Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
Ladies and gentlemen Screenshot_20180101-094623.png

The chat up thread about the value of nostalgia in Ghost Games' NFS games upthread was certainly interesting, but I'm going to have to agree with the idea that I like the call backs.

For better or for worse, I grew up on the Black Box era of games. Most of the games have aged gracefully, and in a lot of ways, they represent the zenith of both the NFS series, and of arcade racing as a whole. I appreciate that Ghost knows there's an audience for said callbacks in the form of license plates, decal options, etc. Are some of the story callbacks needed or even good? No, probably not, but then again, it's nice to have. And frankly, when it comes to story in an NFS game, I'm of the opinion that as long as it isn't a self-fellating experience with a bunch of young, unrelateable douchebags, then I could care less.

That being said:

I quite enjoyed the name drop to Wolf in the Supernova race. Mainly because it shows that things change.

The chat up thread about the value of nostalgia in Ghost Games' NFS games upthread was certainly interesting, but I'm going to have to agree with the idea that I like the call backs.

For better or for worse, I grew up on the Black Box era of games. Most of the games have aged gracefully, and in a lot of ways, they represent the zenith of both the NFS series, and of arcade racing as a whole. I appreciate that Ghost knows there's an audience for said callbacks in the form of license plates, decal options, etc. Are some of the story callbacks needed or even good? No, probably not, but then again, it's nice to have. And frankly, when it comes to story in an NFS game, I'm of the opinion that as long as it isn't a self-fellating experience with a bunch of young, unrelateable douchebags, then I could care less.

That being said:

I quite enjoyed the name drop to Wolf in the Supernova race. Mainly because it shows that things change.

Give it a decade. Ghost are still quite fresh to the game and are still making head way. They've fluffed a few things but are at least making amends (always a good sign). I see no reason why, in 10 years or so they won't have a comprehensive classic on their hands.

At this point I doubt even Ghost knows.

It'd be one thing if they released a new car every week, because at least.. other developers have made us used to this thing known as drip-feeding.

Failing that, if we had some estimate of (and subsequent updates on) when the next vehicle would come around and what vehicle it would be, I have a theory people would be less impatient and less disappointed when the new car isn't the one they'd hoped for.

But it's now been a whole week since the RX-7 should've disappeared. Nothing that Tuesday, nothing this week, not a single word on when we should be expecting something new, other than "on a regular basis".

So they're one-upping a business practice R* basically invented and have sprinkled it with words from the PD vocabulary (haha memes and all).

Honestly, given how the RX-7 was only released with the Speedcross update, I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing until the next major update, regardless of how "ready" the other cars may be. I mean, we more or less know they've given the first generation Skyline GT-R to select "internet personalities" and not in a single-player-mods kind of way - why else would they retweet such activities?

I'm seriously starting to think this is some EA-revenge-scheme for the lootbox 🤬 *they* pulled and had their rear rightfully handed to them for. A sort of "who's laughing now" thing.

At this point I doubt even Ghost knows.

It'd be one thing if they released a new car every week, because at least.. other developers have made us used to this thing known as drip-feeding.

Failing that, if we had some estimate of (and subsequent updates on) when the next vehicle would come around and what vehicle it would be, I have a theory people would be less impatient and less disappointed when the new car isn't the one they'd hoped for.

But it's now been a whole week since the RX-7 should've disappeared. Nothing that Tuesday, nothing this week, not a single word on when we should be expecting something new, other than "on a regular basis".

So they're one-upping a business practice R* basically invented and have sprinkled it with words from the PD vocabulary (haha memes and all).

Honestly, given how the RX-7 was only released with the Speedcross update, I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing until the next major update, regardless of how "ready" the other cars may be. I mean, we more or less know they've given the first generation Skyline GT-R to select "internet personalities" and not in a single-player-mods kind of way - why else would they retweet such activities?

I'm seriously starting to think this is some EA-revenge-scheme for the lootbox 🤬 *they* pulled and had their rear rightfully handed to them for. A sort of "who's laughing now" thing.

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R
Silver Canyon - (December 19, 2017 at 00:00 to January 3, 2018 at 23:59)

http://nfs.wikia.com/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Payback/Abandoned_Cars

Last edited:

Normally, I wouldn’t spread around a Blackpanthaa video but just look at how well the Corvette cop car starting at 6:10 handles and compare that to what we have now.

Why couldn’t we have that, Ghost?

That's rather disappointing to watch. That video is proof that Ghost Games actually knows how to make a good grip-based handling model which appears to be just as fast as drifting around corners, yet we can't have it because.... :confused:

If there is enough uproar about this, a patch could be released which alters how stability control works.

