New update physics discussion

• Thread starter BLACK86
  • 224 comments
H20HYBRID_GT, just wondering, did you read my original post? My complaint was regarding the over-exaggerated way the car moves with the tiniest amount of input, I don't have a beef with the physics. I don't understand how is this realistic? When you drive your car and breath on the steering wheel does it change the direction of the car towards the oncoming traffic or into the kerb? They way it is now I'm constantly having to put correctional inputs in just to keep it running down a straight?
Don't listen to the bots? :confused:
Yes, I read it and I don't think it's much exaggerated ... slightly exaggerated maybe, still feels very realistic, the slightest steering input and you will need to correct! Was late yesterday, so my apologizes for the bots:ouch: I just really think they should not change something back since this update is a great improvement(almost perfect^^(#174) ) ! ... Is it possible to adjust sensitivy for wheels? DS3 feels superb, better than ever. 👍

Last edited:
Yes, I read it and I don't think it's much exaggerated ... slightly exaggerated maybe, still feels very realistic, the slightest steering input and you will need to correct! Was late yesterday, so my apologizes for the bots:ouch: I just really think they should not change something back since this update is a big step in the right direction ! ... Is it possible to adjust sensitivy for wheels? DS3 feels perfect, better than ever. 👍

Think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one, I've been in plenty of cars, even cars set up for track use and they don't seem as nervous on the initial turn in as I'm finding it now on the DS3. As mentioned plenty of times before it would be nice if PD could implement a calibration option for all controllers, then there wouldn't be a problem, plenty of games have had it before. I find myself driving off the track where I've brushed the stick slightly to correct a line and ran the outside of the car onto the grass, taking myself out.

No worries about the bot thing :)

Think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one, I've been in plenty of cars, even cars set up for track use and they don't seem as nervous on the initial turn in as I'm finding it now on the DS3. As mentioned plenty of times before it would be nice if PD could implement a calibration option for all controllers, then there wouldn't be a problem, plenty of games have had it before. I find myself driving off the track where I've brushed the stick slightly to correct a line and ran the outside of the car onto the grass, taking myself out.

No worries about the bot thing :)

Thats strange...
I also use the sixaxis because I dont have (and also dont want) a wheel but I dont have any problems keeping a straight line...

Yes, the car now reacts very fast on small inputs but it shouldnt be a problem to do those little inputs on your controller.

Maybe it depends on the type of controller ? I use the Original one sold with the PS3, without rumble.. (no DS3)

Yes, the car now reacts very fast on small inputs but it shouldnt be a problem to do those little inputs on your controller.
It depends on the car you are using. I hardly noticed any difference on some cars, while others have become harder to handle quite obviously. The controller appears more sensitive overall. I guess it's a case of getting used to it again. If you have a hard time, dropping the steering angle a bit will help you out. :)

H20HYBRID_GT, just wondering, did you read my original post? My complaint was regarding the over-exaggerated way the car moves with the tiniest amount of input, I don't have a beef with the physics. I don't understand how is this realistic? When you drive your car and breath on the steering wheel does it change the direction of the car towards the oncoming traffic or into the kerb? They way it is now I'm constantly having to put correctional inputs in just to keep it running down a straight?

Don't listen to the bots? :confused:

MeWhiteNoise, I agree with you entirely. The analogue sticks are far too sensitive now. I like how they seem not to have any dead spot now but the sensitivity is far too high! I have begun to get used to them a bit better but any slight nervous twitch or God forbid a sneeze and I'll be straight into some poor bugger! Still far too sensitive. I'm at full lock / throttle with hardly any movement... would be better to use the full range of travel of the analogue stick in consisitent, even increments.

p.s. I use original SIXAXIS controller too. I guess it's down to user preference hence the reason why we should be able to adjust analogue stick sensitivity ourselves.

p.p.s Dropping the steering angle does help but is not a true solution as I find afterwards that the car doesn't have enough lock!

Last edited:

It's no problem after I've initiated the turn, it's when going from the dead zone to the initial push of the stick. There's no finesse, it's almost like tapping the D-pad. Presumably it's severity depends on general suspension setup of the car. I'll have to try and dial it out in my setups without compromising them too much. 👍

It's no problem after I've initiated the turn, it's when going from the dead zone to the initial push of the stick. There's no finesse, it's almost like tapping the D-pad. Presumably it's severity depends on general suspension setup of the car. I'll have to try and dial it out in my setups without compromising them too much. 👍

Ah I see the difference of your settings compared to mine now:

What I use on the sixaxis for steering and also for accellerating/braking ARE THE STICKS ! Not the D-pad !

