• 248 comments

Do you want a NASCAR update?

• Yes

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 62.4%

• Total voters
My Ute's a VR, but same body anyway.;)
So, let's say we get NASCAR, shoudl we get the "truck" series as well?

A VS is a better,smoother car than a VR. VS V6 leaks oil badly though from everywhere and the power steering. V8 is the way to go.

lol, what if the F150 was a SVT Lightning?
I´d go for the tricycle! Ugly lump that thing.
You must be really horrible at drifting then if you say its more boring than griping an oval track....:scared:
No, actually not, it´s just extremely unrewarding IMO. Ovalracing isn´t exactly fun either, but more thrilling than drifting. Drifting is just...slow!
Maybe you should do a quick search for "HSV Maloo" and see if you still don`t like utes...even though one has his own likes and dislikes.

Too paulie a VS series 3 Maloo would look good in GT5!
And lets not forget those early Lightening F-150`s now thats a good looking ute or that concept dodge VTS ute,any meaner and it would beat you up :scared:

It doesn´t matter what it has under the hood, and it doesn´t matter how much they "look like a car". They´re effectively not a car, and they´re just ugly.

Paulie
My Ute's a VR, but same body anyway.
So, let's say we get NASCAR, shoudl we get the "truck" series as well?
Noooooo! :) Well, they´re race cars, only ugly!

A VS is a better,smoother car than a VR. VS V6 leaks oil badly though from everywhere and the power steering. V8 is the way to go.

VR and VS are for most parts the same, with the addition of the Ecotec V6 in VS. My V6 is perfectly fine though thankyou, and capable of serious speed with some minor modifactions. Now this is OT, so let's end it.

Just a quick comment on Vaxen saying the US and EU are similar size markets: The US has got a population of around 305 million (http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html), whereas just the EU has a little over 500 million (http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/pls...2008-EN-AP.PDF).

So assuming the "market" means people who could by a product, the EU is quite a lot larger.

Well, by that reasoning, Sony should just forget about both the EU and the US, and focus on India and China...

Market is more complicated than a simple head count.

Bottom line is that both the US and the EU are important markets. Arguing over which is more important is inflammatory, divisive, and ultimately pointless.

Please note: I didn't say one was more important than the other, I just wanted to correct your assertion that they were equal in size. I've noticed it's a common misconception.

Yes, market size is a complicated question but I can't think of any measure which would make them anywhere near close in size. Whereas, India could be disregarded in terms of population, as a large proportion of the population haven't got the means to buy a PS3 or a game! This is certainly not the case with regard to either the US or EU. It's also worth keeping in mind that Europe is more than just EU member states.

Anyway, yes it is pointless, as I pointed out in previous posts because:
1. PD probably include cars and features based more on their opinion of what's fun for them, than what we want. Personally I sometimes wish they'd do more what I wanted but on the other hand the reason I love the GT series is because of the sense of passion for motoring that they put into it.
2. In my experience companies rarely act on maximising profit, in fact they often don't even keep good enough figures to be able to do so. Well, in twenty years of working, I've never met one that acted in any kind of sane way which is why I like Dilbert :-)

Still, like everyone else, I would love to know what PD are planning and to get more cars or tracks for GT5P! If I had a choice it wouldn't be NASCAR though

Last edited:
Besides, GT5P doesn't have 'practical' race cars. It has tuned cars, but no real race cars. I think NASCAR stock cars would be considered race cars, though they could add tuned versions of the cars that feature in NASCAR (even though Toyota's not there so they can't do the Camry).

Those "stock cars" aren´t even remotely related to the roadcars they portray, except by name, so even tuned versions wouldn´t be close to what the racecars are.
They have about as much incommon with the roadcars as the GT500 SuperGT cars do to their counterparts.

From what I see it isnt about the car its about the lack of respect for this type of racing. And I'm sorry but when you have respect for somthing like "Drifting" and not for "NASCAR" I cant take your opinion seriously.

Fine you dont like it and its boring to you. Heck F1 in my opinion is the most boring, at least you get passing in NASCAR. But that is not a reason to exclude it from a video game where diversity should win out.

As for NASCAR not "fitting" GT thats such as snob statment. Honestly what makes GT great is it has no "fit" it can be whatever it wants. It doesnt just follow one series.

Now if it was up to me GT would be a "Le Mans" simulator.

"The more narrow minded you are, the less you experience."

Thats the thing i love about NASCAR you dont know who the winner is until the finish line, although NASCAR for me is boring, its nice to see a track just to get the feel of it in GT5, its also a good money making opprtunity, i can talk on the fone, browse the web at the same time while going around in circles :)

I mean its hard to do that on...hmmm lets say Nurburgring or Trial Mountain

I think we should start calling them Stock Cars now instead of NASCAR. I don't wan't officially license NASCAR cars on GT5. I'd rather have my own that I can race. Also, NASCAR switched to a newer design so which versions are we wanting to put in? I personally like the previous body style better than the COT.

