||Nicknamealguem's GT4 Photomode Gallery||

Another awesome update Luis 👍 I love the 350Z shot, the car is amazingly clean and I love the soft feel, but the road texture is a little crappy. There are very few people (alex, franz, TW, and Mog come to mind) that can get realistic-looking tarmac, though. The GT-R shot has great blur and car cleaning. The Renault is a great PmC (?) shot, with great composition. The phototravel scenery shot has great tones and composition. It has amazing realism as well. Keep up the great work, and prepare for a tough battle with me :mischievous:
Thanks for your deep comments. As for the realistic tarmac, I tried to talk to alexwrc, but he didn't want to reveal his secret, sadly :(

AWESOME update. The Z is super, super clean and the renault is gorgeous. These are amazing shots full of quality 👍
Thanks. Long time no see you. :)
It's always great to see you stopping by every now and then. How about an update?

real nice update you have here......The Renault 5 Turbo pic is the one that i like most though. I used gaussian blur on my last gallery update and i think it turned out ok....check it out and tell me your opinion....:)
Thanks. Glad you liked it 👍

NTX
Everytime I come here...my eyes glow when they see you shots Luis!!! Really!! No more words to describe how your work is essencial to GT4 Photomode around here!!

:cheers:

BIG Nuno!!! Thanks for such kind words. I always appreciate when you stop by. 👍

______

Here are some of my recent entries. They will get added to they're respective places. Enjoy:

Unedited Competition - Week 65

PmC - Week 189

Customised Competition - Week 16

2.0 - Week 125

I was hoping for some feedback on those. Anyway, more entries:

Unedited Competition - Week 66

Photomode Competition - Week 190

Customised Competition - Week 17

2.0 Advanced Competition - Week 126

Thanks TVR.

I've tried a phew new techniques on this one, getting ready for the 2.0 Tournament. The photograph itself is old, the editing was a work in progress, started when the PmC tournament finished and started finished today.

I used Franz said technique of getting more speed the closest to the camera, but I don't know at what extend it worked.
Also, I made some mistakes in the edition, mainly in the panel gaps, where I had forgotten to change the opacity of them. I only realized it when I was too far on the edition to go back.

I'm trying to get in shape for the tournament, it won't be easy beating all those Photomode/Photoshop savvy, but I'll try.

Comments and criticism are always welcome.

Last edited:
I think the best way is to divide the background in two parts; the road and background. Give the road a really fast blur, and the background the same. But now reduce the opacity of the background layer, that should give some sweet results. I haven't tried it yet, mainly because I haven't fired up the PS2 in a while now, but I do think this can work nicely. In reality, high speed blur shots of cars show as if the background has a less opacity of blur than the road near the camera, hence why I came up with this idea. Give it a try and let us know the results! 👍

I already tried that in the past, and I have to say I didn't really liked the results.

I'll see what I can dig up in terms of speed blur. Maybe multiple opacity and layers is the solution.... I use multiple layers, but not to the extend I am actually thinking.

Thanks for the comment and for some tips. 👍

I think the road has been well blurred, good job!
For the amount of blur you need, it all depends on the composition. For your WRX vs R34 shot, you already accomplish the blur to become a bunch random lines near the camera which is exactly what you need. Sometimes the GT4 road has its own texture, you would want to blur the hell out of them, because you want to see fine lines not some 50px long thick stretched marks.

My other approach is to clean the road first and adds noise. Or create a standalone noise layer and then multiple/screen/overlay(whatever) it to merge with the road. Here is an example of this approach: Link

Speaking of noise, I would not suggest to put noise over the background AND the road area that isn't close to the camera, unless you prefer gust blur like in Auto Modellista :lol:. The principle of adding noise is to give extra road surface texture. Doesn't matter it is a blur or stationary shot, use the same method how you treat the road surface. Will that tiny texture to be seen far from the camera? I would say no.

Bram also gives a very good idea about the opacity trick. You may want to try that for your background blur when it is scenic. Alexwrc also used opacity trick for the wheel blur as well, definitely an interesting technique to perfect your blur skills.

Thanks SVX.

Hmmm, a standalone noise layer, overlaying the road. Very interesting. I'll remember to not add noise to the background, as well as the part of the road farthest from the camera. I have to train this methods. Thanks for the tips, franz.

