New physics (update 1.31)

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 594 comments
More evidence that the physics has been dumbed down to make it friendly for people without any car control, the pit exit on a wet track (up to the 2nd bar) has just as much grip as driving in the dry. That definitely wasn't the case before so must've come in the oversteer removal update:

More evidence that the physics has been dumbed down to make it friendly for people without any car control, the pit exit on a wet track (up to the 2nd bar) has just as much grip as driving in the dry. That definitely wasn't the case before so must've come in the oversteer removal update:

Oversteer is still there but it's much more realistic now. You can actually feel the rear tires start spinning before it's too late. Correcting a slide feels more natural because the physics and FFB are closer to real life now. Driving feels super satisfying after the update, not because it's easier or harder but because it's more realistic. I'm using a wheel though, don't know how it's like with a controller.

Last edited:
Oversteer is still there but it's much more realistic now. You can actually feel the rear tires start spinning before it's too late. Correcting a slide feels more natural because the physics and FFB are closer to real life now. Driving feels super satisfying after the update. I'm using a wheel though, don't know how it's like with a controller.
The oversteer is there when you're on the power (and feels very satisfying because the car breaks traction but in a predictable way which is easy to catch) but on a controller at least is totally gone when you're braking or off-throttle no matter how silly you're driving, since the update I haven't had a single spin that wasn't caused intentionally (driving on the grass, etc).

Woefully I've not been as dedicated to this game as past iterations, though despite being a lowly DS4 user, I would dare to put my 2 sense worth of experience about the new physics. I have to concur about braking duration being lengthened due to more understeer for some race cars. Well it feels more pronounced, I've always felt it difficult to rotate race cars under lowspeeds in GT7 from the off set. Also there is the fact my pad might be getting quite old, it's my third DS4 and ever since GT5 GT games are usually the cause of death for my L3 sticks. They'll show early signs of degradation such as a drop in sensitivity before malfunctioning completely.

Road cars feel alot more stable especially under braking. Some cars really tended to get lose and veer of into directions without my consent under braking at times before the update. [Mind you, I drive alot of them stock with SH's sometimes lower grades]

Too bad lobbies are still not at an acceptable standard.

Last edited:
One other thing I noticed about the new physics. Was running the Spa 800 event, and there is much more nuanced feedback from the slick pavement when it's wet. You really feel it when you're losing grip and starting to hydroplane. It makes it much easier to go faster in the wet with confidence you can take corrective action in time and not spin out if your grip is slipping.

At La Sarthe it’s still slippery when it’s wet, so I’m guessing it’s a fix specific to Spa, because of the corners you are required to negotiate before rejoining the circuit.

At La Sarthe it’s still slippery when it’s wet, so I’m guessing it’s a fix specific to Spa, because of the corners you are required to negotiate before rejoining the circuit.
Makes sense from a gaming standpoint, just seems a curious choice to have some service-people running the exit of the pit with a hot-air-blower :D

Did La Sarthe in the RS5. When the track surface indicator rose to just under 3/4, the slicks were really off. Frustrating, but good. Glad I can’t just drive around like it’s dry.

Also, when I was doing Time trials at Bathurst, the cars on Comfort tyres felt more real. Didn’t feel like like I was on ice. Honestly, I mainly drive cars set Up with slicks. Pleasant surprise I could steer wherever and not be worried with Gran Turismo 1-GT Sport Tyre skating at every corner. 👍

Could also be that not all tracks are created equal. Different surfaces and different levels of grip even in similar conditions. La Sarthe is also a public road whereas Spa is a purpose built race track. Same could be said about Bathurst.

Last edited:
Could also be that not all tracks are created equal. Different surfaces and different levels of grip even in similar conditions. La Sarthe is also a public road whereas Spa is a purpose built race track. Same could be said about Bathurst.
That’s possible as well. Kaz has confirmed they(PD) have recorded track surface data at each real circuit.
Which means we finally get this confirmed from an old interview:

“Kazunori made one particularly interesting comment about surface traction. Polyphony’s capture teams do collect traction data from the tarmac surfaces of the tracks which they scan. However, variable surface traction is not currently modeled in Gran Turismo Sport. The fact they do have this information is noteworthy and suggests that it might be something we see in Gran Turismo in the future.”

In a thread about making old cars feel old, a discussion of tyres came up. I suggested since PD have this track surface data, we may see them do away with multipliers. Just as a thought, if PD have the data of say, Interlagos is more abrasive than Bathurst, we would know soft tyres wear quicker at Interlagos. The main factor would be track surface temp or ambient temp, however PD want to program it. Thus, we wouldn’t need to have 20x wear.

Fuel could factor in by quicker lap times. The faster you go, do to more grip, the more fuel is burned. Even when wear comes into play with spinning the wheels due to too much throttle. Again, however PD want to program it, the multiplier wouldn’t be needed.

here’s the interview https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ur-of-polyphony-digital.390761/#post-12922379

I have to say the Intermediate tires wear far to quickly now. In slight wet conditions (just under the first bar of the indicator) they last just one lap on Le Mans 700 30 minute race.
Previously, they lasted too long and people just drove the race on IMs. That wasn't good. But now they just melt away, even if the track isn't dry. PD have overdone this, and it should be partly reversed.

