Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
As far as iconic vehicles, I'd imagine the typical E3 Demo M3 GTR would be included. Hopefully they go the route of 2015 and include some of the more obscure vehicles like blacklist members, Eastsiders that aren't Eddie, maybe even some crews from other games, etc.

If they really wanna get nostalgic, they can throw in the Clio V6 and 996 Turbo from NFS Edge. That'll surprise some people.

Just shooting the breeze about this game because, why not.... I'm approximately halfway through chapter 5 and now I don't want to finish it until after the next update. I want my last runner car to be the Alfa Romeo, exactly what I wished for months ago.

Meanwhile, of the top tier cars I still haven't unlocked any of the Lambos (other than the Diablo), but I did purchase the Audi R8 and the Mclaren 570S. Prior to these purchases I was not a huge R8 fan, thinking it looks like a modern VW Beetle that they stretched into a supercar. Likewise Mclarens are okay, but I'm not a big fan of their design language. As soon as I headed out in the 570S however, my opinion was changing.... the sound is incredible and the looks can be greatly improved in the garage. After taking the car on a test drive around the dam district I quickly soured again. The car has massive understeer and protests at any attempt to slide the back end around. Trying to drive at high speed around curves is impossible. I finally discovered that it's happier when you downshift less upon entering a curve, but that kills your speed. Overall really disappointed and wouldn't recommend the 570s for those reasons.

On the other hand, the Audi R8 is simply incredible. Like its cousin the S5, the powerband is butter smooth, and it's happy to oversteer when you command it to. Once in a slide, despite being a race car and not a drifter, it holds the line well and goes where you tell it. So far it is my favorite handling car in the game besides the BRZ - probably fitting because they both handle very similarly. I'm kind of frustrated that I like the R8 so much, because I'm HOPING that the Huracan handles as beautifully - I like Lambos a lot more than I like Audis ;)

I've three accounts and two I'm using to muck about with, one of which I intend to keep resetting the story on to use as a brainstorming account. The other is sitting idle and at the start of chapter 2 (post prologue) waiting for the new lv399 cars and the Alfa Giulia. The third account is the original playthrough and is there to be filled out and completed.

Just tried Payback at a friend's house. First impression is handling is definitely improved over NFS 2015. No more crab drifting. But it's still inconsistent and not tight enough. If I have to describe it's like NFS The Run but less weighty. Also tried drift mode briefly, which is even worse. The upgrade system is also needlessly complicated. What ever happened to good old performance parts? Instead you get these loot crate style cards :yuck: This is a fully priced game, not a mobile game. I'm glad that garage slots are now unlimited, but not having a separate "arcade mode" garage where you can try out cars and fully tune them without using money sucks. Not everyone has the time to grind and grind. Graphics look to be a bit worse than 2015 too - though I suspect being in daylight tend to do that. Car list is impressive and I love the derelicts and old cars, but that's about the only thing I liked.

Anyway, my interest in NFS has been waning for a few years now and Payback isn't doing any favours to return it. Will sit this one out until it's bargain bin on PSN/Origin probably. I still haven't had the chance to play Rivals which I bought in Origin Xmas sale last year :lol:

I am too considering purchasing the Payback but, is there any significant difference between the basic version and the deluxe version?

Any extra perks to get you going faster or such?

Also, how much freedom of driving you get between and after the story? And can you drive anywhere on the map?

I haven't bought/played any NFS games since, I think, Undercover back in ps3(2?).

I am too considering purchasing the Payback but, is there any significant difference between the basic version and the deluxe version?

Any extra perks to get you going faster or such?

Also, how much freedom of driving you get between and after the story? And can you drive anywhere on the map?

I bought the regular edition of the game and other than the Speedcross DLC being included for free, I can't think of any significant differences. You get a 10% boost on payouts (making money in the regular edition isn't hard), 5 cars added to your garage and 5 shipments (loot boxes) from the get go. If you like advancing quicker then the Deluxe edition is for you.

Freedom is comparable to the Forza Horizon games, although if you are not in an offroad vehicle, you cannot blitz your way across the dirt like you can in the Forza games. Some areas cannot be driven on such as steep drops behind guard rails, hard rocks typically found in the canyons and the airport by Silver Rock city.

I bought the regular edition of the game and other than the Speedcross DLC being included for free, I can't think of any significant differences. You get a 10% boost on payouts (making money in the regular edition isn't hard), 5 cars added to your garage and 5 shipments (loot boxes) from the get go. If you like advancing quicker then the Deluxe edition is for you.

