Need For Speed (2015)

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 7,699 comments
Sooo...I finally finished this game. Truthfully it was the most painful racing game I ever played. Broken physics, rubberband AI, stupid traffic and cops and map glitches all combine to make every race an excruciatingly un-fun experience. Not to mention always online and S.L.O.W. loading times. Christ.

The only good parts about this game are: graphics, livery editor (seen some very nice designs by the community) and city design. Everything else, I'd rather play NFSUG1/2 (in fact I just did the other night and still managed to put a huge smile in my face :D).

Matter of fact, I "finished" this game, but did not manage to complete all events. In the last prestige event (On The Dream Team), the map ALWAYS fails to load at a specific point 3/4 into the race. Similar to this:

Now in the non-prestige version of the event I just stop before this section and wait for the map to load. However, the tight time limit for the prestige means I always go over the bronze time if I stop, even if I ended up beating the AI by miles at the end. This is truly some PS1 era B-game levels of incompetence by the devs. And it's not my hardware's fault either since I'm comfortably above the minimum recommended requirements AND I have turned off every graphics setting to Low.

Anyway, I'm happy to leave it at that. I might boot up the game to tune cars here and there but no more racing for me. Glad I only paid $15 for this beta software :lol:

Sooo...I finally finished this game. Truthfully it was the most painful racing game I ever played. Broken physics, rubberband AI, stupid traffic and cops and map glitches all combine to make every race an excruciatingly un-fun experience. Not to mention always online and S.L.O.W. loading times. Christ.

The only good parts about this game are: graphics, livery editor (seen some very nice designs by the community) and city design. Everything else, I'd rather play NFSUG1/2 (in fact I just did the other night and still managed to put a huge smile in my face :D).

Matter of fact, I "finished" this game, but did not manage to complete all events. In the last prestige event (On The Dream Team), the map ALWAYS fails to load at a specific point 3/4 into the race. Similar to this:

Now in the non-prestige version of the event I just stop before this section and wait for the map to load. However, the tight time limit for the prestige means I always go over the bronze time if I stop, even if I ended up beating the AI by miles at the end. This is truly some PS1 era B-game levels of incompetence by the devs. And it's not my hardware's fault either since I'm comfortably above the minimum recommended requirements AND I have turned off every graphics setting to Low.

Anyway, I'm happy to leave it at that. I might boot up the game to tune cars here and there but no more racing for me. Glad I only paid $15 for this beta software :lol:

Hmm, I'm on the free trial and I thought it was just okay. It's a real pain driving from one end of the map to the other in a slow car. I also think the game's volume is really low. And the load times.. good God! I don't think I'll be purchasing this.

Hmm, I'm on the free trial and I thought it was just okay. It's a real pain driving from one end of the map to the other in a slow car. I also think the game's volume is really low. And the load times.. good God! I don't think I'll be purchasing this.

The physics anomalies get worse and worse with faster cars. If you've only driven the starting BRZ you could be forgiven for thinking the handling is okay-ish. And you can teleport to an event directly, but the loading screen isn't any better (still faster than manually driving to one end from the other though).

Low music volume is a known issue. For some reason the engine sounds are compressed, but music is uncompressed (so you need a hi-fi speaker system to hear the full volume). Just one of those retarded EA things.

If it's on sale for <$10 and you're curious for a time waster, I'd say give it a go. But if you're looking for a quality racer then finding an .exe of NFSUG will be even better I tell you :lol:

The physics anomalies get worse and worse with faster cars. If you've only driven the starting BRZ you could be forgiven for thinking the handling is okay-ish. And you can teleport to an event directly, but the loading screen isn't any better (still faster than manually driving to one end from the other though).

Low music volume is a known issue. For some reason the engine sounds are compressed, but music is uncompressed (so you need a hi-fi speaker system to hear the full volume). Just one of those retarded EA things.

If it's on sale for <$10 and you're curious for a time waster, I'd say give it a go. But if you're looking for a quality racer then finding an .exe of NFSUG will be even better I tell you :lol:

Yeah, I was trying to get into the driving, trying to find that Forza connection so to speak (:lol:) but a few things seemed off with the BRZ. But they were certainly nowhere as arcadey as I was expecting; unfortunately, you pointed out it goes downhill with faster cars and I'm glad you did otherwise I would have wasted a lot of time playing the game just to unlock the faster cars.

