New physics (update 1.31)

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 594 comments
RM's get a ton more life in them. You can now finish Sardegna WTC800 with 1 set of RM's and have good life in them left. Fuel consumption seems to be better too. I'm getting 11 laps done from 1 fuel load, instead of the 8 I got before.
Haven't done any additional tuning to the car (SC430 GT500) for this race and feel it understeers just a tat more than before, but it can easily be ignored.
AI still hasn't been fixed and is as stupid as ever, especially when they get blue flags.

Some more findings
  • Even though they mentioned tweaks to the damping/compression I dont see a lot of difference playing around there.
  • Sport tires seem to have more grip. Testing around if I can drop to harder tires (say from Soft to Medium) and add more power.
Right on 👊

To be honest, using directional buttons is highly inconvenient, so you're shooting yourself in the leg with this.

With physics like these, ON/OFF steering is not conventional at all.

I'm offended that anyone would try to use the d pad for steering then complain about handling. Move your thumb one inch to the right. The thumbstick won't bite. I promise.

For one single crash ?

I just did a race there an touched the barriers once at Mulsanne a git the usual 1,5 seconds...
For 1 single offense, yes. I went off in heavy rain, with no grip at all. Went into the gravel pit and got 13,5 seconds for it. Proceeded the race, slid off into the next gravel pit at the end of the straight and got another penalty, adding up to 35 seconds. I haven't even touched a barrier at either situation.

Track limit penalties for going off track without even taking an advantage is not what track limit penalties are for. I've never seen track limits in corners with gravel pits ever, simply because you never gain an advantage for going over the limits.
I doubt PD even knows when and how track limits are applied.

I'm a bit hesitant to lean all in, re-tune my face cars and try and get used to the new physics, only to have it "fixed" (or rolled back entirely) again in a month or 2.

Especially since we never know if the changes are really intended or if they broke something while fixing something else.

Last edited:
Anyone care to test drive the Gr.3 458 for me and see if it still is a PITA to drive?

I’m at work till Saturday 😑
I'm trying it right now in Daily Race C, quali, RS tyres. It drives like a dream, excellent traction, no fish tailing, really stable under braking, less power understeer, almost no lift off oversteer. It's similar to the 911 pre-update, but with less power understeer.
The negative side of this is that they DESTROYED its top end with new BOP. It just doesn't go, new BOP for mid-speed is 482BHP and 1.340kg, an absolute piece of *****.

Last edited:
Just tried the F40 and 918 at Tsukuba on a controller.

With the previous physics you could really throw the cars around and generate crazy angles. Yet still (unrealistically) be able to catch 'em.

Now, the road cars certainly have more understeer at mid-to-high speeds. But it only takes a modest dialing back of your entry speeds to counter this and hit your lines. The other really big difference I found was in the slower speed corners and hairpins. As you reduce speed, the grip comes back in spades, and feels very progressive. Actually feels like your front tyres are in contact with the road.

Oh, and the revised 918 now feels incredibly quick!

Edit, just did the Le Mans 700pp event with a heavily detuned 787B (no special set-up other than getting down to 700pp).

This car definitely feels better, less understeer which is very noticeable in the Porsche Curves and complex. On the Mulsanne, was moving between lanes, and once again you can feel the front tyres and how progressive the steering is. There is more heft to all the cars. Feels like you're driving a 1 Ton+ machine, when previously it could almost feel like a go-kart.

Again, using controller as I don't have my wheel set-up.

Last edited:
For 1 single offense, yes. I went off in heavy rain, with no grip at all. Went into the gravel pit and got 13,5 seconds for it. Proceeded the race, slid off into the next gravel pit at the end of the straight and got another penalty, adding up to 35 seconds. I haven't even touched a barrier at either situation.

Track limit penalties for going off track without even taking an advantage is not what track limit penalties are for. I've never seen track limits in corners with gravel pits ever, simply because you never gain an advantage for going over the limits.
I doubt PD even knows when and how track limits are applied.
Try it again...i just did, an for just going into the gravel(at the hairpin on the end of Muselanne in heavy rain) I got no penalty at all...

Try it again...i just did, an for just going into the gravel(at the hairpin on the end of Muselanne in heavy rain) I got no penalty at all...
I just did. This time no penalties indeed 👀. I went off exactly the same way as earlier today and no penalties were issued this time. So, I tried other limits I know and got 0.5s for a corner cut, which is normal again.
I already thought those previous numbers were way too high. Even in real races, they don't dish out 10 seconds for slight offenses.
Weird stuff. I was about to bin Sarthe as a grind race and go back to Sardegna to grab credits.

Happy it's normal again. I was afraid this would turn into Granny Turismo, the real driving miss Daisy simulator.

Last edited:
Is there a bug with gr3 cars on controller? Borderline undriveable on RM even. Monumental understeer and it's like the brakes are off a morris minor. What the HECK is going on???? I'm like 8 seconds a lap slower around seaside regular direction. Gotta be a bug, this cannot be for real.

Can't put my finger on exactly why the super formula feels even better now but it does. You can attack every corner with confidence and pop out the other side carrying even more speed possibly.

I've been extremely critical of PD and their handling of the physics, but it seems better in every way imaginable. Really quite impressed! The bugs that had been plaguing older cars that couldn't receive rear downforce are gone, so all the 50's roadsters are once again drivable. Plus we got three awesome cars in the two Porsche's (never thought we'd actually get the 959! That was one of my short wishlist cars!) and the incredible new Audi RS. We needed more Gr. 2 cars.

Best update to the game since launch; it feels like a new a game and there is much more character in individual cars that was previously muted. Kudos PD!

Sounds like I have to tweak my NSX tune.

ace-ventura.gif

Jerome

Road cars are 100% improved , there was something off about them for a while.
I could not disagree more.

This "physics" has unwanted helpers pushing the car around everywhere. It's terrible. The physics needed a little work, yes, because curbing was unrealistically problematic, and there were so many over steer problems. Now, it's just garbage.

You can feel the game trying to put the car where it thinks you want it to go. They may have fixed some issues, but they added unnecessary helpers and the feeling it terrible.

How anyone thinks this is an improvement is beyond me

R3V
As much as I hate the rear grip being broken, I don't want them to sacrifice the lively front end to fix it. Nor do I want them to over-stabilize the car under braking. I love trailbraking in this game more than any other.
Looks like this happened. If anything I wanted the cars to loosen up under braking, not stabilize too much.
Over reactions as usual. If you want to tune your car back to the way it was before increase the diff on initial torque and acceleration and decrease it on braking.
I don't want to tune a car ever. Especially road cars. We're not all teenagers with unlimited hours or adults with only 1 hobby to put all our time into it.

edit

To clarify, this was about ABS not the physics/geometry.

Last edited:
Anyone uses a G29 wheel? Feels like the FFB became a lot worse!?
Feels 100x better on my TGT-2, much more feedback from the road.

Paradoxically I would imagine you need to turn down your settings for a wheel like the G29 now; if you are receiving more detail then you'll have to turn it down so you can actually receive the feedback rather than it all just going "over capacity" and feeling like nothing.

Back