New Year Holiday Challenge: Nürburgring GP/F 10 Lap Survival Race

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 310 comments
I first tried the Supra GT 500 Base Model, and had a bad time. I first could not figure out if it was my tune, or what.

Swapped to the HSV and won easily first try.

Not surprised by that huge contrast. Supra just ate up tires and guzzle gas slightly quicker, and couldn't stick like the HSV around corners.

I went through the same with the NSX GT500 and the Z GT500 Base Model after several attempts until I finally gave up. My three wins so far were with the HSV-010 GT BM, the GT-R GT500 BM and the GT-R R35 Touring Car (this last more difficult). I guess it all depends on the tune.

I went with the TS030, stock except detuned to 600 pp and max downforce front and rear. I started on racing softs, changed for inters at the end of lap 3 and stayed on them for the rest of the race. I didnt refuel at the stop and literally ran out of fuel 50m from the finish line and coasted over to win by 12 secs.

Last edited:
Easily done with 2J,

Just use the power limiter to fit the rule, 600 PP, and use the Intermidiate tires,

you can finish whole race with no pit stop!!!

@nowcontrol. Have to agree. the Furai is a great car and fun to drive. I recently bought it for the Laguna event. Not sure why it took me so long to grab it. Had it on GT5. Will be using it more often now.

It's a fantastic Race Car and my
works just as well for this race as it does at the Lagnua Seca race. Tho removing the toe and setting the front brake bias to 5 or 6, and perhaps upping the downforce to [320/550] or more is a little bit better for grip and stability here.

Tried this with a default Z GT 500, got slapped with a 5 second penalty because somebody rammed into the back of me at the exact moment I left the pits... cost me the win in the end. :yuck:

That said, I quite enjoyed this event, I'll definitely run it a couple more times.

MSZ
Not with the TS because of its weight(only 900 KG), I tried this one pit stop strategy with other GT500 class cars and all failed big time. But at the end of the day I had a very easy time with the TS.

It is actually pretty easy to win with a one-stop strategy using most GT500 cars. I have had pretty easy one-stop wins with the GT500 Nismo Z and HSV. They can all last until at least lap 5 (or even 6) on a set of inters and then do another 4-5 laps on inters, tyres will not fall below 4 or 5. Since with these cars the front tyres degrade more than the rear tyres (still have no clue how this can be possible) it only leads to understeer, which is quite easy to deal with. Only tricky one-stop victory was with the Honda NSX, where a 2-stop would be much better and quicker. Decided to stop a second time with my GTR to be on the safe side, but with smoother driving should be pretty easy to win with a one-stop strategy. With the Lexus SC430 a one-stop is just plainly impossible due to tyre wear. Will try the Supra next. :) Then the older JGTC cars. :)

I first tried the Supra GT 500 Base Model, and had a bad time. I first could not figure out if it was my tune, or what.

Swapped to the HSV and won easily first try.

Not surprised by that huge contrast. Supra just ate up tires and guzzle gas slightly quicker, and couldn't stick like the HSV around corners.

I found the Supra was as quick as the HSV. The Lexus was a bit slower than the rest, and the Z was quite a bit quicker for me. The Supra understeers quite a lot normally, so you're best off trying to eliminate as much of that as you can, the rear is pretty planted, especially on the throttle. It does use the tyres up quicker though, not enough to be a problem on a two stopper.

Edit:

572PP - Stock with oil change.
RH 55/65
SR 14.50/15.50
COMP 5/5
EXT 5/5
ARB 4/4
CAMBER -2.2/-1.8 - can use 0 if you want.
TOE -0.05/0.05
BB 5/3
GEAR 180MPH
LSD 15/20/15
DF 350/350

Can run 1:52's easily enough on that in the dry. TC 0 ABS 0

Last edited:
I found the Supra was as quick as the HSV. The Lexus was a bit slower than the rest, and the Z was quite a bit quicker for me. The Supra understeers quite a lot normally, so you're best off trying to eliminate as much of that as you can, the rear is pretty planted, especially on the throttle. It does use the tyres up quicker though, not enough to be a problem on a two stopper.

Edit:

RH 55/65
SR 14.50/15.50
COMP 5/5
EXT 5/5
ARB 4/4
TOE -0.05/0.05
BB 5/3
GEAR 180MPH
LSD 15/20/15
DF 350/350

Was planning on running the Supra there next. Will use your set-up then, easy for me, hehe. :P

I really wonder how you drive though, if you can do a 1:52 with it. Dunno if I will be able to, but my quickest lap till now is a 1:55 in I think the NSX. I like there to be more rain, since in the rain I gain a lot, in the dry not so much. So, if you have any tips to spare to improve my lap times would be good. :) Ironically, the easiest two-stop victory I had was with the SC430, the slowest car of the GT500's... :P

Was planning on running the Supra there next. Will use your set-up then, easy for me, hehe. :P

I really wonder how you drive though, if you can do a 1:52 with it. Dunno if I will be able to, but my quickest lap till now is a 1:55 in I think the NSX. I like there to be more rain, since in the rain I gain a lot, in the dry not so much. So, if you have any tips to spare to improve my lap times would be good. :) Ironically, the easiest two-stop victory I had was with the SC430, the slowest car of the GT500's... :P

I abuse the physics because SRF is on. Just over drive into the corners and it'll usually still turn in, especially with a touch of brake. Really focus on your lines though, try to maximise the amount of the dry track you're using. Think I ran a few high 52's in the NSX, was pretty edgy to drive compared to the others, even with a lot of coast locking. You can go full throttle in second in the dry too, no traction issues at all but I only use it at the chicane before upshifting to third for the right hander. Also make sure you drive as quickly into and out of the pits as possible, the AI takes it really easy so you can gain a few seconds there.

