NBA: 2013-2014 Season - DONE Spurs Win

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,927 comments
Its not surprising. Asik doesnt want any part of being Howards backup. Rockets should allow the request & see what he's worth. I know Cuban would offer him a contract.

I think Omer Asik will probably get unloaded anyways. I was watching "Pardon the Interruption" as the topic of Omer Asik was brought up. It would certainly be sad for us Rockets types if he signs for San Antonio or Dallas. He'd stay in the great state of Texas, but going to another Texas team will just mean more chances for my Rockets to see and play against him. As you all may know, the NBA's Southwest Division is brutally tough.

Blazers were after him, probably just couple of weeks ago. When Asik says he wants out, he probably doesn't mean "Portland", but he may not have any choice. :P Seriously though, I think Rockets is just playing smart about denying his request to be traded, because: a) By okaying the trade request, you see his trade value drop. b) Because Drama Howard will be requesting his own trade out of Houston by the deadline. I'm kidding.

Edit: Did you guys see the report about Lakers amnestying Artest & signing Kaman? Did not see that coming. Also, reportedly, Kings are talking to Monta Ellis. Boy, that would be a big upgrade over Evans in my book.

Last edited:
Kaman is a Laker now. An LA team with no hope to win? It couldn't be more fitting.

I like the report about Cavs offering short contract to Bynum. If they can claim World Peace off amnesty, that gotta party. No one may not want this party, but they will have it. :lol:

We'll take Asik. Can't be worse than Rishard Lewis lol.

Edit: Did you guys see the report about Lakers amnestying Artest & signing Kaman? Did not see that coming. Also, reportedly, Kings are talking to Monta Ellis. Boy, that would be a big upgrade over Evans in my book.

Ellis and Evans have virtually the same style of play, slash to the rim and are volume shooters who need the ball in their hand to score, plus they have Thornton and that rookie at SG so I don't see much point within signing him.

The Houston Rockets beat the Utah Jazz 85-71 in an Orlando Summer League match earlier today. Cameras here in Houston were highlighting on Dwight Howard sightings here in Houston. D12 was spotted on cameras on KHOU Channel 11 (Houston's CBS affiliate) at a popular restaurant here in Houston called The Breakfast Klub ordering their famous catfish and grits for breakfast. Yep. Welcome to H-Town, D12!

ESPN shows like "First Take," "Around the Horn," and "Pardon the Interruption" have all questioned how well the Rockets could do. PTI had a Toss-Up on if the Rockets or the Lakers will win a title first. Part of me says the Rockets still need some more players to really have a chance at being in the Western Conference Finals, let alone the NBA Finals. Houston would be in a rare position if they were TRUE contenders- being better than San Antonio and Dallas as far as the Texas Triangle is concerned. Oklahoma City is still plenty tough. I also wouldn't count out the likes of Golden State, Denver, and Portland. You also have to account for both Los Angeles teams.

I am a "let's wait and see" kind of person rather than "they'll win it all" person. No matter how talented a team is, you have to deliver in all phases of the game through the whole season. It is a mountain-climbing process rather than being a lock for the highest prize. You can be the most talented team and end up falling on your face, crushing any dreams of being champions. You have to go through 82 regular season games, and you must survive three stages of playoff basketball before you can play in the NBA Finals for the O'Brien Trophy. The Rockets are favorites... but not a lock. There's still a long time before the regular season starts in late October. Regardless, I'd still love for the Rockets to win the franchise's third NBA championship... and perhaps many more.

Ellis and Evans have virtually the same style of play, slash to the rim and are volume shooters who need the ball in their hand to score, plus they have Thornton and that rookie at SG so I don't see much point within signing him.
You gotta be kidding me, Stav! Ellis is a shooter. Streaky, but deadly shooter!
We'll take Asik. Can't be worse than Rishard Lewis lol.
You guys can have Howard at the trade deadline. Just have the other Howard & couple of second round pick on the standby. :lol:

Monta Ellis a shameless chucker. He has no business being on a team that wants to win.