Also, the link you gave me, goes in the encounter of something that has always been bugging me. How the hell do I do that beautiful curved blur? I've been trying and trying for like, centuries, with no success. :(

The one I did on the Group B battle was pretty easy. As I stated earlier, I use a standalone layer for the noise, but I didn't mention how big it was. I actually created a new file in gigantic size, e.g. 10000x10000 pixels, filled with noise and put zoom blur to it, then it should look like a scene from Star War. Copy it over your GT4 shot and multiply or vivid light the layer. Now two methods: Distort>Twirl OR Free transform warp mode (Arc or Twist). The Free transform one is easier to play with. There's no specific setting for all situation, you just have to play around and use part of the noise layer to match your road curve. Once you have it matched, mask the unwanted part using 0% hardness brush. I am glad I now have a PC with Core i7. I remember it took me forever to find a right setting for the Twirl when using an old PC few years ago.

Anyhow this is the way to do curve blur line to pretend making curve blur. The actual curve blur has to use Distort>Twirl to make the road straight for applying zoom blur, and apply Twirl again in opposite setting to restore the image.

Ah, yes curve blurs, I'm going to try it again soon. But it's a pain in the ass to get it right, it takes a huge time of practice before you can master it, let alone perfection it. Didn't some people, including 440 CHARGER, use a method in which they stretch out the road until the lines are near straight and then blur it? I can't really remember.

About the road noise; I've tried something different this time. Since I always use noise layers, this time I tried to give the road texture before blurring. So I did some layer work on the road with a texturizer layer and some noise and the results came out quite well. Also, the results I got in my qualifying entry for the tournament with both the opacity method and the usual eraser method were the same, so I guess you can use the method which you like since the results are basically the same 👍

That's quite a good picture. The road- and background blur is very strong - very good. The cars look clean; there are some rough edges which you can make disappear by just using the softening tool. The lighting is very good, but - for my likings - the Impreza seems a bit "washed out"; the colours are not strong enough, but adding a bit of saturation and gamma will fix it. No need to talk about the panel gaps, though. ;)

Thanks for the tips on the curved blur franz. I'm yet to try it, still didn't had time to dedicate to photoshooting and photoshop.

Thanks for the tips on the road noise. I use the craquelure to texturize the road or ground layer. It really gives more of a texture to the ground, whille not looking too "cheesy".

Thanks aswell for the comments InvencibleGT and jgda9rs 👍

_______

Well, I decided to change my tournament entry. I was not satisfied and confident with it, at all:

Hey all, what's happening Photomoders? :D

Well, with GT5 up ahead, I think it is time to "close" this gallery.
I had this update planned in my head since November 2009, where I started planning the Evolution/Revolution updates. I already knew how I wanted to close the gallery - with two cars battling the finish line.
I probably won't update this gallery no more, nor will I enter GT4 competitions.
Still, I will be around, for the delightful or sadness of some :P, hosting GT4 Photomode Competition until probably mid-October or until GT5 gets released.
Meanwhile, I'll start planning my way into GT5 - new gallery, new banners, new ways of presenting my work, etc; - and really have to take it out now that I am still on holidays, since I am starting (I hope) uni. this year.

Well, see you all in GT5 and enjoy. :D

- Click in each "thumbnail" to open full size. -

Awesome update! I like the difference between the two types of shots. The first picture has a really strange feel to it, not in a bad way or anything, its just that I haven't seen a shot from that angle before. The blurs looks awesome too, with the first being my favourite. 👍

Looking a little further up the page, I like the 190E image, the lighting is superb, and the contrast is excellent. I also like the shot with the three cars in it, again, I like how you have used the lighting to good effect. 👍

It's a shame that you are choosing to close your gallery now, when there is still life in the old girl yet. Maybe one more update? 💡 👍

What an update! I like the first picture because it's something you don't see often and the last one because of the very good road blur. 👍

A fitting closing ceremony, of sorts, Nick 👍

I'm not crazy on the 2nd and 4th shots, the blur seems almost too much, and not inline with what speed I feel the cars are traveling. Though I understand it's a highly stylized and divisive style. I'd like the first more if GT4's mottled road texture wasn't so obvious... so you're gonna have to re-do this shoot in GT5 ;). 3rd image is my favourite though, by far; the subtle glow on the finish line, it being the focal point instead of the cars, which are rushing towards the line neck and neck. Fantastic. Really brings out that feeling of battling to the very end.

This gave me a chance to re-view a lot of your gallery, since I haven't been around much in a long time. It's awesome to see the progression over time! As for more recent stuff, I really like this post; you certainly were on a certain composition habit during then, huh? ;).

