NFS Shift 2 Unleashed PS3

• Thread starter Florin85
  • 35 comments
Romania
Arad
Floris85
This game on PS3 its good !!? I want to buy it , for setup i have the G27 Wheel Steering. The reason why i want to buy this game , is FIA GT3 Championship & FIA GT1 Championship .

I picked up Shift2 and first decided to tr it out with the DS3 controller first before I run it with my Gran Turismo Wheel.

The game makes you do a few practice laps with a "boroughed" G-R and it calibrates your driving assist, then lets you try them out or run a the intro race.

This was an utter nightmare, felt like it was near impossible to drive, I only tagged a first by taking a serious short cut along the grass. I was a little pissed, but just wanted to get through the race to open up the career and main menu.

I knew from playing Shift 1 this is a port of those mentioned PC racing sim games and there was an advanced settings menu in Shift 1 that needed to be corectly adjusted to enjoy the game. I figurred it was probabbly the same thing here, just I had a little troubble finding the menu. Once found I adjusted them up and PRESTO its driveable, little trweaking and shes a blast, consistent laps, mastering corners and killing the driving line....

Alright now time for my Driving Force Gran Turismo Wheel from Logitec :D

I hit the track with her in default settings and its a disaster, cars feel floaty, slugish crazy twitchy & it was again a nightmare to drive.. However as in Shift 1 the wheels advanced settings needed to be adjusted to make it real.

For some stupid reason they have the Steering reduced to 270 degrees. This is retarded especially if you have a wheel with 900 degreese rotation (as is becoming the norm) and are used to FM or GT. Here lies the BIGGEST ISSUE, and when you simply change this to 900 degrees and make sence of the stupid adjuster system, its actually quite simple and easy to dial in.

0% Dead Zone On all inputs

50% On all inputs Sensitivity meaning Linear, the car will turn the wheels to where you point them with no acceleration or delay of the input.

The Speed and other you can fiddle with to your liking

They have the dumbest adjuster system known to tuning cars. This needs to be understood. Dead center (or lets say the half way point of any setting) is neutral setting and adjusting to the left or right of that center point will vary the adjustment in opposite directions, but the nominal value increases from 0 from the furthers left point on the adjuster. WTF!?!?!?!?!? None of the values are something you would see as a setting on the car. There is no -2 degrees camber but an adjustment that will get you -2 camber even though you wont know it for sure lol...

They do adjustment purely on a "feel it out" basis and in no way let you simply input the real world values for wheel angles etc.

Probably a better example is the Steering Sensitivity

@ 50% it is linier. Going Higher than 50 makes responce slower, slugish, lowering it makes the turn faster.

Many let downs on a whole I have to say. The Car list is so small its not funny, but GT spoilled us rotten on that one, hopefully GT6 wont be a let down like GT5 with a bunch of GT4 cars lol. The tuning menu is stupid and frustrating, but once you adopt the blindfold vieu of the nominal values and force your brain to simply ignore the nominal value and only pay attention to the variation from center and changes the adjustments make to handling, you can get the job done.

The cars look like a video game, arcadish, but still well done and good looking, GT5 has visually spoilled us on Premiums once you get past the terrible shadows and cheap smoke they are stunning, its a visual masterpiece in a still shot.

Okay. So Now I got the wheel set up. The Settings adjusted to real world no aids, I have an understanding of the stupid adjuster system. I hit the track and start Racing the Career....

I can't Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit one track after the other, not leaving until I master all corners, kill the driving line and nail all achievements. I keep going, the game is exillerating.

Not conforming to a SIMULATOR but going for SIM-Ish style, they hit the nail on the head as far as in car racing experience, exitement, and in the end a more realistic end result using arcade stuff. Its incredible how awesome the experience in. It really does make GT5 feel boring, bland, more like driving in a big beutifull digital painting, everything so crisp and clean and nice :D Shift 2 is rubber mucking up the windshield real tradng paint and body parts falling off, an optical illusion to give you an incredible sence of speed (very "un-sim" but the end result is remarkable much more real then the GT5 200mph feels the same as 20mph senselessness), a smack in the head when you crash, a helmet cam, that give a much better driver perspective looking into corners..

Overall its actually Exciting, its an experience. I love it.

Its a shame this game flopped especially since 9 out of 10 people with bad stuff to say are all describing problems from them not correctly setting up the controller or wheel and not actally faults in the game. Whos fault is this? Not the user entirely. You see the game in there is you have the sense to find it, most rush to quit so fast they never really figure out WHY they are having problems, they just chock it up to the game must be crap. On top of the fct this is Shift 2, and the adjustment and need for adjustment is carried over, so it should not be a surprise to anybody who played Shift 1

BUT

The default settings are so stupid they should of learned from Shift 1 that they should be set up in default with 900 degrees rotation, forget the intro what assist do you need, it should be a intro calibration of the advanced settings. This is all true, it still doesnt tke a brainiack to figure out there would be some setting for the controller or wheel to be calibrated before huffing up like little girls quitting the game talking crp about it, when the real problem is the user.

