Need a New Car.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danster
  • 100 comments
  • 3,473 views
USA: Big

Big Country, Big Cars, Big Trains, Big Cities, Big Buildings, Big Airports, Big Houses, Big People, Big Burgers

Maybe i'm stereotyping, but the colt is a good car, Plus, it's greener than some V8 I'd pick up stateside

Green? Unless you can't afford it who cares about green?
 
And now it is :sly: The way I see it, most grandmas will buy electric cars and save the environment on car's behalf. Of course, cars account for something like 10% of all greenhouse gases right? Woop dee doo Basil.
 
And now it is :sly: The way I see it, most grandmas will buy electric cars and save the environment on car's behalf. Of course, cars account for something like 10% of all greenhouse gases right? Woop dee doo Basil.

Not to mention we can be pretty ungreen and it won't drastically effect us in our lifetimes.
 
Not to mention we can be pretty ungreen and it won't drastically effect us in our lifetimes.

Agreed, I don't intend on having children :lol: That's if I even manage to get married :dunce:
 
Wait wait wait wait...

A Colt Cabrio when you can get one of these?

1510774362.jpg


Or one of these...

189771039122.jpg


----

You Europeans are silly sometimes...
 
That Colt cabrio looks weird...as if someone just lopped off the roof of a tall wagon.
 
Agreed, I don't intend on having children :lol: That's if I even manage to get married :dunce:

Well then. You, sir, should have a 600hp Ute runnin' low 7's and lapping the Nurb in 5'30.

And getting, oh, 10 miles to the gallon...highway...running alcohol

+1 YSSMAN for the Focus convertible. Ford needs to bring that here!
 
Well then. You, sir, should have a 600hp Ute runnin' low 7's and lapping the Nurb in 5'30.

And getting, oh, 10 miles to the gallon...highway

+1 YSSMAN for the Focus convertible. Ford needs to bring that here!

Oh pardon me :sly: I'm being as scarlet as I can on my budget. ;)

Don't forget the Astra Twin Top

HoldenAstraTwinTopFront.jpg
 
A Colt Cabrio when you can get one of these?

1510774362.jpg


Or one of these...

189771039122.jpg


----

You Europeans are silly sometimes...
I think the larger problem is that he was talking about getting a big manly Camaro, only to settle for a Mitsubishi Colt. I'm not sure if such a notion is as absurd in Europe as it would be if one went from Camaro to Colt in America, but I don't doubt the possibility.

And the Astra VXR is total crap.
 
They sold the Camaro through Chevrolet dealers in the late '90s and early '00s, so I'm sure that they're around. Thing is, like others have noted, it would likely be too expensive. Its not like the parts are easy to find there, you could probably walk down the street here and get enough bits and pieces to glue a 350 back together...

Seriously though:

There are a lot of cars out there that would be INFINITELY cooler than a Mistubishi Colt, CC top or not. The Citroen C4 Coupe comes to mind, a Renaultsport anything, MINI Cooper, etc.

Trust me when I say this; We do not have it "good" in the United States whatsoever.
 
Well then. You, sir, should have a 600hp Ute runnin' low 7's and lapping the Nurb in 5'30.

No way in hell is a Ute... wait infact any car runnin low 7's with 600hp. It's just impossible, you will need more then double that to think about doing anything in the seven second range. And if you seriously think you can use a 7 second car as a daily... tsk tsk... :ouch:
 
Its not like the parts are easy to find there
W124 parts are expensive too, but W124 owners don't care for the same reason he wouldn't care if he got a Camaro. I still wouldn't get one if I lived in Europe, but what have you.
 
No way in hell is a Ute... wait infact any car runnin low 7's with 600hp. It's just impossible, you will need more then double that to think about doing anything in the seven second range. And if you seriously think you can use a 7 second car as a daily... tsk tsk... :ouch:

It was just a joke, you know, having a laugh. We both know it's not possible like that, just playin' around.
 
W124 parts are expensive too, but W124 owners don't care for the same reason he wouldn't care if he got a Camaro. I still wouldn't get one if I lived in Europe, but what have you.

I was just referring to the fact that by comparison, you could literally stumble upon these parts at your local NAPA or Auto Zone. Its not like they can do the same across the pond. Maybe on a Rover, but not on a Camaro...
 
On Commodores you can just head down to the local wreckers or any auto store in Australia. It seems we have the best opportunities in the world for a good first car.
 
Really though, The colt comes standard for £10,000/$20,000 with satnav, cd player, sports seats, and rain-sensing windscreen wipers.
 
And?

You're welcome to spend your money as you wish, however, the Colt CC looks absolutely ridiculous. Seems a bit chavy in some respects, no matter how much of a "good deal" it is. I'd much rather do the Focus CC or an Astra CC, at the very least they look somewhat decent by comparison.

So don't be surprised if we make fun of you. Just a little.

====

Thought:

Why the hell would stat nav be anywhere close to important? I thought they were absolutely "broken" in the UK and rarely work? Clarkson rambles about it all the time...

At the very least (as I recall) he liked the Focus CC quite a bit.
 
sports seats

Which would be much better placed in a sports car, rather than nailed to a roofless Smart ForFour. Seriously, it's like putting a spoiler and canards on a chocolate fudge brownie. Rain-sensing wipers, CD player and satnav come as standard on a Starbucks skinny latte these days, so that's not exactly a plus point either.


