New physics (update 1.31)

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 594 comments
Russian Federation
Russian Federation
How do you like the new physics of cars? I launched the game today, and I feel like I haven't played GT7 for 400 hours, but launched it for the first time. About 10 days ago I was getting acquainted with the tracks, trying to improve the result to gold (or silver), it seemed to work out well. Now I'm running and re-gasing on GT2, GT3, GT4. They used to be very stable, now you need to get used to it. Although I like physics, as if I got into a new game.

I'm one of the few people that steers with the directional pad (I don't like Sony's placement of the left analog stick on their controllers) and unfortunately, the new physics has made it much harder for me to control the car.
Inputs are much more sensitive now, even when controller steering sensitivity is turned all the way down.
Guess I'll either have to get used to this twitchy steering over time, or practice using the motion sensor... :guilty:

There is definitely less grip. The traction advantage of the 911 GT3 is gone. Seems closer to original release. Kerbs are marginally better. I can get through the exit of the chicane of death is a bit less bouncy but it's still a lottery. My boycott of dragon trail will continue.

Road cars/sports tyres seem to have immensely improved traction, and race cars/tyres seem to have much less traction.
Overwhelmingly, everything I've driven now understeers like an absolute boat.

I don't like complaining about things right after they've changed because it just looks like whining about change but I really don't like this so far. Everything feels like a chore to drive, and now GT cars just have horrible entry understeer with exit oversteer to boot.

Road cars/sports tyres seem to have immensely improved traction, and race cars/tyres seem to have much less traction.

I don't like complaining about things right after they've changed because it just looks like whining about change but I really don't like this so far. Everything feels like a chore to drive, and now GT cars just have horrible entry understeer with exit oversteer to boot.
That sucks. The GT cars already understeered like crazy and now it's worse?

Not sure I like the "new physics", I only tried my trusty 787b on Sardegna so far, and it feels like the front tyres are covered with soap - massive understeer, maybe salvageable with different tuning, maybe not.
Either way, I'm a bit tired of permanently re-tuning and re-learning how to drive.

Why did they fix (again) what wasn't really broken (while things like splitscreen MP still is broken after more than a year)?

Also, my PP has gotten significantly smaller.

Last edited:
Not sure I like the "new physics", I only tried my trusty 787b on Sardegna so far, and it feels like the front tyres are covered with soap - massive understeer, maybe salvageable with different tuning, maybe not.
Either way, I'm a bit tired of permanently re-tuning and re-learning how to drive.

Why did they fix (again) what wasn't really broken (while things like splitscreen MP still is broken after more than a year)?

Also, my PP has gotten significantly smaller.

Maybe take that extra PP and apply it to your front aero.

First time im with you. That patch ruins all goods we had so far. This is partwise wors then the release behave.
That update prove that there is no Q&A at all.
Massive stutter during race vrr off and on.
Cars feeling is the wors ever 🤬

Looks like ARB tweaking is in order. Seems not to need so much difference between front and back anymore. Went from 6 front 4 back for my goto ViperGTS tune to 5 front 4 back. Also some minor toe tweaking

Last edited:
I've not been playing GT7 for long (Started when VR2 released) but have been grinding Sardegna 800 for cash. I just got beaten after patch by the GR Supra Racing Concept 18 by 35sec, more than 45 sec in front of 2nd AI 57sec in front of the Viper...

I thought I was driving poorly as the car didn't like to turn the corners anymore. Then when I realised I was 1/2 a lap behind #1 after passing the Pits I couldn't believe it.

I really don't understand why game developers make extensive changes to games that have been out for so long.

Edit: Gr 1 detuned. But the most concerning thing for me is the fact I have never seen the Supra in top 2 AI in my races.

Last edited:
So far I can only comment on Gr. 3 and 2. Group 3 feels like a lot of weight has been added, which has slowed them down, but the handling feels a little more stable to me, especially MR cars which has a significant improvement in my opinion. I've also tried traction control and noticed there isn't as much time lost as before which I think is way more realistic especially for gr 3.

First time im with you. That patch ruins all goods we had so far. This is partwise wors then the release behave.
That update prove that there is no Q&A at all.
Massive stutter during race vrr off and on.
Cars feeling is the wors ever 🤬
Yeah it's really putting me off playing. It's just not fun to drive a car that doesn't turn.
I can deal with a twitchy rear end but when I'm also fighting to make the car to turn in the first place it just becomes tedious.

I don't know what was wrong with the old physics model, I felt like it was in a good place.
A lot of the problems stemmed from steering inputs (I do agree with you that they made controller harder with high-downforce cars btw, it just never came up in conversation between us) or car setups, and could be tuned out from individual fixes by PD rather than an entire overhaul.
This just felt like they changed everything for the sake of changing everything.

Everything feels like a chore to drive, and now GT cars just have horrible entry understeer with exit oversteer to boot.
This sounds horrible! It’s also incredibly unrealistic. The rest of the responses in this thread are also leading me to believe that I’m not going to be happy playing GT7 after this update.

I do one test first thing every new physics update - I try to drive the F1 Mclaren Gr3 in a sport quali lap. Since the games release, I’ve gotten through various stages of a lap before the car simply dies coming into or out of a turn. I’ve ratcheted up different assists etc it’s always the same.

Imagine my surprise when, with racing soft tires (first time in my testing history), the car didn’t even make it to the starting point of the TT. I tried a couple times without tinkering with assists but the same essential problem is there.

The comfort and sport tires are much better as others noted. race a is kind of a good example - the bus can handle that last turn much better. Also, it seems like (for now) Gr4 is a little more wide open. The Ferrari felt like driving a Ferrari, whatever clunky weight distribution they had seems to be better now.

And the wheel settings will throw some people off, I’d just recalibrate everything before really jumping in

Update Edit: The assists feel like they’ve all been changed as well. TCS 1 doesn’t totally neuter the cars, ABS almost feels too strong now, haven’t messed with TSM. I have a lot of my cars set to min acceleration setting and they now require TCS to stop from blowing up out of the corner. And low set up on suspension now causes more of the cars to scrape / not turn.

Last edited:
Yeah it's really putting me off playing. It's just not fun to drive a car that doesn't turn.
I can deal with a twitchy rear end but when I'm also fighting to make the car to turn in the first place it just becomes tedious.

I don't know what was wrong with the old physics model, I felt like it was in a good place.
A lot of the problems stemmed from steering inputs (I do agree with you that they made controller harder with high-downforce cars btw, it just never came up in conversation between us) or car setups, and could be tuned out from individual fixes by PD rather than an entire overhaul.
This just felt like they changed everything for the sake of changing everything.
Yep agree, a twitchy rearend is always controlable but this, i dont know what they thought. Finaly they fix the controller with this update and it really feels good, responsive and then this happens…

Last edited:
I'm one of the few people that steers with the directional pad (I don't like Sony's placement of the left analog stick on their controllers) and unfortunately, the new physics has made it much harder for me to control the car.
Inputs are much more sensitive now, even when controller steering sensitivity is turned all the way down.
Guess I'll either have to get used to this twitchy steering over time, or practice using the motion sensor... :guilty:
Urrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I predicted this yesterday, I said they would fix the road cars and murder the GT cars, sure as hell that's what they've done. This is an issue given all i drive are GT cars.

Latest Posts

Back