New to Forza

• Thread starter ozirules
  • 55 comments
. . . The online play [aside from private lobbies] is the worst I have ever played. It had much potential but failed.

+1 They screwd up online so bad. I had a blast playing online in FM2. After I bought FM3 I got 1 month of gold to have fun, and I didn't even end up playing through the whole month. It was lame. :indiff:

Personally I played FM2 online one day and went out and bought a 360 and the game. I pre-ordered the VIP of FM3 with high hopes but sad to say the game was a huge dissapointment. The carrer mode is bland and boring. The online play [aside from private lobbies] is the worst I have ever played. It had much potential but failed.

What is so bad about carrer mode?

I loved Forza 1, and I seriously want to get a 360 and this game, especially if GT5 keeps delaying. The car selection in Forza 3 beats the car selection in any GT game so far by a long shot, IMO.

If you're looking to grab Forza 3, I'd probably wait until their Collectors Edition (or whatever it'll be called) drops with all of the Top Gear goodies. Forza 3 is still one of the best racing games I've played in a long, long time, with enough forward progress to satisfy me from the upgrade on Forza 2. I like the way the career mode is tiered into racing seasons, making you choose what events fit in your schedule. I like how balanced the online racing generally is as well.

All things considered, Turn 10 is putting out a fantastic franchise on a platform that deserves its own racing series. It's easy to make positive and negative comparisons with a game that doesn't even exist yet on another platform, but the simple fact is that right now, Forza 3 is the best title we have. Even if I liked GRID a lot. And hope they're making a GRID 2.

I'm not really sure where the problem with career mode being "boring" is either. You've got the seasons you can work through as YSSMAN just covered, or you can do it the more conventional way by picking any event from the list.

If anything, GT has the "boring" career mode. You pick a race based solely on your racing license and on whether you have a vehicle qualified for the race. Short of the racing license part, isn't that what the "Event List" part of Forza 3 is?

Thanks for the responses. I'll defenitely get a 360 and the Forza 3 Ultimate Edition once I get the money. I have a feeling I'll enjoy it, even after GT5 arrives. I'll still play both games together, just like I did with Forza 1 and GT4.

Now even I'm going to concede that you're just trolling.
Whatever trips your trigger son. 👍

As for Forza 3 getting boring...I have to admit, the last season and the 13 events seems like a long stretch. The 11 events in the 5th season is indeed a long term commitment. I tend to stretch the game out over the years instead of barreling into it full throttle day one and trying to finish it.

I have never found GT's career to be boring. In fact, I preferred it over Forza's.

Last edited:
For online play FM2 is head and shoulders above FM3 unless of course your focus is on drifting, thier idea of a drag race or cat and mouse. FM2 is also more competive in several classes.

As for DLC if you want this in FM2 you should look for the Platinum edition of the game as it includes all the dlc for less money than the DLC alone will cost you. With FM3 you should wait a few weeks and get the new bundled pack on it as well.

btw Replacing custom public lobbies with Hoppers is about the worst idea I have ever saw for a game. I loved the custom lobbies but hate the hoppers with a passion.

Can't wait for GT5, I just hope they get the online racing right. Forza 3 clearly did not.

Pretty much sums up my view on the matter. F3 really took a downturn now that M$ is stipulating hoppers and pulling the strings at turn10. We'll never get the CPL's back. Can't wait for GT5 to get here.

What is so bad about carrer mode?

I loved Forza 1, and I seriously want to get a 360 and this game, especially if GT5 keeps delaying. The car selection in Forza 3 beats the car selection in any GT game so far by a long shot, IMO.
FM3 Career mode is just flat out boring. Most of the races are way to easy. There is no incentive to run them, no record times to compare with others no prizes other than a small amount of money and the few gamer points you get if you finish them all.

Forza 2 career mode was not that great but at least they kept rankings on it and you could compare your race times with your friends and the top drivers plus you needed to run the races to unlock cars though most of the races were still to easy and it encouraged you to run the R1 race cars in as many as possible as the game gave higher payouts for using these cars where as GT4 encouraged you to run an under power POS in an effort to earn the 200 Spec Points in many races making them incredibly difficult.

FM3 is the only racer I have played much that I did not bother to complete career mode in. I literally found myself falling asleep at the wheel on some races. Boring is really a bit of an understatement I suppose.

Someone said the car line up was better than GT. I wonder what they were smoking? They almost force you to use AWD on every one of them to compete which is just stupid. The PI indexing is so far off and the production cars raised to race class get no real wings for DF and result in a R3 that is 50 mph faster than an R3 but can't go around a corner at half the speed of a true R3.

