Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
^^^ I have no idea what you just said in relation to actual driving mechanics, but I now have a boner
It can be a little lazy when merely coaxed, but drive it like you mean it and it goes exactly where you want it, as you want it. That is with over 1000hp.

Gotcha..... can't wait ;)

A little tease ;) Something to look forward to when you join us on Payback again

A wicked side (racer)

upload_2018-6-20_20-40-22-jpeg.745330

Full tune and a frisky little thing. Still love to be driven but with 1200hp it is more lively.

Anyone been getting lucky with Shipments lately? I have 2 rainbow themed neons in my inventory, plus these now:
8f35a682-521c-4f15-98bc-bda22bf7429d.PNG

bcaff1ea-7156-4174-abb9-56aaece4176b.PNG

I play Need for Speed the first time in 2006. It is a really impressive game.
Now, I can see the game has been improved a lot, with more speed, more money, more roads...
best-most-wanted-car-hd-image-high-quality-wallpaper-castomization-nfs-mazda-rx-ctomization-of-androids.jpg

Now I come back to the games and relize that I am just an old man

..ok, I will be honest, the fact you can now actually own a cop car - with all the multiplayer-whenever-people-can-be-bothered-related possibilities for shenanigans that opens up - might be the *one* thing that's keeping Payback from being uninstalled. That's the one advantage it has over its contemporaries.

..aside from The Crew's Calling All Units DLC..

..or, if we're counting it as a contemporary, the Burnout Paradise remaster..

..and the fact that cop cars are easily available in GTA..

..uhh..

One wishes you could do more with it than just tune it up and add vanity items, but that's apparently where we are.

I found this interesting. Everyone will have their own opinion. I don't own TC2 so I can't really say so authoritatively, but there have been many times of watching videos of TC2 that left me thinking it was a game made in 2013. There have been other times where it looked amazing. it seems to me that both games have strong and weak points, as the video brings out.

I found this interesting. Everyone will have their own opinion. I don't own TC2 so I can't really say so authoritatively, but there have been many times of watching videos of TC2 that left me thinking it was a game made in 2013. There have been other times where it looked amazing. it seems to me that both games have strong and weak points, as the video brings out.

Once the newness factor of TC2 begins to fade and you have reach the stage progression seems a little stagnant, you start to take more notice of the presentation and discover how rough around the edges TC2 is. In terms of how it compares with Payback, this is what I said in the Abandoned cars thread:

I was expecting The Crew 2 to decimate any fun factor Payback had but strangely enough, I picked up a number of things this game has the edge on - the audio (voice acting & engine sounds), customisation, variety in activities and graphics (foilage) to name a few. To be fair, it is very early days for TC2 and Payback has come a long way since launch. Competition is very welcome in this sector! :cheers:

And as much as I would bag on the driving physics on NFS, I would say that it's much better than TC2's model. They game definitely has its shining moments, but they're offset by the lack of quality in TC2. Playing it made me actually appreciate NFS and Horizon more.

And as much as I would bag on the driving physics on NFS, I would say that it's much better than TC2's model. They game definitely has its shining moments, but they're offset by the lack of quality in TC2. Playing it made me actually appreciate NFS and Horizon more.
Because TC2 lacks polish, not saiyng that Payback is perfect (because it isn't), but I find NFS to be a little bit better in my opinion

Because TC2 lacks polish, not saiyng that Payback is perfect (because it isn't), but I find NFS to be a little bit better in my opinion
That's the conclusion I came to as well. As a whole package, even though TC2 has Planes and Boats, I think NFS Payback was better put together.

The phrase that best describes The Crew 2 is "Jack of all trades, master of none".Even though its content variety gives the game greater appeal than NFS Payback overall, if someone asked me which game I find more enjoyable as an arcade street racer, I would be leaning towards Payback.

I am actually the opposite. Your points are valid, and i think it is a personal flavour kinda thing. I have put tons of time into nfs and logged a lot of miles and time in tc2 so far, and while i agree it is not nearly as polished, i certainly prefer driving around in tc2, and am having more fun than i remember having in nfs, even when it was fresh.... both are enjoyable experiences, just different. For example, when i go to nfs to collect the weeks abandoned car i am not inticed to stick around and cruise, i guess i just prefer the handling in tc2 for some reason. You guys did play with the settings i assume

I dont know, I think the handling in The Crew 2 is the worst I've seen on a game to date, but NFS15 just being a bit worse off than that. There's no excitement to the driving, it's just uneventful. That and the drifting is pretty terrible. I haven't had an urge to play it since the first few days of buying it. NFS at least got me wanting to keep playing it till the end, and once going back to it after playing TC2 you realize how much better the driving physics are in general, as well as the overall visuals it gives.

It's lacking presence in my opinion, it feels like it just borrows from a bunch of games, but doesn't really better anything that it's taking from them. As a Plane and boat game I think its pretty solid, but the main thing I want to do is drive, and I'm just not liking how it does at the moment.

Also, for how good the visuals can be at times, the photos taken with photomode just look like trash.

I don't know man. Nfs has a much better polish for sure but somehow we feel completly opposite on which game is more enjoyable to drive around in. Exept the drifting, that is definitely weird to handle in tc2

Still haven't picked up a Regera, Huayra or Beck Customs? Neither have I....

... But now seems the perfect time to do so:

Yes! I'm grinding some money for the Huayra, I've already bought the Regera and man, I see why it's the best car in the game.

Last edited:
Dangit! I haven't unlocked all the cars yet! Well, I did take advantage of the sale though, buying around 5-7 cars I would've bought eventually anyhow..