By using the sticks it works very well !
Give it a try !

EDIT: You using the sticks already ?

I agree with profi once again, the subjective differences seem very strange... Never has it been easier to keep a straight line.
But, I agree about the need for adjusting the sensitivity, too. Don't get why it's not there??? Have to say though if the current setting was default then, I would be more than happy not to touch it!
Also my impression regarding DS3 vs Sixaxis is that the DS3 is a little more sensitive 👍 and the Sixaxis feels almost like it would break apart any moment ... Im on average 1 second faster with the DS3 therefore 👍

PS: @profi I think MeWhiteNoise is using the analog-sticks already?

Last edited:
I've looked around for the last 30 minutes and have not seen any discussion regarding my query! so apologies in advance from a blindman if it already has a seperate thread :dopey:

I have been busy for the last week and only tonight booted up to try out spec III ... anyway I jumped in a ZO6 tuned and went to Suzuka on free run in the online section, I put my old set up on the Z06 as I knew all the cars would be wiped of settings, now my car drives pretty well and handles great! but is it only me or is everybody's Z06 nearly 20 secs a lap slower with 750PP than it used to be with the same PP points?

I've looked in my settings a good 10 times to see if I'm missing a new option turbo on / off and I can't see it? :dunce: even with all gears shortened as far as they can go and the final at minimum also .. it's so slow it is depressing :indiff:

Any enlightenment on this would be appreciated 👍
Cheers
Ron.

I still have this above issue and it seems to be with every car??? does anybody have any idea's what is happening? I'm starting to think the download I updated with may have corrupted my game or something as I'm not nieve enough to miss something in the settings and it's driving me crazy thinking of possibilities :crazy:

Surely I'm not the only one with this problem? :scared:

I agree with profi once again, the subjective differences seem very strange... Never has it been easier to keep a straight line.
But, I agree about the need for adjusting the sensitivity, too. Don't get why it's not there??? Have to say though if the current setting was default then, I would be more than happy not to touch it!
Also my impression regarding DS3 vs Sixaxis is that the DS3 is a little more sensitive 👍 and the Sixaxis feels almost like it would break apart any moment ... Im on average 1 second faster with the DS3 therefore 👍

Really ?? I have to get a DS3 then...

I still have this above issue and it seems to be with every car??? does anybody have any idea's what is happening? I'm starting to think the download I updated with may have corrupted my game or something as I'm not nieve enough to miss something in the settings and it's driving me crazy thinking of possibilities :crazy:

Surely I'm not the only one with this problem? :scared:

So you got slower as a result and I got quicker. :D ...maybe they saw your performance @ Torc and thought to slow you down a bit.. ;)

No really, I hope you get it figured out... I haven't noticed anything like that. :yuck: :dunce:

PD, fix Ron's problem ASAP!

So you got slower as a result and I got quicker. :D ...maybe they saw your performance @ Torc and thought to slow you down a bit.. ;)

No really, I hope you get it figured out... I haven't noticed anything like that. :yuck: :dunce:

PD, fix Ron's problem ASAP!

Yeah that's it Timo :sly: They knew they had to give you guys some kind of help against my superior driving skills and stuffed all my cars with a banana up the exhaust pipe :P :lol:

Seriously though .. 15 - 20 secs per lap slower at Suzuka is a bit of a disadvantage if I were to take one of these bone shakers into an online event :grumpy:

If I don't get a fix soon I will be shelfing this game :ouch:

did you all notice how slipstream is exaggerated. If this option would be tuned down to normal slipsteam, then it would also reduce catchup effect or there wouldn't be any catchup!?

Yeah that's it Timo :sly: They knew they had to give you guys some kind of help against my superior driving skills and stuffed all my cars with a banana up the exhaust pipe :P :lol:

Seriously though .. 15 - 20 secs per lap slower at Suzuka is a bit of a disadvantage if I were to take one of these bone shakers into an online event :grumpy:

Reinstall + update, as a last resort?