Shift 2 is awesome, one of the best racing expiriences you can have on the PS3, its going to make GT5 BOOOOOOORING

Just make sure you set up your wheel correctly, bump it up to 900 degreese rotation keep in mind 50 sensitivity is linear, lower faster, higher slower. Dead zones Zero and away you go.

Its adictive even though it has a bunch of short comings. So so car detail, small car list, retarded adjuster system in the tuning menu, limited variation on little things, too much variationn on others.... Forget all that, the behind the wheel experience is remarkable....

Its only too bad that people were not smart enough to figure out the controller or wheel need the advanced settings configurred for it to drive more real after it was the same way with Shift 1.. Seriously? I know they could of made the default settings better or at least start at 900 degrees rotation, but duh, Shift 1 should of taught people what to expect, or reminded them of it on the first lap as it reminded me... Maybe the game would of gotten more support, then more update, with more DLC.... Instead NfS is going back to the stupid crap it was before, mostly because people refuse to accept a NFS tittle as a good driving game even if its better then most, they have a mental block. They probably would of done better had they not tagged Shift with "Need for Speed" from the start... Woould of done better if it had only been called Shift, from Shift # 1

Last edited:
Really, it's all about personal preference. The cars are a bit loose, which provides a challenge. I mainly love the cars/car customizing on the game.

I am a huge Shift fan myself. It is definitely worth it but there are a few things you have to be before jumping in. Go in it with an open mind and ignore the naysayers and numbers people love to put out. The majority hates this game because it does not drive like their favorite or typical racing game. Sim or no sim, does it really matter to YOU? Do you go with what you feel or what others feel? Something like audiophiles, they believe every sound should be set to flat. And if it is not set to flat then something is wrong with your ears. YOU are not allowed to use loudness, bass, treble, or an eq to adjust to what YOU like. If you do then you are a dummy.

Back to the game. Take the same cars in Forza, GT5, and Shift around the same track. Forget which is which and who made what. Shift fills in where GT5 and Forza is missing. They may have better physics and between you and me, it is bland and boring. I say this all the time, is racing bland and boring? I really felt like I was inside the car feeling everything around me. The other two games are great but not near to what Shift was for me. In GT5 and Forza all the roads are nice and smooth and refined. If you made a mistake you aren't punished as much. Shift feels and sounds raw. It takes much more finesse and messing up it will punish you. When I tried the Pagani Zonda R in Shift (the Ring) it was insane. Now taking that same car around the same track in Forza or GT, it was a bit boring. The AI is also more human-like. Yes they can be shady but it is definitely closer to playing with a human. The track selection destroys both of those games (with all DLC). The drag racing is also worlds better. The cars and works conversions to certain cars with cockpit upgrades is nice. All cars have their own dials and gauges and not the same generic ones that those other 2 racers use.

The game is absolutely drivable. It may take some learning curve and adjustments to make. Anyone here would do laps around me and if I can do it then everyone can, IF they wanted to. By the way, Shift made me a much better driver and drifter in GT and Forza!

The one thing that sucks is that the game is not supported or being talked about much. There is no community like GT or Forza. This where Shift feels dead. Only a hand full of people appreciates it. So if the numbers and the majority has little to no influence on you, then give it a shot.

Last edited:
If someone wants to play Shift game with Shift physics but without all the freezing drama then Ferrari Racing Legends is the game you looking for.

I'm still playing with mine friend on line sometimes, and it's huge fun.

I do like this game! But, it does frustrate me, a little...I still need to "tweak" the settings. I like the way it sounds and looks, I haven't gotten all that far in career mode and that's my problem. I just haven't given it much of a chance. But I DO like what I see, that's why it's still in my library.

I got this game a few days ago. After a couple days of tweaking some settings, I really like it. The track list (especially with the Legends pack) is outstanding (why don't more console games have Road America? The license must be cheap). The AI races you close. The other cars scale to be similar to your own so you aren't racing a fully tuned GT-R against a bunch of Foci.

At the beginning, steering inputs felt more like suggestions. Once you get the settings right, you can be extremely accurate in you line. I think getting this set up is off-putting for most people, but if you spend a bit of time getting it right, this game is a real blast.

All in all, I think this was a good purchase, and a nice change of pace from GT5. There's a lot that I like about this, and a few things that other sim-racing games could benefit from incorporating.

I'm about a week in to owning this game, and I love it. With the correct settings, this game is incredibly enjoyable. I'm sad I'm a few years late to the party. This is surprisingly becoming one of my favorite racing games, which I couldn't say about the first Shift.

