Need for Speed: Rivals

The tree covered windy roads in PA/NJ they recapture beautifully is all we need. You haven't lived until you drive the roads in PA hard. They might kill you but it's worth it.

All the Criterion NFS's thus far have been god awful. Vehicle handling characteristics especially, they just don't 🤬 turn, meaning you have to resort to that really cheap tacky drift mechanism.

Don't want them to ruin Underground, they've already ruined HP and MW. U2 was amazing.

All the Criterion NFS's thus far have been god awful. Vehicle handling characteristics especially, they just don't 🤬 turn, meaning you have to resort to that really cheap tacky drift mechanism.

Don't want them to ruin Underground, they've already ruined HP and MW. U2 was amazing.

It was fake, look on the last page.

Rumours are still around Underground remake. And with console rumours, alot are true and are made official around a month after.

I agree, that's why I got annoyed with HP2010. The cars just don't turn on corners unless you power slide which means you usually end up under steering at hit the inside of the corner plus the rubber banding & crash mechanics meant you lost a race the minute you hit something. Black Box's HP2 handled like the dream, the perfect balance.

As for this upcoming game it will probably be an Undercover reboot. I'm still waiting for the original NFS remake with no open world and point to point races.

Robin.

If the cars didn't drift doing 200MPH ya'll would bitch that you'd have to slow down to 40MPH to take corners. The drifting in HP & MW was great because there was a couple ways to do it but only one right way.

If the cars didn't drift doing 200MPH ya'll would bitch that you'd have to slow down to 40MPH to take corners. The drifting in HP & MW was great because there was a couple ways to do it but only one right way.

No they want it like Undercover where you could go flat out through every corner in a Veyron :lol:

No thanks, I'm over RICE simulators...

It doesn't have to be a RICE simulator. Look at the SHIFT games; that's the customization we need. Surely we can do without certain aspects of tuning, but still. What if I want to modify my Aston Martin to have race spec transmission, or racing seats? That's what I was referring too.

As for this upcoming game it will probably be an Undercover reboot. I'm still waiting for the original NFS remake with no open world and point to point races.

A link posted earlier clearly stated that Criterion was done with rebooting NFS games from the past.

It doesn't have to be a RICE simulator. Look at the SHIFT games; that's the customization we need. Surely we can do without certain aspects of tuning, but still. What if I want to modify my Aston Martin to have race spec transmission, or racing seats? That's what I was referring too.

That's good, I like that.

Oh, and a livery editor just like Shift. But easier to use... :lol:

Oh, and a livery editor just like Shift. But easier to use... :lol:
Shift's editor was garbage. No NFS game had a good livery editor since ProStreet. You could spend little time making award winning liveries for your car with it. Shift's sucked beyond belief. Shift 2's was alright but the mirroring was wrong. Vinyls did't scale, move, & rotate properly. It was way way way to sensitive like you go to move slightly & it shot across the car. ProStreet's should of been recycled for every NFS game after it.

Give us a 3rd Underground with U2's sheer mass amount of customization & ProStreet's livery editor.

Yeah, a lot of people (including myself) were hyped for an Underground remake, but sadly it isn't going to happen. Underground 2 was one of the best NFS (customization wise) for the past consoles.

Pro street was ok, but lack of pre made shapes, pictures, fonts made designing boring. They could implement ps move with drag, drop, stretch, rotate, crop, cut etc to make it easier, no jaggedy movements in 4 directions. And i liked the boot builds, neons and bodykits in NFS:UG2 for street only, but also adding a sub category of Shift with Track Modding like stripping car, adding power to engine, improving handling, lightening body panels, and track prepping for a race series. They could do well with customisation alone as well as if they add street racing and track racing. Almost have 2 different personas to play in one game, at the same time.

Just some random thoughts:

I feel the last NFSs with physics that really worked were the UGs and the original MW. Every title since then has had even odder handling quirks that took a while to get used to.

That said, I never really had problems with HP2010's handling as a whole. Maybe finishing 3 Burnouts to 100% played a part...

I see the UG series, Pro Street and Shift series as related. Their depth stems partly from car modifying with a gameplay focus on legal, sanctioned events.

(The lack of cops in the UG series = legal, regardless of the bribing and breaking and entering in the cutscenes.)

A good thing of the Run is that it effectively has the skeleton of the original NFS. Point to point races in various terrains in cars that are generally mechanically stock. BB really should have included a bonus 'story-less' mode that excludes the shooting gangsters and the out of car sequences but retains the rest of the coast to coast events. (Like challenge mode but with more flexibility of car choice and with a more continuous nature.)

Next, having factory colours in HP2010 and both of '11's titles had me thinking:

Regardless of the next games being Burnout-style or Run-style or anything else, I'd really like to see more of these types of details, including narrated showcases and hopefully cockpit views if the gameplay style allows. MW2012 was a step backwards in this department.