I did notice that about the music... it's clear and loud, feels good to listen to it while driving but as you said, car sounds are compressed. The overall tone of the engine is quite convincing and life-like, but still doesn't come out clearly, you know? Lacks "oomph". A car racing game is one of the best ways to showcase a sound system, I mean it should literally bring your system to life, especially with the midrange, bass and high frequency sounds, but that isn't the case with NFS.

Thanks for you input Legend, I'm sticking to the other goldies in my collection for now: FM, Horizon, CARS, DR etc. :D

Just don't do the Prestige events. Screw those events. Except Speed with a fully tuned Carerra 2.8.

Though it's been a while, I have played the game to completion and I actually enjoyed this game, but I will admit, it does have it's issues.

I thought the car list was pretty good and the customizations were hit or miss depending on the car in my opinion. The vinyl editor was one of the best I have ever used and I liked it so much, I didn't really mind the lack of body mods since the vinyl editor was so good. (Paint and vinyls has always been my favorite part) The cops are weak, but truthfully I don't really mind this since I hate the cops anyways, i'd rather them be weak than overpowered. I thought the game was rolling out some great updates for a while and I just wish they had continued.

I can understand the complaints about the physics, I wasn't crazy about them either, but the thing that got to me the most was the collision detection. To put it in general, it's just too easy to crash in this game and sometimes all it takes is a simple wall tap to be counted as a crash. It's not too bad in the beginning, but once you get a faster car, it becomes much more noticeable and the crash cam only makes it even more annoying. I often forgot the game was always online unless I had to pause it or if it had an update, that's about the only time it really bothered me and I wish it wasn't like that.

I enjoyed the game right much until the very end. Once I beat it, I couldn't really find anything else I wanted to do. Though I do imagine I will eventually play it again someday, there just isn't much left of the game once you beat it. I could say a lot more, but in short, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but it wasn't a total disappointment either. I thought it was good, but it could have been better.

Last edited:
Just don't do the Prestige events. Screw those events. Except Speed with a fully tuned Carerra 2.8.

I completed all the normal events with my starting BRZ no problem, but then halfway through the Speed Prestige events I realised the target times are complete bull****. So i splurged on the Beck's Customs for racing events, and used the Huracan with special settings (youtube Beatminaz and you'll find it) for all drift/crew events. With those 2 cars I breezed most events on bronze on first or second try. I only needed the Carrera for Japhet's Full Flick because it's full of tight corners and the Beck's doesn't do well at low speeds handling wise.

I would've won the final event quite easily as well if it weren't for the map failing to load everytime. But meh, not worth my time and grey hairs.

You know, one thing I forgot about was the dawn setting in this game. I really did not like that setting because it was in my opinion too bright for a game that focuses on night racing and seeing the sun peaking over the horizon doesn't help. I just didn't think it belonged in the game and I would have preferred it if they had never used it.

I don't know how I forgot about the garage limit, but it didn't get to me too much I guess because I was used to past NFS games having similar issues. However I do wish it had been bigger because I probably would have had more fun if I could fit more cars in my garage. While they did do something about it later on, it could have been better.

As far as the story goes, I was glad it even had a story at all because they usually give me some motivation to play through the game and I actually got some enjoyment out of it in this game. Not much else I can say here really.

Last edited:
I dunno about you guys but I loved the story for how cheeky it was and how exaggerated it was. Personally I thought it fit the theme the game was going for quite well.

As mentioned, the dawn setting seemed out of place but moreso because certain places had certain times of day and I thought that was really wack. There's a particular spot entering the western most city where you can look back and see the time of day change dramatically from night to dawn.

Everything about it is absolutely terrible... yet, just like a train wreck, I can't watch away. :lol:

Although I have to say, for 8,25$ CAD or what, around 6,99$ USD, you get every DLC so even if it's a terrible game it's still not a bad deal. If anything just for the visual car customization it's worth it.

Last edited:
Everything about it is absolutely terrible... yet, just like a train wreck, I can't watch away. :lol:

Although I have to say, for 8,25$ CAD or what, around 6,99$ USD, you get every DLC so even if it's a terrible game it's still not a bad deal. If anything just for the visual car customization it's worth it.
The only downside to that is actually having to race to be able to customize in the first place.

The only downside to that is actually having to race to be able to customize in the first place.

Yeah it's quite shocking to say the least. I mean, this is a two year old game that's been covered through and through so I don't really need to add to all that, but I still cannot believe someone at Ghost tried it and said, yeah, that handling model will do, let's get it on the shelves. I genuinely feel bad for the people that paid full price for this.

