NFL General Discussion

Peyton Manning is going to be cut by the Colts tomorrow. I thought I'd never see the day.

Now let's suit him up in some 49ers gear!!

I can relate man, over the weekend we re-signed Marshawn Lynch to a 4-year deal. That man has re-invigorated a Seahawks running game that hasn't existed since the departure of Shaun Alexander.

It's a part of the game, unfortunately, whether there is an actual payout or not. Certain players are going to do their darnedest to hurt key players on other teams. It's been happening for a long, long time. In the eighties, there was a Packer that kept a hit list on him for when they played the Bears.

So... make that two big topics in the NFL now. What do you make of:

* the New Orleans Saints' bounty issue
* Peyton Manning leaving the Colts (and where would/could he go to?)

Anyone?

Bounty isssue - heads will roll. Goodell is really spewing fire over this one.
Peyton - my preference is clear. It's almost hard to find a team that wouldn't be interested.

Bounty issue... The Saints are going to eventually get what is coming to them for the stupidity.

As for Peyton, well what could I say. Any guy that can be of his stature and can wave at me while I drive by giving him a wave at grocery store, is awesome. :D As for where he goes, I wish for the Rams... but I will say.... Either Miami, Houston, or San Francisco. :D

Well, my little brother (the household sports expert) tells me that the Dolphins, Cardinals and Browns would be the three most likely candidates. As a Steeler fan, I don't want to see him with the Browns (think what the AFC North would be like!), but he might go well with the dolphins, and would certainly do well with the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald. I can't see him with the 49ers or any team that went better than 10-6, simply because he has an amazing amount of talent and would be very costly to sign, but it is still questionable as to whether he can play at the same level he did before. It will be interesting to see how he performs with his new team, if he gets one.

On a different note, I think that after he is done being a player, he will go into coaching. He has amazing leadership skills, is smart, and charismatic.

49ers have plenty of cap space dude. Alex Smith is a free agent. They can afford Manning.

And the Dolphins have lots of cap room and a dome for summer practice. Good center and left tackle. After that...

All the Matt Flynn talk kind of irks me; you want how much for someone who's played 2 games...Seriously? I get it, he's played under Philbin, but that doesn't necessarily translate to any lasting success just because he practiced for three years under him.

Yeah. Manning to the Dolphins does seem to make the most sense. Of course I will reject that and insert my homerism. Seattle is pushing hard.

Peyton Manning is going to be cut by the Colts tomorrow. I thought I'd never see the day.

Now let's suit him up in some 49ers gear!!

Joe Montana was my hero growing up. Would be awesome to see Peyton step into those shoes.

All my friends back home really think the Chiefs can get him. :lol: Deluded...

I'm surprised to hear on Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption talking about my Texans being a good landing spot for Peyton Manning. There was talk about P. Manning and domed stadiums. My problem with this is... if the Texans pick up Peyton Manning (let's pretend they do), does that mean Matt Schaub has to go, or maybe even get rid of Matt Leinart? Or what about one Jake Delhomme? I think having Peyton Manning for the Texans would give the Texans a great veteran QB in their depth chart.

Peyton Manning is going to make somebody's team a good percentage better whomever he signs with.

I don't really have too much to say on the Saints' bounty deal. A lot of the old school types are more along the lines of "that's football. What makes this sort of violence any different?" I just don't really have much to say or comment on this.

People only bring up the Texans because Mario Williams is a free agent now so there's cap space. I don't see Peyton going there. Schaub, Yates, and company are fine.

Peyton will go to San Fran. Smith was shaky before finally pulling it together recently. Peyton has always been consistent, no reason that would change, and the 49'ers are coming off a brilliant season.

I would love to see Peyton in a Redskins uniform, however I actually think that would be a bad move. For one, lets say he plays 5 more seasons, then retires. We'd be back to where we are at now. The Redskins in the past have put to much emphasis on free agency and not enough focus on drafting. Instead of trying to grab Manning, we should instead draft a QB that is a good pocket passer that can read coverages and make plays. The only areas we should focus on in free agency is our offensive line and cornerbacks. That's my opinion, anyway.

I saw that the Broncos were interested in Manning, and all I could think of was:

Tebow: Provide national sensation, win first Denver playoff game in a few years.

Elway: I guess we will stick with him going forward.

Elway: "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..."

Just seems like they aren't giving Tebow a fair shake here, if they're gonna boot him after the security he was given after the season. If, if, if, they get Manning, which I bet they won't :lol:.

I would love to see Peyton in a Redskins uniform, however I actually think that would be a bad move. For one, lets say he plays 5 more seasons, then retires. We'd be back to where we are at now. The Redskins in the past have put to much emphasis on free agency and not enough focus on drafting. Instead of trying to grab Manning, we should instead draft a QB that is a good pocket passer that can read coverages and make plays. The only areas we should focus on in free agency is our offensive line and cornerbacks. That's my opinion, anyway.

Are you really worried about 5 years from now? You gotta play for today. If you had Peyton Manning for 5 years you'd be in awesome shape.

Are you really worried about 5 years from now? You gotta play for today. If you had Peyton Manning for 5 years you'd be in awesome shape.

Somehow, I don't imagine much more than 3 good years out of him; it would be foolish to sign him to a five-year contract.

Owners rarely give teams/coaches/personnel five years to turn anything around, in any sport, in this day and age, unless it's an expansion team. Heck, most stadium naming rights barely last that long.

CAM
Elway: "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..."

:lol:

Somehow, I don't imagine much more than 3 good years out of him; it would be foolish to sign him to a five-year contract.

Exactly. Three years is the most I think [insert team here] will get out of him, beyond that I don't see him playing at the same level or hell, even playing at all.

Having said that, I think he'll end up at the Redskins or the Dolphins.

Last edited:
Didn't realize he was 35. Yeah, a 5-year deal is definitely pushing it. His body will never withstand the abuse after a few more years. Just look at Favre.

It feels weird that there is an aging veteran on the market and the Vikings appear to have no interest.:lol:

They have an aging stadium that couldn't finish out the season.

Technically they don't have a stadium at the moment as the Lease for the Metrodome ran out at the end of last season and there is no deal for a new one yet:lol:

So tired of the Manning story. Yes he is a first ballot hall of famer, yes he is one of the best ever qb's but his release from the Colts should have been done a long time ago. I wish him P. Manning well and I hope that his neck can withstand another year or three of being sacked..

Holy Jesus! Reports are indicating that the Redskins have traded THREE 1st-Round picks and a 2nd Round pick to the Rams for the 2nd overall pick in this year's draft. RG3 Time!

RG3-- enjoy your three years holding a clipboard with NO weapons on offense.

Back