No Man's SkyPS4 

• Thread starter iainn
  • 1,425 comments
Speaking of jumps and travel, have they actually shown how it looks and works from the ship? Ie. flying from planet to another and jumping to other systems.

JvM
Speaking of jumps and travel, have they actually shown how it looks and works from the ship? Ie. flying from planet to another and jumping to other systems.

Yeah, look up some gameplay videos on Youtube and you'll see what it looks like.

Leaving one planet for another in the same system I think yes. Not if it's the fast jump option they allow games sites to use for system jumps. That won't be in the game we get.

I am thinking of pre-ordering this game but unsure on which one I want. If I do the Normal game get gamestops pre order bonus or I go with the limited edition and still get that plus the extras on the limited edition. Hmm. Torn between it. Since I want to see the limited edition bonuses.

Edit: Gamestop is no longer doing Limited editions. So Guess I have to go with the normal one.

Last edited:
Leaving one planet for another in the same system I think yes. Not if it's the fast jump option they allow games sites to use for system jumps. That won't be in the game we get.

That's right, we won't get the demo's ability to instantly jump anywhere. However, the hyperspace jump thing between systems has been shown in videos. It looks kind of like the tunnel-like wormhole travel in Stargate, except in a ship lol.

I am thinking of pre-ordering this game but unsure on which one I want. If I do the Normal game get gamestops pre order bonus or I go with the limited edition and still get that plus the extras on the limited edition. Hmm. Torn between it. Since I want to see the limited edition bonuses.

Edit: Gamestop is no longer doing Limited editions. So Guess I have to go with the normal one.

How about other resellers? Here in Belgium it still seems to be available for pre-order in some stores.

How about other resellers? Here in Belgium it still seems to be available for pre-order in some stores.

Bestbuy still had a few don't know on others really.

Edit:
Fun Fact.
The game will take 5 billion years to fully explore everything. Every planet. Every star formation.
Enjoy Gaming?

Last edited:
IGN released a gameplay video earlier today

Also here.

21 minutes of consecutive gameplay - by far the most we've ever seen of that I think.
Still looks very much like a love it or hate it game, and also still a bit worryingly - as many have suggested over the months - also still like one that could potentially get stale very quickly even for those who love it in the first hours. Hopefully they'll put our worries to shame.

The inventory interface looks *ahem* slightly inspired by Destiny. But if they had to get their inspiration somewhere I guess they could have chosen worse.

I liked that the distances in space appeared to not be scaled down to tiny. When he was pointing his ship in the direction of the moon of the planet he came from the HUD showed 16 minutes travel time at the current speed. I'm sure warping will close that distance a lot faster - and we saw a brief engine boost - but at least it adds to the sense of scale.

The starmap is MASSIVE.

On the technical side the video shows fairly near range vegetation pop-in and lots and lots of stuttering (I was actually thinking it might be my ageing laptop that had some trouble with smooth playback of the YouTube video, but I saw the same stutters when I lowered the video resolution). Hopefully they can iron out the stutters in the last two months. (Edit: Scratch that, looks like my laptop was to blame for the stuttering.)

Last edited:
JvM
Where did you see stuttering? I didn't see much at all. (@ 720p60)

Very frequently - at least several times per minute lasting several seconds. Seemed to be worst when he turned around inside the ground bases and the space station.
I'll check the video on my tablet, just in case my laptop might have been to blame for poor video playback.

Edit: Apparently my laptop was to blame for stuttering with the 720p60 video. Plays smoothly on my tablet.

Last edited:
It's all mathematically generated and there is no loading screen for anything because it isn't loading in huge amounts of graphics. Pop in is a fair trade off for that. Didn't see any stuttering though. Firefox stutters for me so I don't use it for YouTube anymore.

June can't come soon enough for me. This and Asset

I personally don't mind the pop in and I'm willing to accept it as part of the way the game is made, it's not a bug it's the way the code works, granted on PC it's possible this won't be an issue due to he bigger memory it has to throw at the engine.

After watching the video, it makes me want to get playing now.

It'd be great if the community around this game were to collaborate on a wiki, detailing each planet visited along with their flora and fauna. Since the vast, vast, vast majority of the planets visited will never be seen again by any other person, it would be nice to have them all compiled in one place to ogle over.

Still anticipating the release of this game, even if it's been such a long time since the first reveal. I'm not expecting it to be a game that'll have me sitting on the edge of my seat each time I play but more of a game I go to when I just want to relax and not have to think about not beating a particular level, spinning out or fixing crippling traffic jams as I do with the games I'm currently playing.

I have a plan for what I'll be doing most of the time in the game. First, get a decent amount of money on a home world by gathering resources. If that world's climate is hostile (Poisonous atmosphere or extreme temperatures), then I'll move from planet to planet until I find one that's safe. Next, once I'm at a stable economic situation, I'll start getting into the trade organizations. I expect to be harvesting rare resources, which is fine with me, as long as the reward is worth more than the effort. Like many others, my ultimate goal is to reach the center of the galaxy, so I'll be upgrading my ship(s) and weapons. Apparently, the closer you get to the center of the galaxy, things get more dangerous.

It'd be great if the community around this game were to collaborate on a wiki, detailing each planet visited along with their flora and fauna. Since the vast, vast, vast majority of the planets visited will never be seen again by any other person, it would be nice to have them all compiled in one place to ogle over.