Freedom is comparable to the Forza Horizon games, although if you are not in an offroad vehicle, you cannot blitz your way across the dirt like you can in the Forza games. Some areas cannot be driven on such as steep drops behind guard rails, hard rocks typically found in the canyons and the airport by Silver Rock city.

Long and short, if you haven't played the game and the the deluxe version is on offer, get it. If not then get the regular. For $24 it is more than worth the outlay otherwise, as FT-1 had said, the regular is hardly a chore. If nothing else if you can pick up the game for less than $30 you will have a decent all rounder that is due a pretty decent update on the 19/06/18.

Last edited:
Today EA has announced that NFS Payback is now free to access and Orgins.
As a new chapter is in the books.

Less than a week to go until we can upgrade all the cars from the fly weight miatas to the all conquering skyline. A semi redundant question as most of us have finished the game and generally just mess around, but will the expansion of 399 cars now change the line up of the current 399 cars you play with or will you just try out the cars and stick with your current faves?

Also I hope the DLC comes out at the same time as I really want my Alfa.

Less than a week to go until we can upgrade all the cars from the fly weight miatas to the all conquering skyline. A semi redundant question as most of us have finished the game and generally just mess around, but will the expansion of 399 cars now change the line up of the current 399 cars you play with or will you just try out the cars and stick with your current faves?

Also I hope the DLC comes out at the same time as I really want my Alfa.

For regular racing, I'm really keen to try out the lightweight Lotus Exige S. With offroading, the SVT Raptor will be my first go-to car (plus it would be fun to compare with the Colorado ZR2 and Range Rover SVR).

Even though Payback is heavily outclassed by the upcoming open world racers, I still find it fun to hop back into from time-to-time. Usually I would be occupied by daily challenges, abandoned cars and bait crates, but soon the increased wrap limit and uncapped cars would be a motive to expand my garage. 👍

For regular racing, I'm really keen to try out the lightweight Lotus Exige S. With offroading, the SVT Raptor will be my first go-to car (plus it would be fun to compare with the Colorado ZR2 and Range Rover SVR).

Even though Payback is heavily outclassed by the upcoming open world racers, I still find it fun to hop back into from time-to-time. Usually I would be occupied by daily challenges, abandoned cars and bait crates, but soon the increased wrap limit and uncapped cars would be a motive to expand my garage. 👍
Forgot about the raptor. I'll be dumping the story on one of the accounts and will likely see how the dinosaur does with more bite ;) :)
It would be fun to compare the RR with the other SUV's and off roaders.

To answer your question cudwieser, I am a little less than halfway through chapter 5, and as soon as I heard the details about the coming update, I deliberately held off on finishing the game.

I really felt that the choices of Runner cars that can go up to 399 was sorely lacking. I was using the BMW M5 as my 'final' Runner car, but now that we are getting the Alfa Romeo, there's no question I will use it instead.

My final lineup will probably be this:

Drag class: Lamborghini Diablo
Reason:
Lamborghini is my favorite car brand and the Diablo was the last true stick-shift lambo - It's too old to beat out newer supercars in grip racing, so the drag class felt like the perfect spot to put such a car.
Drift class: Nissan Fairlady (derelict)
Reason:
I've always liked the old Fairladies, but before actually trying it out, I never though I'd like it enough to want to finish the game with it. It drifts so effortlessly though, I really love driving it.
Race class: Lamborghini Huracan
Reason:
Again, Lamborghinis are my faves. I would've preferred to finish with an Aventador, but during the heist mission where you steal one, I was vastly disappointed with the handling. After watching Youtube reviews, I see it's not just me. Apparently the Huracan is the best Lambo in the game, and that's good enough for me. (I haven't actually unlocked it yet, so I can't speak from experience).
Off-road class: Aston Martin DB5
Reason:
I was disappointed with the selection of off-road vehicles that would go to 399. When the DLC dropped for the DB5, I knew I had to use it as an off-roader, just because it's so rebellious. I love the look of the superbuild - it's absolutely mental.
Runner class: Alfa Romeo Giulia
Reason:
I've been in love with the Giulia since it was first unveiled. I think it's the most beautiful 4-door sedan currently in production. Can't wait to flog it around the cops as Jess.
Speedcross: Mini Countryman
Reason:
It's hard to classify Speedcross as a thing since it really doesn't play much of a role in the story, but what the heck... I like the looks of the Countryman and it feels good on the Speedcross tracks. I could be talked into the Ford Focus RS though...

Of course I own many more cars, but those are the ones I've chosen to go through the final part of the story with, for no more reason than personal preference.

To answer your question cudwieser, I am a little less than halfway through chapter 5, and as soon as I heard the details about the coming update, I deliberately held off on finishing the game.

