NBA 2010-2011 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,141 comments
Cho one's better than Rich. Well, except Pat. Lebron needs a mentor to teach him how to act. It must be hard for him to advance his game north to be the best in the East while his mom is going south on West. Does Mike Singletary still need a job?

Hopefully Miami can draft an automatic 3-point shot-maker and then get Dwight Howard. Bibby, Jamaal "The Yeti" Magliore, and Juwan Howard can retire.

And hopefully Portland can draft some good looking, strong-footed dudes to make up for Greg Oden.

Bibby, yes. Juwam, yes. Jamaal, no. He is a back up center, they just need a legit center to start.

I swear Lebron and Greg Oden are both the spawn of Delroy Lindow!

Also, with Portland losing Miller maybe Mills will get more game time again.:cheers:
We traded Miller, but we got two new point guards. Miller was traded for Raymond Felton. We also drafted Nolan Smith(PG/Duke), who they are probably trying mold into the back up role.

Felton isn't the answer for contender, Smith was picked way higher than any mock draft out there(ie they should have traded down). I am not impressed.

Anyway, I would guess that Patty Mills time here is done, Blazer broadcasting people last night guessed the same. He should be a free agent. It's a tricky situation as the CBA talk cancelled the Summer League, so these young guys are not able to showcase their talent, and compete for spots on the roster for the next season, whenever that might be.

Bibby, yes. Juwam, yes. Jamaal, no. He is a back up center, they just need a legit center to start.

I swear Lebron and Greg Oden are both the spawn of Delroy Lindow!

Joel Anthony will be the backup center to Dwight Howard. The Yeti will go back to the canadian mountains.

We traded Miller, but we got two new point guards. Miller was traded for Raymond Felton. We also drafted Nolan Smith(PG/Duke), who they are probably trying mold into the back up role.

Felton isn't the answer for contender, Smith was picked way higher than any mock draft out there(ie they should have traded down). I am not impressed.

Anyway, I would guess that Patty Mills time here is done, Blazer broadcasting people last night guessed the same. He should be a free agent. It's a tricky situation as the CBA talk cancelled the Summer League, so these young guys are not able to showcase their talent, and compete for spots on the roster for the next season, whenever that might be.

How could this Smith dude possibly be better than Mills? I mean, he's been good off the bench when your coach is actually smart enough to use him.:mischievous:

How could this Smith dude possibly be better than Mills? I mean, he's been good off the bench when your coach is actually smart enough to use him.:mischievous:
Not down this road again. :P

It's tough in the NBA. Teams are so deep that, this here is so cliche, but it is also true: You gotta be ready when your name is called. Patty's performance was not remotely close to consistent the time he's spent with the Blazers. Don't get me wrong, Luck Babbit, Armon Johnson(my pick over Patty), etc., there were plenty of young players who were unbelievably inconsistent. I take that back on Babbit, he was consistently horrid. He gets his second chance this season.

When I saw Nolan Smith, he was on the bench, so I couldn't begin to speculate how he measure up against Patty. Having said that, he is the draft pick. Between him & Patty, Smith stays. Patty might be able to beat out Armon, but I think the Blazers would be doing Patty a favor by letting him go. He will find a job after Blazers, we both know that. Chances are, a better one.

We don't know that he'll get a job, the NBA can be harsh like that, he'll probably end up in D-League which is a damn shame for Aussie basketball fans, but again we'll ride on any success Irving has since he was born in Australia :lol:, even if he did grow up in USA.;)

We don't know that he'll get a job, the NBA can be harsh like that, he'll probably end up in D-League which is a damn shame for Aussie basketball fans, but again we'll ride on any success Irving has since he was born in Australia :lol:, even if he did grow up in USA.;)
Even if he doesn't get a position in the NBA, it's better than rotting on the bench IMO. And these days, you see NBA caliber players playing in overseas. Pay isn't so bad either. If Patty makes the NBA, great. If he doesn't, there will be Euro teams after his service.

Edit:

I mentioned the 57th pick that we got in the trade, and how the pick was being traded, but didn't know the details. I found out yesterday. Sort of. :lol:
Jason Quick
A rule stipulation has complicated a draft-night trade of a late second-round pick between Portland and Minnesota, leaving the status of Tanguy Ngombo in limbo.

In a common practice in NBA trades on draft night, Portland selected Ngombo at the request of the Timberwolves as part of a trade. However, the 6-foot-6 forward from Qatar was not 21 as he listed on his passport, but rather 26. NBA rules state that once a player reaches 22 he may not be drafted, but rather has to be signed as a free agent.

The age oversight was made on the part of the Timberwolves, and the Blazers do not stand to be penalized. It is unknown what Portland stands to receive in the trade, or whether there will be any compensation.

Blazers interim general manager Chad Buchanan on Saturday said he was restricted from revealing any information on the situation.

"All I can say is we are currently in discussions about trading the rights to the 57th pick," Buchanan said.
Classic.