It is actually pretty easy to win with a one-stop strategy using most GT500 cars. I have had pretty easy one-stop wins with the GT500 Nismo Z and HSV. They can all last until at least lap 5 (or even 6) on a set of inters and then do another 4-5 laps on inters, tyres will not fall below 4 or 5. Since with these cars the front tyres degrade more than the rear tyres (still have no clue how this can be possible) it only leads to understeer, which is quite easy to deal with. Only tricky one-stop victory was with the Honda NSX, where a 2-stop would be much better and quicker. Decided to stop a second time with my GTR to be on the safe side, but with smoother driving should be pretty easy to win with a one-stop strategy. With the Lexus SC430 a one-stop is just plainly impossible due to tyre wear. Will try the Supra next. :) Then the older JGTC cars. :)

You are a much better driver than I am, i never really know how to drive these gt500/gt3 cars. thank goodness that this game allows us to detune le man race cars for these events. lol

MSZ
You are a much better driver than I am, i never really know how to drive these gt500/gt3 cars. thank goodness that this game allows us to detune le man race cars for these events. lol

Not necessarily, I just like the SuperGT and GT3 cars. :) Using a Le Mans car kind of seems like a bit unfair :P, so I just use the same cars that the AI uses. But again, I love the SuperGT cars, so of course I like to use them. :)

I abuse the physics because SRF is on. Just over drive into the corners and it'll usually still turn in, especially with a touch of brake. Really focus on your lines though, try to maximise the amount of the dry track you're using. Think I ran a few high 52's in the NSX, was pretty edgy to drive compared to the others, even with a lot of coast locking. You can go full throttle in second in the dry too, no traction issues at all but I only use it at the chicane before upshifting to third for the right hander. Also make sure you drive as quickly into and out of the pits as possible, the AI takes it really easy so you can gain a few seconds there.

Maybe I am too careful then on entry, mostly enter quite slowly, then halfway to 3/4 through the corner I apply full throttle, also abusing the SRF. Seems you can create some "stable" oversteer too when entering corners, so need to get better at that maybe, hehe. :P Though just for fun, ran the SC430 on a free run in the rain on the Nürburgring with all settings the same except SRF. Did laps of 2:15 (did just two) instead of the 2:08 at 70% track wetness and rain during the seasonal. Apply full throttle midway through a corner will send you flying in circles, haha. :P

Anyone got an idea why the distance of the race is added to your total car mileage in your garage while a win is not recorded? In GT5 all seasonal wins were recorded too. :boggled:

It is weired that when click the change cars button, my HSV's isn't there. Only got to find it from manufacturers to use it ! , although all the spec are right. :confused: This event for me is actually test our driving strategy. Don't over cook the steering and the throttle, you will save the fuel and tires. Maybe the next test is on the 'engine damage' ! Anyone try it with a 4WD ? Should be fine when tires wearing off on slippery road in the real world or GT 300 cars :lol:.

Last edited:
i was using a TS030 to grind this one, but it always felt like cheating since it's a much faster car.

so i tuned a '08 GT-R base model to try and save tires for a single pit stop and, well, things got pretty easy as well but now with a proper GT500 car other than the HSV...

started with inters
1 stop @ end of lap 6 in 1st place for new inters and suggested fuel
returned in 3rd and finished 1st with a 23.565s gap

and the whole point of this tune - inter tires ended up @ 4/5 and 5/6 with plenty of grip. here's the setup:

oil change, chasis reinforcement, stage 3 engine, 552hp limited
ride height: 60/62
spring rate: 16,5/16
comp, ext, arb: 4/4, 5/5, 3/3
camber: 1/0,5
toe: 0,05/0,10
brakes: 5/6

transm: max 280kmh (174mph)
diff: 15/25/20

downforce: 250/450

im no tunning expert and im sure you guys can improve it, but it worked really really well for me, as long as i was smooth with the brakes and patient when overtaking in order to avoid late braking.

cheers!

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Anybody noticed the AI drivers names? I got so far in a single race: Michael Krumm, Loric Duval, Andre Lotterer, JP Oliveira, Benoit Treluyer and so on.

Nice one :)

I gave it a shot with my mazda furai, stock only with racing softs and the damn thing rolls in every conner every time you get a slide. I ended up fiding it amusing but a bit anoying, does anyone know a solution to this?

Does that tune work on the 99 nismo r34 race car? Because then i wouldn't have to buy a new car, since i got to dealers and basicly "made it rain!"

