No Man's SkyPS4 

• Thread starter iainn
  • 1,425 comments
There is a huge chance I won't be playing anything but this game for over a year at the minimum.

I think it could be a game that hooks some people for years but most will find it a bit boring.
So uh... the thinking man's Destiny, then? :lol:

Glad to hear this is getting a physical PS4 release. That box art is too sexy to not have in my collection.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Edit:

Amazon has the standard version for pre order at £49.00 but Game has a limited edition version for order...

image.jpeg

£70.00!!!!

Are they kidding, a poxy book, steel case and basic DLC for an extra £20.00. No thanks Game.

Edit #2:

Just preordered on Amazon. I'll also be picking up the vinyl soundtrack from iam8bit.

Last edited:
More interesting stuff coming now as we creep ever closer. This time the sound, just like the creatures and planets etc it's all procedural.

Edit, apparently not new info.

I almost wee'd a little when I was casually skimming through the PS store and saw the pre-order for NMS yesterday lol. I've just finished watching a bunch of videos from people who played it recently, and now I'm more excited than ever. Yes, some people might find it boring. I have a friend who pretty much only plays online FPS like COD and Battlefield, and people with similar tastes in games to him will likely not be even remotely interested in NMS. For me personally, however, I find it fascinating, and I enjoy games that are so different. Not to mention I'm a big sci-fi fan, so I have no doubt, from everything I've read, seen, and heard about NMS, that I'm going to love it.

I've decided to pre-order it, which is a big deal for me, as I simply refuse to pre-order anything these days. To me, this will be worth whatever I pay for it, and I really just want it asap. I plan to pre-order from my local game store though, as I want a hard copy, and I want the special edition. Not long to wait now!

Yes, some people might find it boring. I have a friend who pretty much only plays online FPS like COD and Battlefield, and people with similar tastes in games to him will likely not be even remotely interested in NMS. For me personally, however, I find it fascinating, and I enjoy games that are so different. Not to mention I'm a big sci-fi fan, so I have no doubt, from everything I've read, seen, and heard about NMS, that I'm going to love it.
I love the concept of exploring and surviving in space on a virtually endless number of worlds, but with procedurally-generated games of this sort there's always the question of, "what is there to do?" To an extent, Minecraft and its ilk can be excused as an outlet for creativity, but for me there's gotta be more. The appeal of Minecraft is very short-lived and it feels like a colossal waste of time after that.

I've settled on getting a PS4 for my racing game needs, so I've only just started taking a closer look at NMS. I'm curious to see what all there is for gameplay; I know the end goal is to reach the center of the star map (for what reason and what waits there?), and that there's crafting and trading, "police" robots that will attack you if you misbehave, pirates, and some caves to explore. And a rumor that 90% of the planets are uninhabited wastelands? But no building stuff?

I love the concept of exploring and surviving in space on a virtually endless number of worlds, but with procedurally-generated games of this sort there's always the question of, "what is there to do?" To an extent, Minecraft and its ilk can be excused as an outlet for creativity, but for me there's gotta be more. The appeal of Minecraft is very short-lived and it feels like a colossal waste of time after that.

I've settled on getting a PS4 for my racing game needs, so I've only just started taking a closer look at NMS. I'm curious to see what all there is for gameplay; I know the end goal is to reach the center of the star map (for what reason and what waits there?), and that there's crafting and trading, "police" robots that will attack you if you misbehave, pirates, and some caves to explore. And a rumor that 90% of the planets are uninhabited wastelands? But no building stuff?

There's also a survival component to the gameplay, which also involves the crafting system, and there's a kind of open ended story. Well, not a story in the traditional sense of the word in a videogame, but more a lore of the universe, that you can uncover if you wish (and try hard enough I guess). There are several alien races, all of which have unique languages that you can learn one word at a time from finding things like ancient obelisks. Learning the languages apparently will allow you to better interact with the aliens, enabling better trading and finding out information about the universe.

We have been slowly drip-fed info about the game for years now, and I believe it's because Hello Games didn't want to give too much away, as the game is very much a survival exploration game at heart, and supports numerous play styles.

As for the centre of the galaxy, nobody knows what will be there, and HG have even said that it's likely most people won't end up making it there, or even try to make it there, as it's completely optional. The point of going to the centre is to see what's there, and if you're looking for some kind of progression to the game, I believe this will be the objective of your play time. In order to get there, you'll need to play for a long time, doing whatever it takes to get the technology required. The planets and star systems closer to the centre will be far more difficult than the outer rim systems players start on, so if you mission to the centre, you will find it gets more and more difficult.

Edit: Lastly, there are still a number of things we know nothing about, and I doubt we'll be told much more before release. The reason for that is the same as the reason there's no map or hand holding when playing. They want the game to be proper survival and proper exploration. You will literally be mostly the first and only person to see the things you see, and the game won't be helping you to find out how everything works and where stuff is. Personally, I find the whole idea and approach very refreshing in today's game landscape. PS4 has great games of all types, and so much to choose from, but NMS will provide a genuinely unique experience.

Last edited:
@Wolfe from what I've gathered from the slew of videos and interviews online, getting to the centre of the Universe is one of many goals which may only take around 50/60 hours of gameplay if you concentrated on that goal.

