• Thread starter machscnel
  • 248 comments

Do you want a NASCAR update?

• Yes

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 62.4%

• Total voters
I agree that driving talent is a natural ability, coming from anyone of any nationality. But, the environment and culture you are raised in can have a huge effect on the things we strive to be good at. We all know the differences in Europe, Japan, and US cultures somewhat.
-I'm thinkin of getting stationed in England for my next duty station. Perhaps then I can pick up a Pal version and sit down with some "mates" for a cheeky gt5 race. lol.

I certainly think you have a point, some thing about the culture causes Finland to have many great drivers per populice.

i will admit that NASCAR is not always the most fun to watch, but it is much more fun to play a game with the cars in it.

watching and playing are two different experiences, thinking that they are similar in fun is not at all correct

Thank you, but its still more than the US.
In overall terms. Doesn't mean Europeans should be catered to though, when technically, they only beat the US in the sales of 2 games compared to the US leading sales from GT1 to 3. Last I checked, 3>2.

Regardless, again, the number of sales should not be determine who PD should cater to.

Because they have better releationship with japanese car makers like nissan and championships like the Super GT so its easy to get permission for there cars.
So? Who says PD doesn't have good relations with any of the US makers or series?

And like someone else pointed out; Toyota is Japanese!
i will admit that NASCAR is not always the most fun to watch, but it is much more fun to play a game with the cars in it.

watching and playing are two different experiences, thinking that they are similar in fun is not at all correct

I agree, but in an opposite kind of way. Some motorsports are really boring in a game, some are boring on TV, but none is boring IRL, as a spectator! A driver may have some preferences, but in general, I think most drivers like to drive most racecars.
Those boring in a game is totally individual, as it´s a matter of opinion and personal taste. Same goes for those on TV.
My personal taste tells me I find drifting, NASCAR and dragracing very boring in a game, and that NASCAR is the most boring motorsport to watch on TV.
However, I wouldn´t mind watching - or driving, if I was skilled enough :sly: - any of them live.

Last edited:
Reventón;3273789
In overall terms. Doesn't mean Europeans should be catered to though, when technically, they only beat the US in the sales of 2 games compared to the US leading sales from GT1 to 3. Last I checked, 3>2.

Regardless, again, the number of sales should not be determine who PD should cater to.

So? Who says PD doesn't have good relations with any of the US makers or series?

GT1:
EU: 4,300
US: 3,990

GT2:
EU: 3,680
US: 3,960

GT3:
EU: 5,840
US: 7,140

GT4:
EU: 5,850
US: 2,930

GT5P:
EU: 1,450
US: 610

EU 3 - 2 US

Cany you really not add 5 numbers :boggled:

Is there any point in this, it obvious more people who voted dont want Nascar in GT.

I voted "no" for this as an update.

Were some Nascars included in the final game - that would be fine by me. There is nothing wrong with an increased diversity and a chance to drive some new cars. I wouldn't have given the Elise so much credit as a car had it not been in GT5p.

As an update for GT5p, however, there are other things I would want before this.

America has just as much influence on GT as Europe turbo. Stop being so thickheaded with this sales numbers nonsense

Did you read the whole thread or just this page, all i did is reply to Reventón's comment:
Reventón;3272490
And I don't think a lot of people in the US watch the SuperGT or FIA GT, so why should we have 20 SuperGT cars?

saying that GT sells more in the EU than the US so that could be why. Reventón keeps posting a incorrect numbers about GT selling more in the US than it does in the EU so i was just correcting him.

This bickering over which region is more important based on historical sales figures is pointless.

From a business perspective, all regions are important. Depending on their marketing strategy, regions which are underperforming may receive more attention in an effort to boost sales, since there's more potential for growth. However, you don't want to abandon your core markets and risk losing market share to competitors. In the case at hand, Europe and the US are both large markets of approximately equal size. Catering to one at the expense of the other is just silly and isn't likely to happen.

From a creative standpoint, the GT series has always raised the bar by presenting various aspects of motorsport that their customer may not be familiar with. Whether it be racing mundane road cars, or SUVs, or the introduction of rally tracks on dirt or snow, or oval racing. Not all of these have been popular with all their customers, but all have helped to advance the series. To paraphrase PT Barnam: You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

For the record, I voted no in this poll, but as long as Nascar didn't become the focus of the series (fat chance of that), the addition of a Nascar style car or two wouldn't have an adverse affect on the game or the series, and would likely add to the overall experience by adding yet another type of motorsport for us all to see and learn from.