Reinstall + update, as a last resort?

Can't say anything about GT5P, but in the PC world it's not very uncommon that game installations go haywire after applying patch over patch over patch over patch. A clean install could be worth a shot. Note that it will probably take forever to download the full update to Spec III.

Never has it been easier to keep a straight line.
PS: @profi I think MeWhiteNoise is using the analog-sticks already?

It isn't keeping the car in a straight line that's the problem, it's trying to get the car to sit on the exact line that you want it to be on. When I'm putting inputs in, it always seem to overstep the mark moving further than I want it to so I can't get it on the line that I want. An example of this is when going down the start/finish straight as Suzuka, I have to re-adjust my direction in the car as the line the car is on gradually takes me onto the grass or the into the barriers. As I said before, I have no problem with my manual dexterity and never had a problem with this pre-update.

Profi - yes, I am already using the sticks on my DS3 (new one arrived yesterday), I will try my old sixaxis out of interest tonight though 👍

Last edited:

I didn't save any setups but I just quickly tried a lap in the Z06 tuned without any tuning and got a 1'59 on 750pp free run so it seems similar to before.
Could you of picked the standard Z06 as the garage order gets reset? But you have said all cars so not that. Re-install it or change your ISP so PD think your just another mortal updating.

Could your problem be this ?
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111328

Ohhh noo dont shelf GT!:nervous:
There has to be a solution, have you checked all your Driving options to make sure there's no Active steering or Tractions etcetera active? Also check your options menu, have a look at the different options and see if anything might give you a hint? If this doesn't work then try selling your Vette...she might be due for retirement...or rebuild lol.:D Get a new Vette and see if that fixes the Problem, if all else fails...just lets hope that don't happen.👍
GT is to great to ever be shelved, on a side note the new Controller 're-finements' have actually slightly 'de-fined' it, I use the Sticks on a Six-axis for now, and I have found it to be just as the below:
MeWhiteNoise
It's no problem after I've initiated the turn, it's when going from the dead zone to the initial push of the stick. There's no finesse, it's almost like tapping the D-pad.
It is now much harder to be smooth on turn in's, I would prefer the sensitivity of before or a simple option to customize it, that way everyone can have it just teh way they like it.👍 Peace,
Rusty*

I haven't tried the update yet - for the last few weeks I've been mostly playing Ferrari Challenge.

The most noticeable difference between the physics in FC & GT5P is the weight of the FFB - it's much heavier in FC which communicates much more of the "feel" of the car's weight under heavy cornering. Another thing I notice in FC is that when you push the car hard through a corner you can feel the tires "skipping" (partial, temporary loss of grip) - which is communicated through the wheel "juddering" - rather than just sliding.

I would like it if GT5P allowed for heavier FFB & a more robust, bumpy, physical feel to the wheel - IMO, at the minute it's much too "smooth", which contributes to the overly "clinical" character of GT5P.

MeWhiteNoise - I know what you mean. Just pretty sure thats realistic ...
Probably won't be able to convince you, but think about it a minute: are you really sure you don't have to do those corrections in RL, especially with a tuned- track - car? I mean that's what I see on on board cam in race series on TV ... those guys working their a$$ off, just to make the car go where they want it to... not ? :sly:
As mentioned before I don't have a race built car, but at high speeds ( countryroad or highway) I experience exactly that, too...
You have to go with the flow :)

Last edited:
I haven't tried the update yet - for the last few weeks I've been mostly playing Ferrari Challenge.

The most noticeable difference between the physics in FC & GT5P is the weight of the FFB - it's much heavier in FC which communicates much more of the "feel" of the car's weight under heavy cornering. Another thing I notice in FC is that when you push the car hard through a corner you can feel the tires "skipping" (partial, temporary loss of grip) - which is communicated through the wheel "juddering" - rather than just sliding.

I would like it if GT5P allowed for heavier FFB & a more robust, bumpy, physical feel to the wheel - IMO, at the minute it's much too "smooth", which contributes to the overly "clinical" character of GT5P.

I haven't bought FC... yet, but I found that turning the FFB up on GT5p helps a bit. The cars, to me at least, feel better now.

..those guys working their a$$ off, just to make the car go where they want it to... not ? :sly:

Precisely.