(Cockpits could be odd in a Criterion game where the car is sideways most of the time but they'd fit in the Run. The 2 driving sections in the last/latest MOH sure seemed exciting.)

Also, how much depth must a modern racing game have? Is there room for relatively simple but pleasant racers like HP2010 or must everything now have a story and/or a lengthy, money based career mode and/or an open world with thousands of discoverables like MW2012 to survive in the marketplace?

It's also really sad to see the genre struggle as a whole lately. Apart from the big names, there are few others that commercially succeed.

Personally, though it probably definitely won't ever happen any time soon, I also wish that Criterion could work on a pre-Paradise style Burnout, with traditional traffic dodging and taking advantage of more powerful hardware for even better looking crashes.

Heck, even a HD remaster of the pre-Paradise Burnouts would be good. And a PS3 version of the X360 version of Revenge too!

On an endnote, 2014 will mark the series' 20th anniversary. The movie would be out as well.

Last edited:
Personally, though it probably definitely won't ever happen any time soon, I also wish that Criterion could work on a pre-Paradise style Burnout, with traditional traffic dodging and taking advantage of more powerful hardware for even better looking crashes.
Criterion recently stated that their next game will be something new. No Burnout, no NFS, no Black 2, no reboot or remake.

No, the head of CG said he personally won't be. He wasn't speaking on behalf of the entire team.

Yeah, saw the news on EG and came back here to strike it out. :lol:

Still, if CG isn't working on NFS, Paradise 2 or Black, what could they be working on?

But anyway, can't wait to see what Ghost can come up with. June could not come soon enough...

Um maybe there will not be an NFS game since EA is laying off people.

Here is the linky

Yeh read that but theres 3 Genres EA would not drop (NFS, sports and FPS of BF3 & MoH) to big an income to drop, even Crisis, Mass Effect and Dead Space aren't gonna be dropped. Not many places to go for a NEW nfs other than realistic sim to contend with Forza and GT. They cant bring a 20 game series to an end,
I hope Ghost is gonna be like Black Box and create a good racer (and criterion said "they're not working on Underground 3, so Ghost could be.........)

EA could simply drop devs so other publishers can pick them up. If they lay them off they will simply rename their selves & join up with a publishers, etc.
Still, if CG isn't working on NFS, Paradise 2 or Black, what could they be working on?
Only thing I could see them making is a sandbox style game like GTA but without the hooker banging violence.

I have been thinking about this years NFS for a few years now (as weird as that may sound).

2013 is the year of the 50th anniversary of Lamborghini, so I really hope they make a game truly dedicated to Lamborghini, just like they did in 2000 with Porsche.

They could potentially call it Need For Speed: Lamborghini Untamed,
because that's the name they gave to one of the DLC packs in NFS Hot Pursuit, along with the Porsche Unleashed DLC pack.

NFS Porsche remains one of my favorites in the series to this day, (the PC version, I never had a PS1), being more on the simulation side but still offering great tracks and beautiful variations on real world locations, instead of (imo) often boring racing tracks that are in every other game.

Imagine the potential of a game with the graphical power of the PS4/Nextbox that has literally every model and version of Lamborghini from 1963 to 2013 (with the Veneno as the ultimate reward for 100%ting it or something), along with many stunning recreations of interesting real world locations and regions. Sounds like a dreamgame to me..

I am curious to hear what you all think of this idea.

First post on this forum btw.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this years NFS for a few years now (as weird as that may sound).

2013 is the year of the 50th anniversary of Lamborghini, so I really hope they make a game truly dedicated to Lamborghini, just like they did in 2000 with Porsche.

They could potentially call it Need For Speed: Lamborghini Untamed,
because that's the name they gave to one of the DLC packs in NFS Hot Pursuit, along with the Porsche Unleashed DLC pack.

NFS Porsche remains one of my favorites in the series to this day, (the PC version, I never had a PS1), being more on the simulation side but still offering great tracks and beautiful variations on real world locations, instead of (imo) often boring racing tracks that are in every other game.

Imagine the potential of a game with the graphical power of the PS4/Nextbox that has literally every model and version of Lamborghini from 1963 to 2013 (with the Veneno as the ultimate reward for 100%ting it or something), along with many stunning recreations of interesting real world locations and regions. Sounds like a dreamgame to me..

I am curious to hear what you all think of this idea.

First post on this forum btw.

Welcome to :gtpflag: Enjoy your stay, we don't bite... well I don't :mischievous:

I like that idea personally, it'd be great for Lambo and I'm sure they'd love it.

Sounds cool but they need to have every concept, prototype & irl race car Lambo ever made/associated with for it to have an impressive car list. Having 10 Gallardo variants would get boring if we didn't have some crazy cars in the game also.

Well, I am glad that CG didn't want to continue reboots. They messed up MW 2012 and don't want to make the same mistake again. That new Ghost Studio might be hired by EA to make the reboots of NFS. IF so, I'd like to see a remake of High Stakes, which is my favourite NFS.

Latest Posts

Back