car or two. That's more than one for sure.

If you google up the cars I named you would have came up with the answers already. I shouldn't do your homework in an argument and, most importantly, you should know the answers in advance considering your expertise claim on #297.

What homework are you doing for me? I don't think you what you're on about, you claimed there were plenty of games to show that the license was accessible. Thus you made a claim in fact and I'm asking you to provide evidence, thus you are doing you need to show us your proof.

Also hate to break it to you, but the world doesn't care enough to broadcast auto sports much less F1 on a regular basis unless something major happens, like a fatality or critical injury. Le Mans was covered this year by outlets more so due to the sad death that occurred, it shouldn't be that way but sadly news sales through sensationalism.

Last edited:
Let's not descend into the whole "you're not a real motorsport fan if you don't like NASCAR" debate. The starts and finishes are interesting, but overall I find NASCAR oval races fairly overlong and boring. The middle of the race feels largely inconsequential - which is why NASCAR uses a point system that awards points for leading a lap. Generally so long as drivers don't crash into each other they'll be guaranteed to catch up in an inevitable caution period. Road races at Watkins Glen are infinitely better, bar NASCAR's inability to use local yellows.

It seems a bit nonsensical to have so many Sprint Cup Cars but no meaningful series to race them in. Simulating NASCAR oval racing is about racing in large packs, realistic slipstreaming, asymmetric tuning ...none of which GT has.

The middle of a NASCAR race may appear inconsequential to a casual observer, but it isn't. Theres a constant battle for track position the entire race. Many times in the middle of a race a fast car will have a bad pit stop or make the wrong call on tires only to get caught up in traffic and never be a factor for the rest of the race. Just because the field bunches up on a caution doesnt mean you can pass everybody again easily. In fact cautions either help or hurt a drivers chance to win. They're not always a positive

NASCAR races on roadcourses are fun, but infinitely better then oval races? California, Bristol night, and many other oval races this year were much better then the two average road course events

As for saying "you're not a motorsport fan if you dont like all motorsports" well I cant agree with that. Thats like saying you dont like women if you dont like brunettes. Some people have specific tastes, while others, like myself, are more liberal. Im glad that I like every single form of motorsport out there, but some dont, and thats life.

Most of us in Australia only watch NASCAR because of Marcos Ambrose, if he wasn't there NASCAR might not even get shown here

I have nothing against NASCAR, I like NASCAR races in GT5 but I don't think we need every NASCAR car in GT6. It's just a waste of resources.

I must admit that some races are a bit processional, and the cautions kill me especially if they're on restarts. But I simply want the NASCAR haters to try a bit of it before slagging it off with silly comments, and correct people who think that all stock cars and Super GT cars are the same and don't require separate models. And let's be honest, even if they don't have enough places to properly race them, they are a ton of fun to race on any track!

Races in most series can be processional, my colleagues joke that they'll only be watching the start and finish of an F1 GP, because those are the only interesting bits - then they proceed to not watch any of it because they're not interested anyway!

I like NASCAR, but I voted no in the poll, it just doesn't make sense, but if the same question were asked of the current F1 grid, I'd vote no too. I doubt GT will ever properly replicate any real series, so to put a lot of development into any one series seems a little fruitless...

...although I wouldn't complain if there was a full grids worth current DTM or recent BTCC cars :D

I'm genuinely surprised by the poll results! Pretty much even at this time (60/57).

Maybe people are just desperate for more cars!

I voted NO.
Don't like the style of racing or the cars.
As a replacement I would love a large selection of the classic 60s and 70s muscle cars with race versions also available!

First, the question as stated needs some clarification.

The term "NASCAR", covers all the sanctioned divisions of racing, from the "Cup cars", some of which are in GT5, as well as Nationwide, Trucks, Late model, and stock classes.

So you are really asking if every car and truck from all the divisions be included?
I doubt thats what you meant to ask, and assume you mean to say, every "Cup car", known currently as "Sprint Cup".

If thats the question, then I would have to answer, no.
I don't think the game needs every individual car.

A few, like GT5?
Then I would say, yes.
That would be only on the basis, that GT is a car game and boasts the most cars in its games.
Therefore I would say a few should be included, like were in GT5.
I believe it was one of the better novelties in GT5.

GT is not going to capture, in a comprehensive way, the unique style and details of this racing, and I don't think it should even try.
Codemasters is having a difficult enough time, doing it in a exclusively dedicated game.
However GT can still convey a little of the feel and experience of driving these cars, which is IMO is in keeping with it's theme.

Back