Been playing quite a bit of Payback recently and just got to the final chapter yesterday.

Overall I'd say this is the best NFS there's been at least since Hot Pursuit 2010, all they need to do now is add free roam cops & free roam multiplayer and this is a near perfect NFS IMO.

Even though they were likely heavily scripted, I did really enjoy the cop chases, especially the one in Jess' final Broker mission where you're speeding down the highway at over 200, dodging the Corvette's & X6's behind you while trying to dodge the Rhino's coming from the front.

Although the races I think are getting a bit too easy at this point. Absolutely destroyed Supernova's Huayra in my 396 rated 911 GT3 RS. Didn't see her car once during her entire race even though I had a few serious crashes. And when I tried the first Diamond Block drag, I was able to easily beat a 310 rated M4 with a 265 rated Mustang GT.

Bought and finished the Speedcross DLC today and noticed that putting certain rims at certain sizes on SpeedX cars caused the tyres to glitch up.

The worst offender by far is “Barracuda’s” Infiniti, which does it with pretty much all rims of all sizes

BC1F22A3-5C84-4510-866A-D9C1540BD8CF.png

Bought and finished the Speedcross DLC today and noticed that putting certain rims at certain sizes on SpeedX cars caused the tyres to glitch up.

The worst offender by far is “Barracuda’s” Infiniti, which does it with pretty much all rims of all sizes

View attachment 705257

Pretty sure that is a common bug for the game, I've seen it multiple times on other cars in different classes.

Restarting the game fix the issue for me.

Has anyone had their liveries disappearing off their cars?

My RACE Diablo, RACE M3 E92, RALLY EVO IX, RUNNER 911, SPEEDX Focus & DRIFT 350Z have all had moments where the vinyl doesn’t show at all and just has the base paint

Last edited:
^^^ Where are you when that happens? It frequently happens to me when first entering the garage.... takes a few seconds for the wraps and textures to sort themselves out.

I had that happen a lot. It seems the more I make wraps and the more details I put into them the more it happens.

Going back into the garage and switching cars fixes it though.

^^^ Where are you when that happens? It frequently happens to me when first entering the garage.... takes a few seconds for the wraps and textures to sort themselves out.
They don't sort themselves out at all for me. They'll have no livery when I get in the car, will load again if I go into the livery editor and hover over the livery that car has but even then in most cases the livery will be gone again when I leave the garage and even after several races there will still be no livery at all.

^^^ Man that sucks, I haven't seen that yet thankfully. I'm still probably less than halfway through the game though, so I only have around 15 cars... I dunno if that makes a difference or not.

I've run into a problem. I have a bunch of cars but not enough slots for liveries. Kinda sucks that just painting a car takes up a slot.

I've run into a problem. I have a bunch of cars but not enough slots for liveries. Kinda sucks that just painting a car takes up a slot.

Yeah, that's a glaring issue - you can store an unlimited number of cars, but you can't paint them all. Perhaps that's a limitation created by the save file.

You can but I imagine it’ll remove that livery on any car(s) that have it applied
You sure? 2015 didn't overwrite any car with an old livery meaning you could resave it. I'd be very concerned if Ghost would allow older decals on other cars to be removed if you saved over a decal from the list.

You sure? 2015 didn't overwrite any car with an old livery meaning you could resave it. I'd be very concerned if Ghost would allow older decals on other cars to be removed if you saved over a decal from the list.

The only way you can overwrite a livery in Payback (iirc it worked the same way in 2015) is if the selected wrap is not applied to any car you currently own.

is anyone else having a bad time with the handling of the game? I have tried two controllers today and have a hard time going left but it responds stupidly well to the right. I have checked both controllers with other games so that is one thing eliminated.

If anyones interested. Need For Speed Payback just added wheel support for logitech G29 Ps4 and logitech G290. Fanatec CSL Elite Ps4 wheel works both in Ps4 blue mode and G29 Purple mode in Need For Speed Payback. I prefer the controller over a wheel but I thought others would want to know about the wheel support. I feel NFS is not meant for a wheel but it works well with it though.
I can't drive IRL, but I love driving around with the wheel (the other option being the keyboard, on my PC). I couldn't do without force feedback, though I only play this type or arcade games and not "real" simulators.

BTW I managed to get my old Logitech Driving Force Pro perfectly usable.
I was so disappointed when I realized it was unsupported - and was not working at all in game! I can only use the paddles, and not the lever, to switch gear, but still :)

Back