At this time we haven't seen any building facility but I wouldn't put it past Sean Murray & his team to be thinking about adding something like this. However as things stand the Universe is yours only with any minor changes only visible by you.

The only things which can be seen by other players is the names which you give to planets, moons & thier inhabitants. This suggests any building functions for large scale changes could be built in but the main and fundamental structure to the way in which the server updates would need to change.

I doubt there will be building, it would fundamentally change the way the servers would need to operate, as currently the information stored isn't that significant thanks to everything being procedurally generated. If everyone was able to build stuff, it'd have to be stored too, which would end up being quite a lot of data. I don't see the need for building anyway. It's fine on a game like Ark, but NMS doesn't just have one open world map, it has 18.4 quintillion planets in a full galaxy to explore. Building wouldn't serve much purpose in a game where you're unlikely to ever see another player. It'd just add unnecessary complexity IMO.

Edit: Sorry I should have worded that differently. The information stored is only significant things like discoveries. A star system that has been discovered will be stored, meaning everything that has been generated, including any names given to things, will be saved and generated exactly the same every time any player goes there. Killing some animals or mining a hole in the ground isn't stored because otherwise the amount of data being stored would quickly get out of hand. The same is true of buildings. With 18 and a half quintillion full sized planets in the game, the potential mount of structures would be simply staggering, and the data being stored would be too much.

I personally don't see why I would ever want to build something in NMS, as I would never stay on one planet long enough to ever use any buildings. It'd get incredibly boring staying on one planet building a hut just to chill in it by yourself, knowing how much is out there you're not exploring.

Edit #2: Here's a nice breakdown of most things we know at this stage:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-play-no-mans-sky-a-detailed-breakdown/1100-6435316/

Last edited:
I'm getting more excited for this game after every video I watch. This game seems like it will be very polarizing; people will either absolutely love it or hate it after only 2 hours of play. I'm looking forward to picking it up after I hear some feedback from you guys and once I've finally finished Fallout 4.

This game should provide some solid entertainment while waiting for PD to release the next GT game.

Some pretty interesting new titbits here.

That was excellent. I've not heard that interview before but it must be quite old as later on the interviewer asks when in 2015 it's releasing. Sean Murray seems like such a nice guy. His enthusiasm and openness sells it to me.

That was excellent. I've not heard that interview before but it must be quite old as later on the interviewer asks when in 2015 it's releasing. Sean Murray seems like such a nice guy. His enthusiasm and openness sells it to me.

Yeh it's pretty old but there were a few bits I wasn't aware of and it seems Game Informer posted it up 6 days ago.

Some more bits of info I've not heard before.

Like the easy travel we've seen its made easy for the press and will be much more difficult for us players come launch.

Also the plans so far, are to make it slow going getting off your home planet and the slower still heading out into space at large.

Not if you pre order it. You get a hyper drive ship straight away.

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, I really want to pre-order the special edition, because I've been following this for a while, and I find the whole concept awesome, so I want not only a physical copy of the game, but the best copy I can buy. On the other hand however, if I start out with a hyperdrive and other things that give me a head start (cash or resources), I feel like I'll be missing out on the rewarding feeling of actually starting from nothing and working my way off the first planet and out of the first system. I feel like those first steps will be great and really rewarding to those who start with nothing, whereas those starting with pre-order/special edition bonuses will just completely miss that whole part of the experience.

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, I really want to pre-order the special edition, because I've been following this for a while, and I find the whole concept awesome, so I want not only a physical copy of the game, but the best copy I can buy. On the other hand however, if I start out with a hyperdrive and other things that give me a head start (cash or resources), I feel like I'll be missing out on the rewarding feeling of actually starting from nothing and working my way off the first planet and out of the first system. I feel like those first steps will be great and really rewarding to those who start with nothing, whereas those starting with pre-order/special edition bonuses will just completely miss that whole part of the experience.

I know what you mean. I am pre ordering it but I'm going to stay on my start planet for a while just to experience it for the first day at least - whilst not using a pre order bonuses if I can avoid it. Then I plan on visiting a new system every day I play the game....

Looks like it would be really cool to explore around with a friend, but I don't think I would be able to play it by myself for very long. Might pick it up, might not. Depends on the price here I guess.

If it's a code you put in you can opt out of using it. Redeem it later after you've gotten the desired start. I feel the same way, tempting, but spoils the game.

Yeah hopefully it is just a redeemable PSN code for the bonuses. If so, I'll definitely not use the codes until I've already made good progress.

Looks like it would be really cool to explore around with a friend, but I don't think I would be able to play it by myself for very long. Might pick it up, might not. Depends on the price here I guess.

I was talking to a mate of mine a few weeks ago about the game, and we both decided that whichever one of us got to the centre first, would wait for the other. Regardless of what is at the centre of the universe, it'd make a great meeting spot to finally be able to meet up and do some exploring with a friend. Only thing is, you'd have to only play the game when you're both able to, because it'd be so easy to lose each other and wind up alone again.

Edit: Can we get the thread title updated? We've known the release date for a while now, but others who haven't heard of the game might get confused by the title.

I also plan on starting from scratch without using the redeemable codes or however they do it.

It would be quite funny if the guys who just want to get the best off the bat find out that even though you get a hyperdrive it's only Lvl 1 which can only help with small jumps within your system and going to the next system is going to take some graft.

Back