GT1:
EU: 4,300
US: 3,990

GT2:
EU: 3,680
US: 3,960

GT3:
EU: 5,840
US: 7,140

GT4:
EU: 5,850
US: 2,930

GT5P:
EU: 1,450
US: 610

EU 3 - 2 US

Cany you really not add 5 numbers :boggled:
My apologies then.
Is there any point in this, it obvious more people who voted dont want Nascar in GT.
Doesn't mean a thing. This poll doesn't stand as the decision maker for PD, nor does it account for every GT fan's choice.

Reventón;3273789
, they only beat the US in the sales of 2 games compared to the US leading sales from GT1 to 3. Last I checked, 3>2.
series?

I think its important to point out that back in the days of gt1-3, there was a different audience purchasing the games in the US. There were a ton of street racing junkies, kids, teenagers, etc. who bought the game because it had all their favorite import cars, and it was one of the only games at the time to offer such a large amount of tuning, (like turbo's). Now look a the racing games being offered. Need for speed series, Forza, Burnout. All these great arcade, sim, and extreme racing games have tickled the different demographic's fancies, and taken the number away from the GT franchise. Europe, like I mentioned earlier, has a huge passion for road racing, so I thinks its only natural that their numbers would stay consistant / grow, while the US's sales would go down.
The fact that there are so many racing games of different styles is a GOOD thing. the kids / unskilled drivers who would tend to ram us into a side rail, are more likely playing a copy of Need for speed now, instead of GT5p.

There is no way you can know that, unless there was a survey back in the day, that covered who bought what and where.

And to Reventón; the poll only asks if you´d like NASCAR as an update for GT5P, nothing more.

What is it that is so terrifying about having more cars in a game?? If you don´t like them, don´t drive them!

I would love to see some nascars in this game. A few of them wouldn't hurt. I rather have them over 1900's useless vehicles.

Also, it would be interesting to see how well a nascar can do against today's hot supercars. Anyone know? :)

im very european... yet i do think a bit of nascar wouldnt be bad, only if there was damage.... even though Nascar is as boring as darts, driving would be cool, very close racing.....

the only problem is that the AI will always be s*** and you wont have close racing and online is terrible so you wont be able to get close without annihilating someone....

daihatsu_midget_ii_13027.jpg

^^ That thing was in GT4.. GT4 was a PS2 game and they managed to cramp over 600 cars, right? They should leave out crap like that and put in a NASCAR car or two.

Where's the source for this? I wan't to read it.. Sounds interesting.
On another note; NASCAR vehicles are great cars for what they do. It's a different type of racing vehicle, it doesn't suit every (like you) but it may be a really cool idea for some people. I don't really enjoy NASCAR that much but driving one in GT5 would be pretty awesome.

Amen. I'm a NASCAR fan, and I know they tour NASCAR in Mexico, Canada, and yes, Japan. They don't have to have the official Jeff Gordon sponsor on the car. Just the car. I agree that they can hold the 3rd world vehicles and put a few NASCAR styled cars. By the way, NASCAR has road courses.

In the last game they had the Plymouth Superbird which raced in NASCAR. If they put that in the game again there is a Nascar in the game. I don't think PD should go any farther than that.

Nah, NASCAR cars now are completely different than those in the older days. I personally dont think they are going to do it, but I don't see the logic in being AGAINST it. It's automotive racing, just like anything else in the game. It has a large demographic, and despite claims from people who havent actually experienced it other than what they see flipping through channels on TV, it's fun to play/do. NASCAR has a heck of a bigger demographic than those 3-wheeled rice carriers, yet nobody is posting a "should we do away with rice transporters and such?" thread. Maybe you should start one? A "What GT5 can do without." thread. That would be a good thing to do.

I think its important to point out that back in the days of gt1-3, there was a different audience purchasing the games in the US. There were a ton of street racing junkies, kids, teenagers, etc. who bought the game because it had all their favorite import cars, and it was one of the only games at the time to offer such a large amount of tuning, (like turbo's). Now look a the racing games being offered. Need for speed series, Forza, Burnout. All these great arcade, sim, and extreme racing games have tickled the different demographic's fancies, and taken the number away from the GT franchise. Europe, like I mentioned earlier, has a huge passion for road racing, so I thinks its only natural that their numbers would stay consistant / grow, while the US's sales would go down.
The fact that there are so many racing games of different styles is a GOOD thing. the kids / unskilled drivers who would tend to ram us into a side rail, are more likely playing a copy of Need for speed now, instead of GT5p.
This is utter made-up bullocks.

You continue to believe that because Europe's road racing is shown more on TV, that this now has some influence on GT. It doesn't.
And to Reventón; the poll only asks if you´d like NASCAR as an update for GT5P, nothing more.