Still anticipating the release of this game, even if it's been such a long time since the first reveal. I'm not expecting it to be a game that'll have me sitting on the edge of my seat each time I play but more of a game I go to when I just want to relax and not have to think about not beating a particular level, spinning out or fixing crippling traffic jams as I do with the games I'm currently playing.
It is said in the video that this game is effectively wiki proof.

It is said in the video that this game is effectively wiki proof.

Dan
That doesn't mean people aren't going to create guides showing the most valuable resources and items.

I agree with @Dan on this. In the latest video Shaun even mentions he'd like to see the community showing off what they've found and have.

A Wiki will be inevitable as there are common things we will all see, do and have playing the game. As for Wiki-ing all the animals and plants etc, I don't think it will be a job many would like to undertake and it will never be completed.

Doesn't the game have its own little encyclopedia? For all to see what has been discovered? I have always thought that a wiki for this game would be very amusing.

Doesn't the game have its own little encyclopedia? For all to see what has been discovered? I have always thought that a wiki for this game would be very amusing.

I thought of this as well. Abit like Enter the Gungeon where it comes with its own wiki of sorts.

Edit: Also I noticed some pop-in, particularly the rocks. Though it's more like texture streaming.

Anyone know if there will be trophies for this game yet?
If they are hopefully it's realistic to get them instead of go to every planet to get that or find planet with this and etc.

Surely there is little point in a wiki as you are likely to be x-bazillion light years away from any of the planets listed? I don't think you can just go to any place you want, not initially anyway. The previews I've seen with the devs have made it clear that you're likely to very seldom bump into anyone else. Also with so many planets, a wiki would be a little pointless, necessarily limited. It might be good for covering generic groups of flora and fauna though, plus types of cargo, typical prices etc.

@Tyger I agree a Wiki in the traditional sense is a pointless exercise. Listing all planets, plants and beasties is such a silly thing I think it could blow up the Internet is it was tried (jk).

Your suggestion on species of plant and animal etc is a good idea, but due to the nature of the procedural generation, the vast variation might even make that a mammoth task.

I think a basic Wiki with common things like the alien races and thier languages and your suit and possible upgrades etc which we will all have some contact with while we play would be good.

Personally I've been toying with the idea of a Blog, charting my time in the game written as a diary from the game characters point of view rather than me as the gamer. Embellished with his/her emotional struggle etc. This way I keep a log of what I've found and seen but share it with the wider world. However I don't think I will have the time to keep up to it. I'm sure once the game is out GTPers will share videos, pics and other stuff with the community.

As far as pop-in goes, it really bothers me in a game like Project CARS, where every race takes an age to load, only to discover a ton of pop-in once on track, but in a game this massive with literally no loading times, it's a trade-off I'm happy with. I would imagine it is a limitation with using procedural generation on such a massive scale on a system as weak as PS4.

Edit: I also had a ton of stuttering in the video, and was a little worried until the screen switched to show Shaun and that other dude talking, and the video of them was stuttering and tearing just as badly. I was relieved to discover it was just my dodgy old laptop at fault lol.

Oh yeah, a wiki would be totally pointless from a game guide/walk through point of view, but since those planets might never be seen again, it would be great to have them recorded in one place so everybody gets to experience them somewhat.

It would be hugely time consuming and somewhat pointless, but as someone who just browses through wiki reading random pages for no good reason it would be fun nonetheless.

Oh yeah, a wiki would be totally pointless from a game guide/walk through point of view, but since those planets might never be seen again, it would be great to have them recorded in one place so everybody gets to experience them somewhat.

It would be hugely time consuming and somewhat pointless but fun nonetheless.

Since I'm interested in the trading aspect of the game, I hope prices for items are universal, so that way I'm not getting rich in one star system and completely ripped off in the next.

Dan
Since I'm interested in the trading aspect of the game, I hope prices for items are universal, so that way I'm not getting rich in one star system and completely ripped off in the next.

IIRC it was said in one video that people who play as traders might find a specific trade route that is very profitable, and might choose to stay there a while to make a lot of money. This to me sounds like different resources might have different values in different systems. It will also depend on your standing with different races as to what you can sell resources to them for.

IIRC it was said in one video that people who play as traders might find a specific trade route that is very profitable, and might choose to stay there a while to make a lot of money. This to me sounds like different resources might have different values in different systems. It will also depend on your standing with different races as to what you can sell resources to them for.

Thanks for the info. Have they explained how long it takes before the sentinels start hunting you down and the time it takes for your "wanted level" to go away? I imagine that if I'm blasting away at mineral deposits, sentinels will begin to notice me and attack. However, I've heard they only pursue you if you're destroying the land with explosives, not just going for resource clusters.

Dan
Thanks for the info. Have they explained how long it takes before the sentinels start hunting you down and the time it takes for your "wanted level" to go away? I imagine that if I'm blasting away at mineral deposits, sentinels will begin to notice me and attack. However, I've heard they only pursue you if you're destroying the land with explosives, not just going for resource clusters.

I remember an interview where they said it was okay to get minerals but too many would get the sentinels after you. Also braking into alien houses downgrades your relationship with the aliens, which would be nice to keep friendly for trading..

Back