New physics (update 1.31)

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 594 comments
May as well throw racing softs on everything now, they wear so slowly and you still get good grip until the wear meter is down to 0

Road cars/sports tyres seem to have immensely improved traction, and race cars/tyres seem to have much less traction.
Overwhelmingly, everything I've driven now understeers like an absolute boat.

I don't like complaining about things right after they've changed because it just looks like whining about change but I really don't like this so far. Everything feels like a chore to drive, and now GT cars just have horrible entry understeer with exit oversteer to boot.
Totally agree. Have no idea why or what PD were thinking when they decided to screw with the GT cars. The 911RSR has always been famous for its sure footedness and ability to exit corners (stable and fast) thanks to the cars fabulous dynamics and years of pure engineering wizardry from Porsche. In one foul swoop... PD have utterly destroyed the RSR and just about every other GT car in the game.

Earlier today - 911RSR on RM tyres around Laguna Seca.., is now just bloody useless.

This update is a huge step backwards, IMO. Why can't they fix the things that need fixing instead of f#@kin with things that don't.
1. penalty system 2. weekly races - repetitive, getting boring and too few options (need at least 5) 3. BoP needs addressing properly - the differences should be more down to vehicle type (FR RR 4WD etc) instead of ridiculous variations in weight and horse power, which just produces a few blatant meta cars 4. update the damned cars! Seriously... they are Sooooooo old.

Totally agree. Have no idea why or what PD were thinking when they decided to screw with the GT cars. The 911RSR has always been famous for its sure footedness and ability to exit corners (stable and fast) thanks to the cars fabulous dynamics and years of pure engineering wizardry from Porsche. In one foul swoop... PD have utterly destroyed the RSR and just about every other GT car in the game.

Earlier today - 911RSR on RM tyres around Laguna Seca.., is now just bloody useless.

This update is a huge step backwards, IMO. Why can't they fix the things that need fixing instead of f#@kin with things that don't.
1. penalty system 2. weekly races - repetitive, getting boring and too few options (need at least 5) 3. BoP needs addressing properly - the differences should be more down to vehicle type (FR RR 4WD etc) instead of ridiculous variations in weight and horse power, which just produces a few blatant meta cars 4. update the damned cars! Seriously... they are Sooooooo old.
I don't agree with this at all. The physics are much improved. It seems some people really enjoyed the brute force possibilities on corners, I have no understeer at all and I'm on a controller, which is worse, cars feel much more natural, and realistic, including Porsches

I don't agree with this at all. The physics are much improved. It seems some people really enjoyed the brute force possibilities on corners, I have no understeer at all and I'm on a controller, which is worse, cars feel much more natural, and realistic, including Porsches
Yes. I don't see why would anyone who's ever driven a car irl think it was better before the update. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's a hell of a lot better now. The update was very much needed and it has made the game much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Yes. I don't see why would anyone who's ever driven a car irl think it was better before the update. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's a hell of a lot better now. The update was very much needed and it has made the game much more enjoyable.
Personally, I think GT needs a sim mode and a less sim/arcade mode. I'd never use the latter but the game has such wide appeal that they can't please everyone.

Idk.

I jumped on the controller for an hour the other day. Hadn’t driven with a controller since the game came out, and after about 30 minutes getting reacquainted with the controls. I found the physics were conveyed pretty decently through the DS5. The car did everything I expected it to, just the same as it does through my wheel. I honestly forgot how good of a job PD has done with controller implementation.

I honestly think it’s just a matter of people getting used to the new physics.

It's always a matter of this but the more "realistic" it is the easier it is to get used to it. The game also needs to know whether you're using a wheel or a gamepad.

At the beginning of GT7 I thought the physics were pretty easily adaptable, minus the ridiculous rear end handling. Mid-engined cars were impossible to drive and the Porsches were useless for me on gamepad. I started settling for TCS 1 all the time which I've never done before. The new tire model seems to have calmed down this behavior quite a bit, and despite reducing TCS 1's effectiveness some of the cars still seem better balanced and easier to drive.

Idk.

I jumped on the controller for an hour the other day. Hadn’t driven with a controller since the game came out, and after about 30 minutes getting reacquainted with the controls. I found the physics were conveyed pretty decently through the DS5. The car did everything I expected it to, just the same as it does through my wheel. I honestly forgot how good of a job PD has done with controller implementation.