Yeah it's quite shocking to say the least. I mean, this is a two year old game that's been covered through and through so I don't really need to add to all that, but I still cannot believe someone at Ghost tried it and said, yeah, that handling model will do, let's get it on the shelves. I genuinely feel bad for the people that paid full price for this.

You don't have to. Not for me at least. I mean, yes, your complaints are valid, but I've still felt like I got my money's worth. The handling is not impossible, and I've had a blast customizing in the garage.

You don't have to. Not for me at least. I mean, yes, your complaints are valid, but I've still felt like I got my money's worth. The handling is not impossible, and I've had a blast customizing in the garage.

I guess it's the same as the handling criticisms levelled at SMS for all their games since NFS SHIFT. Sure, it isn't impossible...but it isn't right either. And it desperately needed to be fixed before it came out in a gold copy.

The handling is not impossible

It's not impossible, but it's not enjoyable either. The fact the cars handle like with the accuracy and predictability of a wobbly shopping carts certainly takes away a big part of the fun in this game. Which is a shame, because the map itself is quite interesting and is legitimately fun to cruise around when you're not racing.

I don't know. I was able to get the handling down. I never really had any problem.
Congratulations. How you'd want to take the time to do that is beyond me, though. It's the main part of any driving game, so it shouldn't be the reason people are being pushed away. If it is, than something is fundamentally wrong with what they're doing.

Congratulations. How you'd want to take the time to do that is beyond me, though. It's the main part of any driving game, so it shouldn't be the reason people are being pushed away. If it is, than something is fundamentally wrong with what they're doing.

I honestly just took the game for what it is. I knew it wasn't meant to have the best handling or anything like that. I looked at it like it was the NFS version of MCLA.

From that point, I had my cars act the same. I really only used the old school Porsche and the Corvette to do my races when the main story we're done. I was able to make it grip along with sliding out when needed too. It had a lot to do with the thickness of the tires and the rim size if I remember correctly.

I just enjoyed the game the best way I could.

I honestly just took the game for what it is. I knew it wasn't meant to have the best handling or anything like that. I looked at it like it was the NFS version of MCLA.
And I did as well, a game that wasn't very good. It had great aspects, but they absolutely botched the most important aspect of the game, which was the driving. No one was asking for the most realistic physics, they just wanted a game with a better driving model. Don't conflate the two. I looked at it like any other NFS game that I've actually played, something to break away from the reality of other games, and it still failed pretty horribly, when just comparing it to the past.

I just enjoyed the game the best way I could.
Me to, which basically was the sole aspect of customization and the photomode. Not much else.

And I did as well, a game that wasn't very good. It had great aspects, but they absolutely botched the most important aspect of the game, which was the driving. No one was asking for the most realistic physics, they just wanted a game with a better driving model. Don't conflate the two. I looked at it like any other NFS game that I've actually played, something to break away from the reality of other games, and it still failed pretty horribly, when just comparing it to the past.

Oh, I understand. I wasn't meaning sim handling or anything like that, but handling that was decent. It's one of those games that if you expect a certain thing from it, you'll probably be disappointed. I took the game for what it is/was at face value.

[/QUOTE]Me to, which basically was the sole aspect of customization and the photomode. Not much else.[/QUOTE]

I did more customization than photomode. I was really on there to improve my times are the hard difficulty races.

Me to, which basically was the sole aspect of customization and the photomode. Not much else.

Oh I'm not. I'm not saying like a simulation handling model, but one that was better than what they gave us. I just improved it to where I could deal. Didn't take me long either. I just took the game at face value for what it is.

I did alot of customization, not alot of photomode though. I was mainly trying to beat my times on the hard difficulty races.

Oh, I understand. I wasn't meaning sim handling or anything like that, but handling that was decent. It's one of those games that if you expect a certain thing from it, you'll probably be disappointed. I took the game for what it is/was at face value.
That's the thing though, why should we come to expect disappointment in the handling department when they've been more than capable of making a better one before? There's nothing wrong with the fact that it's an arcade game, the problem is that even for that, it's still bad. I took the game from what it was supposed to be, a game with racing and driving in it. It did horrible in that regard, and with the better models that where in past games, I expected it to at least match that. There's a difference between adapting, and not wanting to put the effort into something so bad. My case was the latter.

That's the thing though, why should we come to expect disappointment in the handling department when they've been more than capable of making a better one before? There's nothing wrong with the fact that it's an arcade game, the problem is that even for that, it's still bad. I took the game from what it was supposed to be, a game with racing and driving in it. It did horrible in that regard, and with the better models that where in past games, I expected it to at least match that. There's a difference between adapting, and not wanting to put the effort into something so bad. My case was the latter.

