Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
And if they'll fail for the third time in row, what would they say?

Probably Ghost get shut down and the IP being moved to another studio, the good old EA method.

I hope the change the physics otherwise its a no buy for me

Quite sure that is not happening based on a respond thread in Reddit a year ago by Ghost car team regarding grip vs drift, Ghost wants the B2D physics because

Some of Ghost car team
a more realistic and grippy car will be closer to the edge making it easier to make something that will perceived as broken and not fun which could be interesting for players with a deep understanding of car physics but perhaps not for the vast majority of players

Source (how do you paste a link only?) :

I think rivals was where the series forgot that having fun is indeed fun. The latter 3 have felt like a whole bunch of unfun, albeit new mechanics were shoved in and no-one actually play tested them and went "okay yeah this functions correctly but it isnt fun".

I think the worst thing that happened to NFS-Series is fragmentation of the community. Ghost can't do something fresh because many of fans will scream for Underground reboot or Hot Pursuit reboot. I am personally in old Exotics only camp but I understand that Ghost need to have creativity freedom to make decent NFS title. Otherwise it will be forced community service one way or another.

To be honest. They should make something similar to Forza Horizon but with more Police/Illegal racing vibe. There is no Police chasing game on the market other than NFS. So yes. Give us full list of cars, customization, nice driving model and decent map add free roam Police here and there and it will be fine.

I don't get why they took the franchise from EA Canada, and I don't get why later they shut down Black Box.

Both studios did a terrific job with the franchise. But I guess the mind of such a huge company is totally disconnected from the mind of the user regarding what's best.
Black Box, while they shouldnt have been shut down, I think NFS being taken away from them was deserved because they put out four duds in a row.

I just want another Test Drive Unlimited; I thought that's what The Crew would be like, the map is nice, but the physics just kill it for me. Wouldn't mind another Pro Street and/or Shift styled NFS either.

I just want another Test Drive Unlimited; I thought that's what The Crew would be like, the map is nice, but the physics just kill it for me. Wouldn't mind another Pro Street and/or Shift styled NFS either.

There is third one going but since it is from BigBen studios I don't expect anything better than Mediocre game.

A NFS game like Rivals on its same open world map on Driveclub engine/physics 1.0 and without NFS chase gear (just old HP2 catch system) = wet dream since I played Driveclub for the first time.

However, NFS developers can't make good handling anymore since Carbon. That's why I'm not expecting any surprise

I'm actually pretty excited for this one.

But please don't be such overexaggerated like Hot Pursuit '10 was pls. Targeting a car with a rocket? :boggled: Or whatever it was, really, only played it once

Oh, and cockpit view, please. Payback already had some decent intreriors from outside view.

Using a peak on lateral tire curves is fine and easy when doing a full-on simulation game. The reason it is not feasible to do in an arcade racer is that most players will play the game with a gamepad. It would not be uncommon for them to use the steering input in a digital manner.

This means that it is very hard for a regular player to hit a specific slip angle on the front wheels through regulating the steering. This is especially true since the slip angle will change when the rotational velocity and forward velocity of the vehicle changes due to the dynamics of the vehicle while taking a corner.

When playing simulation racing games with a Force Feedback enabled steering wheel, this is actually possible to regulate for a decent / good player by the centering torque being applied through the FFB used to simulate the Aligning torque and mechanical trail effect coming from the contact patch interaction with the ground.

The forces created by the tire slip angle with regards to normal tire curves (peak ~10 degrees and steadily dropping to ~60-70 % at 90 degrees slip, not “ZERO”) are in the tires coordinate system.

When translating this to the vehicles you’ll get a drop in lateral force due to the force being multiplied by the cosines of the steering angle. While the force multiplied with the sinus of the steering angle being translated into tire drag (The “Slowing down while turning” effect).

...Being passionate about cars, racing and games, the idea of modding and looking under the hood of the game are intriguing to the people working here also. But do keep in mind that anything you do can cause problems with the game, just putting 1 value wrong can cause a chain reaction leading to a game crash under certain driving conditions and a “wrong” value is based on the rest of the parameters of the car, I.E. copy-pasting values from one car to another is not always an option.

this sounds very intelligent but if you read into it it's just excuses.