Forza 2 was better in both career and online modes. Where FM3 has more races in career and did add private lobbies a few more cars and better graphics.

BTW Forza does have 3 tracks that I love and have not seen anywhere else.
Maple Valley
Fujimi kiado
Rally Positano

I still log on to play these from time to time.

FM3 Career mode is just flat out boring. Most of the races are way to easy. There is no incentive to run them, no record times to compare with others no prizes other than a small amount of money and the few gamer points you get if you finish them all.
Out of curiosity, what racing game has the "benchmark" career mode that does all this?

Forza 2 career mode was not that great but at least they kept rankings on it and you could compare your race times with your friends and the top drivers plus you needed to run the races to unlock cars though most of the races were still to easy and it encouraged you to run the R1 race cars in as many as possible as the game gave higher payouts for using these cars where as GT4 encouraged you to run an under power POS in an effort to earn the 200 Spec Points in many races making them incredibly difficult.

FM3 is the only racer I have played much that I did not bother to complete career mode in. I literally found myself falling asleep at the wheel on some races. Boring is really a bit of an understatement I suppose.

Someone said the car line up was better than GT. I wonder what they were smoking? They almost force you to use AWD on every one of them to compete which is just stupid. The PI indexing is so far off and the production cars raised to race class get no real wings for DF and result in a R3 that is 50 mph faster than an R3 but can't go around a corner at half the speed of a true R3.
Do you really expect to be able to take a street car and modify it to run with real built-from-the-ground-up racecars? Just because you bolted on another 600hp and took out 800lbs from your Skyline R34 doesn't mean it will be able to do anything like a JGTC "R34". Even a C6 Z06 and C6.R are totally different machines.

Out of curiosity, what racing game has the "benchmark" career mode that does all this?
Not sure what you are asking. Care to clearify?

Do you really expect to be able to take a street car and modify it to run with real built-from-the-ground-up racecars? Just because you bolted on another 600hp and took out 800lbs from your Skyline R34 doesn't mean it will be able to do anything like a JGTC "R34". Even a C6 Z06 and C6.R are totally different machines.
The thing is they advertised that you would be able to take a production car and do exactly that. F2 did not allow this and was better for it.

The DF is all over the map in F3 In F2 for example you could take a Saleen S7 and put a wing on it that would give you pretty much the same DF as the R2 S7 which makes perfect sense as it is basically the same car but on F3 the wing provides only a small fraction of what is on the other S7 yet you can put a ton of horsepower in it and they call it an R3. The result is that it is almost 100 mph faster than the average real R3 car and has no grip at all. It does not belong in that class by any means. In doing this they pretty much destroyed R3 and R2 classes and they removed R4 altogether. They also canned the U class and added an X class that has only a small number of cars many of which are not as fast as the R1s yet these are all upgraded R1s.

At first the 2008 Viper which is an S class car was the dominate R3 car on most tracks due to the AWD upgrade, Huge amount of Horsepower and extreme DF. Later in DLC they introduced the Mosler which is even more dominate. Back in F2 the R3 cars were all close in performance as were the R2s in F3 it is not even close some of the R2s go into R1 class with even the smallest upgrade and even then are not fast enough to compete with some of the base R2s much less the R1s.

In short they destroyed what was once a good game.

If you also put in a full race suspension and drive train as well as race wing and spoiler then it should be close and if not then the PI should not say that it is. That is the issue.

Don't forget the R1 mazda you could drop to R2, R3 and all the way down to S class if you knew the glitch.

I really enjoyed running the muscle cars in F2. They pretty much squashed all those in F3. Man I miss the A-Class stingray.

Now in F3 they are all awd. Show me an awd '70 challenger or '69 superbee in real life. Or an awd viper or GT40 or Ford GT for that matter. It's wack what you can and can't convert to awd in this game.

I still pop in F2 and run it every now and then, surprisingly there is quite alot of others doing the same. Got some great races in last weekend in the public lobby's.

Join the cycled production lobbies and all those balance problems go away. Same car and same setup for all - pure racing.
I'll never understand why it took T10 so long to introduce these lobbies.

If you also put in a full race suspension and drive train as well as race wing and spoiler then it should be close and if not then the PI should not say that it is. That is the issue.

I don't think you understand how the PI works at all.

Let's say we have two cars here, both theoretically tuned to A600.

Car 1 is a Lotus Exige with slicks, weight reduction, everything that can improve its handling, and then about 325hp to make it up the rest of the way to A600.

