Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
How you think?
Is it better to look with gold rims or with black ones?
:gtpflag:<3-BMW
maxresdefault.jpg

Great game, very satisfied.Topazy.

^^^ I like the gold rims.

Personally I think they did pretty well with the muscle cars considering there's not a lot of tuner-esque body parts out there for them in the real world. I'm finding that I have a preference for leaving my muscle cars mostly stock in appearance, with some minor modifications like a resto-mod look.

I have a question, what in the Sam 🤬 is all this Tokyo nights stuff showing up on youtube?

It's the response from those longing for another Underground-like game - A fan made concept which has gained a lot of steam thanks to popular YouTube content creators uploading videos around that idea.

It is also based on speculation surrounding the Broker talking about catching a flight to Japan in a phone call played after completing the Skyhammer mission.

What if you get the unlock screen for Aston Martin DB11, Nissan GT-R premium... and all dealership say "Unlocked in Chapter 5 - High Stakes" ? :confused:

^^^ Check and see if any different cars are unlocked - maybe it just gave the wrong cinematic for where you are in the game.

Is this game any good?

The game had huge lootbox problems at the start? Still an issue or fixed?

Worth picking up?

It's worth it. The loot box system is somewhat neutered. You still have to grind for speed cards and tokens, but the game at large has good payout to race ratio meaning you're only quickening the process by buying credits. You don't unlock anything you can't complete or unlock within the hour.

It's worth it. The loot box system is somewhat neutered. You still have to grind for speed cards and tokens, but the game at large has good payout to race ratio meaning you're only quickening the process by buying credits. You don't unlock anything you can't complete or unlock within the hour.
What are speed cards and what do tokens do?

What are speed cards and what do tokens do?

To sum it up, they are the upgrade system in this game. If you played The Crew then you'll know what it's like when getting better parts and the like. A simple example is a level 10 exhaust is better than a level 6 exhaust. Tokens are earned a few ways (trading in parts, leveling up, etc.), and can be used in a sort of slot machine like gimmick to acquire new parts or get potentially better versions of ones you already have.

To sum it up, they are the upgrade system in this game. If you played The Crew then you'll know what it's like when getting better parts and the like. A simple example is a level 10 exhaust is better than a level 6 exhaust. Tokens are earned a few ways (trading in parts, leveling up, etc.), and can be used in a sort of slot machine like gimmick to acquire new parts or get potentially better versions of ones you already have.
Also note that there are parts shops that update every 10 minutes. If you've earned the cash and bought (or fitted via the speed card screen) the parts the new parts will be a stage or two above. Maximum level parts are level 18 (level 12 for speed cross cars).

Also remember not to waste time and tokens like I did because didn't notice I was trying to upgrade a tier 2 car :) :) (that is, max perf is cropped @299 and speed cards at 12).

Changing subject, I still have to figure out what's the effect of the "power steering" option in offroad live tuning. Do you guys use it at all?

Another thing I don't understand is the hate for this game. Most italian forums I used to follow don't even have an official thread. All I can see is memes about how bad it is. But still, who cares :)

Last edited:
^^^ Not sure but when I've messed with the steering option on an off-road vehicle it seemed like it affected how "twitchy" the steering is - how quickly it responds. The off-road vehicles suffer from major understeer. I've found that the best way to drive them is to treat them like a drift car. If I'm coming into a corner and can't turn into it, I'll rip the E-brake to swing the back end around. You can't hold it as long as you do a normal drift car though, just enough to get the car pointed in the right direction. If you over-cook the drift it'll take longer to recover as your vehicle will fish-tail on the dirt.

I don't understand the hate on the game either. Although my disbelief is more with the community that plays it (or claims to play it) than the critics who are reviewing it. The fan base on the official forum and reddit is toxic, demanding ridiculous features and personal insults toward the developers.

I don't understand the hate on the game either. Although my disbelief is more with the community that plays it (or claims to play it) than the critics who are reviewing it. The fan base on the official forum and reddit is toxic, demanding ridiculous features and personal insults toward the developers.

Yeah, I go through the NFS reddit forum and I can't fathom some of the things being said there. Users demand "more communication" and when more information is being released by the community manager, they are still complaining. Now I get that expressing the fact you may not like some game design choices is fine, but some of the remarks made are non-constructive and even abusive, which is not acceptable in any circumstance. There is just no winning that crowd over it seems.