I really felt that the choices of Runner cars that can go up to 399 was sorely lacking. I was using the BMW M5 as my 'final' Runner car, but now that we are getting the Alfa Romeo, there's no question I will use it instead.

My final lineup will probably be this:

Drag class: Lamborghini Diablo
Reason:
Lamborghini is my favorite car brand and the Diablo was the last true stick-shift lambo - It's too old to beat out newer supercars in grip racing, so the drag class felt like the perfect spot to put such a car.
Drift class: Nissan Fairlady (derelict)
Reason:
I've always liked the old Fairladies, but before actually trying it out, I never though I'd like it enough to want to finish the game with it. It drifts so effortlessly though, I really love driving it.
Race class: Lamborghini Huracan
Reason:
Again, Lamborghinis are my faves. I would've preferred to finish with an Aventador, but during the heist mission where you steal one, I was vastly disappointed with the handling. After watching Youtube reviews, I see it's not just me. Apparently the Huracan is the best Lambo in the game, and that's good enough for me. (I haven't actually unlocked it yet, so I can't speak from experience).
Off-road class: Aston Martin DB5
Reason:
I was disappointed with the selection of off-road vehicles that would go to 399. When the DLC dropped for the DB5, I knew I had to use it as an off-roader, just because it's so rebellious. I love the look of the superbuild - it's absolutely mental.
Runner class: Alfa Romeo Giulia
Reason:
I've been in love with the Giulia since it was first unveiled. I think it's the most beautiful 4-door sedan currently in production. Can't wait to flog it around the cops as Jess.
Speedcross: Mini Countryman
Reason:
It's hard to classify Speedcross as a thing since it really doesn't play much of a role in the story, but what the heck... I like the looks of the Countryman and it feels good on the Speedcross tracks. I could be talked into the Ford Focus RS though...

Of course I own many more cars, but those are the ones I've chosen to go through the final part of the story with, for no more reason than personal preference.

Speedcross seems an add-on for the Gymkhana nuts with a speed drift vibe with some of the side bets. The only things missing are the Touge and Drift Trains from 2015 and maybe an eliminator stlye drift/race from Multi.

I must say I still can't envisage a DB5 as an off road (ironic given what DB stands for). All the more kudos to you for trying it :)

P.S to anyone who didn't get the DB reference it stands for David Brown, a tractor and farm equipment manufacterer in the UK who bought the ailing Aston Martin company in the late 40's. The company owned Aston until the late 70's/early 80's when Aston was put into receivership and David Brown tractors were bought out by Case (of Quadtrac fame). The DB moniker has been retained in his honor as he was probably the longest owner of the firm and did more to make it the brand it is today.

In short, for a car so unsuited to off roading, it was a man more associated with off roading and sod busting that we have to thank for the DB5.

Speedcross seems an add-on for the Gymkhana nuts with a speed drift vibe with some of the side bets. The only things missing are the Touge and Drift Trains from 2015 and maybe an eliminator stlye drift/race from Multi.

I must say I still can't envisage a DB5 as an off road (ironic given what DB stands for). All the more kudos to you for trying it :)

In short, for a car so unsuited to off roading, it was a man more associated with off roading and sod busting that we have to thank for the DB5.

Kind of like how Lamborghini was originally a tractor manufacturer lol

I'll upload pics of my DB5 when I get a chance. The license plate aptly bears the name "MPROPER." lol

Quick question, as I'll be getting the game tomorrow. When does the patch come out? And the 399 you guys are talking about, does that mean I'll have more variety at the higher tiers of the game, with the cars I'm able to use?

Quick question, as I'll be getting the game tomorrow. When does the patch come out? And the 399 you guys are talking about, does that mean I'll have more variety at the higher tiers of the game, with the cars I'm able to use?

The update comes out on June 19th.

And yes, the update will allow all cars to be reach the highest performance level, which is 399. Right now, some cars can only go up to 299.

The update comes out on June 19th.

And yes, the update will allow all cars to be reach the highest performance level, which is 399. Right now, some cars can only go up to 299.
👍 Thanks! Looking forward to finally trying this out. The customization alone is what I've always wanted in Forza, but they always seem to leave that aspect of the game behind, in my opinion.

👍 Thanks! Looking forward to finally trying this out. The customization alone is what I've always wanted in Forza, but they always seem to leave that aspect of the game behind, in my opinion.

Please let us see your creations when you get the time :) One kick in the teeth for you though. The unavoidable 'tutorial' of a first chapter takes the guts of 40 minutes before you get your first car (choice of 3). If you've bought the DLC packs the cars from those packs will be free in game so you can (In typical EA fashion) buy yourself an advantage. The DLC cars are pretty decent though, especially the Trans Am.