They're all so nice though, the shallow DoF really working in every image's favour. Something about the colours of the Delta shot just floor me. Actually, it's probably the lines as well. I always avoiding taking pics of the Merc at the 'Ring because it felt too... done, but you nailed it with a nice clean, simple shot that makes me want to load up GT4 again just to toss it around there on N1's.

Is it bad I already have my entire gallery's template ready for GT5?! :lol: I've noticed we've all started updating our sigs in preparation too; I have no idea how long the Center tag has been banned from sigs, so that was a shock to me!

See you out there on the track in... 59 days! :cheers:

Awesome update! I like the difference between the two types of shots. The first picture has a really strange feel to it, not in a bad way or anything, its just that I haven't seen a shot from that angle before. The blurs looks awesome too, with the first being my favourite. 👍

Looking a little further up the page, I like the 190E image, the lighting is superb, and the contrast is excellent. I also like the shot with the three cars in it, again, I like how you have used the lighting to good effect. 👍

It's a shame that you are choosing to close your gallery now, when there is still life in the old girl yet. Maybe one more update? 💡 👍

Thanks mag.
I really can't remember how I got that light in the 190E, but I also like it. Strange that I never managed to get good light in the ring.

What an update! I like the first picture because it's something you don't see often and the last one because of the very good road blur. 👍
Thanks for the comment, Phantom.

A fitting closing ceremony, of sorts, Nick 👍

I'm not crazy on the 2nd and 4th shots, the blur seems almost too much, and not inline with what speed I feel the cars are traveling. Though I understand it's a highly stylized and divisive style. I'd like the first more if GT4's mottled road texture wasn't so obvious... so you're gonna have to re-do this shoot in GT5 ;). 3rd image is my favourite though, by far; the subtle glow on the finish line, it being the focal point instead of the cars, which are rushing towards the line neck and neck. Fantastic. Really brings out that feeling of battling to the very end.

Thanks Slip, glad you liked it. I'll be sure to try to re-do that shot in GT5. ;)

This gave me a chance to re-view a lot of your gallery, since I haven't been around much in a long time. It's awesome to see the progression over time! As for more recent stuff, I really like this post; you certainly were on a certain composition habit during then, huh? ;).

They're all so nice though, the shallow DoF really working in every image's favour. Something about the colours of the Delta shot just floor me. Actually, it's probably the lines as well. I always avoiding taking pics of the Merc at the 'Ring because it felt too... done, but you nailed it with a nice clean, simple shot that makes me want to load up GT4 again just to toss it around there on N1's.
I sure did, the car is almost in the same frame position. It seems that, only on these final days I seemed to have reached the style I was looking for since day one, in both edition and photographic therms, and acquired that style. Though, I'm not certain if that style will continue for GT5. At least, edition wise, it will change dramatically.

Is it bad I already have my entire gallery's template ready for GT5?! :lol: I've noticed we've all started updating our sigs in preparation too; I have no idea how long the Center tag has been banned from sigs, so that was a shock to me!

See you out there on the track in... 59 days! :cheers:
You already have your entire gallery template ready? Someone is in a hurry :P.
I still haven't begun, I am still gathering some ideas and trying some new techniques. But I sure want to have it all finished before I start uni. this month.

_____

Anyway, I am thinking of releasing something...GT5 related, probably this week, stay tuned

I'll miss your updates =/. I haven't been on here in a long time and everyone I remember is also long gone. Oh well, I hope to see you all on the otherside. :) (GT5 that is)

Thanks David, I hope I see you all in the other side and that my PS3 doesn't fail me. :scared:
______

Anyway, here is a sneak preview of my future GT5 gallery layout:

- Click for Full View -

Remember, the actual layout may be/look different than the one shown in the blue prints.

Looks great 👍 I think I will prefer to share my photos on GTP as well. Post-processing is still my thing :embarrassed:

That's a nice layout. 👍

I like how you are naming your updates after songs. I've used the exact same theme for my gallery names, and for the updates too. Of course I am going to do the same in GT5, but first, I need to find a good name for my gallery... 💡

I like the new layout, it's innovative. 👍
Thanks. The real thing looks even better than the blue prints. :sly: :D

Looks great 👍 I think I will prefer to share my photos on GTP as well. Post-processing is still my thing :embarrassed:

There are many advantages in sharing GT5 Photos in/with the GTP community. The main one for me, is that it's big enough and its centered in GT only, so you can gather more REAL feedback about your work, and improve it quickly.
Has for other communities like deviantart or flickr, they are bigger and centered in arts (photography, etc.) but you won't get as much feedback or real feedback, has in GTP.
Normally I share everything GT related in GTP and only the ones I really like get to deviantart.