By the way, a new Under The Hood article featuring what's in store for this week's update should be dropping not too long from now.

..and whaddaya know, it's out.

TL;DR
  • Online freeroam returns as Alldrive: Hangout (they really had a hard time thinking of new names for things, huh?) and is basically what you'd expect.
  • Catch-up Packs that have something to do with rubberbanding, namely how you can skip the most boring parts of tuning up your rides for a few in-game(!!!!!!!!) $$$ (that's $180,000 to instantly bring the car to level 16 once you've completed the 5th chapter).
  • A few more underglows and tyre smokes including the all-important bling-gold and candy pink.
  • Bulk-sell all unequipped Speed Cards (useful for Part Flipping)
  • Snapshot Pro gets bigger distance (good thing), the ability to take shots during a takedown sequence, a few more tweaks to the quality of objects (makes sense - it's a separate mode where physics are basically turned off for the convenience of taking photos, so it'd make sense there's some resources that can be utilised elsewhere), a few more filters and being usable in Hangout (here's hoping it's "usable" like the one in The Crew i.e. it freezes everything on your end while everyone else goes unaffected)
That's probably the best compromise we'll ever get when it comes to the performance tuning system, and honestly, I'm not too disappointed with how this sounds.

As for the whole community-thing.. well, it's 2018. Exactly what had you expected? Yes, I had my fair share of poking fun at the game before launch, but I'd file most of that under genuine-concerns-with-added-sarcasm. Certainly post-getting the game, I feel like I've mostly steered clear of rambling for reasons of rambling (the one exception being how Payback goes beyond a casual reference to - even beyond trying to be part of - the Black Box canon) and mostly focused on points where there's actually an argument to be made. Performance tuning, lootboxes et cetera.

All that fun and games aside, for the type of game Payback is trying to be (that's a sort-of-silly open world do-whatever-you-want-with-cars game - again, not unlike Paradise, but with customisation), it's heading in the right direction. Not something I personally would put the NFS badge on, but it's getting closer and closer to being something I can properly, wholeheartedly recommend, despite its flaws.

With that over.. once the update drops, who's up for something on the one platform that's getting nothing "extra" this week?

The Catch-up Packs are what I’m looking forward to the most. I stopped playing the game because fully upgrading cars became so tedious.

.... And now queue up the 14 threads of complaints on the official forums griping that someone's particular niggle wasn't addressed in this update LOL.

I think the upgrade packs are a good idea. Dunno yet if I'll be using them because I haven't even completed chapter 3 yet... no time for gaming these days.
The new neons/smoke colors are a good thing and seem like a really easy update to have made.
The freeroam is of course huge for everyone except me LOL.
Snapshot pro fixes are a great addition.

I was hoping for some more vinyl decals to be added and maybe some more customization items, but I'm happy with the update.

Has anyone found any info on how many players in a lobby for the freeroam?

I know it's only one day till we find out but a few friends and i have been eagerly awaiting this update.

The na miata still doesn't have a roof option like itf did in 2015, but this is just a tiny niggle I have.

Well, 8 was the limit in Rivals, 8 was the limit in 2015, 8 is the limit in what we already have in Payback.. I can't actually think of a "proper" NFS game that supported more than 8 players online.

Until we know if they've made some relatively substantial behind-the-scenes changes specifically to accomodate more than that - in which case one may have expected to see a note of that in the post, given how historically significant that would be - getting your hopes up for any more than that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

The na miata still doesn't have a roof option like itf did in 2015, but this is just a tiny niggle I have.

I hadn't noticed since I haven't built that car, but my tiny niggles also involve the fact that parts and several decals available in 2015 are not included in Payback.

I was hoping for HDR support i know its only cometic and payback has bigger issues to deal with but still. Every modern racer today
supports HDR.

So here's an interesting "undocumented change":

You know how the Mountain Run sprint race runs through the small town of Braxton?

..It doesn't anymore. I'm guessing people complained about that section being "unnecessarily difficult" (which it wasn't, as long as you kept your corner cutting to an acceptable standard) and it was decided to cut that race a full 20 seconds short. Oh well, that'll be the first time after the first week the Recommended challenge isn't a load of..

Also Skyline tomorrow, somewhere around the dam.

It took me some time to figure out how to close live tuning panel today. I blame the localizazion tho.
I preferred the old way but I guess they have solved some controller mapping issue...

Back