I dont want to start some sort of drama but i got a good laugh out of this post from you.
No, actually not, it´s just extremely unrewarding IMO. Ovalracing isn´t exactly fun either, but more thrilling than drifting. Drifting is just...slow!

If you think drifting is unrewarding then OVIOUSLY your doing it wrong lol. About being too slow then have you ever thought that maybe you should put some better tires on and go faster??? It just makes me laugh that anyone that is a car head like me could find driving in a circle / oval more exciting / thrilling than trying to man handle a car that is on the edge of looping out.

Oval / nascar is a sport for people that failed at making it in real racing imho ( i know i just said that and dont care what others think about my comment cause its my opinion and everyone is intitled to there own. ;)

ON TOPIC: i voted yes tho for nascar in gt5p the more cars they include the better, Because like the guy i quoted everyone has there own opinion and taste for diferent kinds of racing :D

If GT5 recycles the two versions of Infineon *coughSearsPointcough* Raceway (sports and stock car course) from GT4 to go with Daytona, it would be nice if they at least included a generic stock car in a variety of color schemes (a la GT4's F1 cars).

NASCAR may not be a popular form of racing outside of the US, but it could be a fun change of pace.

I dont want to start some sort of drama but i got a good laugh out of this post from you.

If you think drifting is unrewarding then OVIOUSLY your doing it wrong lol. About being too slow then have you ever thought that maybe you should put some better tires on and go faster??? It just makes me laugh that anyone that is a car head like me could find driving in a circle / oval more exciting / thrilling than trying to man handle a car that is on the edge of looping out.
No matter how fast you think drifting is, it´s always slower than grip racing. And I find grip racing much, much more rewarding and on the edge than drifting. This is ofcourse in game. IRL it´s a different thing alltogether. Drifting isn´t easy by any means, and doing it for real is fun. But in a game? Nope!
Oval / nascar is a sport for people that failed at making it in real racing imho ( i know i just said that and dont care what others think about my comment cause its my opinion and everyone is intitled to there own. ;)

ON TOPIC: i voted yes tho for nascar in gt5p the more cars they include the better, Because like the guy i quoted everyone has there own opinion and taste for diferent kinds of racing :D
You are ofcourse entitled to your opinion, but as far as NASCAR drivers being failed racers, I think that´s a bit strong. They are infact very good at what they do, and what they do isn´t as easy as it may appear.

No matter how fast you think drifting is, it´s always slower than grip racing. Drifting isn´t easy by any means, and doing it for real is fun. But in a game? Nope!

They are infact very good at what they do, and what they do isn´t as easy as it may appear.
This will be my last post in this topic. First i fully agree with that statement drift will never be as fast as grip racing. Yes drifting in real life is fun i used to go to willow springs when they had drift practice days, untill i lost my car due to a drunk driver. So thus why i find drifting on a game is fun ;)

Last i will say yes nascar drivers are good at going in a circle as you stated but my god are you serious nascar definitally takes the LEAST amount of talent compairing it to other types of auto racing

Last i will say yes nascar drivers are good at going in a circle as you stated but my god are you serious nascar definitally takes the LEAST amount of talent compairing it to other types of auto racing
You wouldn't know this for a fact if it bit you on the rear. The amount of endurance & muscle to handle one of these cars for 2 hours+ is enough to tire out even the greatest of drivers.

This will be my last post in this topic. First i fully agree with that statement drift will never be as fast as grip racing. Yes drifting in real life is fun i used to go to willow springs when they had drift practice days, untill i lost my car due to a drunk driver.

So by your take indycar drivers are bad racecardrivers aswell? They too drive around in circles, only even faster.
No, it takes alot of skill driving those beasts of cars, at 180-190mph only an inch or two from the next car.
I definitely respect the drivers who do this, but the sport has become a joke thanks to really poor manageing. It´s all about the money nowadays, and the racing has become a fairly low priority.

hmmm, I sound a bit like a fanboy :crazy: I´m not. NASCAR isn´t my cup of tea at all, I prefer Le Mans and GT racing! I´d rather see more of those cars than a "stock car", but I wouldn´t mind a couple of those for GT5, but as an update in GT5P? No.

facepalm.JPG

I see ignorance is the theme here?

daihatsu_midget_ii_13027.jpg

^^ That thing was in GT4.. GT4 was a PS2 game and they managed to cramp over 600 cars, right? They should leave out crap like that and put in a NASCAR car or two.