What's wrong with an MX-5, and why is someone in Scotland calling it a Miata? £9k will get you a very pleasant Mk2.5 (though smart money would buy a pre-03/2001 Mk2, to avoid the severe rogering from the VED band reclassification next April.
 
No way in hell is a Ute... wait infact any car runnin low 7's with 600hp. It's just impossible, you will need more then double that to think about doing anything in the seven second range. And if you seriously think you can use a 7 second car as a daily... tsk tsk... :ouch:
I'm sure there would be a way to run 7's with that amount of horsepower. Gut EVERYTHING, supershort gear ratios and some magic.

Honestly, it was a joke, chill man. Ute's cant touch the Top Alcohol dragsters here.
Really though, The colt comes standard for £10,000/$20,000 with satnav, cd player, sports seats, and rain-sensing windscreen wipers.

You're paying 20 grand for bucket seats, a cd player and a nav system? You're getting ripped off!
 
I'm sure there would be a way to run 7's with that amount of horsepower. Gut EVERYTHING, supershort gear ratios and some magic.

Honestly, it was a joke, chill man. Ute's cant touch the Top Alcohol dragsters here.

You'd probably need at least 1500hp to run 7s I'd imagine. Utes have light rear ends which isn't good for traction in drag racing. Although.......
1004988.jpg


:D

You're paying 20 grand for bucket seats, a cd player and a nav system? You're getting ripped off!

:lol: My CD player cost $200AUD, sat nav I do not need, no way in hell is someone telling me how to drive my Ute ;) And bucket seats, well, they're expensive, but they're not worth $19 800. Just about anything can be had with all those features these days.
 
I'm calling the MX-5 a Miata for all you Americans out there that find it hard to figure out car names.

And as for clarkson, well, he'd swap his grandmother for a cup of tea with cliff richard. Since my fiancee can't drive, i would like to teach her in a smallish car, so the colt it is.
 
I'm calling the MX-5 a Miata for all you Americans out there that find it hard to figure out car names.

And as for clarkson, well, he'd swap his grandmother for a cup of tea with cliff richard. Since my fiancee can't drive, i would like to teach her in a smallish car, so the colt it is.

MX-5, Miata, Eunos Roadster even, some Americans know it means that little RWD drop top by Mazda.

Wouldn't it make more sense to teach her in something like a Ford F-250 and then let her downsize so it gets easier?
 
I'm calling the MX-5 a Miata for all you Americans out there that find it hard to figure out car names.

What, because none of them have ever heard of the best-selling roadster of all time? How about crediting them with some intelligence, maybe, if you're asking them for help choosing a car?

I note you didn't call it a Roadster/Eunos Roadster, for all of the Japanese out there that find it hard to figure out car names...


Since my fiancee can't drive, i would like to teach her in a smallish car, so the colt it is.

So it meets the remit on a condition you didn't mention previously.

Though it misses the mark for "quite fun" (it's a Smart ForFour) and "upmarket of a Miata" (it's a Smart ForFour with a Mitsubishi badge and 50% depreciation in the first 2 years)...
 
Trust me when I say this; We do not have it "good" in the United States whatsoever.
Oh, I don't know.. your new car prices are quite appealing. :P

On the topic of Colt, yes, you can do better than a cabrio.
If you must have a Colt, at least get the Ralliart version (..is it available in the UK? Hmm). It actually is decent fun to drive, and that little turbo MiVEC motor has a surprising amount of punch.
car_photo_26280_7.jpg
 
Buy a '99 or older Eclipse or one with the newest body style

1999 Eclipse:
99eclipse.jpg

2006 Eclipse:
AkinaGhost378.jpg


These are both top of the line Eclipses, but the only cosmetic differences between the 4cyl variants and the above(which are 6cyl) would be the wheels. The 4s bring home about 25-30 mpg too
 
Aaaaand he'd have to import those...

If you DO look at an Eclipse...from across the pond...Know this: 2nd Gens had Crank walk problems, and are the most popular cars to rice up, now that the supply of Honda Civics has been weeded out. '08s are not bad inside, but dynamically, they're approximately...oh, think Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 with the soulful sound traded for reliability. They plough. (and I spelled that especially for you. XP.)

And, so long as you're looking at importing a US market Japanese car, Take a look at the Honda Civic Si Coupe. It doesn't look like a metallic hamster, and because it has independent rear suspension it's actually better dynamically than a Honda Civic Type R*. It also has the exact same amount of horsepower, and despite being slightly heavier...it might be faster.

*European version. Lord knows the Japanese only keep the best versions to themselves. Like always.
 
Aaaaand he'd have to import those...

If you DO look at an Eclipse...from across the pond...Know this: 2nd Gens had Crank walk problems, and are the most popular cars to rice up, now that the supply of Honda Civics has been weeded out. '08s are not bad inside, but dynamically, they're approximately...oh, think Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 with the soulful sound traded for reliability. They plough. (and I spelled that especially for you. XP.)

And, so long as you're looking at importing a US market Japanese car, Take a look at the Honda Civic Si Coupe. It doesn't look like a metallic hamster, and because it has independent rear suspension it's actually better dynamically than a Honda Civic Type R.

European version.
Aaaaand I've learned something new today. Why must europe suck so bad for their normal cars?
 
Aaaaand I've learned something new today. Why must europe suck so bad for their normal cars?

The Eclipse would never have sold in Europe anyway - it's a pup. The sheer number of two door FWD coupes we get which are more reliable, faster, get better fuel economy, prettier and any combination thereof would have swamped it.
 
Back