So the general consensus is that the new physics update is better, more realistic, more balanced, easier, harder, more annoying, twitchy, smooth, completely unrealistic.

Good. Glad we cleared that up.

I'll throw my half-penny in if I may having spent the last two days thrashing various mobiles around Daytona and Suzuka... With a wheel and pedals the new physics is a huge improvement and gives more satisfyingly realistic feedback than either of the previous incarnations. The "greased tyres" feel has gone and although it'll still bite back and throw you a spin if you turn in too quick with a RWD, or get too giddy with the throttle, with a quick flick and some throttle magic such moments do not now inevitably lead to the car doing ballet. Hehe, you can even drift the R8 properly now... much kudos for that.

{The above relates to driving un-tuned cars with S1/2 tyres}

There's also alot of debate about this realism thing.... This is a driving sim, not just a racing game (said so much its become meaningless) but in order to succeed as a game, it also needs to partially cater for players who have less interest in realism and more in out and out speed. It exists, yes? Its called Standard Physics.

To expect it to be easy to drive a 400-500 horsepower car (or any car for that matter) in Profesional mode, flat out round a technical ciruit like Suzuka is quite frankly, slightly naive. I've raced Caterham 7s on some of the UKs small and twisty tarmac and I can tell you its a hair trigger thing. Load up the front, let off, turn in, foot twithces on the throttle..{blink}... where's the damn track gone? Oh well, day at the beach it is then.

Lets ask ourselves.. are we expecting too much from the game or too much from ourselves? But then again... practise makes perfect.

(These and other cliches will be appearing in many future posts)

Last edited:

Tried your NTSC copy already? If that one has the same issues, you probably have to reinstall the game

Precisely.

So the general consensus is that the new physics update is better, more realistic, more balanced, easier, harder, more annoying, twitchy, smooth, completely unrealistic.

Good. Glad we cleared that up.

I'll throw my half-penny in if I may having spent the last two days thrashing various mobiles around Daytona and Suzuka... With a wheel and pedals the new physics is a huge improvement and gives more satisfyingly realistic feedback than either of the previous incarnations. The "greased tyres" feel has gone and although it'll still bite back and throw you a spin if you turn in too quick with a RWD, or get too giddy with the throttle, with a quick flick and some throttle magic such moments do not now inevitably lead to the car doing ballet. Hehe, you can even drift the R8 properly now... much kudos for that.

{The above relates to driving un-tuned cars with S1/2 tyres}

There's also alot of debate about this realism thing.... This is a driving sim, not just a racing game (said so much its become meaningless) but in order to succeed as a game, it also needs to partially cater for players who have less interest in realism and more in out and out speed. It exists, yes? Its called Standard Physics.

To expect it to be easy to drive a 400-500 horsepower car (or any car for that matter) in Profesional mode, flat out round a technical ciruit like Suzuka is quite frankly, slightly naive. I've raced Caterham 7s on some of the UKs small and twisty tarmac and I can tell you its a hair trigger thing. Load up the front, let off, turn in, foot twithces on the throttle..{blink}... where's the damn track gone? Oh well, day at the beach it is then.

Lets ask ourselves.. are we expecting too much from the game or too much from ourselves? But then again... practise makes perfect.

(These and other cliches will be appearing in many future posts)

Well put. One of the discerning improvement that makes this new update all the better is in the Ferraris. The 599 which has been in the roster since GT:HD has always been a difficult car to understand. While there's a huge leap from GT:HD to the GT5P version yet never has it really proven why it costs over $300k until this recent Spec III update. Using the recommended S1 tires, the 599 now provides all the nuances that makes a Ferrari what it is. The GT5P version of the F430 that one point was challenged by System 3 aptly named Ferrari Challenge (although this was never my opinion), is now miles ahead. It would be intersting to see how Blimey's Ferrari Project stack up against GT5P and perhaps Blimey's adherence to total simulation could make it the the superior version or maybe PD's recent affiliation with Ferrari might prove beneficial. Again my observation is done using Logitech G25 and all cases (except for testing the traction control) with all aids off.

Last edited:
I haven't bought FC... yet, but I found that turning the FFB up on GT5p helps a bit. The cars, to me at least, feel better now.

IMO it's not possible to have "enough" FFB in GT5P even when you turn it up as high as possible.

Back