New physics (update 1.31)

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 594 comments
Then it means that either PD has to include a wheel setup with every GT7 purchased, or forced everyone to buy a wheel.
I am a controller user, I have tried ACC and that game IS DESIGNED for a wheel user whereas GT7 and previous editions of GT are controller friendly since GT1 so please dont say I'm not playing it as intended, please keep opinions to yourself and leave the facts to speak for themselves
The facts are you're getting a fraction of what the physics model is communicating with a controller, a physics model designed first and foremost for a wheel. Yes you can race somewhat competitively with a controller but you can't give an accurate and robust assessment of the physics model with controller experience only. That's a given

The facts are you're getting a fraction of what the physics model is communicating with a controller, a physics model designed first and foremost for a wheel. Yes you can race somewhat competitively with a controller but you can't give an accurate and robust assessment of the physics model with controller experience only. That's a given
You dont have FFB on your steering input, thats all that is missing. Then there is the added layer of steering interpolation, which counteracts the things you cant feel.
But all the other information are present on DualSense.

Man I'm messing with the new physics HEAVY right now.

I race with a lot of "race converted" street cars and Gr. 3 cars. The street cars, when tuned; have a little more grip and the physics and FFB update allows me to ACTUALLY correct fishtailing out or into a turn. I had to always baby the throttle constantly because I knew if I got oversteer, I wasn't going to catch it since it was so easy to overcorrect in the previous update versions.

Makes using "RM" street cars a lot more fun now for me.

Gr.3 cars feel a bit more unforgiving now and it's a lot easier to lose it and overshoot turns. Before it seemed as though everyone was able to just throw them straight into corners at full tilt. I think now a bit more brake and throttle control is needed to be fast now. Which I like.

Being quick feels more rewarding.

Also, FWIW, I play on both a T300RS wheel and DS5 Controller (For when I don't feel like plugging up the wheel) I have equally as much fun on the controller as I do on the wheel, however; the physics improvements are way more apparent when using a wheel.

Sorry but since you're on a wheel setup you can't understand the physics since your pedals don't give you feedback and vibration, your chair doesn't give you feedback and vibration, you don't get to experience th G forces as you play in your bedroom, sorry you just can't give an accurate response to a racing games physics then

If it is BoP enabled, it can always come down to that.
If it not BoP enabled, maybe the higher tyre traction is affecting fuel?
Never did this race, but in those I did, I cant see a difference (outside of BoP)
The 1hr spa is not a BoP race.

You strike me as the sort of person who wears a helmet whilst you play, and weigh yourself after a race

HI!
I'm new to the forum and I race with a g29 steering wheel
I wanted to ask your opinion on 4wd cars after the update
I can't get them to oversteer in power and I think this is not real
Too much understeer even for cars with many hp and 30/70 differential distribution
As a guy who makes YouTube vldeo explained to me, I'm wrong in driving and accelerating
I also wanted to hear your opinion if you use awd cars

Last edited:
Wow lots of butthurt coping mechanisms from controller players haha love to see it

Sorry but since you're on a wheel setup you can't understand the physics since your pedals don't give you feedback and vibration, your chair doesn't give you feedback and vibration, you don't get to experience th G forces as you play in your bedroom, sorry you just can't give an accurate response to a racing games physics then
I'm simply enjoying the fruits of PDs labour and the full experience of their FFB model, no need to introduce strawmen because you're upset.

Man I'm messing with the new physics HEAVY right now.

I race with a lot of "race converted" street cars and Gr. 3 cars. The street cars, when tuned; have a little more grip and the physics and FFB update allows me to ACTUALLY correct fishtailing out or into a turn. I had to always baby the throttle constantly because I knew if I got oversteer, I wasn't going to catch it since it was so easy to overcorrect in the previous update versions.

Makes using "RM" street cars a lot more fun now for me.

Gr.3 cars feel a bit more unforgiving now and it's a lot easier to lose it and overshoot turns. Before it seemed as though everyone was able to just throw them straight into corners at full tilt. I think now a bit more brake and throttle control is needed to be fast now. Which I like.