Car 2 is a Dodge Ram SRT10 with the 540 Hemi swap, supercharged, all power mods cranking out 1072hp. Then add all the handling mods to it, short of the weight reduction until you get it to A600.

Both cars are A600. They should run identical laps times?

In 99.99% of tracks, no, they won't. Unless its an abnormally fast circuit with very, very little curves, the Lotus is gonna kill the Ram. You'll notice cars have a Speed, Handling, Acceleration, Launch, and Braking attribute. Somehow the combination of these is what determines the PI. If you had these two example cars, you'd see the Ram will have a much higher speed, acceleration, (and possibly launch...though actually launching a 1000hp truck vs. a 325hp MR car, the MR car is going to be much easier and quicker without any traction control) and the Lotus' handling and braking will be much higher than the Ram's.

Now compare those attributes of a C6 Z06 modified to R3 (R2?) compared to the real C6.R.

Team Corvette does not go to their local Chevy dealership and buy a new Z06 and turn it into their race car.

Last edited:
They almost force you to use AWD on every one of them to compete which is just stupid.

AWD might have been 1 of the 3 options you had with each event, but was by no means forced upon you. With every Subaru or Evo event, there were 2 other non AWD events. In fact, it seems like the AWD events were only encouraged for the casual gamer. They involved less XP, less laps and it was default to a lower class.

Many times you were offered R class with most mostly RWD front engine or RWD mid engine.

No I am not saying that 2 A600 cars should run identical laps. I am saying that it should be possible to tune an A600 car in such a way as to be competive with other A600 cars regaurdless if it be grip or speed or balanced. This however is not possible with many cars and I was referring to R classes not A class. In the R classes it gets really bad The mosler has over 1000 pounds of downforce other R3s are not even close to that and most production cars can not be given that kind of DF either.
To the best of my knowledge in real life GT classes have limits of down force as well as horse power and weigth. This makes for good racing but allowing one car to have 1000 pounds and another 100 pounds while the one has 400 hp and the other has 900 hp is not even close to real life and will not result in any good racing.

As for the AWD force I was referring to online racing and leaderboard times. Sure you can race RWD or FWD in career and win easy as the races are to easy to start with but get online with a RWD Charger vs an AWD drive Charger and see who wins.

Don't forget the R1 mazda you could drop to R2, R3 and all the way down to S class if you knew the glitch.

I really enjoyed running the muscle cars in F2. They pretty much squashed all those in F3. Man I miss the A-Class stingray.

Now in F3 they are all awd. Show me an awd '70 challenger or '69 superbee in real life. Or an awd viper or GT40 or Ford GT for that matter. It's wack what you can and can't convert to awd in this game.

I still pop in F2 and run it every now and then, surprisingly there is quite alot of others doing the same. Got some great races in last weekend in the public lobby's.
Absolutely.

I run Forza 2 from time to time as well, though lately I have re-discovered GT4 with my new wheel :)

But who will have more fun? The RWD guy having to work hard or the mash-the-throttle AWD guy?

It's like the real world. I couldn't care less if someone in their diesel is quicker than me, I like my petrol car's rev-range and it's not even that high at a 6750 redline.

But who will have more fun? The RWD guy having to work hard or the mash-the-throttle AWD guy?

It's like the real world. I couldn't care less if someone in their diesel is quicker than me, I like my petrol car's rev-range and it's not even that high at a 6750 redline.

Well the purpose of racing is to compete and try to win. So one would think the AWD guy will be having more fun as he will be winning every time and the RWD guy will be frustrated as the PI is stacked against him in favor of the AWD.

BTW not all of the AWD guys over there are mash the throttle guys, many of them run with a high end wheel and cockpit, no assists and are very fast in anything. The point is that the game is set up to where in most classes a car which has been modified with an AWD swap is faster than its 2wd counterpart often having much more horsepower and even adjustable gears while retaining a lower PI.

In short the system is broken

Out of the DLC i've got, I would either go for the Jalopnik Car Pack or the Exotic Car pack.

which one gives you the parking lot track and the "car soccer" track? also, I got some "gifts" from T10 but I need to download a DLC, which one is it? Thanks in advance!

which one gives you the parking lot track and the "car soccer" track? also, I got some "gifts" from T10 but I need to download a DLC, which one is it? Thanks in advance!

I think you can play "car soccer" and drive on the "parking lot" track on the Benchmark track pack. You can get the DLC which has the Benchmark High Speed Ring for free if you have the redeemable code that came with the game. If you don't have it, look on the Xbox Marketplace and you should find the Benchmark track available to download, but you'll need Microsoft points.

The gifts are DLC cars, but I don't know which ones you have been gifted with.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back