Point taken. Which game are you talking about with the better models?

I guess because I see NFS is getting developed by different companies, I don't expect the handling and models to grow and get better like it would with GT and Forza.

There's music?

So after lots of restarts, I managed to finish the final Prestige event. Turns out disabling Superfetch in Windows did the trick. The map still fails to load at a specific point, but it fixes itself much quicker than before. Also, I learned that you'll fall through the road, but not through the sidewalk, so I just crept forward slowly on the side of the road while waiting for the map to load. That extra few seconds/metres saved is enough to get me bronze by 5 secs. Phew! Done. Goodbye.

I don't even care about the customization anymore since grinding money is a complete pain (you can only drag race the same road so many times). And once you tune a few cars, you hit the garage limit and had to sell your creations. What's the point?

See you in Fortune Valley...maybe :P

Because I am a complete sado-masochist and obviously playing good games in my backlog like Nier Automata, hell even the original Fallout is out of the question, I bought the NFS double pack of Rivals and 2015 that was on sale for Xbox One in September.

I have been playing Rivals, and I don't mind it, but it's a very eh game. Very much a launch title.

2015 is staring at my face. My avatar may or may not be related to having to play through that game again.

I have essentially completed NFS 2015. I only have the two remaining categories, Crew and Style, plus the Eddie's Challenges bit, but for my sanity's sake, I'm going to consider this god forsaken game done, and move on the minute those are done. For the most part, my sentiments on this game echo what @LeGeNd-1 has written at the top of this thread, earlier in the year. However, I'm willing to go into detail, bullet point style, starting from the good.

- The car list in this game is quite good - for a NFS game. There's some interesting oddballs, again for the NFS series, like the Foxbody Mustang (And It's nice to have such a wide ranging tapestry for the Mustang, from the original '65 all the way to the modern 2015) and the Volvo 242. The small number certainly makes it that you grow quite a human connection with the vehicles.

- There is no bones about it - this game still looks good, nearly two years after release, and at least on consoles, doing it on inferior hardware. The dew on the vehicles, the great vistas that are present in the game, and the general sense of speed all work really well, and it's a shame that the game isn't going to be getting either a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X update. I still think one of the best things in modern NFS history was moving to the Frostbite engine, as it really works wonders from a graphical standpoint. Even with the frankly wonky time 'cycle'

- Generally, this game has a really good aesthetic going for it. The sort of washed out tone to everything still gives Ventura Bay a really nice look to it, and it really feels, especially in the downtown core areas, like you really are running through the city at past midnight, a feeling I really haven't gotten since the original Underground, honestly. Helps too when you got some low key electronica playing in the background to really sell the a e s t h e t i c look of it all.

- It's pretty obvious that Ghost obviously has a lot of reverence for the history of NFS, and it shows in all the references. The fairly blatant callback to Underground in Eddie's Challenges not withstanding, it's making something like a Noise Bomb labelled time attack missile, or even the licenses plates calling back to the previous games, it gives me a warm and fuzzy, nostalgic feeling. Something that pretty much ends the minute I get into game action.

Now, for the bad...and it is significant, because it is legion, and more often then not either runs directly beside another problem, or completely undermines what good is even there.

- The elephant in the room: the handling. It is terrible. There is no two ways about it. Grip builds are essentially useless, turning the cars into understeering pieces of ****. HOWEVER, I was able to game the system by essentially equipping grip tires and turning the handling characteristics slider towards the drift zone, giving me a whole lot of grip and the ability to drift on command without having to essentially saw at the left analog stick and get the crab walking which is oh so famous with this game. It actually gave me one of my favorite cars in any recent arcade racer: a nearly 900 HP Corvette Z06 built for war, grippy as all hell (at least for this game) and able to lay waste to anybody that went up against me. But Ghost absolutely deserved to be raked over the coals for this frankly terrible handling model. It doesn't feel arcadey with a slice of realism that was present within the earlier NFS games going up to Carbon, and doesn't feel completely arcadey like the Criterion NFS games or even Rivals before it. It's a weird ground where nothing feels right except the set up I managed to build, and even then, compared to other games, it is utter crap.

- Contrary to other people's complaints about the rubber banding AI, I didn't have many problems with it. But it was for good reason that was pretty much baked in: I managed to get the double pack that also came with Rivals, and came with all the DLC's for both. As a result, starting this game gave me a whole metric butt ton of parts that allowed me to make a 550+ HP Civic Type R that made the early races an absolute laugh fest at how easily I was able to clown the opposition. Combined with saving money because of said overpowered Civic, it made the late races even easier when I built said 900 HP Corvette.

