Nintendo Switch

Odyssey looked fantastic! A lot of Switch sales off the back of that me thinks.

Gear. Club has me interested too.

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2 reconfirmed for 2017, with gameplay emphasizing teamwork more like XC1.
  • Metroid: Samus Returns, a 2.5D apparent remake of Metroid II with analog aiming and a parry move...on 3DS (boo).
  • Metroid Prime 4 in development for Switch.
  • Super Mario Odyssey is way deeper than I expected and looks like it will be really, really fun. That gameplay mechanic will be hilarious and neat to explore, and it excuses the dumb eyes on Mario's hat.
  • If a Pokémon RPG is coming to the Switch, it will be the first Pokémon game I play since Blue/Yellow!
  • Kirby for Switch; four-way gameplay in the style of Return to Dream Land, but with The Crystal Shard's ability combinations!
  • Yoshi for Switch; another cooperative craft-styled Yoshi game, this time paper/diorama style with depth and perspective-flipping.
Looks like I'm getting a Switch this fall. :D Looks like I'm also going to have to get myself a 2DS/3DS, as Samus Returns is the last straw. :irked:

Oh no. While I'm more than hyped for MP4 (the only other game to make me feel so much is DBFZ) I'm a little worried. Why? Retro aren't the developers.

Kensuke Tanabe (developer of the first three) is going to oversee everything which puts me at ease again, but the development as a whole is being handled by a “talented new development team” which brings up the worries again. :scared:

To be honest I felt the first three Prime games drifted away from greatness with each iteration. In my humble opinion Prime 2 was a spiteful game that seemingly went out of its way to be miserable to play, but at least it preserved the right atmosphere and sense of isolation. Prime 3 went in a weird direction with the story and cutscenes and all, gravitating toward a generic sci-fi FPS, though SkyTown was an awesome setting and the Wiimote+Nunchuck gameplay was on point (the only way I could stand to finish Prime 2 in the MPT version).

The point being that while I'm not sure how much of any of that had to do with Retro Studios or Nintendo, I'm not too worried about Prime 4 being handed off to someone else at this point. You and I have talked about this once before, @Terronium-12, but I always felt the Prime games weren't as true to Metroid as an exploration-based platformer as they could have been. IMO, Metroid is more about empowering the player with movement and reaching new places than it is about shooting monsters, and the Prime games felt quite limited in movement in favor of combat.

If this "talented new development team" can find a way to make Metroid Prime 4 more fluid and satisfying in exploring and traversing the environment, I'm interested to see what direction MP4 could take. If it were up to me, I'd actually fashion the game after Breath of the Wild and the examples it set.

Oh no. While I'm more than hyped for MP4 (the only other game to make me feel so much is DBFZ) I'm a little worried. Why? Retro aren't the developers.

Kensuke Tanabe (developer of the first three) is going to oversee everything which puts me at ease again, but the development as a whole is being handled by a “talented new development team” which brings up the worries again. :scared:
But that begs the question...

What is Retro working on?

To be honest I felt the first three Prime games drifted away from greatness with each iteration. In my humble opinion Prime 2 was a spiteful game that seemingly went out of its way to be miserable to play, but at least it preserved the right atmosphere and sense of isolation. Prime 3 went in a weird direction with the story and cutscenes and all, gravitating toward a generic sci-fi FPS, though SkyTown was an awesome setting and the Wiimote+Nunchuck gameplay was on point (the only way I could stand to finish Prime 2 in the MPT version).

I'll agree that Prime 3 strayed a little too far off the beaten path, but the core story and lore (more on that in a bit) made it plenty enjoyable. Though it probably doesn't help that I only remember two things from 3: how much of a manipulative badass Dark Samus was, and Hyper Mode. It wasn't new but I'll be damned if it wasn't OP. :lol:

2 was actually my favorite because it felt so different from the original, and I love the original. What made it feel spiteful to you?

The point being that while I'm not sure how much of any of that had to do with Retro Studios or Nintendo, I'm not too worried about Prime 4 being handed off to someone else at this point. You and I have talked about this once before, @Terronium-12, but I always felt the Prime games weren't as true to Metroid as an exploration-based platformer as they could have been. IMO, Metroid is more about empowering the player with movement and reaching new places than it is about shooting monsters, and the Prime games felt quite limited in movement in favor of combat.

That we did. For what Prime set out to be, the traditional mechanics wouldn't have been quite enough, at least that's the way I can see it now having gone through them all. I wouldn't necessarily call any of the titles an FPS either. Someone on IGN (of all places) referred to it as an FPA (Action) and I'd agree with that.