Some people hated the prologue, I loved it - gives you a chance to drive no less than 8 different vehicles of various tiers and get a taste of what the game has to offer before dumping you off in a starter car.

I posted this in the screenshots thread, but maybe it was missed...

I know some of you are using Cinematic Tools, and I need help with understanding how to use it.... I downloaded Cinematic Tools in order to take better screenshots. Everything seems to have installed and is working just fine, however I cannot figure out how to actually take the screenshot. The camera controls override the usual game controls, and nothing seems to work - I can adjust all of the camera settings, but once I actually want to take the screenshot, I can't figure out what to press and/or where the screenshot is saved. There's nothing in the readme file for Cinematic Tools..

Thanks for the help.

The game is generally more pleasing, than not, so far. One thing I was sad about though, was the removal of some of the options within the Stance Tuning menu. The driving is a lot better than it was in NFS2015, but for some reason there's still some crabwalking when using the Drift class specifically, but it's not a constant issue. Money is fairly easy to come by, which was a grip I had about the past game. It makes it easier to just blow through the credits, I end up just modifying a car to see if I'd like it visually, and even if I don't, I don't feel pressed for cash because a couple of races and you're all good.

Bought it Friday and already put about 21 hours into it so far. I have one question though, is the online freeroam available yet?

Bought it Friday and already put about 21 hours into it so far. I have one question though, is the online freeroam available yet?

Yes, although it is not seamless like it was back in 2015. Until tomorrow, online free roam only consists of free roam activities, plus the imagination of up to 8 players.

The game is generally more pleasing, than not, so far. One thing I was sad about though, was the removal of some of the options within the Stance Tuning menu. The driving is a lot better than it was in NFS2015, but for some reason there's still some crabwalking when using the Drift class specifically, but it's not a constant issue. Money is fairly easy to come by, which was a grip I had about the past game. It makes it easier to just blow through the credits, I end up just modifying a car to see if I'd like it visually, and even if I don't, I don't feel pressed for cash because a couple of races and you're all good.

It is, but very spread out. There are a few events coming for it tomorrow

Yes, although it is not seamless like it was back in 2015. Until tomorrow, online free roam only consists of free roam activities, plus the imagination of up to 8 players.

It is, but very spread out. There are a few events coming for it tomorrow
Ah ok, thanks for the help. Just wondering as a couple of my friends picked up the game as well, since it was on sale.

Ah ok, thanks for the help. Just wondering as a couple of my friends picked up the game as well, since it was on sale.

Here's a link to what's coming

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-payback/news/june-2018-update

Long and short you get to organise a shindig with friends so you won't be lost looking for them around the map (by the sounds of it anyway)

AllDrive: Quick Races

Beat your friends anytime, anywhere. Now you can create your own races in AllDrive and invite everyone in your Hangout session to join. Select a destination, send an invite to other players on the server, and be the first across the finish line.

Add to that the new cars and the 399 limit rise on all cars, I can see some hooning and car meets taking off. :)

Here's a link to what's coming

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-payback/news/june-2018-update

Long and short you get to organise a shindig with friends so you won't be lost looking for them around the map (by the sounds of it anyway)

AllDrive: Quick Races

Beat your friends anytime, anywhere. Now you can create your own races in AllDrive and invite everyone in your Hangout session to join. Select a destination, send an invite to other players on the server, and be the first across the finish line.

Add to that the new cars and the 399 limit rise on all cars, I can see some hooning and car meets taking off. :)
Yeah I just read that earlier today. That's supposed to be released tomorrow, right?

I'm glad I'm not too far into the story yet, as now I can basically use any car of my choosing. I'm barely peaking into the races that require about 220-250.

It's suspected that the removal of the tire width and rake options that were present in 2015 were to make way for the air suspension option in Payback. It is probably due to clipping problems. It's disappointing, because I don't understand why, at the very least, they couldn't give us an either/or option - they restrict the use of certain body parts when they are incompatible, so why couldn't they just restrict the installation of air ride if the currently applied stance doesn't allow it?

Anyways, crab-walking is still very much a thing in off-road cars, but somehow it doesn't feel so out of place on the dirt.

I've never been able to understand the grinding complaints - as you say, money is easy to come by, even if you buy upgrade parts directly instead of spin for them. Right now I have over a million in the bank and nearly 260 spin credits for parts upgrades - I don't use them because it's just as easy to buy upgrades.

Glad you are enjoying the game more than you thought you would

Back