^^^ Criticism of each and every developer involved in the series is warranted, and Ghost has made their fair share of mistakes. I do however feel like they have the series pointed in the right direction, and it would be criminal to assign a new developer to the series yet again. Payback was an improvement over 2015 in almost all respects, and captures a "fun" aspect that has been missing from the series for a while now. If they continue to build on their progress, I would expect the next installment to be even better.

Here's a controversial topic for discussion:

In regards to the performance upgrade system, Payback's slot machine style system is almost universally loathed. But is it possible that it could actually be more fun and a better progression system than a normal one? Take 2015 for example. If you want to build a car to its ultimate level, you simply have to choose the highest tier of performance parts, click a button, and it is installed. If you have a lower-tiered part already installed, there's no performance "stacking," you are simply exchanging one part with its own baseline stats with another one. There's absolutely no strategy, no thinking, involved whatsoever. You want to max out a car? You just go down the list. You don't stop and think "Do I wanna put this new ECU on or not?" You just mindlessly go down the list and choose pictures, Bam, Bam, Bam,... money spent, you're done. - How is that actually simulating putting together a high performance car in the real world?

Now contrast that with Payback's system: In Payback, you go to the shop and you are presented upgrades that are designed to be incremental enhancements, thus encouraging the feeling of progression, like you earned it. The more you drive a particular car, the more powerful it becomes. The system forces you to be a car driver rather than a car collector. Also, with the additional perks attached to some cards, the system has also introduced a dynamic that the previous one didn't - Actually having to think about what you are doing. Yes, you can choose this level 12 part and replace your level 10 part, but your level 10 part has some perks that, if lost, will actually downgrade your car, and may not be the best option depending on your style of driving. You actually have to think about stuff like that instead of mindlessly clicking purchase, purchase, purchase..

I dunno guys, I thought it was totally weird at first, but the longer I play Payback, the more I appreciate the thought that went into the upgrade system. I genuinely enjoy it more than the old way. In Payback I go to the tuning shop wondering what little gem I might find or chance upon, whereas in other games there's no mystery, you know you are going to have 3 tiers of performance for each category of parts, and that's that.

What do you guys think?

^^^ Criticism of each and every developer involved in the series is warranted, and Ghost has made their fair share of mistakes. I do however feel like they have the series pointed in the right direction, and it would be criminal to assign a new developer to the series yet again. Payback was an improvement over 2015 in almost all respects, and captures a "fun" aspect that has been missing from the series for a while now. If they continue to build on their progress, I would expect the next installment to be even better.

Here's a controversial topic for discussion:

In regards to the performance upgrade system, Payback's slot machine style system is almost universally loathed. But is it possible that it could actually be more fun and a better progression system than a normal one? Take 2015 for example. If you want to build a car to its ultimate level, you simply have to choose the highest tier of performance parts, click a button, and it is installed. If you have a lower-tiered part already installed, there's no performance "stacking," you are simply exchanging one part with its own baseline stats with another one. There's absolutely no strategy, no thinking, involved whatsoever. You want to max out a car? You just go down the list. You don't stop and think "Do I wanna put this new ECU on or not?" You just mindlessly go down the list and choose pictures, Bam, Bam, Bam,... money spent, you're done. - How is that actually simulating putting together a high performance car in the real world?

Now contrast that with Payback's system: In Payback, you go to the shop and you are presented upgrades that are designed to be incremental enhancements, thus encouraging the feeling of progression, like you earned it. The more you drive a particular car, the more powerful it becomes. The system forces you to be a car driver rather than a car collector. Also, with the additional perks attached to some cards, the system has also introduced a dynamic that the previous one didn't - Actually having to think about what you are doing. Yes, you can choose this level 12 part and replace your level 10 part, but your level 10 part has some perks that, if lost, will actually downgrade your car, and may not be the best option depending on your style of driving. You actually have to think about stuff like that instead of mindlessly clicking purchase, purchase, purchase..

I dunno guys, I thought it was totally weird at first, but the longer I play Payback, the more I appreciate the thought that went into the upgrade system. I genuinely enjoy it more than the old way. In Payback I go to the tuning shop wondering what little gem I might find or chance upon, whereas in other games there's no mystery, you know you are going to have 3 tiers of performance for each category of parts, and that's that.

What do you guys think?
I do appreciate some of the features of the speed card system, such as being able to but the parts every 10 minutes as well as earning a card at the end of race (ideally you should get one for completing a race, not just winning, but regardless), but the slot mechanic is fun, but superfluous not to mention a possible money drain if implemented incorrectly. EA have learned a few lessons from Battle Front II and have allow a semi-purchasable progression using in game cash, but they had a good system before the speed cards. 2015 had a good system of locked parts that needed success to unlock with others locked to level. That system should be used again as it's simpler and more effective than speed cards.

I dunno guys, I thought it was totally weird at first, but the longer I play Payback, the more I appreciate the thought that went into the upgrade system.
The only thought that went into the upgrade system was how to extract money from your pockets. Surely they've backpedaled and increased the rewards, but it still remains a POS of an upgrade system regardless - in my opinion.

I have to remind myself of that every time there's a sale on this game.

MXH
The only thought that went into the upgrade system was how to extract money from your pockets. Surely they've backpedaled and increased the rewards, but it still remains a POS of an upgrade system regardless - in my opinion.

I have to remind myself of that every time there's a sale on this game.

Yeah, EA certainly does want to milk every cent they can, no argument there. But there has never been a need (and I personally have never found a reason) to spend one cent of real-world money on upgrades. Even before the changes to the upgrade system. The idea that they tried to make Payback a pay-to-win game was blown completely out of proportion due to the Star Wars fiasco.

The upgrade system kind of reminds me of an old-school RPG. Items with perks, random chances for such items after victories (similar to looting a corpse) and when you are presented with said items, you then have to think about how to use them best (equip, trade-in, or sell outright).

Back