I agree I am really liking this game this time. I just need some Autolog friends now. If anyone wants to add me to compete on times add GTP_Frizbe

Frizbe
I agree I am really liking this game this time. I just need some Autolog friends now. If anyone wants to add me to compete on times add GTP_Frizbe

Just sent you a Friend Request.

Feel free to add me as well. gman1647

Add dj_ali007 for some autolog times, haven't played in a while, will come online to clear all races one day...

I am a huge Shift fan myself. It is definitely worth it but there are a few things you have to be before jumping in. Go in it with an open mind and ignore the naysayers and numbers people love to put out. The majority hates this game because it does not drive like their favorite or typical racing game. Sim or no sim, does it really matter to YOU? Do you go with what you feel or what others feel? Something like audiophiles, they believe every sound should be set to flat. And if it is not set to flat then something is wrong with your ears. YOU are not allowed to use loudness, bass, treble, or an eq to adjust to what YOU like. If you do then you are a dummy.

Back to the game. Take the same cars in Forza, GT5, and Shift around the same track. Forget which is which and who made what. Shift fills in where GT5 and Forza is missing. They may have better physics and between you and me, it is bland and boring. I say this all the time, is racing bland and boring? I really felt like I was inside the car feeling everything around me. The other two games are great but not near to what Shift was for me. In GT5 and Forza all the roads are nice and smooth and refined. If you made a mistake you aren't punished as much. Shift feels and sounds raw. It takes much more finesse and messing up it will punish you. When I tried the Pagani Zonda R in Shift (the Ring) it was insane. Now taking that same car around the same track in Forza or GT, it was a bit boring. The AI is also more human-like. Yes they can be shady but it is definitely closer to playing with a human. The track selection destroys both of those games (with all DLC). The drag racing is also worlds better. The cars and works conversions to certain cars with cockpit upgrades is nice. All cars have their own dials and gauges and not the same generic ones that those other 2 racers use.

The game is absolutely drivable. It may take some learning curve and adjustments to make. Anyone here would do laps around me and if I can do it then everyone can, IF they wanted to. By the way, Shift made me a much better driver and drifter in GT and Forza!

The one thing that sucks is that the game is not supported or being talked about much. There is no community like GT or Forza. This where Shift feels dead. Only a hand full of people appreciates it. So if the numbers and the majority has little to no influence on you, then give it a shot.

Agree!

Feel free to add me for some autolog competition or online track days and races!

My mate and I usually race or just play cat n mouse on Spa, ring gp, silverstone and a few other tracks in the GT3 cars....good times!

Shift is best game but if you try Shift 2 is also trust me it's worth game i'm also big fan of shift 1 and after few races on shift 2 i unistalled from my machine didn't like it much cause of helmet cam and few days i found helmet cam hack so i changed and now i like shift 2 and i realize it's best game out there in car sport game

I play shift 2 purely for the sound. They nailed all the car sounds, especially the race cars. The way you hear the dogs in the gears bouncing on top of each other on deceleration, and the crackle the cars get on over run, just intoxicating.

Pick it. NFS Shift 2 Unleashed is the best racing game for the PS3 right now 👍
@mr_serious got me interested and after seeing a pair of reviews:

I picked it up for 10 bucks :cheers:, which honorable members of this forum also play this game?
I think this will be the game i will be cheating on GT with in 2014 (the divorce papers are prepared already) :dopey:

Last edited:
@mr_serious got me interested and after seeing a pair of reviews:

I picked it up for 10 bucks :cheers:, which honorable members of this forum also play this game?
I think this will be the game i will be cheating on GT with in 2014 (the divorce papers are prepared already) :dopey:

I still play it when I'm bored with CoD and GTA, Feel free to fr me if you'r playing it. Drifting is my favorite thing to do:tup:

I still play it when I'm bored with CoD and GTA, Feel free to fr me if you'r playing it. Drifting is my favorite thing to do:tup:
Cheers brave jongen, i'm playing the xbox version tough so dunno if we could team up, but if we could it would be great to compare times on the autolog for starters ;)

Cheers brave jongen, i'm playing the xbox version tough so dunno if we could team up, but if we could it would be great to compare times on the autolog for starters ;)
Unfortunately I'm playing the PS3 version :(, Would've been cool the compare our times to and have some fun online.

I once had this game, but I sold it. I regret it, too. I will probably purchase another copy later on. I miss playing it.

The car selections, and car customization is great. I love drifting in this game, too.

If we could gather 8 players for on line races we could pump some live into Shift 2 on PS3, some people still want to do King of the Hill trophy which requires to become a champion in duel on line races. 8 players would be enough.

If we could gather 8 players for on line races we could pump some live into Shift 2 on PS3, some people still want to do King of the Hill trophy which requires to become a champion in duel on line races. 8 players would be enough.
Yeah that would be pretty cool, Since I never ever see anyone online in this game. I'll be in if more people will join:tup:

I would be interested in joining.

Back