I didn't bother reading the description and just hit enter, change car, and picked out the Ferrari P4 330, always my first choice for any race car event. I was disappointed to find it was not the Nordschleife but the rather dull GP track and the fact that it was gloomy and damp didn't improve my mood. I just about managed to maintain the gap to the leader for a couple of laps but when it started to lash it down and the gap started to open up I realised I was not going to do this on RH tyres and would have to pit.
The next problem was that I didn't know where the pit entrance was and missed it on the next opportunity. At the end of the next lap, now soaked to the skin (open-top car in this weather?), I made it to the pits and sat in the box for a good minute shouting "Inters!" while the crew looked on gormlessly. I'm not sure whose fault it was but apparently we'd come to a wet weekend in Germany without any wet tyres. So I set off on a fresh set of RHs and a full tank of fuel. It was like wearing roller skates to play ice-hockey. By the time it started to dry out the tyres had lost all their grip from all the sliding and wheel-spinning and I nursed it home about 4 minutes behind the leader. I'm hoping to do better next time.

I've done the race again on friday after some beer. It's really easy :D

In my previous post i said that it was the stock tune. I was wrong. My car has installed a small turbokit.

Won by 30 seconds :P

Edit:

RH 55/65
SR 14.50/15.50
COMP 5/5
EXT 5/5
ARB 4/4
TOE -0.05/0.05
BB 5/3
GEAR 180MPH
LSD 15/20/15
DF 350/350

Good tune, I used yours when I won with my Supra GT500 Base Car '05. Though it is sometimes a bit unstable, but nothing big to worry about. Think my best lap was a 1:54 or 1:55, still much slower than you, haha. :D

The XANAVI NISMO GT-R '03 is also a very reliable car for this race. If you want the tune setting, let me know :)

Won the event this morning using this car with Praiano's tune (just adjusted the ride height and brake balance a bit). Good stable car for a guaranteed victory. :)

For people who want a GT500 car that will (almost) always win, use the 1997 Castrol TOM's Supra, this car gave me the easiest victory. Drives really well, is really stable, will only eat your tyres, tyre consumption is worse than the '05 Supra.

For people who want a nice challenge, try this event with a GT500 Honda NSX from 2000. Tried several times with the Raybrig NSX '00 but best I could do was finish 3rd. With this one you basically need to drive the perfect race, a minor mistake will already ruin your chances. My problem is that I can't really win much in the dry with this car, dunno why. Do, 1:56 to 1:57 in the dry, which is obviously not good enough. :P If there is anyone with a good set-up for this car, please let me know. I used and tweaked Praiano's Castrol Mugen NSX '01 for this one.

After getting gold on all the other seasonals I thought I wouldn't have any problem with this one. I was wrong! I tried a bunch of times with different GT500 cars and couldn't close the gap. I finally had to use the 2J to gold this one and found out some of the ramming penalty rules:

It seems that if you are on the inside of the corner and ram someone with the SIDE of your car while passing you get no penalty! (Worked everytime for me. I wasn't trying to ram anyone, but ended up having some contact that seemed more than worthy of a penalty. Definitely got a penalty when the AI hit me less hard than that)
If you are passing someone on the outside at the corner exit and they ram you (even pushing you off the track), that's a penalty for you!

This was my experience with the ramming penalty in this seasonal, not sure if it was all coincidence or not. The bottom line is always pass on the inside, if you go outside you're likely to get a penalty.

Awesome race! Felt like a real driver needing proper strategy and be careful and protect my tires depending the conditions!! And grip was very realistic thank God! Super races is not like that, done them all with Racing slics which is ridiculous!

Only problem the router lost connection and signed in again but lost 200% bonus!!!

Done this one last night... jumped in the old trusty toms castrol @ 600pp pitted at the end of lap 5 and used intermediates for the whole race 👍 Breezed it but it was good fun! I should have used a less capable car to enjoy it better as the toms is just too good for the opposition... will try it again with a tougher drive over the festive season when I'm chilling :cheers:

This seasonal is effin retarded.
Not because it's hard to win. Actually, it is quite doable.....
So long as the friggin AI doesn't boot you deep into the sand with too little time to do anything about it!!!!
Call me crazy, but I don't find it fun or amusing to spend 25 minutes carefully pulling my way to the front of the pack just to get knocked back out of contention by something that was COMPLETELY out of my control.

Challenging? My arse! How is it that PD has to resort to this type of stupidity in order to make the AI "challenging"?

End Rant. haha.

Good tune, I used yours when I won with my Supra GT500 Base Car '05. Though it is sometimes a bit unstable, but nothing big to worry about. Think my best lap was a 1:54 or 1:55, still much slower than you, haha. :D

Glad that worked for you. 54's are good laps, especially if you're not entirely used to the way the car drives.

Just ran the event again, used the BMW Vision GT at 600PP, runs 52's in the dry and really easy to drive in the wet.

@ Champ2014

I know how you feel, I've done this race a load of times now and I still get caught out by the AI either binning it then doing a stupid rejoin or randomly moving across into my car on a straight. Best way to deal with it is to never go side by side until you divebomb them on the brakes.

Back