What is it that is so terrifying about having more cars in a game?? If you don´t like them, don´t drive them!
What are you on about? I'm all for more cars of any variety in this game. What I can't stand are the dumb reasons being made in this thread for stock cars not to be put in.
TVC
In the last game they had the Plymouth Superbird which raced in NASCAR. If they put that in the game again there is a Nascar in the game. I don't think PD should go any farther than that.
That's not a NASCAR. There is no car called a NASCAR. You're thinking of a stock car, which the Superbird isn't. The one in the game was the production car anyways, not the ones raced.

From your logic, there shouldn't be any SuperGT cars then because they've already added NSX's, Skyline's, etc.

TVC
What if they make you drive them?
They made you drive those awful pickup trucks in GT4. I loath pickups! But to open the next racinghall, I had to do them, simple as that.
I have some hope about GT5 not being set up the same way, so that you can unlock tracks and cars in other ways. I´m pretty sure there will be some driftevents aswell, and TBH, IMO drifting is way more boring to drive than any oval! But I´ll probably do it anyway...
Reventón;3274904
What are you on about? I'm all for more cars of any variety in this game. What I can't stand are the dumb reasons being made in this thread for stock cars not to be put in.
I merely pointed out that this thread is about GT5P, not GT5. You answered: Doesn't mean a thing. This poll doesn't stand as the decision maker for PD, nor does it account for every GT fan's choice. to Is there any point in this, it obvious more people who voted dont want Nascar in GT. So in effect my point wasn´t exactly meant for you... people voting in this poll aren´t voting about GT in general, they are voting about NASCAR as an update in GT5P.
The second part of my notion had nothing to do with you at all, should´ve been clearer about that, sorry. It was just a statement to the general readers, and especially the nay sayers.

I can repeat that, to those who are against; what is so horrible about having more variety and more choices?

Last edited:
They made you drive those awful pickup trucks in GT4. I loath pickups!

What about Utes which provide practicality, car like handling and good performance?:odd: (Read Holden and Ford Australia Utes)

What about Utes which provide practicality, car like handling and good performance?:odd: (Read Holden and Ford Australia Utes)

Doesn´t matter, they´re still hideously ugly! Just like SUV´s. I would never ever want to be seen driving something like that! No matter how fast or good they are. (OK, maybe a Baja truck or a rallyraid car...) If I had a choice between a F-150 and a tricycle, I´d take the tricycle anyday.
Matter of taste and opinion and OT, so I´ll stop now.

Doesn´t matter, they´re still hideously ugly! Just like SUV´s. I would never ever want to be seen driving something like that! No matter how fast or good they are. (OK, maybe a Baja truck or a rallyraid car...) If I had a choice between a F-150 and a tricycle, I´d take the tricycle anyday.

lol, what if the F150 was a SVT Lightning?

I wish to thank nascar for showing me the way to beat all the so called good / fast drivers in the beginers at daytona in the gt40 .

More so MegaRa24 come on !!!! each time he askes me to race him i cant help myself and show him how its dun, and all the wimps that think they are real drivers in beginers, so pop up to expert and see some real fast drivers

I wish to thank nascar for showing me the way to beat all the so called good / fast drivers in the beginers at daytona in the gt40 .

:lol: You're not serious are you? Good drivers in beginner at Daytona? Thats against the laws of...of...the universe!

I would like to see the return of an unrestricted expert level/pro physics race at Daytona Oval at 700-750pp. I cannot for the life of me understand why PD decided to remove it in the first place.

I raced that track right up to 2,000,000cr, and each and every race I participated in was full for the most part. Many of the racers I would complete against were regulars, and over the time the competition was active, I got to know and appreciate their driving style. It was also a track that brought into contrast the best and worst in any driver.

Most of my memorable action packed races were at that track, and the hardcore of good drivers (that regularly frequented it), made it an enjoyable competition to participate in. 👍

Here's to PD bringing it back! 👍

even though Nascar is as boring as darts, driving would be cool, very close racing.....

the only problem is that the AI will always be s*** and you wont have close racing
the closest racing that i can remember in GT are the F1 races in GT4 at Motegi SuperSpeedway and the High Speed Ring, really the only way that i won it was that i stretched my fuel and tires as far as i could. it was close because the cars were so equal; the same would happen with NASCAR type cars, in theory.

Maybe you should do a quick search for "HSV Maloo" and see if you still don`t like utes...even though one has his own likes and dislikes.

Too paulie a VS series 3 Maloo would look good in GT5!
And lets not forget those early Lightening F-150`s now thats a good looking ute or that concept dodge VTS ute,any meaner and it would beat you up :scared:

Back