Forza and Gran Turismo which are considered semi simulators handle amazingly on controllers. why?

is this a way of EA/Ghost saying they aren't even trying to make the handling model a little bit better? do they not have time for it?
do they not have people for it?

No not all players on forza/GT play with wheel or force feedback enabled
''This means that it is very hard for a regular player to hit a specific slip angle on the front wheels through regulating the steering.'' - Learning curve. every game has one but by using something people are familiar with for example from other titles (I presume that is where you want to grab new players from) the higher chance of them staying because NFS does have something unique.

the last point is again just excuses for their lack of development time. I'd say take your bloody time and make sure all values are (maybe unique but) correct rather than copy paste stuff just to push half finished game out. Developers do really seam to be getting lazy from these kind of statements.
unless people that run PR just picture developers as the bad guys. (we all know they aren't lazy and there are people that genuinely care about these games in development teams)

I was getting hyped about it until I stumbled upon this thread and i seriously lost all hope for these series. Although I have to give it to NFS for creating some iconic cars.

Come on Need For Speed we want you to do Better!!!

this sounds very intelligent but if you read into it it's just excuses.

Forza and Gran Turismo which are considered semi simulators handle amazingly on controllers. why?

is this a way of EA/Ghost saying they aren't even trying to make the handling model a little bit better? do they not have time for it?
do they not have people for it?

No not all players on forza/GT play with wheel or force feedback enabled
''snip''

the last point is again just excuses for their lack of development time. I'd say take your bloody time and make sure all values are (maybe unique but) correct rather than copy paste stuff just to push half finished game out. Developers do really seam to be getting lazy from these kind of statements.
unless people that run PR just picture developers as the bad guys. (we all know they aren't lazy and there are people that genuinely care about these games in development teams)

I was getting hyped about it until I stumbled upon this thread and i seriously lost all hope for these series. Although I have to give it to NFS for creating some iconic cars.

Come on Need For Speed we want you to do Better!!!

I say it is mostly lack of development time due to a small team compared to what Black Box had back then, considering the amount of cut events in Payback and chunk of the map is just empty desert with nothing in it.

They can't really take as much time they want, EA wants a game every 2 years. The best scenario for 2019 is a further improvement in the B2D (more consistency), proper cop chase gameplay and just more content.

I say it is mostly lack of development time due to a small team compared to what Black Box had back then, considering the amount of cut events in Payback and chunk of the map is just empty desert with nothing in it.

They can't really take as much time they want, EA wants a game every 2 years. The best scenario for 2019 is a further improvement in the B2D (more consistency), proper cop chase gameplay and just more content.

Completely agree. although for me more content isn't worth anything if it's not working.

Completely agree. although for me more content isn't worth anything if it's not working.

I'm thinking of content like more cars, more bumpers/body kits, rims and decal selection. Those has been working since the last 2 games and I dont think more bumper option for example the R32 could break anything or too much to ask from Ghost.

I don't have any faith in this NFS being a huge improvement in content and features.

Eh, those talks about physics and hard to make them are horrible and funny.

If only they could steal all GT modern style physics, add old school car showcase features like story and in deep look, customization affecting performance, serious cop cars with decent damage system for both, and may be at least 20 Nürburgring like imaginary tracks from around the world. Need for Speed ready.

Probably Ghost get shut down and the IP being moved to another studio, the good old EA method.

Quite sure that is not happening based on a respond thread in Reddit a year ago by Ghost car team regarding grip vs drift, Ghost wants the B2D physics because

Nfs franchise use to be one of the best racing game franchises that not the case anymore the 4-5 last games has been one of worst racing games i ever played. It could just end up being canceled for what i care. Maybe they are not good enough to keep up with the big boys t10 and pd anymore for todays standard, who knows. But the games has pretty Much become worse with each game. I know its an arcade game. But they should do a lot better with the handling model. I play with a controller most of My time. And nfs its just not good enough its most likely the worst racing game to play with a controller

Last edited:
Nfs franchise use to be one of the best racing game franchises that not the case anymore the 4-5 last games has been one of worst racing games i ever played. It could just end up being canceled for what i care. Maybe they are not good enough to keep up with the big boys t10 and pd anymore for todays standard, who knows. But the games has pretty Much become worse with each game

I maintain that NFS has been on a downward spiral since HP2010

MXH
Countdown to disappointment.