Reggie Jackson set a Summer League single game scoring record today with 35 points, 23 of which came in the fourth quarter. Jackson could be a very effective sixth man this year for the Thunder, especially after getting some extended playing time in the playoffs last year once Russell Westbrook went down. :grumpy:

I'll tell you what. That Kelly Olynyk guy that Boston signed? He looks like a great pickup for the Celtics. I kind of see a bright future for this big guy. He did pretty good in the Celtics' game against the Pacers earlier today.

Elsewhere, reports state that M. Speights signed with the Warriors. Speights was a solid player when he played for the Memphis Grizzlies. I imagine his signing with the Warriors will make Golden State just a tad more dangerous.

Andrew Bynum is off the market as he reportedly signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers. People talk about how good the Rockets can be this upcoming season, but many others have the Cavaliers as a team to watch this upcoming season. If we're talking up and coming teams, it will be interesting to see the Cleveland/Toronto matches. Maybe Andrew Bynum gives CLE a lift... as long as he stays in check.

And his knees. I wish Cleveland luck. A lot of luck.
Reggie Jackson set a Summer League single game scoring record today with 35 points, 23 of which came in the fourth quarter. Jackson could be a very effective sixth man this year for the Thunder, especially after getting some extended playing time in the playoffs last year once Russell Westbrook went down. :grumpy:
I wouldn't count on summer league performance, but it's still exciting to see the kids prove themselves right off the bat. 👍
He is but the only thing about him over Evans is that he can shoot the 3, but it is very streaky from out there.
Well, shooting isn't all 3's, but I've seen Evans play like once, so I'll give you that one. :D

I wouldn't count on summer league performance, but it's still exciting to see the kids prove themselves right off the bat. 👍

I would not count on any summer performances either.

This will be Jackson's third year. He started showing some glimpses late last year of being an effective player. Hopefully, he continues to improves, steps up, and becomes a very good sixth man. That would help the Thunder tremendously and take some pressure off Jeremy Lamb from being immediately pressed into the sixth man role. I am not sure Lamb is ready for that just yet. Though, if he were, then that would be awesome.

Ah, my bad, I thought he was new.

How much will Kevin Martin departure hurt the Thunder?

Andrew Bynum is off the market as he reportedly signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers. People talk about how good the Rockets can be this upcoming season, but many others have the Cavaliers as a team to watch this upcoming season. If we're talking up and coming teams, it will be interesting to see the Cleveland/Toronto matches. Maybe Andrew Bynum gives CLE a lift... as long as he stays in check.
Where did you hear that?

Last report said he told the Cavaliers he would meet with Dallas tomorrow & I have yet to see anything saying he's inked a deal.

Ah, my bad, I thought he was new.

How much will Kevin Martin departure hurt the Thunder?

Martin was not very good at defense. So on that side of the ball, it should be more than easy enough to replace his lack of ability. Offensively, Martin was pretty good. However, his production is not something that cannot be replaced and looks to be slipping some. With Martin being 30, turning 31 during this upcoming season, the contract Minnesota has reportedly given Martin is a bit steep.

Reggie Jackson should be able to step into the sixth man role and perform adequately. Replacing Martin's three point shooting could be difficult if Jeremy Lamb does not step up to the plate, as Jackson, at this point, is not a good three point shooter.

Martin was a smooth shooter, I liked watching him. I guess when you have Durant & Westbrook on the team, one less jumpshooter isn't the end of the world. :lol:

Well, I said "reportedly" in regards to Andrew Bynum. I got this either from NBA TV or ESPN (NBA TV, I believe).

NO! Don't you hate it when your team signs a player you don't like? Raptors have reportedly signed Tyler Hansbrough (Dogsbrough as we call him, because he's a dog who takes a lot of cheap shots for no reason). He'd better reform his ways now he's playing for Toronto *Shakes fist*.

I wonder how Rasheed Wallace will do as an Assistant Head Coach. He became Assistant Coach of the Detroit Pistons. Most people know 'Sheed as a Technical Foul magnet. I don't know... maybe he'll help make the Detroit Pistons better with his coaching. Only thing I'm not expecting is for this Pistons team to be as good as the old Bad Boy Pistons of the late 1980s.