Being quick feels more rewarding.

Also, FWIW, I play on both a T300RS wheel and DS5 Controller (For when I don't feel like plugging up the wheel) I have equally as much fun on the controller as I do on the wheel, however; the physics improvements are way more apparent when using a wheel.
Well stated. What you mentioned about being able to "correct fishtailing" is the biggest improvement I've noticed and makes that experience much more realistic. Other than this, it's hard to put a finger on specifics, but it just "feels" better and more accurate, in comparison to real life as well as other sims I've used generally regarded to having among the best physics models - ACC and iRacing.

As to a lot of people complaining about the handling of "race cars", I think it's just in comparison to what it was before, which is natural for our brains to do. I've found that Gr.3 and other race cars are fine with the update model, but you do have to brake a little earlier (i.e. you can't "just throw it into the corner full tilt"), which once again, is probably more accurate and realistic.

Well after spending some time with it:

• Controller is a lot more enjoyable now. I did a few races on road cars and always felt in control of the car, usually when playing with controller I just do a lap or two to get footage for photo mode but this time I ended up doing the full races just because of how fun it was.
  • G29 FFB seems improved, some weird characteristics of the previous model like how the wheel feels when centering is still present, but I've found it communicates a lot more road detail now. FWIW ended up switching from 3-10 in the previous versions to 5-5 which someone suggested in another thread and it was better.
  • Could be placebo, but differences between cars now seem to actually translate better to the FFB. I've mostly noticed it with the Super Formula which now feels a lot more rigid when going at high speeds, to be honest I've never driven anything remotely close to a Super Formula car in real life so not sure it's realistic but at least it seems plausible.

To be clear, I don't think the FFB is still anything to write home about - if anything this only probably puts it at like, GT Sport level but there's still a noticeable gulf in detail when going from GT7 to any PC sim. PD really just needs to offer in-depth customization for each FFB setting like every other game instead of this vague "sensitivity" stuff they got going on.

I tried a couple of cars I used to use a lot today - the Merc CLK Gr 2, the Merc Black and the GTR Nismo 17 - not used them much because concentrating on the TT with the Alphard. Something seems to have changed with the steering - there seems to be loads more force feedback than before. Anyone else find this or did I just become much weaker over the last week or so???

Off topic, I think PD should make the PSVR2 in a helmet with surround sound built in.
More to go wrong imo then you'd need a whole new headset. Get the 3D pulse. It was designed to work with the psvr. The sound quality is unbeatable for the price especially for games that use Tempest 3D audio. I know exactly where a sound is coming from which I didn't think was possible without a proper 7.1 setup. Only downside is the battery life is a bit pants. It seems about the same as the dualsense so I just leave a usb C cable on the floor. Long enough to plug in either controller or headset while gaming. Then I just leave it plugged in with console on standby

Me too, time to sing: just the three of us and more.
It's really very annoying and turns to be quite frustrating all this changes every time.
If you have a regular life ( work , family,kids, etc.) is difficult to follow all these changes every time and start all over again.

On the other hand gt7 is very close to become.....
The real " griding" simulator .
Most of the people are looking tunes for the griding races and " glitch" cars for the usual suspect from Tokyo.
Bringing things upside down don't help at all anyway , one year after and still changing the pp the tyres, the behaviour of the cars and whatever.
Its a game ,not a continuous bug to fix it every time .
Hardcore players ,utubers etc, might find interesting all these changes but personally,i don't.

Maybe for YouTubers it's welcome. Some offered a lot of glitch tunes using the IR glitch (started with the AMG black series) even some days before the 1.31 update, where it was already obvious that it will be fixed. But clicks are clicks.

For the rest of us especially for those, who can't spend many hours in retunes every few months, it's just frustrating.

PD should recognize, that the game was sold too early and has to be improved. In order not to loose even the last fan they should find a solution for the effort of retunes.

The best feature to solve the problem would be to enable to share tunes like liveries.
This would make things easier.