Where's the source for this? I wan't to read it.. Sounds interesting.
On another note; NASCAR vehicles are great cars for what they do. It's a different type of racing vehicle, it doesn't suit every (like you) but it may be a really cool idea for some people. I don't really enjoy NASCAR that much but driving one in GT5 would be pretty awesome.

The Midgit isn't crap, it's a fun car to drive!!

I invite you to try and prove it.

That is why JPM, scott speed, and all the other open wheel guys that joined nascar won all the races in the past 2 years. 💡

"Oval / nascar is a sport for people that failed at making it in real racing imho ( i know i just said that and dont care what others think about my comment cause its my opinion and everyone is intitled to there own. "

What about Marcus Ambrose from Australia. Cleaned up in V8 ford sedan racing for 2 yrs on your standard racing tracks that we have down here. Went over to race NASCAR and go around in big easy circles,and the last time i caught a glimpse of him he was middle of the pack battling it out....never hear how he`s winning every race. Can`t be too easy at all.
Gt and LeMAN`s cars are purpose built race cars( or thinly veiled prototypes/concept cars). Isnt GT more about your factory car?....Skyline,Evo,Corvette,WRX,BMW,Ferrari,Lotus etc the list goes on.

Kinda like how golf is the easiet sport ever. Omg all they do is hit a ball into a cup, that's so easy!!

Last edited:
And we all know how much of a failure F1 Champion Jacques Villeneuve was :lol:

Yeah, but he wasn't so great in F1, he only got his championship because of the Williams FW19, Adrian Newey, Renault engines and Damon Hill-testing expertise.

Premhz
"Oval / nascar is a sport for people that failed at making it in real racing imho ( i know i just said that and dont care what others think about my comment cause its my opinion and everyone is intitled to there own. "

What about Marcus Ambrose from Australia. Cleaned up in V8 ford sedan racing for 2 yrs on your standard racing tracks that we have down here. Went over to race NASCAR and go around in big easy circles,and the last time i caught a glimpse of him he was middle of the pack battling it out....never hear how he`s winning every race. Can`t be too easy at all.
Gt and LeMAN`s cars are purpose built race cars( or thinly veiled prototypes/concept cars). Isnt GT more about your factory car?....Skyline,Evo,Corvette,WRX,BMW,Fer rari,Lotus etc the list goes on.
GT cars come in many guises, but as a rule of thumb, they are mainly two door, 2 seater or 2+2 seater coupés. Corvette, Aston Martin, Ford GT and such. In ALMS they have something called GT2S, wich allow four doors, but right now, no such car is in use.
In Japan, they have made an exception for Subaru, wich has four doors.
Rules differ from class to class, where FIA GT4 is basically productioncars off the line. GT1 is the highest class, where cars are highly modified - The only production bits being the chassis, engineblock and headers. There are also rules around homologation and productionnumbers of the roadcar they intend to race.
In SuperGT, the cars are just silouhettes, and in being so, they are purpose built racecars, and infact, the GT500 cars are about as quick around a track as a P2 car. P2 is the lower of the two Le Mans prototypeclasses, and they are just that; Prototypes. Very quick cars, where P2 is about as fast as a champcar on a twisty track.
Now, "stock cars" wich race in nationwide or sprint cups, are also purpose built racecars. AFAIK they share no bits with the car they portray, so calling them a stock car is quite misleading IMO.

No, I would not expect to see any stock cars in GT5. Its impossible due to EA's exclusivity, and wouldn't really fit the MO of GT5.

But, whether you're a fan of watching NASCAR races or not, it is a very challenging beast to drive. 800+ HP with a 4-speed tranny, heavy car, limited downforce, etc.

EA's NASCAR games are HORRIBLE. When Sierra/Papyrus had the licensing rights, they made a fantastic NASCAR sim. NASCAR Racing 2003 is still used today due to an active mod community.

Kinda like how golf is the easiet sport ever. Omg all they do is hit a ball into a cup, that's so easy!!

Really ? I don't see your name on any PGA registry,American,or European tour. If it's so easy why are you not out there making "big money" for hitting a ball in a cup ? 💡

This thread is not about golf however , wanna discuss golf , good or bad , like or dislike , then go here :
www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113084

But, whether you're a fan of watching NASCAR races or not, it is a very challenging beast to drive. 800+ HP with a 4-speed tranny, heavy car, limited downforce, etc.

and without power steering for 4 hrs. and 500 miles , ask Ryan Newman about this.These guys are in remarkable shape to be able to drive that long , in a car where the inner car temperature can be over 100 degrees , and wearing a nomex driving suit to top it off. Kudos to the Nascar drivers 👍

Back