Paulie: Hansbrough's the type of a guy it's secretly entertaining to have on your team. You label him a freight train publicly, but can't help but to chuckle when he's hacking the heck out of Dwyane Wade. Wait, is that just me? My bad.

John: I was a Rasheed fan for a long time, then turned Rasheed hater. While he was not exactly a headcase, he just reeked of immaturity. Lot of fans here always thought the guy was a KG/Duncan class player, if he just applied himself, and cut down on his smokes. Damon Stoudamire was another one from the same team. One day, Stoudamire hit the rock bottom, and he's been straight since. I gained a whole new respect for him. I don't know if Rashweed has(his nickname in Rip City).

He was always a talented player, pretty crafty, but I don't know if I call him a student of the game. We'll see if he ever makes the head coaching gig.

If he stays healthy, the Cavs will have a dangerous lineup next year

Gerald Wallace concur. He is rolling on the floor, acting like it hurt. It was only a collapsed lung.

Looks like John was right; Bynum will sign a 2-year deal with the Cavs & receive $6 million in his first year.

Apparently still on the market are Nate Robinson, Mo Williams, Andrei Kirilenko, Brandon Jennings, & of course, Monta Ellis. Really shocked that Nate has not been made an offer with the Bulls since he helped fill the role of Rose & made significant contributions to the team (nearly breaking Micheal's 4th Qtr points record).

Dallas needs to go after one of the 2 Bucks, though. There's talks of rebuilding in the future, & either Monta or Brandon could help speed that up at their age. However, does hurt the need to groom our 2 new players from the draft into their roles to carry the team once Dirk, Carter, & Marion have left.

Mavs has been quiet. Jennings or Ellis could help them, but I don't know by how much. I guess best case scenario, Dallas could get hot at the right time, but considering the level of competition they'll face, I can't see them threatening the elites like the Heat & Thunder. If Rockets click, they could be scary good, too. It'll be a interesting season.

P.S. Bargnani was supposedly traded to the Knicks for Camby & Novac. Camby is requesting to be traded or released.

As much as it may not be what we need, I think the Mavs should try to load up with some shooters. Both the Bucks can fill that role with Calderon & Harris. I mean, we need a big defensive presence, but seeing as we probably will be going another season without one, what other plan can we set out with? At least a team full of shooters & spreading the floor could offer something. :indiff:

Edit* Apparently, we signed a 25-year old SG named Wayne Ellington yesterday for $5 million/2 years as a starter. Averaged 10 points/3 rebound in 38 games with the Cavs last year. Thankfully, Brandon Wright still wants to play for us, so if we sign him to a multi-year deal, hopefully we can develop him as a more aggressive, defense player in the paint.

Last edited:
At least they still have a great coach, but it's getting tougher & tougher to build a contending team around Dirk. Mavs front office failed to do so last year, and again this off-season. Personally, if I were Mavs GM(I'd trade Dirk but that's for another day :D), I wouldn't sign any big money FA like Jennings or Ellis this year. Go conservative, look at the draft & FA situation next year. I feel that Dirks window of winning championship with the Mavs has closed. Yeah, I would trade Dirk. Dirk make another run contending(w/another team), Dallas pick up some really nice rebuilding pieces, everybody except Miami'll be happy. :P

Mavs has been quiet. Jennings or Ellis could help them, but I don't know by how much. I guess best case scenario, Dallas could get hot at the right time, but considering the level of competition they'll face, I can't see them threatening the elites like the Heat & Thunder. If Rockets click, they could be scary good, too. It'll be a interesting season.

P.S. Bargnani was supposedly traded to the Knicks for Camby & Novac. Camby is requesting to be traded or released.

Houston should do a sign and trade with Jennings and Jeremy Lin.

The Bargnani trade is kind of a couple weeks old now, it looks like Novak is set to suit up for us, I just hope they can trade Camby rather than buy him out and still have his salary count against the cap for the next 2 years on a team that is stricken for cash right now.

Back