It has just enough of the traditional gameplay that it feels like the Metroid game you'd expect, but with a twist. I would argue that when you take out all of the non-essential interactions (Dark Samus, Quadraxis, Ridley, etc.) the game is just as much about exploration and 'platforming' as you'd expect. To me, going around and scanning every little thing is one of the best things about the series.

If this "talented new development team" can find a way to make Metroid Prime 4 more fluid and satisfying in exploring and traversing the environment, I'm interested to see what direction MP4 could take. If it were up to me, I'd actually fashion the game after Breath of the Wild and the examples it set.

I'm all for a new, revamped/improved experience as well, if done right but "that" game just messed everything up. "That" game could even be examined from a gameplay perspective, because oddities aside it really handled well.

But that begs the question...

What is Retro working on?

Another Metroid game, hopefully. Seriously it's been way too long since the last proper one.

I know Metroid's a big deal, but with Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid Samus Returns both being announced, I find it highly unlikely that Nintendo would have Retro working on a 3rd major Metroid release concurrently.

The most probable and boring answer is that they're working on more Donkey Kong Country. But maybe they'll surprise us with something unexpected.

2 was actually my favorite because it felt so different from the original, and I love the original. What made it feel spiteful to you?
It made getting across the map tedious, taking any opportunity it could to block you off, making you spend more time getting around with Prime's slow jumps and turns. This includes trekking back and forth to portals to swap dimensions to try to find ways from A to B.

Beam ammo is a terrible thing, yet you absolutely need the light and dark beams to dispatch more formidable enemies in a reasonable amount of time. What's worse is the game misdirects you from the best way to collect beam ammo, telling you to shoot enemies instead of informing you that you can shoot crates instead (which I didn't figure out until MPT). Once you figure that out, ammo is pointless but still necessary to collect.

It spends the whole length of the game disempowering the player, which I can respect thematically, but it does it by constantly tossing roadblocks and hurdles at you just for the sake of harassing the player, like all the Space Pirate rooms and some other annoying enemies. It seems intentionally annoying by design, which is why I consider it spiteful.

The creativity of the environments, hostile and moody atmosphere of Dark Aether (though it's very purple), and the clever and demanding boss battles are highlights. I think it probably has the best boss fights of the three Prime games, though the fudgy hitbox of Emperor Ing's final form felt like one last middle finger from a game that hated me for playing it. When I finally finished MP2 a couple years ago, I did it out of vengeance. :lol:

For what Prime set out to be, the traditional mechanics wouldn't have been quite enough, at least that's the way I can see it now having gone through them all. I wouldn't necessarily call any of the titles an FPS either. Someone on IGN (of all places) referred to it as an FPA (Action) and I'd agree with that.
What I meant by the FPS comment is that MP3 seemed to be drifting in that direction, away from the "FPA" that MP1 and MP2 represented. As if Nintendo thought they could pivot the franchise into their own Halo. I liked the game, but it was concerning. :odd:

It has just enough of the traditional gameplay that it feels like the Metroid game you'd expect, but with a twist. I would argue that when you take out all of the non-essential interactions (Dark Samus, Quadraxis, Ridley, etc.) the game is just as much about exploration and 'platforming' as you'd expect. To me, going around and scanning every little thing is one of the best things about the series.
My point is that the platforming is what was ultimately lacking, and it also impacts the nature of the exploration you do. It is deliberately slower, and MP1 is a classic for its contemplative experience, but in hindsight it's also very inhibiting and restrictive on where you can go and how.

In the 2D games, Samus is exceptionally athletic and swift, and from Super Metroid onward you're encouraged to try to reach what seems unreachable. In the Prime games, what's unreachable is just unreachable. When MP2 and MP3 tried to shoehorn in the wall jump and Screw Attack, they were clumsy gimmicks instead of empowering abilities.

I'm all for a new, revamped/improved experience as well, if done right but "that" game just messed everything up. "That" game could even be examined from a gameplay perspective, because oddities aside it really handled well.
I agree on the gameplay perspective. If it had a scenario and level design that was even in the ballpark of what a Metroid game should be, plus Wiimote+Nunchuck controls, I think it could have been great.

I'm just excited about MP4. I can't imagine it being bad - they know how many fans want this. Nintendo usually delivers. It'll be interesting, at least. I liked all the Prime games, but I'd say 1 was my favorite. It's been long enough now that they're all starting to blend together in my mind though.