Prove me wrong, GHOST & EA.

To be honest, I have the same attitude towards new NFS.

At least it's not Forza Horizon... *ducks for cover*

I think you are right. Horizon is a great game, but I am tired of poor copies of this game... (looking at you The Crew 2...) what I want is more diversity in arcade racing games genre

Nfs franchise use to be one of the best racing game franchises that not the case anymore the 4-5 last games has been one of worst racing games i ever played. It could just end up being canceled for what i care. Maybe they are not good enough to keep up with the big boys t10 and pd anymore for todays standard, who knows. But the games has pretty Much become worse with each game. I know its an arcade game. But they should do a lot better with the handling model. I play with a controller most of My time. And nfs its just not good enough its most likely the worst racing game to play with a controller

I think it did okay as a arcade racer, just nothing amazing other than the visual customization options. The B2D physics was improved a lot in NFS PB but I most ppl just don't want this kind of physics.

Also, NFS looks to be build on a much smaller budget than what MS poured into PG for FH series, I kinda wish Ghost just make a smaller game but a very good one. Payback felt like they are trying to copy bits and pieces of FH, I don't mind if it is like a remake of Underground 1 without the open world but fun tracks to race with and lots more customisation option.

also another problem is. the GTPlanet is mainly occupied by petrolheads. the arcade Games are played by people that go crazy when they see fast and furious looking cars and OMG nissan GTR but don't know what's the difference between understeer and oversteer. I think GTplanet doesn't represent the majority of the player base of NFS therefore i assume anything we talk about is not gonna be even seen by Developers :/

Also, NFS looks to be build on a much smaller budget than what MS poured into PG for FH series, I kinda wish Ghost just make a smaller game but a very good one. Payback felt like they are trying to copy bits and pieces of FH, I don't mind if it is like a remake of Underground 1 without the open world but fun tracks to race with and lots more customisation option.

Too bad that EA despite smaller budget tries to sell this as full extreme high budget games... If it has smaller budget it should be cheaper. And yet it has the same price on store shelves as Forza Horizon 4 (in Poland Payback was actually more expensive on launch than FH4... ).

Only upside is thath NFS Games tend to drop price much quicker. But this is probably because of poor quality.

looking at you The Crew 2...
The theme is FH like but the whole home garage thing, huge map, and various vehicle types is more reminiscent/spiritual successor to the much older Test Drive Unlimited than Forza Horizon.

Whatever its better or worse is up to you. I kinda enjoy The Crew 2 myself.

Hope NFS doesn't follow too much on Forza Horizon and find its own identity instead, like the outlaw they usually did. Kinda laugh thinking the former, festival and stuff, ProStreet except its free roam.

I wouldn't mind seeing this being like FH
Open map and races and etc.
With something like HP 2012 where you can either choose cop or racer.
But instead of only max 20, it'll be like 9999 :lol:
customize cop cars? Sure why not?

Yep, one of the reasons DRIVECLUB clicked with me. It's pretty much old-school NFS but in "legal".
I don't mind the tuning stuff (uexcept nitro), but I'm tired of open worlds and Burnout-esque drifting and crashing.

DC is probably the closest thing ever made to those NFS games. The music, the gameplay, the car list, the tracks, car culture insights, menu design...

Black Box, while they shouldnt have been shut down, I think NFS being taken away from them was deserved because they put out four duds in a row.

From a popularity perspective, yes, they didn't fulfilled the goal it was expected.

But if the games were profitable, don't know why you sack them because the games seems very good to me. And at least every one of them were different.

Not the first time I see a developer saying the users are too dumb or not capable enough. God they are mediocre...

Gran Turismo or Forza aren't arcade games, not to mention that 90% more or less of Pcars1 users according to SMS played with pad. Or many other examples. In fact, arcade games usually have quite challenging gameplay (Gravel, Driveclub, Grid, Dirt 4, V Rally 4...).

Saying they can't achieve more because is what people wants, it's just ridiculous.

Back