Last edited:
So basically our chances of seeing any more NBA this year are slim? It's going to be a looooong break.:guilty:

This is how much of a pimp Pat Riley is: They asked him who to draft, and he says, "Anyone with a high-top fade."

That's right, Pat Riley doesn't give a 🤬.

Paulie: I was dead wrong. Blazers offered Patty a qualifying offer, which makes him an restricted free agent.

What I don't understand is, the article I read said that it does not guarantee him a spot on the team. My understanding of the qualifying offer is, Blazers offered him a contract(probably at minimum), and if no other team matches the offer(the contract), Blazers will be obligated to honor the contract. Again, the article claims that this qualifying offer will only give Patty a chance to make the team.......

Dude, if we lose basketball and football..to quote Ray Lewis, "Crime will go up!".
Players are getting unfairly treated. Just because you can't play due to injury, team owners wants to take your $10 million or whatever you are making for the season away. Have they never heard of sick pay? I mean I don't make $10 million or anything, but I don't see how that's any different. And what is this revenue sharing business? Just because they fund the business, took the risk to invest, and continue to put their finance on the line, those owners think they can decide how those revenue should be distributed? Call me crazy, but yeah, just call me crazy.

So is Mills likely to be a good thing or bad thing for Aussie ball fans? Even if he's contracted to the Blazers can't they still just assign him to a D-League team?
Sounds like we'll know if the lockout is a go by tomorrow.

Stigsblkcousin
Dude, if we lose basketball and football..to quote Ray Lewis, "Crime will go up!".

No it won't, the Monday Night Football Prevents Crime theory is a fallacy. Ray Lewis, talented as he is, should keep his mouth shut about crime...

I don't really understand everything about each lockout, but the NBA's been through it with the '98-99 season: The guaranteed min/max for rookies, sliding-scale minimums for experienced players, and with the league's attendance and TV ratings on the rise, this is their chance to put one over on the NFL (which sounds to have more issues at stake). One problem for the NBA is that their off-season is a much shorter time span. By late-August, they're in training camp again.

The biggest problem the NBA has is owners/general managers giving contracts for big sums of money to players that have no business being given huge contracts. Those players do not include the Kobe Bryants, LeBron Jameses, Dwayne Wades of the NBA--there is a good financial return on big investments on franchise players like the above (but it would also not necessarily be bad for those players to make less)--but instead guys like Brendan Haywood (signed six year, $55 million contract on July 8, 2010), Rashard Lewis (signed six year, $118 million on July 11, 2007), Gilbert Arenas (signed six year, $111 million on July 13, 2008) (or in other words, overpaid role players or "almost" franchise talents that should not have been given franchise player money/contract length). It just so happens that this year, the CBA between the players and owners expires and the owners want to leverage that into protecting themselves from making stupid business moves that has caused around half of the NBA franchises to lose money the last few years (there is a bit of "keeping up with the Joneses" going on with the continued overpaying of unworthy players).

If the players and owners cannot come to an agreement before the next season, then the CBA expiring could not have come at a more inopportune time. The NBA just came off of a fantastic season. The regular season, playoffs, and Finals were all great basketball. There is more franchise talent in the NBA right now than has been present at one time in quite a while and many of the young and upcoming players are incredibly likable. It would be a huge shame to waste the momentum the NBA has going at the moment because millionaires and billionaires cannot come to an agreement.

Players association reminds me of the Detroit, and their UAW. They will continue to overestimate their worth, even as their 'company' is going through bankruptcy. These people need some reality check. They need a good 'ole slap in the face IMO.
So is Mills likely to be a good thing or bad thing for Aussie ball fans? Even if he's contracted to the Blazers can't they still just assign him to a D-League team?
They could send Patty do a D-League next season, but that's doubtful. Personally, I think Patty would be better off where he will get some playing time, but Blazers' qualifying offer suggests that they still hope Patty will be their guy at the back up point guard. I'm pretty sure that they would have cut him loose, if they didn't believe in Patty enough for him to win the #2 spot after Raymond Felton.
Sounds like we'll know if the lockout is a go by tomorrow.
They were so far apart in the negotiation, it would have taken a miracle for them to avoid the lockout. An miracle. No one is suprised, except only by how stupid & difficult these people are being. :crazy:

Adelaide now
548186spobkobknportland.jpg

Sixers sense opening to tempt Mills

THE NBA lock-out has given the 36ers a genuine shot at recruiting world championship starter Patrick Mills.

It is possible they could have the Beijing Olympian for at least a portion of the NBL season.

Adelaide coach Marty Clarke confirmed the dynamic point guard, who had a $1.2 million contract pending for a return with the Portland Trail Blazers before the lock-out last week, had talked about the possibility of playing in Australia this season.

But Clarke cautioned Mills' American agent was likely to push him toward the bigger dollars of Europe.