Thank you for the honesty

Wheel driver with VR2 here.
Sport tire grip seems to have been improved, but vehicle dynamics have also been tweaked for a considerable amount of understeer to be dialed in now (which hurts some cars like the 02 Viper GTS, Camaro ZL1 and helped others like the 991 911 and Ferrari F8 and F12).
Snap-oversteer and slides are easier to catch now and feels closer to real life sliding around on a 200 treadwear tire.
Of course I now need to re-tune the suspension and diff settings on the majority of my cars to combat the increased understeer, but that's part of the fun and no different then the tweaks you make in real life for different types of tires.

I haven't spent much time driving the GT3/GT4 cars since this update dropped, but the two biggest things that struck me immediately was how much understeer there now was in every single car. Race tires feel like they need more time to warm-up to get the most out of them as well.
Overall I think it is a good upgrade, but as with the last couple of physics upgrades it will take some time to get used to and some people will adapt faster than others.

Last edited:
The Porsches feel fantastic, so much closer to what I've experienced in the other sim titles.

I haven't spent much time driving the GT3/GT4 cars since this update dropped, but the two biggest things that struck me immediately was how much understeer there now was in every single car. Race tires feel like they need more time to warm-up to get the most out of them as well.
Overall I think it is a good upgrade, but as with the last couple of physics upgrades it will take some time to get used to and some people will adapt faster than others.

Honestly I don't think the group cars understeer more, just that they (like all cars) focus more on braking before turning and that apex coasting is your friend.

100% agree on oversteer being more manageable and catchable. Overall with the FFB improvements I think the physics are starting to come closer to what you'd drive in the real world. A bit to go but becoming more refined.

I will say that the way the supra turns is hilarious now at the moment, it does wash wide but my gosh and the buff the RS 01 got is sort of crazy from where that car was...

Being slower doesn't mean anything. For example, it happened in the ACC 1.8 update also, but that doesn't mean it's bad, but more real.

It's not about lap times, but simulation as close as possible.

New physics affect all drivers, so everybody going to be slower, the key is who is going to adapt it faster, coz at the end we all will.
I understand but its a bit disappointing after spending hours turning road cars to actually perform only to start all over again😫

Yeah, that pretty much turns the feedback into an on/off switch (hyperbole).
Ffb torque = how heavy you want the heaviest feedback to be. General advice is to put it to the highest setting that your wheel can handle before clipping. Example I use 5 (still some clipping but not much), and lets say my Csl Elite max force = the max force comunicated by ingame setting 5. Then if I would set ingame to 10, everything from 50-100% force/weight would be clipping (feel the same). Kinda works like a compressor.

Sens kinda work the other way round, higher setting raise the weight/feel from the small/light effects comunicated to the wheel.
10 = least dynamic
1 = most dynamic
Personally I use Sens:1 for my Csl Elite. Because I like the feedback as dynamic as possible.
Though if you use a weak wheel base, you might need to sacrifice some of the dynamics in the feedback, if you can’t feel the lower/lighter forces comunicated from the road. But imo the higher settings just makes it feel like a damper squeezing all feedback together to make everything feel the same.
I have t300 which has been on 5 torque 6 sensitivity for 2 years with update 1.31 all my road cars turn like a tractor
I think it broke my wheel

Last edited by a moderator:
So just for some perspective.. I just got GT7 last night. I had not touched my setup in about 6 months or so before the other night when I played GT Sport again.

Anyways, I played a little GT Sport the other day and when I jumped into GT7 and setup everything the same (T300 3 torque and 7 sensitivity) and it felt very similar. I only have tried the music intro with the classic Porsche and the first 3 intro cars.. but I was doing some of the GT Sport campaign races I had not done with the slower FF hatchbacks and Kei cars so its rather close on vehicle type.

Maybe they reverted to what they left GT Sport at for FFB levels?

I am on ps4 pro with T300 if that matters.

Last edited:
In my opinion i think the update is good for folks who are no good at tuning or driving road cars.for those of us who spent hours tuning undrivable cars to the become absolute monsters the update is a fail.Because now we have to all over😫

In my opinion i think the update is good for folks who are no good at tuning or driving road cars.for those of us who spent hours tuning undrivable cars to the become absolute monsters the update is a fail.Because now we have to all over😫
What? The update was good because the physics got better. Now driving (and tuning) is more realistic. Nothing to do with skills.

Last edited:
Wrong thread whoops. I found it very easy to adapt to the physics it was just like driving a new car. I could see it frustrating if you have invested a lot of time into knowing a particular car and tune and now it’s like that car you tuned is no longer in the game.