That's a nice layout. 👍

I like how you are naming your updates after songs. I've used the exact same theme for my gallery names, and for the updates too. Of course I am going to do the same in GT5, but first, I need to find a good name for my gallery... 💡

Great minds think alike. In fact, I did one music update a while back with Life in Technicolor II song from Coldplay, and I really enjoy doing it. I wanted to do more music updates, but decided to wait for GT5. 👍

Luis, I am really looking forward to seeing your new GT5 gallery later. The preview is great, well organized, and frankly sounds pretty sexy. I can't wait to get back into the swing of things when it comes out. The Life in Technicolor was your sequel to our joint update back in the day if I recall correctly. How bout some sort of collaboration in the future?

You already have your entire gallery template ready? Someone is in a hurry :P.
I still haven't begun, I am still gathering some ideas and trying some new techniques. But I sure want to have it all finished before I start uni. this month.

Now that you've released this blueprint... I'm excited to see the final thing :D. Looks great; nice and organized, easy to keep updated. You've obviously put a good amount of thought into this and it's definitely going to pay off 👍.

Yeah, I had a rough template for my first post / gallery organization. No update/preview template like you though, because I'm thinking I'll stick to the classic old "just thumbnails" for a while, or give some updates a special graphical representation unique for them :).

You actually influenced me to change mine; I widened it a bit. I imagine a fair amount of us are using higher resolutions than we used to back in 2005! :lol:

Yeah, I'm sticking to GTP for Photomode stuff. Most enthusiast community, easiest place to get tips and tricks, and there's freedom to get creative with the post, like you said Franz 👍

Thanks. The real thing looks even better than the blue prints. :sly: :D

You don't say... :D

There are many advantages in sharing GT5 Photos in/with the GTP community. The main one for me, is that it's big enough and its centered in GT only, so you can gather more REAL feedback about your work, and improve it quickly.
Has for other communities like deviantart or flickr, they are bigger and centered in arts (photography, etc.) but you won't get as much feedback or real feedback, has in GTP.
Normally I share everything GT related in GTP and only the ones I really like get to deviantart.

👍

Great minds think alike. In fact, I did one music update a while back with Life in Technicolor II song from Coldplay, and I really enjoy doing it. I wanted to do more music updates, but decided to wait for GT5. 👍

I'm jealous you guys can manage that; I've wanted to, but I usually leave it for a few special themed sets, or just the thread title when I update it. If we're going to have easy Youtube access for GT5 videos, I imagine some people's music-themed (or named) updates will have a much closer tie to the song in question! It definitely adds a different feeling to the updates themselves, I find.

Luis, I am really looking forward to seeing your new GT5 gallery later. The preview is great, well organized, and frankly sounds pretty sexy. I can't wait to get back into the swing of things when it comes out. The Life in Technicolor was your sequel to our joint update back in the day if I recall correctly. How bout some sort of collaboration in the future?

Thanks Swiss. And of course, a collaboration would be great. I don't know if GT5 will have online photomode, but if it has, it would be fantastic.

Edit:

Now that you've released this blueprint... I'm excited to see the final thing :D. Looks great; nice and organized, easy to keep updated. You've obviously put a good amount of thought into this and it's definitely going to pay off 👍.

Yeah, I had a rough template for my first post / gallery organization. No update/preview template like you though, because I'm thinking I'll stick to the classic old "just thumbnails" for a while, or give some updates a special graphical representation unique for them :).
Thanks. I have to pre-set everything, in order to spend less and time with Photoshop, doing updates.
I used to do a new panel for each update, just to make it equal to previous updates, I think it isn't worth it.

You actually influenced me to change mine; I widened it a bit. I imagine a fair amount of us are using higher resolutions than we used to back in 2005! :lol:
Well, if GT5 really delivers 18MP images, yeah, at least 1280px along the widest side will be delivered (more than that, I think it would be overkill).

You don't say... :D
:P

I'm jealous you guys can manage that; I've wanted to, but I usually leave it for a few special themed sets, or just the thread title when I update it. If we're going to have easy Youtube access for GT5 videos, I imagine some people's music-themed (or named) updates will have a much closer tie to the song in question! It definitely adds a different feeling to the updates themselves, I find.
Its quite easy to do music updates. I normally associate music with different moods and colors and it gets easier to work from there. Then again, I associate things with colors, must be crazy or something. :scared:

Last edited:
Back