Here's a prediction for what Retro is working on - Donkey Kong Country, but a complete re-imagining of it in a somewhat open world (still linear in most respects), and of course, not a side scroller. I don't think we've ever been able to control DK like that. It would certainly be interesting running through jungles as a big lovable gorilla. They made Metroid 3D, why not DK? Plus, he's my boy in Mario Kart:lol:

Yeah ARMS is pretty sweet... the motion controls are fun and I could see them being amusing for local multiplayer, but for single player/online I'll just stick to my pro controller.

Starting today, I'm officially saving up for a Switch. My plan is to buy one around the time Pokken Deluxe comes out, get that and perhaps pick up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as well. But I ultimately want a Switch for Super Mario Odyssey. That game looked amazing at E3.

Hopefully, availability of the Switch is less of an issue in a few months.

Starting today, I'm officially saving up for a Switch. My plan is to buy one around the time Pokken Deluxe comes out, get that and perhaps pick up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as well. But I ultimately want a Switch for Super Mario Odyssey. That game looked amazing at E3.

Hopefully, availability of the Switch is less of an issue in a few months.
Mario looks like a revolutionary moment for the franchise. Turning out very nicely! :D

On the other hand, they won't even let Sakamoto in the building for it.

After spending 13 hours with ARMS this weekend I'm sold on the concept and there is definitely depth to the fighting aspect. It plays out more like actual boxing than a fighting game so being patient helps a ton.

I wish there was more single player content though, if you don't want to fight online it's a waste of money at the current price.

After spending 13 hours with ARMS this weekend I'm sold on the concept and there is definitely depth to the fighting aspect. It plays out more like actual boxing than a fighting game so being patient helps a ton.

I wish there was more single player content though, if you don't want to fight online it's a waste of money at the current price.

I was thinking about picking up ARMS too once I get my Switch, but I want to see how the game evolves first since it's a new IP. I heard that it's going to get updates over time, so we'll see what happens.

I was thinking about picking up ARMS too once I get my Switch, but I want to see how the game evolves first since it's a new IP. I heard that it's going to get updates over time, so we'll see what happens.
For sure, I think we'll get a good selection of fighters and arenas, mode wise - Hopefully it develops. :D

In that article they said three key things about it - 'action, isolation and exploration'. I think the key to a good Metroid game is the last two, isolation and exploration. Right from the original on NES, isolation played a huge part. I love the feeling of being on a seemingly mostly empty planet and exploring. Games usually have a lot of hand-holding. The original Metroid did not. Just set you down and said 'here, figure it out'. I REALLY hope that's the direction they go with the new one. I don't think there really needs to be much of a story behind it

Update, I'm now getting my 🤬 kicked online in the higher ranks of ranked play. Currently hold a 36-27 record.

I really like ARMS but there's no denying the lack of content kills it for most. SFV all over again (though that was another game I enjoyed).

I found out yesterday about the new Metroid games, Metroid Prime 4 on Switch and the remake of 2 on the 3DS, and I am extremely excited but a little worried. I am a huge Metroid fan and I never thought I'd see new Prime or a new side-scroller, and to get both made me jump for joy.

For one, I'm happy to see a remake of Metroid 2, since I never was able to complete the original game. The whole 2.5D thing looks interesting. I do hope it feels like Super Metroid and I do also hope they get the music right, that's integral to the game's atmosphere if you ask me (same goes for Prime 4).

Two, I am worried about Metroid Prime 4, slightly, with Retro Studios not handling it, but I am confident that Nintendo can get it right. They did after-all create the series. I hope they focus on the aspects that made the series good to begin with, especially Prime 1, the exploration and isolation. Samus is best when alone on a dark, alien planet fighting off strange creatures. I think Prime 3 strayed a bit too far from the formula with more characters, though it wasn't bad.

I will be buying a switch just for Prime 4.

@Brend -- Commercially it's a smart decision for Nintendo to tackle online-multiplayer-centric gaming with IPs like Splatoon and ARMS, but it is certainly troubling how little singleplayer content there has been to support it. From a company who has shut down servers after just six years (MKWii for example), it seems a bit cheeky to offer games that are so thin without that connection to a server.

I'm still considering Splatoon 2 and hoping that they've expanded the singleplayer campaign significantly, because it could be really special and fun. I'm sure they've also balanced the multiplayer to make the experience somewhat less frustrating, so I will give that a try too.

@Brend -- Commercially it's a smart decision for Nintendo to tackle online-multiplayer-centric gaming with IPs like Splatoon and ARMS, but it is certainly troubling how little singleplayer content there has been to support it. From a company who has shut down servers after just six years (MKWii for example), it seems a bit cheeky to offer games that are so thin without that connection to a server.