Last edited:
How do you like the new physics of cars? I launched the game today, and I feel like I haven't played GT7 for 400 hours, but launched it for the first time. About 10 days ago I was getting acquainted with the tracks, trying to improve the result to gold (or silver), it seemed to work out well. Now I'm running and re-gasing on GT2, GT3, GT4. They used to be very stable, now you need to get used to it. Although I like physics, as if I got into a new game.
I kind of like the new physics better because everyone knows that, in real life, if you abuse the tires grip limit they will whine until they're gone. Before, I was quicker, but moments were way far unpredictable.
I think there should be an arcade physics model for an arcade mode for those who love it and a simulation physics model for simulation mode.
For sports mode, there should be arcade lobbies and simulation lobbies, I think everyone would be happy.
Also, IMO, Sophy is just a gimmick and a marketing stunt. PD should use AI programming for improving the penalty system. AI stewards would be more useful for players than unbearable (edit: I meant unbeatable, but that works as well) racers..

Last edited:
Personally, I think GT needs a sim mode and a less sim/arcade mode. I'd never use the latter but the game has such wide appeal that they can't please everyone.

It does. Just turn on all the assists and wham you have yourself a sim/arcade mode.
I kind of like the new physics better because everyone knows that, in real life, if you abuse the tires grip limit they will whine until they're gone. Before, I was quicker, but moments were way far unpredictable.
I think there should be an arcade physics model for an arcade mode for those who love it and a simulation physics model for simulation mode.
For sports mode, there should be arcade lobbies and simulation lobbies, I think everyone would be happy.
Also, IMO, Sophy is just a gimmick and a marketing stunt. PD should use AI programming for improving the penalty system. AI stewards would be more useful for players than unbearable (edit: I meant unbeatable, but that works as well) racers..

I beat every Sophy race and I'm not even that good... It's an amazing project that makes racing solo more exciting.

It does. Just turn on all the assists and wham you have yourself a sim/arcade mode.
Sure but when those players intermingle, it's chaos.
I hate that cheaters and players who have no desire to exhibit any level of race-craft can act with impunity because of those assists.

As an example, I'd much rather countersteer not be available in this hypothetical sim mode. Why? Because players like Kimi can run you off of the road and maintain control because they're abusing these training wheels (assists).

Last edited:
I don't really like the idea of 2 different options for the physics. It adds a lot of complexity for no reason.

I have to agree. But it is hard to please both pool of players, controller and wheel, I mean, with the same physics.

They do and don't get the same physics, what controller players get is more compensation in inputs and arguably much better braking help however wheel users get a little less but have "access" to more fidelity.

Everyone's mileage varies with these things and there are people way beyond my ability both on wheels and controllers.

So to be fair PD have balanced them pretty well with no clear favourite.

At the end of the day it's decision making that is the biggest factor, when to brake, when to look inside etc not what you are using to do that.

I beat every Sophy race and I'm not even that good... It's an amazing project that makes racing solo more exciting.
Good for you 👍 I have beat it too and it sucked because it still feels artificial in many ways.
Improving AI racing is very important, but the penalty system should be top priority IMO.

the only thing i have an issue with is that i use the brake zone aid and after the physics update 1.31 almost all of them are shorter than they should be, ie. i am braking later in each turn if i was to use the zone feature (and i do NOT want to hear anything about my use of this because i race my way and i am not as good as most of you)

the only thing i have an issue with is that i use the brake zone aid and after the physics update 1.31 almost all of them are shorter than they should be, ie. i am braking later in each turn if i was to use the zone feature (and i do NOT want to hear anything about my use of this because i race my way and i am not as good as most of you)
Yup. I had the braking zone on for the new Nurburgring "Endurance" race and noticed that 90% of them start basically at the apex.

Some very interesting tactics, PD.

Last edited:
The new physics are absolutely awful. Spa 1 hour is an ice rink. IM tires last 1 lap tops even with water on the track. Wets last longer but there again...ice rink. And whatever bug causes your car to stop spinning facing backwards more often than not is back.
I used to be able to win that race in any number of cars on any difficulty, blazing out 27 laps in some of them. Now I can barely keep up on easy.
I was considering the PSVR2, but not now, not for such a broken game. My opinion of GT7 is now one star if that. It would be different if we knew from the get go it was tough as nails like the original Crisis Core or E.T., but one month it's super easy, the next month it's just absurd. There needs to be some consistency.
I've got two cars left to buy ATM for a total of 1.8 million. If I'm to keep playing past that, it better cough up a Martin invite, otherwise that's it for me until they undo the mistakes they made this last time around. And yes, that includes the brake zones, at this point they are worthless save for a reference point like the track markers.
This update sucks.

Last edited:
Can anyone else get the tyres to lock and go red under non ABS braking? I get massive screech, telemetry app shows wheel lock but there's no temp gain. Whereas power wheelspin or cornering too fast gives the expected temp rise. Weird.

Back