- The weirdest thing, even through the lack of a manual gearbox and the ****** handling, was the lack of any ability to actually TUNE YOUR VEHICLES. Going back to the above point, said Civic Type-R was also hilariously short geared, topping out at around 155 MPH. I saw no ability to tune gear ratios, which, would have been nice to have as well as, you know, somewhat of an essential feature going back to Underground 2.

- The story is bad. Again, no two ways about it. Look Ghost, CGI cutscenes aren't cool anymore. They're the domain of Sega CD games and 90's PC strategy games with Tim Curry playing a Soviet. As interesting as it is to see my car basically green screened into the scene, that isn't enough to get me to watch a bunch of young douchebags gush about dumb street racing crap and hawk Monster Energy products. Which would be essentially every cutscene. Special mention however, goes for Amy and pretty much any Build cutscene. By god. I kept on thinking 'this is what would happen if somebody with no brain tried to replicate a Persona social link/confidant from beginning to end'. The amount of knob slobbering over Nakai-san and RWB (The cars are overrated as hell, people!) was nauseating, and it gave me great pleasure (more then I think it or this game deserves) to basically have Nakai-san come in and speak only in Japanese, meaning nobody had the faintest ****ing clue what he said.

- Special mention to the police chases for being the biggest goddamn wastes of time ever. Knowing that the cops were pretty much brain dead from my first kick of the can on PS4, I settled on doing Outlaw first. A big mistake. For one, said cops are brain dead, and more often then not, your car is significantly faster then even their interceptor Chargers. You'd be often accidentally trying to get a police chase going and blow by the cops, ending the pursuit in like 20 seconds. But the true sin for this game is the fact that there's absolutely no easy way to figure out how the hell to get more cops onto you, or even how to get increased Heat levels. Remember in Undercover how everybody complained that the Heat levels were wonky as ****, and more often then not, you were confused switching from a normal pursuit to the Cost to State, Cars Disabled challenges, etc? Here, you didn't know what was going on, full stop. Because you didn't know how the hell to get pursuits to higher heat levels (I think I figured it out that it may have something to do with the fines you accrued, but even then I'm not sure) you're pretty much confined to keeping your distance from the cops, close enough so that they don't lose you, and not far enough that you go into Cooldown. It's essentially in video game form, and it is infuriating, and makes said cop chases, what was once one of the most touted aspects of NFS 2015 into the biggest jokes ever. Look Ghost, what is so hard about transplanting the pursuit system from the Black Box games, and putting them into your games? By this point, I really don't give a damn about realism. All I want is to have fun, and that left your game a long time ago.

- Aside from the fact that there's a lot of stock stickers to choose from, the livery editor in this game is crap. Being used to Forza's, which may not have a lot but can make some amazingly close replicas, NFS 2015 feels like a cheap ripoff that isn't very good, with the only real benefits to the system being the fact that you can place stuff on glass.

- The post launch DLC stuff is a joke too. Drag racing is useless, the Forza Horizon style open challenges are pointless, and the collectables are just pointless and dumb. Much like a majority of this game.

As much as I've gotten down on this game in this long, rambling post, I want to say that there are *some* things good in this game. I am a firm believer in the idea that there is usually one good thing in a video game, and as a result, there are very few games that I would consider truly, awfully bad. (Might also because I read reviews and generally avoid said bad games)

NFS 2015, however, is definitely very close to being one of the most infuriating games I've ever played. The real problem lies in that it is a Jekyll and Hyde game: what precious little this game does right, it is pretty much sabotaged by an opposite design feature, more often then not on purpose. It's pretty much the sado-masochist's racing game of choice: the game hates you, and wants to see any sort of fun you've had snuffed out brutally, and painfully.

Ghost had better hope that Payback is a good title. Because I have a strong suspicion that if it isn't, or is another lukewarm title at best like Rivals, EA is going to pull the plug. And I don't think many people are going to be decrying EA for killing yet another studio like they did Criterion or Black Box. Ghost simply seem unable to even get the bare minimum of what makes an NFS game, and more importantly, what makes an NFS game FUN. Even Criterion, for as much as I hate what they did to the NFS series turning it into a thinly veiled Burnout clone, had at least some inkling of an idea of what to do in a NFS game. Ghost hasn't got a single ****ing clue.

Back