I'm still considering Splatoon 2 and hoping that they've expanded the singleplayer campaign significantly, because it could be really special and fun. I'm sure they've also balanced the multiplayer to make the experience somewhat less frustrating, so I will give that a try too.
Long term enjoyment needs to be a key aspect for the Switch. I feel the first 6 months have been frontloaded multiplayer titles with Zelda bearing the brunt of single player.

That looks to change in the second half of the year though, and hopefully so. ARMS is great and all but I have no interest to lose a ton of time in it.

To be fair, the servers for Wii and DS online games were hosted by GameSpy who shut them down, not Nintendo.

To be fair, the servers for Wii and DS online games were hosted by GameSpy who shut them down, not Nintendo.
I kinda recalled that as what happened but I wasn't sure. 👍 I still don't have any more faith in the dependability of Nintendo's online infrastructure, honestly.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got an update yesterday that added a few neat changes. The item wheel no longer spins indefinitely online, so you can speed up the process by tapping the shoulder button. This was a small bug in the OG version where lag or something would stop you being able to 'speed up' the process.

Item distribution has been balanced to favor players based on position rather than distance to position. This means those in last place will have a better chance of getting a good item - regardless of how far behind they are.

Had a quick 30 minutes on the title last night and it appears to be a good change. Where I was getting 🤬 off at the item spam before, everything seems a bit more fair now. I could be totally wrong and just got lucky but it appears a lot more fun.

Also, Zelda's first DLC pack has went live.

Last edited:
Want!

original.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img...ml?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.2.4b24ae2b2h6roq

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got an update yesterday that added a few neat changes. The item wheel no longer spins indefinitely online, so you can speed up the process by tapping the shoulder button. This was a small bug in the OG version where lag or something would stop you being able to 'speed up' the process.

Item distribution has been balanced to favor players based on position rather than distance to position. This means those in last place will have a better chance of getting a good item - regardless of how far behind they are.

Had a quick 30 minutes on the title last night and it appears to be a good change. Where I was getting 🤬 off at the item spam before, everything seems a bit more fair now. I could be totally wrong and just got lucky but it appears a lot more fun.

Also, Zelda's first DLC pack has went live.
I'm about to get the game and Switch on Sunday actually and to be honest, this isn't the news I want to hear even though I'm late to the party :(

I actually liked the distance based item system, my only complaint was that 2nd place getting Triple Red Shells made it almost impossible for 1st to anything about it but it seemed like it was fixed by the idea of double items. This doesn't sound needed.

I guess I'm scared it's going to be like MK Wiis item system where it is almost impossible for 2nd to get to 1st since they'll be getting 🤬 items as well and have to rely on outside forces that they have no control over to even compete. This is why I felt like MK Wii was one of the weaker titles as it was just get 1st in the first corner and hope a Blue Shell doesn't show up which has nothing to do with the competition behind me. Hopefully when I try it, it may not be and actually something thats fair on both sides so 2nd isn't too powerful or extremely weak.

Granted this does give the OG MK8 some more distinct differences which makes me more willing to keep my original copy.

I'm about to get the game and Switch on Sunday actually and to be honest, this isn't the news I want to hear even though I'm late to the party :(

I actually liked the distance based item system, my only complaint was that 2nd place getting Triple Red Shells made it almost impossible for 1st to anything about it but it seemed like it was fixed by the idea of double items. This doesn't sound needed.

I guess I'm scared it's going to be like MK Wiis item system where it is almost impossible for 2nd to get to 1st since they'll be getting 🤬 items as well and have to rely on outside forces that they have no control over to even compete. This is why I felt like MK Wii was one of the weaker titles as it was just get 1st in the first corner and hope a Blue Shell doesn't show up which has nothing to do with the competition behind me. Hopefully when I try it, it may not be and actually something thats fair on both sides so 2nd isn't too powerful or extremely weak.

Granted this does give the OG MK8 some more distinct differences which makes me more willing to keep my original copy.
Don't worry, the difference isn't massive. It isn't like MKWii in that regard, there's just been a tweak to make it favour the new system rather than totally getting rid of the old one. So its still more compared to OG 8 rather than Wii. :)

Looking forward to seeing you on Switch. 👍

I know I'm probably late to this news but is it true that the online service will only be $20 USD are year and won't be implemented until 2018? :eek:

One of the reasons why I avoided getting myself Xbox Live was the outrageous price, if the Switch is around half that (I know Xbox Live has more features but I mainly just want to play games online), I'm willing to fork over that much for it when it comes to it.

Back