"Patty has gone back to Houston to work out and there's no doubt he wants to play somewhere (during the lock-out) and he does love Australia," Clarke said. "Pat is Pat - he's always bubbly about wanting to do something (in Australia).

"We have spoken with him but he'll get offers from Europe and if you're paying an agent big bucks, you're going to listen."

Working in the 36ers' favour is the fact Mills is anxious to actually get on court and play after averaging just 11.1 minutes per game in 74 outings with the Blazers across two seasons. He also has history with Clarke who coached him at the AIS and helped him get to St Mary's College in the US.

"Essentially he needs to play," Clarke said. "He doesn't want to sit on benches."

Clarke said Adelaide's other option as its new point guard, Wollongong's 2011 league MVP, import Gary Ervin, was playing in a summer league and increasingly difficult to pin down.

"He's been difficult to get a hold of but we're pursuing that," Clarke said. "In the long run, the longer it goes, the less confident you become of getting it done."

Ervin had been hoping for a European offer but the lock-out now has opened the door to more quality American players, especially with the NBA's D-League also suspended.

He remains high on the Sixers' priority list, though Mills' availability has raised the stakes.

"If Pat decides he wants to play in Australia and Adelaide, it would be a great thing for basketball," Clarke said.

"The danger is you bring a guy in and lose him in December or when the lock-out is over.

"There will be a wholesale reshuffle of (import) spots then."

Meanwhile in Latvia, Australia has gone down 68-78 to the host nation in the under-19 world championship, 36ers guard Mitch Creek leading the Aussies with 20 points.

LINK

Many entry level NBA players are either looking at, or being looked at from teams overseas. Rudy Fernandez, now of the Mavs(formerly of the Blazers) received an offer from Real Madrid that would have made him the highest paid player in the league? The contract would have released him back to the Mavs when the lockout was over. He would then fulfill the NBA contract(last one year), head back to Spain.

36ers. I love it. :lol:

I don't get what's funny about 36'ers? The NBL might get more attention from me with the NBA in lock-out, normally the skill level there isn't the highest.:boggled: There are a few good players obviously, but not enough to make a truly entertaining league, plus they purposely hold the league back so it doesn't contend more mainstream redneck sports in Australia.

I have a feeling that if this lockout does roll over into the regular season and players start going overseas, one of the TV networks are going to take advantage and show euro league ball. I don't know how that would go down with NBA TV, though.

Paulie
I don't get what's funny about 36'ers?

I guess it's because it sounds like the Philadelphia '76ers. Mind you, we also have an NFL team called the San Francisco '49ers (named for the 1849 California Gold Rush). There's a college basketball team in Colorado (?) called the '59ers, for locally similar circumstances, but the school name escapes me.

Learn history facts through meaning of team names, skip school entirely.

I don't get what's funny about 36'ers?

It made me laugh, because the article started out with "Sixers sense...", and for a microsecond, I thought they meant the 76ers, and of course, it turned out to be "Sixers" of no historical relevance to me. :D
I have a feeling that if this lockout does roll over into the regular season and players start going overseas, one of the TV networks are going to take advantage and show euro league ball. I don't know how that would go down with NBA TV, though.
They can show all the Euro ball they want, they are kind of cool, but considering these teams overseas already have players under contract, I doubt they have additional millions of dollars or Euros in reserve to pay the locked out NBA players on top of the contracts they already are obligated to. Another things is that if NBA players does play for teams overseas, I'm pretty sure that their NBA contract would be voided should they get injured playing professionally for another team. Would be a very risky move for any NBA players with lucrative contracts.

They're called the 36ers because the ute was invented in '36.

They're called the 36ers because the ute was invented in '36.

Not exactly.

The 36ers nickname comes from the fact that the Colony of South Australia was Officially Proclaimed on 28 December 1836.

Ford Australia was the first company to produce a coupe utility.[1] This was the result of a 1932 letter from the wife of a farmer in Victoria, Australia asking for “a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays”.[1] Ford designer Lew Bandt developed a suitable solution and the first coupe utility model was released in 1934.

I'd like to wish Yao Ming happy retirement. We still haven't had any significant big man since Hakeem. We still need lots of help to really get back to playoff form as well as (God willing) a championship contender.

Cheap shots aside (if any), how will you remember Yao Ming? Oh, here's some Yahoo! Sports insight on Yao Ming: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...ug=aw-wojnarowski_yao_ming_retires_nba_070811

Last edited:
I was kidding!

Paulie obviously felt the need to explain though. Not a wasted post, as I knew Omnis was kidding around, but now I know the real reason for the 36ers naming.

Very neat historical fact for me, as I love Europe, especially Australia. They are right down from Germany, right?

Well, hey, I was so close considering I pulled it out of my rear.

I figured as much.:lol: Since we were on the topic though I thought I'd look it up since I sure as hell didn't know.

Utes are serious business.

Damn right they are!:D

Very neat historical fact for me, as I love Europe, especially Australia. They are right down from Germany, right?

:lol: Yeah, something like that.:P

Back