I have to say the Intermediate tires wear far to quickly now. In slight wet conditions (just under the first bar of the indicator) they last just one lap on Le Mans 700 30 minute race.
Previously, they lasted too long and people just drove the race on IMs. That wasn't good. But now they just melt away, even if the track isn't dry. PD have overdone this, and it should be partly reversed.
I would guess that’s about right, if it’s wearing as fast as the weather is changing. I understand it’s still “not right”, but maybe more accurate tHan before.

I use to run on intermediate tyres and non stop cars at Lemans,but now ain't gonna happen again.
PD went from one side to another, now they can last only two laps or 3 if tarmac is wet enough.
Also the wear from car to car is different, usually other cars than Japan manufacturers wear tyres way faster even if is at the same group.

Have a question.

Has anyone else felt there has been more of a discrepancy in the physics between “Time Trials” and “Events” this update?

Laps in TT have always been a smidge faster than events on the same track, however I feel like it has extended to more than just acceleration/deceleration. Tunes that have been evaluated don’t “feel” quite the same.

For example, there was a car performing decently well in TT at Sardegna that felt stiff, unforgiving and more difficult to turn when brought to WTC 800.

Anyone else experienced this? Could be a fluke or maybe I’m going crazy

Last edited:
Have a question.

Has anyone else felt there has been more of a discrepancy in the physics between “Time Trials” and “Events” this update?

Laps in TT have always been a smidge faster than events on the same track, however I feel like it has extended to more than just acceleration/deceleration. Tunes that have been evaluated don’t “feel” quite the same.

For example, there was a car performing decently well in TT at Sardegna that felt stiff, unforgiving and more difficult to turn when brought to WTC 800.

Anyone else experienced this? Could be a fluke or maybe I’m going crazy

You're probably noticing the difference between tires with degradation and tires without.

Timetrial doenst use tyrewear and an "empty" tank. Events usually start with cold but fresh tyres and a full tank.

@Magog @Meythia

Interesting, thanks for chiming in.

I’m aware of the tire condition but didn’t think at first that’s what was going on because I didn’t have issues pre update. The fuel weight didn’t even cross my mind and could be affecting balance. So possibly it’s a combination of the two making the difference between TT and the Event more apparent than before. The changes to the tires effect on the turning and handling characteristics this update are very different, even before wear is added to the equation.

Before 1.31, TT was not quite the same speed wise as first couple laps or after the pits in the event. It felt more or less the same though. I also have no idea how they factor in any tire warmup and brake heating

Last edited:
of course this makes sense 😅

The intermediate tyre wear on 030 after 3 laps in rainy weather is outstanding, you hardly notice the wear .
IMG_20230409_184059708_HDR.jpg

So as long as my tires are still in good shape I should be able to go faster every lap?
Your next lap after the pit out lap usually should be the fastest as you have warmed up tyres and less fuel on board.
But this only applies if you were solo driving, otherwise yes, if you had unlimited perfect tyres and fuel consumption is enabled, as long as you nail the lines every following lap should be faster than the previous one.

Your next lap after the pit out lap usually should be the fastest as you have warmed up tyres and less fuel on board.
But this only applies if you were solo driving, otherwise yes, if you had unlimited perfect tyres and fuel consumption is enabled, as long as you nail the lines every following lap should be faster than the previous one.
Meythia, are the tires in time trials ever warmed up if there’s no wear or is it just a constant cold tire every lap or are they set to run as if already warmed up? Curious how that works with the brakes as well.

Last edited:
I think the car is considered to be in perfect condition all time, but I am not sure, havent done too much of TT at all to be able to compare TT with event times.

It's weird that isn't mentioned anywhere in the game but I guess that's PD being PD. Does anyone know if GT has always taken fuel weight into account and if not what game was the first one that did?

It's weird that isn't mentioned anywhere in the game but I guess that's PD being PD. Does anyone know if GT has always taken fuel weight into account and if not what game was the first one that did?
GT5, as far as I'm aware.

GT4 had fuel but I'm 99% sure it wasn't actually simulated, it just made your car go slow when empty.

GT5, as far as I'm aware.

GT4 had fuel but I'm 99% sure it wasn't actually simulated, it just made your car go slow when empty.
Whether, or not fuel weight was accurately simulated in GT4, I don't know. I know it definetly had an effect, on performance as it was consumed. I can remember running the 24 hour races, Le Mans specifically, and noticing improved performance, i.e. acceleration, top speed, and handling improving as fuel was consumed and "lessing" the weight of the vehicle.

As far as the physics update in GT7, the little I've played since, I can say at least for the GR 3 cars I've driven, they seem much more drivable with the throttle, and the traction control, which I don't use, but have tried in certain situations, seems infinetly better.

Last edited:
Back