Regards
M

I’m enjoying ABS Off with the classic cars. DS5 user and I don’t feel like the rear is going to send me into spectators. I used think about applying the brakes and I’d go off the track. Just an easy application was even worse. Now, it’s a joy that adds to the immersion.

Has anyone experimented with ABS Weak and its effect on tire wear? The Default feels horrible now and it seems to me that Weak feels more like the previous Default.
Do you have an update on this? I've been using ABS weak since the start. I just never thought about ABS default. Now wondering which one to use. Before trying it myself, wanted to see what are others experiencing post update 1.31.

Do you have an update on this? I've been using ABS weak since the start. I just never thought about ABS default. Now wondering which one to use. Before trying it myself, wanted to see what are others experiencing post update 1.31.

I've been using Weak since the update and like it much better than Default. I haven't noticed any tire wear issues either, despite having the odd lockup. Had some very solid results in a Nations race and a league race so I don't feel like I'm hurting myself.

Kind of waiting to see some evidence.

Maybe for YouTubers it's welcome. Some offered a lot of glitch tunes using the IR glitch (started with the AMG black series) even some days before the 1.31 update, where it was already obvious that it will be fixed. But clicks are clicks.

For the rest of us especially for those, who can't spend many hours in retunes every few months, it's just frustrating.

PD should recognize, that the game was sold too early and has to be improved. In order not to loose even the last fan they should find a solution for the effort of retunes.

The best feature to solve the problem would be to enable to share tunes like liveries.
This would make things easier.

Regards
M

Sharing tunes through the game is never gonna happen i guess.
Gt7 release very early , wasn't even close to a complete game .
From ps5 exclusive became ps4-ps5 platform, the availability of ps5 two years from launch was terrible and only at scalping prises ( call me budle ) , people was waiting and they provide us with what they had .
Whatever the reasons are , all these changes are frustrating for the casual and " normal" player .
Leaving aside the online part that i never try it yet, most new players are forced to an endless grid in order to " catch " up what game offers.
4 races become the substitute of the good old seasonals from gt6 era ,but back then was fun ,had variety ( huge ) and keep the interesting up ( and griding also ) in a entertaining way .

I think the way the game design and the path he follows,these changes will be for ever till gt8 announcement.

I've been doing some of the Clubman Plus events with some of the cars I normally main and I definitely like the physics update in 1.31.

Controller user here for the record btw.

The Clio V6 is now my go to for the Tsukuba race, literally on rails now. :lol:

Porsches are way more fun to drive, and mid engine cars won't backstab you without warning.

I've been using Weak since the update and like it much better than Default. I haven't noticed any tire wear issues either, despite having the odd lockup. Had some very solid results in a Nations race and a league race so I don't feel like I'm hurting myself.

Kind of waiting to see some evidence.

Tag wombleleader. He usually does these kinds of tests.

Whats the point of arguing wheel vs pad.

Wheel is the real deal, meant for serious driving and immersion, pad is for casual drive.

And no, pressing a button and flicking an analog stick will never be nowhere near immersive as the wheel no matter how 'improved' FFB and haptic on a pad is.

I have to say I am now happy with 1.31. It took a bit of getting used to, but the normal cars are much improved and I am adjusting to the different gr3 handling too.

Whats the point of arguing wheel vs pad.

Wheel is the real deal, meant for serious driving and immersion, pad is for casual drive.

And no, pressing a button and flicking an analog stick will never be nowhere near immersive as the wheel no matter how 'improved' FFB and haptic on a pad is.
There is one more difference between wheel vs controller: it's spending 1500 or 80 euros on a game. So I will have to make do with pressing buttons and flicking a stick.

There is one more difference between wheel vs controller: it's spending 1500 or 80 euros on a game. So I will have to make do with pressing buttons and flicking a stick.
The argument here is that with a wheel you have a better feel, while the pad makes players sad.
But I do say, the current version of the game has added lots of touch and I doubt there is now much of a difference except for the FFB kickback on steering input that the pad simply cant provide, while throttle, brakes, track and traction is very well implemented now.

Back